Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

dissecting a show down to graphics :( can i apologize for that or is it too late??? i like the show i think its really good even but thats a bridge too far.

thankfully i didnt make the graphics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

basic hitler posted:

The wire is good but it's just a competent police procedural. It doesnt deserve the fanatical worship it gets.

its because they swear a lot

sout
Apr 24, 2014

cool new Polack jokes posted:

its because they swear a lot

good username/tv show combo

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

numberoneposter posted:

walt doing that speach in the school gym was him putting all the nails in the coffin all at once to remove himself from the school system without actually saying he quits

Oh man had to look this up to remember how it plays out. Awesome scene. I think once he gets past talking about how 747 crashes are worse than 737 crashes, its actually a pretty good speech!

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Lol, imagine being so retardedly sheltered and/or white-suburban that you think The Wire is common, network TV schlock that does nothing different or says anything interesting.

Also,

FuhrerHat posted:

i like that, at teh end of the day, they really were saved by a robot

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

ProperCoochie posted:

Lol, imagine being so retardedly sheltered and/or white-suburban that you think The Wire is common, network TV schlock that does nothing different or says anything interesting.

2003 called

Everything the wire did was revolutionary, you are right about that

Now there are similar and better shows

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

deadwood really is the best show

im con stapleton when he gets the nasty case of the old horn

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
True Detective s1 is the best tv drama to date.

Mad Men is up there though

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

cool new Polack jokes posted:

2003 called

Everything the wire did was revolutionary, you are right about that

Now there are similar and better shows

Which shows do you think are better written than The Wire?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Zorodius posted:

degrassi + degrassi jr high

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Toadvine posted:

True Detective s1 is the best tv drama to date.

Mad Men is up there though

mad men is the show that people proclaim breaking bad being
the stuff it has to say at the end of the day is also way more interesting imo

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Zorodius posted:

the critic

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Zorodius posted:

Breaking Bad for one. Don't make me choose!

I love when they say A police, I know it's a regional thing but man does it sound unnatural

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Snooze Cruise posted:

mad men is the show that people proclaim breaking bad being
the stuff it has to say at the end of the day is also way more interesting imo

I was caught way off guard by Mad Men in the best possible way. Breaking Bad was entertaining but mad men was nuanced and thought provoking.

Also I imagine a lot of people misunderstood Don Draper's presence in the show the same way Walter White gets misinterpreted by viewers

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Zorodius posted:

The Walking Dead

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Zorodius posted:

bullet in the face

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The main thing that bugs me about Skylurrrs character is that the entire point is that Walt doesn't make enough to support his family. It's implied that Skylar is kind of not good at working because her "job" is like a sell-on-amazon thing. But later in the series she kicks rear end at every job.

Why didn't she just be good at working at the start of the series. To be a stay at home mom for her teenager?

I feel like Skyler was done for in the eyes of many a viewer in the first episode, when she gave Walt a half assed handy for his 50th

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Too real

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Skyler's actress (Anna Gunn (?)) plays the main character's wife on Deadwood

NOW U KNOW

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Blue Raider posted:

true detective season 1 is the best tv has ever been. ill also accept arguments for deadwood
I clicked on this thread to roll my eyes at another *popular thing is bad* thread but...yep, this is true. The official TV opinion of GBS right here.

The wire is also great and babylon 5 is the best sci-fi.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

some guy on the bus posted:

The Walking Dead

Lmbo

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Also breaking bad is a bit less interesting to me since I saw the sopranos, which hit a lot of the same beats except years earlier. I also just straight up like james gandolfini more than malcolm's dad. Both shows had their miss episodes but I was more frustrated by breaking bad's.

EDIT:

The Walking Dead
fuckin' banned for trolling

sout
Apr 24, 2014

The Walking Dead

well i beg your pardon

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Also breaking bad is a bit less interesting to me since I saw the sopranos, which hit a lot of the same beats except years earlier. I also just straight up like james gandolfini more than malcolm's dad. Both shows had their miss episodes but I was more frustrated by breaking bad's.

EDIT:

fuckin' banned for trolling
gandolfini rules RIP

hes like the lovable pyschotic mobster version of homer simpson that wants to do well by his family but fucks it up anyways, except when he fucks up other people die

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I don't think the sopranos is comparable to bb other than they both focus on a middle aged white criminal

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Blue Train posted:

I don't think the sopranos is comparable to bb other than they both focus on a middle aged white criminal
maybe not, both are mostly told from the point of view of the main characters downfall with little asides just to keep the viewer informed on dramatic irony

tons of other stuff, moral ambiguity, visceral "real" violence, fun with music and cuts, family vs other family

i think they are very apt for comparison

i could only imagine the show BB would have been if given the HBO budget and blank check to do whatever

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 5, 2017

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

bb is the best show but if you want to be hipster edgy just say you can't understand the appeal

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Hbo turned it down, and yea I would to see the alternate reality where they didn't because I'll bet it would be even better

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

the show has a vastly different style in presentation which makes since because i dont think you could get a younger MILLENNIAL :rolleye: to sit through The Godfather without instagraming their privates to their followers and yet breaking bad found the younger viewers attracted, the BB production is amazing

there is some interview with the creator david chase saying it was an insane risk since sex and the city was doing so well and sopranos was going to be a bunch of made fat guys in track suits talking about corruption and the garbage business

:corsair:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The entire motif of being a ruthless criminal while also ostensibly a family man is like, note for note. If you flipped the actors involved, the scenes with Tony's wife would be indistinguishable from those with Walt's wife.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

oz was a really good show. why do people always forget it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Maybe I should rewatch the sopranos I didnt realise its been so long since it ended

E: oz started good but got tiresome like halfway through. Lots of good bitcher scenes tho

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Blue Train posted:

who claims to love his family and do it all for them, when really hes a violent narcissist in it for himself/the thrill of it

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

the sopranos had the shrink to inform the viewer

im not sure any other show has taken that risk really

cant say i blame them when i watched the show for the first time i fast forwarded a lot of that

shame she was a great actress i just didnt think it worked

tony showed you enough of what a peice of poo poo he was, but maybe him trying to bluntly lie about it gave his character skin some more hide

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Train posted:

Italians aren't white

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Italians aren't white
:discourse:

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Italians aren't white

dennishoppertrueromancemonologue.mp4

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The entire motif of being a ruthless criminal while also ostensibly a family man is like, note for note. If you flipped the actors involved, the scenes with Tony's wife would be indistinguishable from those with Walt's wife.
without getting off topic can you put in a good word for my buddy nooner maybe just a 30 day prob ill leave it at that #freenooner

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I swear with True Detective season 1, they only really planned the first six episodes, and the final two were slopped together once they realized how vulnerable they were without the nice flashback device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

is there any show with a quality gap between seasons as bad as true detective.

• Locked thread