Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/849037799445733376

This guy is the worst. Too bad he's going to hold his seat until he dies.

I engraved a bible of his once - he'd frequent the Catholic supply stuff I used to work at whenever there was a Lege session going on.

And that's my personal anecdote about an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/04/04/austin-bus-crash-brings-concerns-about-texting-and-driving-ban/

Some good news, although Perry is still a dickbag for vetoing it in 2011. My city has a no texting ordinance and they ticket the gently caress out of people for it; would be great to see it implemented statewide.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

American nativism: bad

Austin nativism: good???

http://kut.org/post/op-ed-austin-native-citys-narrative-increasingly-formed-transplants

This really pissed me off for some reason. Partly because of the implication that only people born in Austin should get a say about what happens here, and partly because of the implication that everyone who moved here is a rich hipster. Also that if you're not from Austin, you're "transient."

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

IT BURNS posted:

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/04/04/austin-bus-crash-brings-concerns-about-texting-and-driving-ban/

Some good news, although Perry is still a dickbag for vetoing it in 2011. My city has a no texting ordinance and they ticket the gently caress out of people for it; would be great to see it implemented statewide.

It's retarded because it's already against the law and our retarded police are going to have a great time with this

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Badger of Basra posted:

http://kut.org/post/op-ed-austin-native-citys-narrative-increasingly-formed-transplants

This really pissed me off for some reason. Partly because of the implication that only people born in Austin should get a say about what happens here, and partly because of the implication that everyone who moved here is a rich hipster. Also that if you're not from Austin, you're "transient."

Isn't the same with any big/growing city? People come up with some kind of arbitrary way to distinguish the "good ones" (themselves and the people they like) from the "bad ones" (insert petty bitching here.) Give it long enough and the transplants'll be doing it too.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

Isn't the same with any big/growing city? People come up with some kind of arbitrary way to distinguish the "good ones" (themselves and the people they like) from the "bad ones" (insert petty bitching here.) Give it long enough and the transplants'll be doing it too.

Yeah I'm sure it's the same for any city that used to be small(er) and is getting big(ger). But now people are doing the complaining about the city I live in so I'm mad!

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Badger of Basra posted:

No one should be proud to be from dove springs

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Badger of Basra posted:

Yeah I'm sure it's the same for any city that used to be small(er) and is getting big(ger). But now people are doing the complaining about the city I live in so I'm mad!

But don't you see? Now you're doing it, too! You've become what you hated, the cycle is complete!!!

Less faceriously, as a recent arrival to Austin who isn't planning on staying for the long haul, I'm oddly ok with "transient" as a label for myself. Kind of lovely to talk about everyone new that way, though. Where does public radio find these people?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

"In the past year I have become obsessed with the phrase AUSTIN NATIVE. I’ve written it on the side of hats and had the phrase made into buttons. It has become a rallying cry".

What the gently caress is he "rallying" for? Anything specific that "transients" are doing? Are people moving to Austin and just saying "hahaha gently caress this place, I live here but I ain't from here."

quote:

"It is entirely likely that by the time I am ready to buy a home, I won’t be able to afford to live in the neighborhood I grew up in."

That's everywhere in Texas you dumb gently caress. Houses aren't loving cheap. This isn't the 1950's where everyone gets a house.

What the gently caress is this guy even talking about? He's a faculty member at an adult education writing school and this is the worst opinion article I've read all year. NPR should be embarrassed that they posted this.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

As an Austinite since 1998, I've noticed that usually the native Austinites are usually more chill about how things have changed. It's the people who moved here 5-10 years ago who seem to be pissed off about all the people who moved here <5 years ago.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

LanceHunter posted:

As an Austinite since 1998, I've noticed that usually the native Austinites are usually more chill about how things have changed. It's the people who moved here 5-10 years ago who seem to be pissed off about all the people who moved here <5 years ago.

I think it's because we got our frustrations out a while ago. Also we remember the 90's when Austin was kinda sleepy trying to get someone, anyone to move in.

Meanwhile a lot of newer people have had this image of the city sold to them, and then when that image doesn't always work out they look for people to blame. Obviously when it comes to traffic the proper solution is to blame anyone newer than them who came here for clogging up the roads that they thought were perfectly fine 5-10 years ago (they weren't, they were always some level of clusterfuck, but newer people think they were).

Also when it comes to traffic, I think the longer you're here, the more likely you are to figure out "avoid commuting along I-35 if you possibly can" which does wonders for lowering blood pressure.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Badger of Basra posted:

Agreed, it's such a dumb problem. People shouldn't talk about how great their city is for decades and not expect people to move there. The natives that think only they should have a say in the city should have done a better job with infrastructure/transportation planning. Maybe Austin will get a light rail by 2040.

LanceHunter posted:

This always makes me laugh because I came across a lot of it also. Anyone that moved to Austin this century and says things like "don't move here" or "Austin is full" can gently caress off.

EwokEntourage posted:

No one should be proud to be from dove springs
Not everyone can afford to grow up in a nice neighborhood.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 5, 2017

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

It should piss you off, it's stupid as hell. Nativism is stupid in all its forms. If someone is a valuable member to a community it doesn't matter where you were born or when you arrived. It's nice to have historical context if you have it, but society isn't something that should be frozen in amber forever-unchanging. This guy should grow the gently caress up.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I was born in Austin, and there is something to be said for the effects of the growth pushing lower and even lower - middle class natives out of the city, but I don't blame the transplants for that. It does feel like Austin is gradually becoming more and more of a playground for the rich sometimes though.

Also our roads are loving garbage, of course.

edit: Only 90s kids will remember when 78704 was 787affordable.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 5, 2017

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Spacebump posted:

Not everyone can afford to grow up in a nice neighborhood.

Don't have to be proud of it. No one is like yea I'm glad I grew up around 12th and airport or 52nd and rundberg.

People proud to be from terry town or people repping the 49 are stupid as well

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
I'm glad I grew up around MLK and Springdale.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Office Pig posted:

I like to think this suggests that Rick Perry really is doing nothing whatsoever as Secretary.

Low Energy

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Nativism is dumb yeah. There's also the "narcissism of small differences." I'm from DFW, lived in Austin for awhile, and now live in DFW. Cities and places are primarily about options, but people are more or less the same wherever you go.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I'm from Georgetown am I allowed to complain or what?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Xibanya posted:

I'm from Georgetown am I allowed to complain or what?

Only if you invested with this guy:

http://techcrunch.com/2017/02/16/transcend-vr-sues-investor-mike-rothenberg-for-fraud-and-breach-of-contract/

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/benphilpottkut/status/850030997576048647

:toot:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Whoa, wait this isn't the worst though? What happened? I thought the House was full of irredeemable shitheads who would always mash the "gently caress the poor" button whenever they had the option.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Whoa, wait this isn't the worst though? What happened? I thought the House was full of irredeemable shitheads who would always mash the "gently caress the poor" button whenever they had the option.

No, that's the Senate. The House is the only reason we haven't had vouchers for a long time.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Badger of Basra posted:

No, that's the Senate. The House is the only reason we haven't had vouchers for a long time.

The House has a block of reps from West Texas and super-rural areas who don't want what little tax money they have for the, like, one school per county in their district to get siphoned away for charter and private schools in Dallas and Houston. They know that never in a million years will there be a charter school opening in Upton or Crockett County, so why should the reps from there give those schools any state money?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

The House has a block of reps from West Texas and super-rural areas who don't want what little tax money they have for the, like, one school per county in their district to get siphoned away for charter and private schools in Dallas and Houston. They know that never in a million years will there be a charter school opening in Upton or Crockett County, so why should the reps from there give those schools any state money?

[Suburban conservative voice] why do y'all hate freedom?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
The trick is to make rural Reps choose between a reprehensible act, or slightly defunding 6 man football.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Also in today's Texas House does something potentially good

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/04/06/amid-clash-over-procedure-texas-house-moves-defund-enterprise-fund/

Texas Tribune posted:

The Texas House on Thursday voted to defund Gov. Greg Abbott’s Texas Enterprise Fund, a controversial economic development program, and use that funding for services for vulnerable children.

But the vote, made quickly and without a record of members’ positions on it during a marathon debate over the House budget, led to an impassioned speech from a Tea Party Republican over what he alleged were the House’s sneaky methods of avoiding difficult votes.

“My voice has been silenced by a bunch of manipulation of this booklet right here,” said Tea Party firebrand Rep. Jonathan Stickland of Bedford while gesturing at the House’s rule book.

The fact that this amendment was put and passed through by someone from my home area of the Rio Grande Valley and somewhere as small and isolated as Mission/Palmview makes me so happy. Even more so that it has Stickland throwing a poo poo fit.

RGV represent! Also worth noting that while Stickland was going on a tirade members started filing out to go watch The Masters.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 7, 2017

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/ewaltersTX/status/850176816044269569

https://twitter.com/ewaltersTX/status/850183010800586756

lmao

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I find opposition to feral hog measures very suspicious and am reminded of the end of Animal Farm.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I'm on board with literally anything to piss off Stickland, gently caress that guy forever.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Yep, but on the other hand incidentally loving over cities is not cool. I really hope that is on something that never would get passed in the first place

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Yep, but on the other hand incidentally loving over cities is not cool. I really hope that is on something that never would get passed in the first place

It's the budget.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hmmmmmm, tough call. Definitely punishing a town harshly for its shitbag rep, but then again they did elect a huge shitbag to represent them soooooooooo ...

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
yeah, but not everyone did. If there only was a way to target stuff only for people who explicitly voted for htings...

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I don't think you can ban republicans from using the roads

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

I don't think you can ban republicans from using the roads

smart cars :getin:

*doo doo dooooo* "I'm sorry, I see youre a fuckwit voter. As such your car is not allowed to proceed onto this TXDoT roadway. You always have the option to take public transportation. Good Day."

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Bedford's roads are already doing just fine. Really, spending more state money on the already-pristine roads in that suburb is complete pork.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
gently caress it, civility died ages ago

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Mayor of Houston is a danged weeaboo.

https://twitter.com/sylvesterturner/status/850409538306134021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

It's not full weeaboo until we see a fox tail coming out the back of that suit. We need those pics to confirm.