Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WhyteRyce posted:

I want to live in a real world where million-dollar condos are just traded around like office chairs

I mean, all three parties are millionaires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Even though the Queens aren't wealthy, they we previously obscenely wealthy. 0.01% sort of wealthy. The takeover and the loss of their parents largely just moved Oliver and Thea down a few decimal places. They're likely still somewhere in the 1% purely from annuities and investments their parents' made that'll continue to payout.

Felicity is a harder case unless she left with a bunch of Palmer Tech stock.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

STAC Goat posted:

Are they? Slade took away all of the Queens' major assets, so they were probably down to whatever liquid money they had at the time. That was probably a lot, but they lived on it for three years before Oliver became mayor. Oliver is now probably making in excess of 100,000 a year as mayor. I don't know what Thea's official position is. And Felicity was in charge of Palmer industries for what, three months? And then she got kicked out for being terrible. The're all wealthy, but I don't if all three of them are actually millionaires.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

It's weird to claim that it is both a normal, real world people stuff and also something that makes sense because everyone involved is a millionaire.

Wasn't Palmer Tech bankrolling a large part of Oliver's campaign? I assume if he had the ability to blow off millions without a thought he would have just bankrolled the campaign on his own

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

She was CEO of Palmer Tech so I assume she got a nice settlement when she was fired. Granted, she's spent a LOT on the HQ and equipment but I guess you can either ignore that as comic math or assume she was embezzling from the company.

Or maybe Curtis managed to hold onto his patent on his literal cure for paralysis.

Thea and Oliver probably got a nice payoff from Queen Industries being sold and another one from Moira's life insurance. Then Thea has more from Merlyn.

And like, maybe they just have good stock brokers or own lots of stock in Palmer Tech. They're rich and it seems silly to worry that in America in 2017 rich people can't just stay rich through the power of being rich, especially on a show that asks us to suspend disbelief in so many much more extreme ways.

WhyteRyce posted:

It's weird to claim that it is both a normal, real world people stuff and also something that makes sense because everyone involved is a millionaire.

Not really?

People change their living arrangements due to relationships and real world changes all the time. Rich people do the same, just on a more expensive level.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

Not really?

People change their living arrangements due to relationships and real world changes all the time. Rich people do the same, just on a more expensive level.

No one is saying Felicity couldn't move into the apartment that used to be Thea's, just that it's kind of funny that Thea owned (or owns) the drat thing yet Felicity is now the one occupying it and complaining that people other than her are using it.

It's a minor thing to knit pick but it's an annoyance like how flame guns never seem to burn anyone.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 5, 2017

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Alright, gently caress the apartment stuff, but it all brings up an interesting question I don't remember being mentioned at least in a long time: Where the gently caress does Oliver live? The lair?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WhyteRyce posted:

No one is saying Felicity couldn't move into the apartment that used to be Thea's, just that it's kind of funny that Thea owned (or owns) the drat thing yet Felicity is now the one occupying it and complaining that people other than her are using it.

I mean, did we really need a scene where Thea transfers ownership to Felicity or something? It just seems really sillily nitpicky.

Lets just be satisfied talking about how silly and stupid Felicity's hacker plotline is. Because that's actually a real element of the show that they want us to care about and think about.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Alright, gently caress the apartment stuff, but it all brings up an interesting question I don't remember being mentioned at least in a long time: Where the gently caress does Oliver live? The lair?

I genuinely have no idea what the answer to this is.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Is Thea living in Laurel's apartment still?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

remember the one, secret apartment that Oliver went to in Season 2 (or was it 1?) when he bugged out and needed to be away from the team? it's that one, probably

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wait which apartment in Season 1 had Oliver and Laurel making out and stripping at a giant street level window in broad daylight so Tommy could see it from his car?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Space Crabs posted:

Wait which apartment in Season 1 had Oliver and Laurel making out and stripping at a giant street level window in broad daylight so Tommy could see it from his car?

Laurel's I assume, which I guess is now Thea's? Unless its a different apartment. I don't pretend to have ever cared enough about it to pay attention.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Firing Felicity wouldn't take away the shares she owns.

With those she shouldn't actually have been fireable, but still.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Where did Ollie sleep with reporter woman? Her place?

Don't a lot of big US cities have Mayoral Mansions/Manors/something? Or have I just played too much Sim City.

Also, in light of this season's quality turnaround from last, we should've had a new thread title, but now we're pretty far along.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 5, 2017

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Ollie sleeps face first on his mayor's desk. Then when the day starts, he wakes up and open palm slams a tape into the vcr in his office. It's footage of batman, and right then and there he

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I never thought about it before but now I'm choosing to believe that the entire reason his reporter girlfriend started investigating him in the first place is because he has no legal residence and she tracked him to an abandoned warehouse with a cot.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Maybe he just crashes at Digg's. They're bros and Lyla and sex-changed baby never seem to be there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Amell announced he's doing American Ninja Warrior on May 25th.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Who cares where Oliver lives. He never sleeps.

The more important news is that Stephen Amell announced he will be on American Ninja Warrior in May https://www.facebook.com/stephenamell/posts/1357684294316834
:swoon:

Edit: dammit Rhyno! That's what I get for leaving a window open before refreshing

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cool, I thought that was never going to happen with schedules/insurance/etc..

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I didn't actually realize that Amell was that kind of an athlete for real.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He does some parkour stuff as part of his workout routine for the show.

I wouldn't expect him to go too far unless this is like a celebrity easier version, but considering some of their champs have been like accountants and mailmen it's possible.

Edit: It would be pretty funny if he lost before the salmon ladder though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STAC Goat posted:

I didn't actually realize that Amell was that kind of an athlete for real.

Dude, he really does the salmon ladder!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Aphrodite posted:

He does some parkour stuff as part of his workout routine for the show.

I wouldn't expect him to go too far unless this is like a celebrity easier version, but considering some of their champs have been like accountants and mailmen it's possible.

Sure, but I assume the fact that he's competing at all means he's confident he won't make a total fool of himself. Which is a bit of a revelation in and of itself to me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STAC Goat posted:

Sure, but I assume the fact that he's competing at all means he's confident he won't make a total fool of himself. Which is a bit of a revelation in and of itself to me.

Are you on Facebook? Follow him on FB, he posts his workouts all the time. I think he's going to do very well.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Nah, and I don't really care or follow that outside the show stuff much at all. But I totally believe you. I just didn't know that until just now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STAC Goat posted:

Nah, and I don't really care or follow that outside the show stuff much at all. But I totally believe you. I just didn't know that until just now.

Also when I met him my girlfriend swooned. Dude is just rippling muscle.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

He'll be gone before they even get to the round with the Salmon Ladder because I seriously doubt he even finishes the qualifier. But it'll be fun to see.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

He'll be gone before they even get to the round with the Salmon Ladder because I seriously doubt he even finishes the qualifier. But it'll be fun to see.

:toxx:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Heck, my favorite ANW attempt was when the Red Ranger (from whatever the current TV iteration is, not the new movie) competed last year, and he went out on the first obstacle. Held on by his fingertips from a bad jump for a good 30-60 seconds trying to salvage it, though, and that's the kind of heart you want to see in a power ranger. You don't have to do well to do good.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 6, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I take it back only because I just read that it's a special Celebrity edition so I'm guessing it'll be a modified easier course.

That means he's not competing with actual people that do this year in and year out. So there's no timing. I'd guess the salmon ladder will be pretty early on instead of in the city final like with regular competitions.

X-O fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 6, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Xelkelvos posted:

Felicity is a harder case unless she left with a bunch of Palmer Tech stock.

That just leads to the issue of the show's writers not knowing the difference between an owner and a CEO.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I think the real question is why are Barry and Iris living in Thea's old apartment. :colbert:

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Iris won't be there for much longer.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I hope Oliver and Barry are roommates in Arrow Season 6.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Recently started season 2 after having watched and enjoyed season 1.
I take it by the longevity of this thread that the series has done well. But the opening of season 2 introduces a no killing rule and I'm immediately turned off. Not because he was exactly the Punisher before but I felt like they had established a balance of killing and apprehending that matched a guy who uses a bow and arrow. If it's going to be all "shoot the guns out of their hands" going forward, I'd much rather spend time with the other parallel series than a ton of episodes watching someone bend over backward to not kill while simultaneously choosing a lethal weapon. At least Batman isn't thematically tied to a deadly weapon.

As mentioned, I'm encouraged by the length of this thread that the journey was worth it, but they couldn't have thrown more cold water on my enthusiasm as they did with the season two premiere. Really feeling like skipping the Arrow seasons and just following The Flash, which I'm enjoying immensely. Until they start a season with him regularly stripping the flesh from his enemies bones. :black101:

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Ape Agitator posted:

Recently started season 2 after having watched and enjoyed season 1.
I take it by the longevity of this thread that the series has done well. But the opening of season 2 introduces a no killing rule and I'm immediately turned off. Not because he was exactly the Punisher before but I felt like they had established a balance of killing and apprehending that matched a guy who uses a bow and arrow. If it's going to be all "shoot the guns out of their hands" going forward, I'd much rather spend time with the other parallel series than a ton of episodes watching someone bend over backward to not kill while simultaneously choosing a lethal weapon. At least Batman isn't thematically tied to a deadly weapon.

As mentioned, I'm encouraged by the length of this thread that the journey was worth it, but they couldn't have thrown more cold water on my enthusiasm as they did with the season two premiere. Really feeling like skipping the Arrow seasons and just following The Flash, which I'm enjoying immensely. Until they start a season with him regularly stripping the flesh from his enemies bones. :black101:

This is an amazing post. It's like a time capsule.

Spoilers: Ollie stills kills people sometimes and Barry is the universe's most heinous serial killer.

Arrow S2 is great, 3 ok, 4 not great, 5 is good again.

Flash S2 is pretty bad. S3 is better but not great.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Longbaugh01 posted:

Legends S1 is terrible, 2 is fantastic

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Longbaugh01 posted:

Guy Goodbody posted:

Legends S1 is terrible, 2 is fantastic

I'm in for a rough time, apparently. I don't suppose any if these seasons are completely skippable, are they? drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Ape Agitator posted:

I take it by the longevity of this thread that the series has done well.
You obviously haven't read the thread title. :v:

I like the shows but they've all had ups and downs really. Flash hasn't been able to match it's 1st season at all, Arrow has been up and down etc. Supergirl is pretty good overall though.

• Locked thread