Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Mambo No. 5 posted:

I just noticed today that LB gets the vanguard creep-kill bonus. Are the other hybrids hiding stuff like that or do they get the dominion meta-bonuses for "both" of their roles?

edit: According to a wiki, the hybrids get "balanced" renown across all activities. I guess they get the bonus for doing everything? That seems like it would lead to hybrids out-pacing all the other classes. Or does that not really happen?

They're not as good at killing large amounts of grunts in a short period of time as Vanguards, generally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

im playing vs a ''''rep 30'''' warlord who is straight garbage

he absolutely didn't afk farm :allears:

I took a break from 4v4 modes cause of afk farmers and it's kinda annoying that after a banwave and promises and multiple patches they're still there

I just know they're drafting complex algorithms to detect "sticks-tied-together" movement when all they have to do is reward you jack poo poo for doing jack poo poo.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I've yet to encounter an afk farmer. Afk folks sure, in the sense that they had to walk away from the game for a minute, or connection was being a bitch, but poo poo, I've done that.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

mellowjournalism posted:

I took a break from 4v4 modes cause of afk farmers and it's kinda annoying that after a banwave and promises and multiple patches they're still there

I just know they're drafting complex algorithms to detect "sticks-tied-together" movement when all they have to do is reward you jack poo poo for doing jack poo poo.

Since the ban wave I've seen one so far. Granted I haven't been touching dominion nearly as much as I used to.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I ran into back-to-back farmers in Dominion vs AI yesterday. Skirmish and Elimination though, I've never seen it.

I also ran in to my first Swastika emblem yesterday. Yay gamers.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Kainser posted:

If you are bad at avoiding the charge (it's really not that hard to dodge it) then of course the Shugoki is going to spam it. The ones I fight use it once at the start at the fight and then never again.

I don't think the charge itself is a problem, but the threat of it. If I see a Shugoki sprinting at me I know they're probably either going to charge me, which requires a side step, or guard break me, which means I need to stand still to tech it. It's a 50/50 that I haven't found any way to really punish. You could roll away but that takes more stamina than his charge and if he keeps it up chances are he's going to get you eventually.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

moosecow333 posted:

I don't think the charge itself is a problem, but the threat of it. If I see a Shugoki sprinting at me I know they're probably either going to charge me, which requires a side step, or guard break me, which means I need to stand still to tech it. It's a 50/50 that I haven't found any way to really punish. You could roll away but that takes more stamina than his charge and if he keeps it up chances are he's going to get you eventually.

All the assassins have that spinning side dodge thing which usually avoids the charge, guarantees a free hit, and is immune to guard break. If you're not playing an assassin, roll away from the first one and then try to stay close to them whenever possible so they can't get enough distance from you to run and charge again.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Trillhouse posted:

I ran into back-to-back farmers in Dominion vs AI yesterday. Skirmish and Elimination though, I've never seen it.

I also ran in to my first Swastika emblem yesterday. Yay gamers.

A week ago I ran into a -full group- using the same nazi SS Bolts symbols.

And then later running into more using the same symbol.

Yay.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 2, 2017

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I can see them having success banning swastikas but I wouldn't hold my breath for the rest of histories bad guy sigils.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Do you have to participate in the event to get the crates? Because if you do, I'm boned. I can't make it through a dominion pvp game without getting an error code. I'm 0/3 today, but I'll keep trying.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Mambo No. 5 posted:

Do you have to participate in the event to get the crates? Because if you do, I'm boned. I can't make it through a dominion pvp game without getting an error code. I'm 0/3 today, but I'll keep trying.

nah you get them regardless. i do jack poo poo for the events and still get crates.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

flashman posted:

I can see them having success banning swastikas but I wouldn't hold my breath for the rest of histories bad guy sigils.

Be sure to report them because yep, they've said that they are punishing people for them and I've seen as much with people occasionally whining about it on rebbit and 4chins.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Mambo No. 5 posted:

It's already completed, you will get the crates

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Thank you God, finally some LB buffs. May be time to finally dip my toes back into this game.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

All the assassins have that spinning side dodge thing which usually avoids the charge, guarantees a free hit, and is immune to guard break. If you're not playing an assassin, roll away from the first one and then try to stay close to them whenever possible so they can't get enough distance from you to run and charge again.

Real quick, what's this spinning dodge thing? I don't remember seeing a sidestep that was immune to guard breaks.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Hydrocodone posted:

Real quick, what's this spinning dodge thing? I don't remember seeing a sidestep that was immune to guard breaks.

Dodge left or right and instantly light attack, it'll put you in an attack animation so you dodge a vortex and are immune to a GB.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
This is the kinda salt I normally see when playing this game.

This is the level of salt I get when I play Conqueror.

Like my god, if I saved this stuff I could make a 10 minute compilation video of the amount of times people have raged in chat or ragequit as they died right before the end of match rewards.

You CAN dodge the shield bash guys, come on.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 3, 2017

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Why is it even possible to use revenge in a 1v1 scenario :negative:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Like my god, if I saved this stuff I could make a 10 minute compilation video of the amount of times people have raged in chat or ragequit as they died right before the end of match rewards.

Going up against conquerors as Shugo makes me glad I don't play any of the usual characters. Dealing with the vortex when I'm out of stamina is annoying enough, I don't really know how other characters deal with that as well as not being able to attack you through all-block. When a Conq tries to turtle against me I just charge -> heavy them over and over and get the "IS THAT ALL YOU KNOW HOW TO DO?" counter salt.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Big surprise, I jumped on today and saw that we were still a few thousand away from the event goal. One fourth of the first dominion goal still didn't get finished between friday and sunday. The player base must have shrunk a lot. In case it matters, I'm on xbone and fight for vikings.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I'll pop back in once the patch is live

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I'll pop back in once the patch is live

Same, though on PC.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Mambo No. 5 posted:

Big surprise, I jumped on today and saw that we were still a few thousand away from the event goal. One fourth of the first dominion goal still didn't get finished between friday and sunday. The player base must have shrunk a lot. In case it matters, I'm on xbone and fight for vikings.

Oh I assumed the event goals were cross-platform. Guess not because the PS4 one was completed 3 days ago

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Mambo No. 5 posted:

Some people have stopped playing specifically during the event as part of a protest.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Wandle Cax posted:

Oh I assumed the event goals were cross-platform. Guess not because the PS4 one was completed 3 days ago

Yeah, the PC one was finished ages ago as well.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

For what it's worth, the issues with the shield bash are that it
a) tracks like a motherfucker and has one of the narrowest viable dodge-windows, probably only beaten by the Warlord's headbutt in that regard, and
b) is almost entirely safe, not even the assassins' dodge-attacks seem to be a guaranteed punish.

So that just makes it intensely boring the play against. Similar to the Warden's vortex, you're at a significant risk of taking damage (or are just outright boned if out of stamina or up against a wall), but even when you do everything right the best you can hope for is to reset to neutral. There's no meaningful counterplay outside of intuiting when the next one comes and pre-empting it with a light as it winds up, which is just a gamble.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Oh no.

Please help me.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

7c Nickel posted:

Some people have stopped playing specifically during the event as part of a protest.
I'm not sure if it's going to do much, I imagine 99% of the people who actually bother not to play, were never planning on buying any Steel in the first place. So Ubisoft probably don't give a poo poo if their numbers drop for a day or two. Sure it sucks for their PR, but it'll soon get forgotten.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So I'm playing lawbringer, in large part because I saw a rep 7 lawbringer and fell in love with the black armor and he's actually a lot of fun!

Any real tips? I'm doing semi-decent with him, but haven't really learned the mix-up game yet.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

The Iron Rose posted:

So I'm playing lawbringer, in large part because I saw a rep 7 lawbringer and fell in love with the black armor and he's actually a lot of fun!

Any real tips? I'm doing semi-decent with him, but haven't really learned the mix-up game yet.

Like a teenager on the playground, you must learn to master the shove and always be shoving.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Fuzz posted:

Like a teenager on the playground, you must learn to master the shove and always be shoving.

This works the best for me. Got to rep1 shoving my way to the top. And flipping crabby patties.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Mambo No. 5 posted:

Add gamer tag Flexible Ethics if you ever want to partner up.

When I logged in yesterday it showed the event as successfully completed.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

The majority of Lawbringer mixup game:

Shove - GB - Side Heavy
Shove - Long Arm - Light Attack

First one is the best outcome because you can then chain the side heavy into another shove and repeat. That's kind of the LB bread and butter though so most people will know to tech the guard break and you won't actually get anything from it. Besides those two things, try to fish for parries a lot since you get a lot of attacks off it. Side light is free after parry, but go for the overhead heavy if your opponent has shown they're not good at parrying you. Most of his attacks are really slow on their own so it's hard to land anything but light attacks from either the Long Arm mixup or a parry, but hopefully that improves with the upcoming buff. Don't get discouraged if you're losing a lot, you're literally playing the worst character in the game.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

I've played lawbringer since release. There is only one type of player that you really can't beat; these are the guys who never parry, always block, and abuse certain moves to get guaranteed damage (Warden vortex, Warlord Headbutt).

Against defensive players who parry:

Out of neutral, your mixup is based on heavy feinting. You have to get a feel for when to feint and when to let it ride. Galahad94 uses Heavy feint > grab ALOT, even though it almost never hits. Also remember that many times you can't be GB'ed off of a parried heavy, and that many experienced players will forget this and whiff their GB. I personally use Heavy feint > light extensively.
Heavy feint > light
Heavy feint > grab
Heavy > light

You also have a decent mixup game based on your shove. This works especially well if you can deplete their stamina. Even if you get parried, they can't really punish it, and if you feint out their parry you can get an AD MORTEM INIMICUS.
Shove > Top light
Shove > Heavy feint > grab
Shove > Heavy feint > heavy
Shove > Heavy > heavy unblockable
Shove > Heavy > heavy unblockable feint

Against super aggressive players I abuse his light overhead. Against dodging players I will throw it out repeatedly, and when they start dodging, I'll throw out a feint and try to parry the dodge light for the AD MORTEM INIMICUS.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

It's fitting we're talking about LB, because with the patch buff nigh and Horizon and Nier 2 completed I'll be resuming to get back into shape. Any players on PC who feel like teaming up on things, let meet know on the Discord. I don't even have a swastika on my shield or anything.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

They just added High Fort back into the rotation.

I finally found a second character to level up after finishing my Warden. I'm now working on Nobushi. I think she's kinda underrated but it's a lot harder to learn than Warden was. Fun though. I like her feint game and her exhaustion punish for 60 damage.

Honestly once you get good at parrying the whole game opens up. I hope she gets a buff in the next patch but won't be too sad if she doesn't. Just a stamina cost reduction and an across the board feint stamina cost reduction (for all characters) would be nice.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

I maybe wrong and haven't played the game for a while but a real mixup is something that only defense against is to guess right? That's at least they way I understand them in fighting games. I don't think he has any of those. Fun character to play with though.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Lawbringer is a super bad class right now. After the patch he gets he'll be more formidable. Right now, if someone shoves me, I don't bother dodging out the way, cause most of the time I still get caught in it, and LB's always go for a guardbreak instantly after a shove. So I stay put so I can tech it. If they try and throw me behind them with that pole move, I dodge and punish. I feel bad for em cause they gotta wait and play defensively until I make a mistake myself or get parried.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Even when he get's buffed he's going to be bad against real competition in 1v1 as he is too slow and without real mixup. You can shove good players all day. They don't mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Even when he get's buffed he's going to be bad against real competition in 1v1 as he is too slow and without real mixup. You can shove good players all day. They don't mind.

His shove would be more dangerous if he had an unblockable to try and force a parry attempt out of you. As it is now, the second I get shove-spammed and lose all my exhaustion, I just play the blocking game til my stamina is back. It's pretty unfortunate for LB. He's very good in team situations though, as you can get blindsided by his choochoo train attack and throw off a ledge, or picked up and thrown back, whilst his teammates stomp your face into a pulp.