Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I CAST MOUTH :byodood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

ShaneB posted:

Anyone know the chillest shop in Austin, TX? A buddy is interested in getting into drafting.

Shops I played at when I was doing my undergrad:

Pat's: biggest store, cheapest events with the best prize support, most competitive people.
Dragon's Lair: terrible pricing, everyone there plays pretty much exclusively EDH.
Wonko's: we had decent conversations with the owner here way more than any of the other shops, extremely soft crowd but they're nice, prices and prize support got pretty lovely.
Mothership: no real opinion besides 2/3rds of the people there playing League of Legends since it's both a gaming shop and an internet cafe.

Also from the discussions I've had with people about the shops, especially the Wonko's owner, basically Pat's makes it really hard for other people to keep a shop open, because her husband is really rich and owning the game store is kind of just a hobby for her. This means she gets to undercut everyone else on events/product prices. She hangs out in the store a lot and just plays MODO.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

We really need a fist spell :negative:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I can't wait to play RB Trials in limited. It'll real hard to lose a game where you go turn 2 black Trial, turn 3 red Trial, turn 4 play a creature and a Cartouche getting back both Trials.

suicidesteve posted:

I see people talking about Street Wraith and Bauble and not like, the 1 mana 10/10 that they enable or the 1 mana mostly-Demonic Tutor. Or maybe just don't ban anything and give the format some to figure it out. This isn't exactly Eldrazi levels of dominance from what I've seen.

I don't see why Green Sun's Zenith is banned when Traverse the Ulvenwald requires only a slightly higher amount of deckbuilding cost for a much more powerful effect. Ban Dryad Arbor and unban the Zenith, WotC.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Literally everyone in this thread is stupider than mcmagic

Disagree. I didn't spend all morning arguing with goons.

I was stupid enough to play MTGO and got ProsBloom in the Standard Throwback league, faced off against Oath which appears to be a 100% chance to win for the ProsBloom deck. Kind of stupid. I just got to kill someone with Prosperity because they milled 26 cards with a Hermit Druid though

Magic was really fun.

Chill la Chill posted:

I'd play Fist//Face

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I know this breaks most rules but I really wish the other spell were also named Mouth

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

I know this breaks most rules but I really wish the other spell were also named Mouth
rear end//rear end

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Ein Sexmonster posted:

rear end//rear end

rear end//PUSSY

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

god i know its been done to death but would it have killed them to just reuse the old dual spell frame instead of that trash

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also I agree with Hellsau, GSZ would be fine for the format and it makes no sense to keep it out when Ulvenwald is allowed despite similar deck building restrictions

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

A//M :getin:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Not Hand to Mouth? Really?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

This is the greatest spell name ever :allears:

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

hippo token

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/849766602912432128

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
So is there a functional difference between paying 0 and not paying the mana cost, or is wotc dumb and/or changing the templating casting things for free?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

gwrtheyrn posted:

So is there a functional difference between paying 0 and not paying the mana cost, or is wotc dumb and/or changing the templating casting things for free?

A judge, from reddit:

quote:

tl;dr 99.9% sure we can actually cast Ancestral for free off this immediately.

Former judge experience would dictate that I'd wait for the FAQ before anything. The card says to pay 0 rather than it's mana cost. Depending on the rules, you're either replacing a mana cost of "no mana cost" with 0, or you can't replace that.

It's a weird corner case that needs a ruling. That said, rules citation: (emphasis mine)

601.2b If the spell is modal, the player announces the mode choice (see rule 700.2). If the player wishes to splice any cards onto the spell (see rule 702.46), he or she reveals those cards in his or her hand. If the spell has alternative or additional costs that will be paid as it’s being cast such as buyback or kicker costs (see rules 117.8 and 117.9), the player announces his or her intentions to pay any or all of those costs (see rule 601.2f). (irrelevant stuff afterwards)

117.6. Some mana costs contain no mana symbols. This represents an unpayable cost. An ability can also have an unpayable cost if its cost is based on the mana cost of an object with no mana cost. Attempting to cast a spell or activate an ability that has an unpayable cost is a legal action. However, attempting to pay an unpayable cost is an illegal action.

To get to the point: Attempting to cast Ancestral out of your hand without suspending it is legal. It only becomes illegal when you try to pay an unpayable cost (namely, the fact it has no mana cost). Given this is an alternate cost, we are paying that rather than this, so we are legally in the clear.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Right I get that you can do it because it's an alternate cost but....

In what way is
"You may pay 0 rather than paying its mana cost"
and
"Without paying its mana cost"

any different? It would seem like they're the same, but one is wordier but more consistent with non-free alternate costs. Is there any case where they are different?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Some A++ cates so far.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Oh ok so the card actually is pretty nuts then

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chill la Chill posted:

Fist to Face is my favorite aftermath spell.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

logis posted:

Wonkos (up north) is probably about the most new player friendly (as designed by the owner), so I'd start there. Owner has a story where some gut went to all the shops in austin, and only at wonkos did people explain things and be helpful (ended up being a comic on mtg page).

My favorite is card traders (north) tonight (I'll be there), which is chill but competitive. Everyone wins a prize, but first place is where you always hope to end up. Also, best prize support for prerelease.
control
Pats is good too, but I'd head to wonkos first.

I thought wonkos closed in january?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Well god drat. That's gotta be modern payable right

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
3 mana enchantment that does nothing to impact the board? I'm gonna go with a hard no on this card's playability.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Sampatrick posted:

3 mana enchantment that does nothing to impact the board? I'm gonna go with a hard no on this card's playability.

Excuse me I think you mean two card, three mana combo that IMMEDIATELY lets you draw three.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

If you have Recall in hand when you cast it you're drawing at least three that turn, and on your next turn you are holding up Path to Exile for the rest of the game even when tapped out.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sampatrick posted:

Unless it breaks up open some crazy combo, probably not. Turning all your ancestral visions into free recalls isn't a small thing though. Could show up as a 1 of or something in a value deck. Its not smart to throw out "hard no's" at this point.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Being able to tap out as a control deck and still cast cards seems super relevant.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

born on a buy you posted:

Being able to tap out as a control deck and still cast cards seems super relevant.

http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=15164&d=291933&f=MO

I think it would slot in pretty nicely into a deck like this, for instance

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
It's definitely theoretically possible that the card ends up being playable, I just don't see it happening. It's expensive and unimpactful except for very niche situations in a format where not being impactful will lose you games. Maybe I'm wrong, I just can't justify spending so much mana with the hope that I'll be able to assemble a not game winning combo.

To be fair, I'll definitely jam this plus Wheel of Fate into Storm because that interaction is sick as heck. I don't expect it to be good, but I'll try it anyway.

shades of blue fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 6, 2017

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

T3 (you): As Foretold, Restore Balance to wipe the board.
T3/T4 (them): Ancestral to reload

Seems ok I guess.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Just did a bit of playtesting the new Gideon in RW Prison.

It's about as good as I expected.
Small sample size, but the matchup against Death's Shadow felt better than 50/50.

More testing to be done; and that was not a tuned list.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Since a lot of people seem to be showing up, I think I'm going to run a "live" Magic thing on Saturday. At Noon Central Saturday 4/8 we can show up and play. We'll run Swiss rounds on XMage until everyone gets bored of it or whatever. Right now I'm thinking Modern but could be convinced differently as required.

Let's use Discord, the goon discord is here: https://discord.gg/59dNDvR You do have to "register" or whatever, but it's quick, and there's a magic-the-gathering channel we'll use to organize matches and stuff (Also Challonge http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/Z8E427AGuY)

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 6, 2017

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

born on a buy you posted:

if not tapping out is so important, why are you casting this on turn 3?

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
So... buy Ancestral Visions sooner rather than later if I'm interested in making some really dumb As Foretold modern deck right? I was thinking about getting some anyway.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I would not be surprised if they spiked now because of crazy speculators and then dropped later because it's not actually that good of a combo. AV is definitely playable though so feel free to pick em up.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Ancestral Visions is $50

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

muon posted:

So... buy Ancestral Visions sooner rather than later if I'm interested in making some really dumb As Foretold modern deck right? I was thinking about getting some anyway.

It's not like it's going to get any cheaper.

Is being able to cast Balance later in the game for free in Modern still powerful, if you have to cast a 3-mana do-nothing enchantment first? If you're playing control you'll be able to wrath the board, but will likely be the one saccing lands and discarding cards, and at that point why not just play a normal wrath effect.

It's certainly abusable but I'm not sure it's worth giving up slots just for that.

Edit: In the time it took me to write this post, all NM non-foil Restore Balances disappeared from TCGPlayer. So there's that.

PhyrexianLibrarian fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 6, 2017

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
It's not really different than normal Cascade decks except you have to draw the card you're cascading into instead of playing it from your library.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

When I thought this worked like Rishkar's Expertise I was excited and then I realized its just a wack combo of of Call of the Herd and Shamanic Revelation.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

TheDemon posted:

It's not really different than normal Cascade decks except you have to draw the card you're cascading into instead of playing it from your library.

Being able to play 1 and 2 CMC cards is a big upgrade.

• Locked thread