Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

KillaZilla posted:

I am still tempted to get the 2017 SDR or Tuono Factory as well but knowing what I know from friends it's all orgasmic until you get the bill for a service or the part wait time for a warranty item.

You're basically naming every bike I'm wanting. Had a couple hours on a mate's Tuono a while ago and it's a magnificent machine, the 17 model looks even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillaZilla
Jan 30, 2003

Fanelien posted:

You're basically naming every bike I'm wanting. Had a couple hours on a mate's Tuono a while ago and it's a magnificent machine, the 17 model looks even better.

I love the Tuono but needing to fill up every 100-150km is just a joke and they have had some serious reliability issues. The importer here recently changed because the old one was tired of being out of pocket due to the volume of warranty work. If you have a good local dealer network and it's just a weekender this might be less of an issue but I was looking for a new commute bike.

I think this is in part why I keep my Honda, it just works all the drat time no matter how much I punish it.

I spent the last 6 months researching and test riding all the big super nakeds at length before opting for the BMW and while none of them are bad bikes some of them do have some pretty big cons that dealers and reviewers all over look. $2000 major services and tiny fuel tanks really isn't acceptable when bikes like the S1KR and MT-10 can compete in the same category without sucking your wallet dry.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

KillaZilla posted:

I love the Tuono but needing to fill up every 100-150km is just a joke and they have had some serious reliability issues. The importer here recently changed because the old one was tired of being out of pocket due to the volume of warranty work. If you have a good local dealer network and it's just a weekender this might be less of an issue but I was looking for a new commute bike.

I think this is in part why I keep my Honda, it just works all the drat time no matter how much I punish it.

I spent the last 6 months researching and test riding all the big super nakeds at length before opting for the BMW and while none of them are bad bikes some of them do have some pretty big cons that dealers and reviewers all over look. $2000 major services and tiny fuel tanks really isn't acceptable when bikes like the S1KR and MT-10 can compete in the same category without sucking your wallet dry.

See, my shortlist is the S1000R, MT-10SP, SDR and Tuono. I mainly only ride weekends, but long distances(600+km days). I've sat on them all and had a ride of the Tuono and the SDR feels best from an ergonomics point of view because it has a physically larger frame compared to the others. The BMW and Yamaha feel quite small and cramped, and the high rearsets of the Tuono are ok for an hour or two but spending 8 hours folded up like that in a day would hurt. I'm thinking about keeping my 500 now as well and kitting it out for a bit more adventure style riding as a complement to the balls to the wall supernaked.

KillaZilla
Jan 30, 2003
I do a lot of riding and the fuel range on the Tuono would drive me nuts. My friends and I went out for some spirited riding today and we had to stop twice for the RS4V owner to get fuel compared to once for everyone else, on a really long day we can easily stop an extra 2-3 times just for the Aprilia owners. Another Tuono person in our group now rides with a small fuel bladder because he kept getting caught out in the hills, wicked bike though. The MT-10SP is an interesting bike and if you don't mind the look it's a lot of bike for the money, I'm yet to ride the SP model but last years base version was pretty fun and reminded me of the SDR at times.

For me I had a really hard time picking between the SDR and the S1000R, both bikes are just so good. What pushed the BMW over the line was a combination of the better dealer network, being better around town at low speeds and coming in several thousand cheaper with more gear on it, personally I think the SDR needs a sprocket change if you are going to commute on it at all. Blasting through the hills though both bikes are great, I find both comfy for long trips and the cruise control on the BMW is neat if you are doing a long highway run to get to the twisties. I still think I will get the SDR for a weekend hooligan bike but after the new model has been put through it's paces and proven to be reliable. I know more than one person who had major issues with the 1st year SDR.

KillaZilla fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 1, 2017

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Picked this 06 fireblade up a couple weeks ago to replace my old ride:

First ride was short but fun, looking forward to getting on the county roads and biting into the turns while enjoying the scenery. Replaced the battery and oil/filter. Runs like a dream, no regrets moving up to it.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Those grips are on the maintenance list, right?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That paint job is dope as gently caress.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Yerok posted:

Those grips are on the maintenance list, right?

Not yet, you have any you recommend though?

Z3n posted:

That paint job is dope as gently caress.

I love the poo poo out of the color, need to touch upa few spots but otherwise I'm not touching it.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

PathAsc posted:

Not yet, you have any you recommend though?

OURY

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Renthal full diamond grip. Never need anything else

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Sagebrush prob right about this one. I just put pillow tops on everything regardless of street/dirt cause they play nice with my carpal tunnel.

edit: too bad you can't get the Oury moto grips in matching purple

Yerok fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 1, 2017

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Oh my god that color is amazing.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Karakal super PU sport handle wrap over stock grips, it's good poo poo.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
pillow tops are good but have poo poo durability because they're so soft. mine are basically worn down to the bars after only 4k miles of use and my grip is looser than slavvy's mom

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
My KTM waffle grips are starting to wear down so I'm on the lookout for good replacements. I do really love the KTM waffle grips, for comfort.

Sagebrush posted:

Renthal full diamond grip. Never need anything else

I found these to be painfully hard when I rode my buddy's fz09 yesterday. They look awesome, though.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Karakal super PU sport handle wrap over stock grips, it's good poo poo.

Post a picture of this on your bike. I'm interested, especially for the comfort and ability to match my harlequin colors, but it seems like it would look janky.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

It's okay.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Gripchat: Progrip 714s are tits.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

this. Maybe get 2 pairs in case you tear the first ones to poo poo. I managed to wear mine out pretty quick, but they were gummy soft and I wasn't used to my new gloves yet so I was gripping them pretty hard without knowing it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Sagebrush posted:

Keeps the brake fluid warm on cold nights. And it's a clean sock, thank you very much.

Do you have a special heat generating sock?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Coydog posted:

Post a picture of this on your bike. I'm interested, especially for the comfort and ability to match my harlequin colors, but it seems like it would look janky.

And a stock pic for comparison:

Personally I think the wraps look way better than stock. The extra width is very comfortable and means I'm no longer holding the bars as tightly; the grippiness also helps a ton with this, especially in winter gloves, but after 9 months of summer and winter riding that's mostly gone thanks to oil and dirt from my gloves. I could feasibly refresh the grips for a few quid though, so it's fine imo.

They come in a bunch of colours too, including black, so I doubt there'd ever be a problem finding one to go with your paint scheme.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I'll throw my two cents in for Renthal. The single compound grips are nice, cheap, and will last a decent while if you get the harder compound. They are really slim though, so if you don't like the feeling of holding on to the actual bar/throttle tube itself, they might not be for you. On the plus side they will break you from over gripping the bars as they won't be comfortable if you ride with a death grip.

Here is a lovely picture.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

tjones posted:

I'll throw my two cents in for Renthal. The single compound grips are nice, cheap, and will last a decent while if you get the harder compound. They are really slim though, so if you don't like the feeling of holding on to the actual bar/throttle tube itself, they might not be for you. On the plus side they will break you from over gripping the bars as they won't be comfortable if you ride with a death grip.

Here is a lovely picture.

Comfort in the same post as an R6 :lol:

tjones
May 13, 2005
Touche, haha. I'll do six to eight hours on it days at a time and feel fine after.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Enjoyed the awesome Atlanta weather riding all day yesterday. My second time riding with a pillion so it's still an interesting learning experience.

"Life.. Finds; a way"

After sunset, she suggested we go to this spooky abandoned prison since "It would be perfect for your bike!". Turns out it's a spot I've been trying to find for months, and I'm so glad we went.

The lights are straight up epic for a situation like that. Took total control of a spooky spot.

Here I am ascending into KTM's infinite light.

Bonus shot from when we went inside to look around. Just as we started to walk down this hallway, we heard a definite shuffling at the end. Probably just a mouse, but likely a junkie, so we GTFO.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Coydog posted:

Enjoyed the awesome Atlanta weather riding all day yesterday. My second time riding with a pillion so it's still an interesting learning experience.

"Life.. Finds; a way"

After sunset, she suggested we go to this spooky abandoned prison since "It would be perfect for your bike!". Turns out it's a spot I've been trying to find for months, and I'm so glad we went.

The lights are straight up epic for a situation like that. Took total control of a spooky spot.

Here I am ascending into KTM's infinite light.

Bonus shot from when we went inside to look around. Just as we started to walk down this hallway, we heard a definite shuffling at the end. Probably just a mouse, but likely a junkie, so we GTFO.

Where is this? I'm not insanely far from ATL and would consider doing some urban exploration.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Coydog posted:

Just as we started to walk down this hallway, we heard a definite shuffling at the end. Probably just a mouse, but likely a junkie, so we GTFO.

Probably a ghost, dude. Abandoned prisons, hospitals, and asylums are rife with them.

Also old-timey boarding schools where nuns beat the kids and there was a hazing gone wrong where the poor kid with no friends got killed and the clergy covered it up. Those places.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What lights are those?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Zipperelli. posted:

Where is this? I'm not insanely far from ATL and would consider doing some urban exploration.

It's the old atlanta prison farm. I'd recommend you only visit on sunday during the day, though. It's downrange of the police firing range next door (since it's a lost property and can never be built on), and at night you have a good chance of running into someone you don't want to.

If you decide to go, let me know and we can ride out together.

captainOrbital posted:

Probably a ghost, dude. Abandoned prisons, hospitals, and asylums are rife with them.

Also old-timey boarding schools where nuns beat the kids and there was a hazing gone wrong where the poor kid with no friends got killed and the clergy covered it up. Those places.

It was a prison farm, though, so I'd likely only run into the ghost of cool hand luke. Since I'm not a parking meter, I have nothing to fear.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What lights are those?

https://www.amazon.com/RUN-D-Cube-D...CA0TG1ZJV12ZK44

I'm crazy for them. The pictures don't lie, the output is absurd, and the beam excellent. I have a set of 45 degree, too.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Found a cheap front wheel for a drz ownin goon... also scored half an engine that isnt pictured.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I know someone who's been trying to piece together a dirt wheel set for a long loving time back in WI.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Before and After - Low mount exhaust + fender delete looks really good.

Now to tackle those mirrors :rolldice:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

robotsinmyhead posted:

Before and After - Low mount exhaust + fender delete looks really good.

Now to tackle those mirrors :rolldice:

That looks sleek, nice.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

My cheap heated grips are hella hard. Did a 300 mile ride today and my hands were DONE. The warmth for the first hour in the morning was real nice though.

I need to take some better photos of my buddies 1199 Panigale S. Thing is ridiculous.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Never understood all this talk of grip comfort et al. How hard are you dudes gripping that poo poo? The only criteria for me w.r.t. grips is whether they're too slippery to work in the rain or not.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Never understood all this talk of grip comfort et al. How hard are you dudes gripping that poo poo? The only criteria for me w.r.t. grips is whether they're too slippery to work in the rain or not.

I grip the handlebars like I grip my dick. Dat death grip, yo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The only criteria for me w.r.t. dicks is whether they're too slippery to work in the rain or not.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I grip the handlebars like I grip my dick. A gentle push if I want to swing one way, a gentle tug if I want to swing the other.

tjones
May 13, 2005
People gripping their dicks hard is why they invented pillow tops.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I don't see why my mattress has anything to do with my dick grip preference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tjones
May 13, 2005
Soft mattresses wear out quicker.