Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

precision posted:

Why is everyone mad about the trans character in Andromeda but not the one in Zelda? Is this accurate?

Because that sounds a lot worse than what Bioware did :psyduck:

How is that worse? Its a trans woman, not a trans man. You have to use the appropriate gender to progress, not the wrong one. Using the wrong one shuts you down. I think you have this backwards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQuIvDphAAc

hi everyone

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zaphod42 posted:

How is that worse? Its a trans woman, not a trans man. You have to use the appropriate gender to progress, not the wrong one. Using the wrong one shuts you down. I think you have this backwards?

The part that sounds bad is that you "have to" compliment her.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

precision posted:

... you're weird.

I mean Zelda's hardly the most progressive and there are issues with it, but its definitely less "wrong" than Andromeda.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

precision posted:

The reason you "have to" compliment her is because she's secretly selling clothes that'll let you dress up as a woman to get into Gerudo City. That said, if you have a problem with the game despite having not played it or seen the context then

Zaphod42 posted:

... you're weird.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zaphod42 posted:

... you're weird.

I mean Zelda's hardly the most progressive and there are issues with it, but its definitely less "wrong" than Andromeda.

That's at best clumsy, at worst cringeworthy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If you really care, here's an analysis by a trans woman.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/21/15004956/zelda-mass-effect-horizon-zero-dawn-trans-characters

precision posted:

That's at best clumsy, at worst cringeworthy.

Its basic dumb RPG conversation man, what the gently caress do you want? Its a binary choice, you're just affirming your past entry once again, because that's how Zelda goes sometimes, and because she's playing coy. Your other option is "you're a man!" so its just once again continuing to use the right response.

Your overreaction to this is way more cringeworthy than the game is.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Zaphod42 posted:

... you're weird.

It's a different kind of wrong.They're both wrong. In Andromeda, it just dumps the dialog on you in an unnatural way and is like the character wearing a trans nametag, which is dumb. In Zelda, it's playing up appearance and beauty for passing and furthering the plot in a very anachronistic way. I'm not sure what precision's take on it was but that's my take.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

an actual dog posted:

Plague Knight is one of my favorite platformers ever.

I can understand not liking it but I feel I should mention that I love it to pieces.

Same here

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bloodychill posted:

It's a different kind of wrong.They're both wrong. In Andromeda, it just dumps the dialog on you in an unnatural way and is like the character wearing a trans nametag, which is dumb. In Zelda, it's playing up appearance and beauty for passing and furthering the plot in a very anachronistic way. I'm not sure what precision's take on it was but that's my take.

No, that's what I meant, thank you.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ciaphas posted:

Specter Knight has more than made up for how meh Plague Knight felt

this is a good platformer

You're wrong to think Plague Knight was meh, his control scheme remains my favorite of the three.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ciaphas posted:

Are YCG still doing that thing in the Shovel Knight expansions where the game could conceivably run on an NES (except for like one color added to the palette or something), or did they bail on that conceit

I swear this music seems like more than I remember the NES ever being able to do, for a start

The NES thing was a design philosophy more than a true limitation they imposed on themselves and yes, the audio was one area where they made it richer. One thing I remember from the article was that the NES would drop channels or tracks when it needed to maintain overall performance but they decided they didn't want to compromise on the music in that way.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

bloodychill posted:

It goes both ways. Like I linked, the polygon article actually breaks it down pretty well:

quote:

Let’s get a few things out the way. Yes, this woman has a beard under her veil. Link finding this out when a stray gust of wind reveals is played as a punchline. Link reacts in shock. It reeks of ‘90s trans-reveal comedy punchlines.

Still, let’s talk about some positives. The fact she has a beard hasn’t been a barrier to her comfortably existing within the walls of the all-female city. The Gerudo in the store below don’t tell you where to find “the man who snuck into Gerudo Town” but instead point you towards the “Hylian Vai (woman)” who may fit the description. This shows a level of acknowledgement, but respect, for her female identity regardless of the character having a beard.

Also of note, numerous people within the city walls acknowledge that Link is designated male at birth, but none of them report Link or get them kicked out for this discovery.

The spa in town recognizes your body as traditionally masculine, or non-typically feminine. Their responses to this information are to compliment your muscular frame as advantageous and rare within your race, or to assume it’s a product of battle-worn circumstance. They comment on your battle scars, confirmed elsewhere in the game to only be visible when Link is undressed, but not on your lack of breasts. They do not use this information to invalidate your presented gender.

So its so-so. I guess arguing about whether its "better" or "worse" than another awkward mistake is just down to personal opinion, but I think Andromeda is more directly cringey by far.

Saying she's beautiful doesn't have to mean that you're conflating passing with being attractive. It can also be the direct opposite, affirming that beauty is inward and not based on outward appearance, since the character isn't actually passing and you have to say she's beautiful anyways. Its not exactly black and white, but it is clumsy I agree.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Alright see y'all in May

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Are YCG still doing that thing in the Shovel Knight expansions where the game could conceivably run on an NES (except for like one color added to the palette or something), or did they bail on that conceit

They dropped that really early in development. In addition to really obvious things like being widescreen, it has way too many colors on screen at once, has too many colors to work with in the first place, bypasses the limitations of the sound chip completely, etc. They realized very early on that they needed to compromise to make the game as good as it deserved to be.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Zaphod42 posted:

So its so-so. I guess arguing about whether its "better" or "worse" than another awkward mistake is just down to personal opinion, but I think Andromeda is more directly cringey by far.

Saying she's beautiful doesn't have to mean that you're conflating passing with being attractive. It can also be the direct opposite, affirming that beauty is inward and not based on outward appearance, since the character isn't actually passing and you have to say she's beautiful anyways. Its not exactly black and white, but it is clumsy I agree.

Fair enough. The writer makes a great case for why each had problems and how they could have improved, like actually talking to trans people in constructing the character like one of the writers for DA:I did.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it is frustrating to not have great trans representation in video games but even the decent examples like in technobabylon still have this awkward infodump aspect to it. but that game doesn't have the problem that most attempts have, which is, the characters' personality is always "they're trans" and that's it

one way of that not being a problem is if they're not simply relegated to an NPC and as a result have to be actually carefully crafted as a character. i mean that still takes effort and consultancy and learning of course, but no matter what the context, NPC #425 is not going to get the attention or love that Main Character #2 gets

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 6, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I liked that character in Horizon because his bigger personality thing was that he didn't believe in second chances so the emperor sent them to run a prison with the express directive that reform was the objective. There was still some info dump though.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Maybe a bunch of NPCs in games are transgender or transsexual, they just don't mention it because it doesn't matter, right now they just manage the item shop

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I somehow went from having really dumb :biotruths: opinions about the transgendered as a teen to being pretty informed on the subject through the sheer happenstance of a bunch of my friends and acquaintances coming out as trans. I feel like any of their stories would make for a pretty compelling minor character in a video game, and I don't see why it seems so difficult for AAA studios to get it right.

Not that other mediums have the best track record either....

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jay Rust posted:

Maybe a bunch of NPCs in games are transgender or transsexual, they just don't mention it because it doesn't matter, right now they just manage the item shop

birdo

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The Sims 4 figured at least some of this stuff out.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qnRv-fuxQ&t=18s

:newlol:

Learning that you can accuse people of lying at every opportunity with zero actual penalty so long as you back down without presenting evidence has doubled my enjoyment of L.A. Noire.

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 6, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

there has to be a middle ground somewhere between "shots of putting on lipstick as I'm Every Woman plays" and "you decide for yourself if they are"

everyone has gone through a life of experiences that shapes who they are, saying someone is gay or trans after the fact is almost like a cop out to not have to do that. but when a character in a game is NPC #593, the writers don't even get into that aspect of character building because they're just an NPC who doesn't matter in the big picture of the game world

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qnRv-fuxQ&t=18s

:newlol:

Learning that you can accuse people of lying at every opportunity with zero actual penalty so long as you back down without presenting evidence has doubled my enjoyment of L.A. Noire.

I still can't believe the decision to change "go easy" and "press them" or whatever into "truth" and "doubt" at the last minute. That made the game so loving confusing.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

there has to be a middle ground somewhere between "shots of putting on lipstick as I'm Every Woman plays" and "you decide for yourself if they are"

everyone has gone through a life of experiences that shapes who they are, saying someone is gay or trans after the fact is almost like a cop out to not have to do that. but when a character in a game is NPC #593, the writers don't even get into that aspect of character building because they're just an NPC who doesn't matter in the big picture of the game world

Yeah you're right.

But I also think it'd be weird if the next Bioware game had one and exactly one trans companion, not a fan of tokenism

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

it is frustrating to not have great trans representation in video games but even the decent examples like in technobabylon still have this awkward infodump aspect to it. but that game doesn't have the problem that most attempts have, which is, the characters' personality is always "they're trans" and that's it

one way of that not being a problem is if they're not simply relegated to an NPC and as a result have to be actually carefully crafted as a character. i mean that still takes effort and consultancy and learning of course, but no matter what the context, NPC #425 is not going to get the attention or love that Main Character #2 gets

Yeah, but the problem is lots of people are still really uncomfortable or straight up antagonistic towards transpeople, so they'll be relegated to NPCs for awhile :(

But there's a strong argument that having lots of gay characters on TV helped get the states to come around overall to gay rights, it lets people become more comfortable with things they're uncomfortable with from the safety of their own couch. And if you include it in some media (show, film, game) that the person likes, it can help influence their perspective of those minorities.

Jay Rust posted:

The Dumbledore approach?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, and gay characters on TV in a good light and not just complete stereotypes feels like something that happened entirely in the last decade. I guess almost 2 decades. It feels like we've come such a long way though. Like 2 shows I'm watching now both had characters (not major ones) who just happened to be gay and it wasn't some kind of plot point and was treated as entirely normal by every other character.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

:golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Snak posted:

Yeah, and gay characters on TV in a good light and not just complete stereotypes feels like something that happened entirely in the last decade. I guess almost 2 decades. It feels like we've come such a long way though. Like 2 shows I'm watching now both had characters (not major ones) who just happened to be gay and it wasn't some kind of plot point and was treated as entirely normal by every other character.

Does Will and Grace count as a step forward or a step back?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

when Link is speaking with the person to get the vai clothes, I took the "You're beautiful!" option to not just be a compliment for the sake of progress, but that he meant it!! because he's a nice boy!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

He's never called Zelda beautiful and she's his wife!!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I never watched Will and Grace, or a whole lot of 90s TV, but I was counting it in the "stereotype" column by reputation. Dawson and Buffy both did gay and lesbian (respectively) primary cast characters around the same time in the late 90s/early 00s. I'm sure they weren't the only ones to do it in that time period. There are much earlier outliers too: I know that Golden Girls did at least one episode about lesbian acceptance in season 2 (1986). I think they did more later, but I'm only halfway through season 3 right now, so I haven't gotten to them yet. It's still different from having a primary cast member though.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Jay Rust posted:

He's never called Zelda beautiful and she's his wife!!

Link's wife is clearly Mipha please do not sully this thread with your untruths

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
please don't sexualize Link :(

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lurdiak posted:

It's been a long learning process. I remember the chatter during that show's run about Jack being a total stereotype, but still valuable because there were so few examples of representation that were on network TV every week.

It's like how Queer Eye for the Straight Guy was such a big thing but now that Netflix wants to remake it everyone is rolling their eyes

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

precision posted:

please don't sexualize Link :(

i'd let him hookshot my anchor point any time

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Goddammit, next Persona game I'm naming my character Frank or something instead of a japanese name. First game I named him Ryuji, then restarted when I found out that's the name of this game's first party member so I restarted and named him Makoto. I'm way to far in to restart now that Makoto's been introduced as an NPC, guess I'm just going to be confused from now on.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Do not gently caress with Big Tetris:

quote:

1) Videos of any gameplay can't be posted for profit unless the website you upload it to already has a mechanism for copyright takedowns
2) Nothing from Adventure mode, or replays from Adventure mode can be uploaded (there's a lot of cutscene dialog, like more than you'd expect from a puzzle game)
3) Pretty much every other mode, like classic Tetris endurance, netplay, and local VS, are fine as long as it conforms to 1)
4) You cannot modify the watermark that gets slapped on videos recorded using the XB1/PS4 share feature, and you need to accompany every video you post with a TTC copyright notice

From NeoGaf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's been a long learning process. I remember the chatter during that show's run about Jack being a total stereotype, but still valuable because there were so few examples of representation that were on network TV every week.

It's like how Queer Eye for the Straight Guy was such a big thing but now that Netflix wants to remake it everyone is rolling their eyes

I mean, as much as stereotypical portrayals can be bad and can set things back, I feel like portrayal of stereotypes as acceptable, good people in society is still a stepping stone.

"Blaxsploitation" as an umbrella genre, contained plenty of films that reinforced stereotypes in a negative way. The term "Blaxsploitation" was coined by Junius Griffin, who was executive director of the Hollywood branch of the NAACP in 1972. He argued that these films exploited black culture and warped children's minds with violence and cultural lies. But at the same time, the existence of the economic powerhouse of the blaxsploitation genre paved the way for black film makers and created opportunities for black actors and actresses that would not have existed without that stepping stone. The Black Panthers embraced blaxsploitation films that showed strong willed black characters. James Earl Jones said "even the black exploitation movie has a role to play. The groups trying to cancel these movies are fighting a losing battle. I think there is a call for such movies. The black image is in a state of creation."

That's paraphrased from Allyson Field's L.A. Rebellion: Creating a New Black Cinema

But I feel like the portrayal of gay and lesbian characters in television has been following a similar trajectory from exoticism, to exploitation, to real acceptance. Trans acceptance is lagging behind, but I hope that it catches up quickly.

• Locked thread