Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
As I hilariously predicted from the rushed 2.6.2 patch, they've now pushed an "out of band" 2.6.3 patch to Evocati.

It's as if they rushed 2.6.2 out in time for the latest (failing) Drake ship sale. No, that couldn't possibly be it.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

D_Smart posted:

As I hilariously predicted from the rushed 2.6.2 patch, they've now pushed an "out of band" 2.6.3 patch to Evocati.

Just curious. Do you type up these announcements, then have a script that uploads it to all the relevant discussion forums you frequent?

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 6, 2017

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Only another 37 patches till 3.0

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Looking forward to Disturbed Jim's slashfic including him, Derek Smart, and that's it because he can't stop talking about Derek Smart.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009

Is that video serious? I got to the "the lag is most likely the player's fault" section.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
"And as I sat there, waiting for patch 23.71.899C, I heard the faint sound of Derek Smart unlocking the front door"

"Good, I thought to myself. He's finally home after a long day's work Warlording in the county."

*Derek enters the musky computer room*

"Let's gently caress, Flyboi"

And then they feast on whalefin soup or something I dont loving know

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

"Shohashi"? Is this a reference I'm not getting?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Kellanved posted:

Is that video serious? I got to the "the lag is most likely the player's fault" section.

Look if you don't use a high end gaming router, I don't know what to tell you. That's just basics.
http://www.pcgamer.com/best-gaming-router/

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sarsapariller posted:

Look if you don't use a high end gaming router, I don't know what to tell you. That's just basics.
http://www.pcgamer.com/best-gaming-router/

LOL if you aren't cleaning your case with gaming compressed air and you're expecting frame rates north of 20fps just LOL
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/falcon-gaming-gear-dust-off-compressed-air-duster-300ml

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Wow, things must be hosed. Why didn't they just go with pre-alpha-2.6.2g or something for everyone instead of going with pre-alpha-2.6.3-evocati. I'm fearing there might be issues with this game development but I know nothing about it.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sunswipe posted:

"Shohashi"? Is this a reference I'm not getting?

He's one of my long time game testers. We go back to the first Battlecruiser game.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Patch notes. With all the problems in 2.6.2, no way they don't release another patch ahead of 3.0. Bring on 2.7!!

quote:

Star Citizen Patch 2.6.3
Welcome to Alpha PTU 2.6.3! This patch is primarily dedicated to bug fixes, with continued focus on stability and game performance!
During this initial testing phase, PTU access will be restricted to a small group of players that we will expand on over time as required. Your launcher should show “2.6.3-523117” as the client version. It is strongly recommended that players delete their USER folder for the Test client after patching, particularly if you start encountering any odd character graphical issues or crash on loading. The USER folder can be found (in default installations) at C:\Program Files\Cloud Imperium Games\StarCitizen\Test.
Please review our current list of Patch 2.6.3 Known Issues, and take full advantage of our Issue Council area of the Community site to report any bugs you encounter, as well as contribute to other players submissions.

Important Issues:
No issues to report!

Updates and Fixes

Star Systems:
Crusader
Fixed another issue causing the ASOP terminals to state “All pads are full” in error.

Game Systems:
Star Marine
Fixed an issue where players who stayed in their spawn rooms at the end of round 2 should no longer see themselves die at the beginning of round 3. Fixed several collision and environmental issues found within Echo Eleven.

Technical:
Fixed a number of client crashes. Made a number of performance tweaks to Echo Eleven and OP Station Demien.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Drunk Theory posted:

Just curious. Do you type up these announcements, then have a script that uploads it to all the relevant discussion forums you frequent?

It turns out Derek is just a semi-self-aware chatbot with a hatred of autistic space games.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I'm the game development company asking their customers to delete the 'user folder' in 2017

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
lol 2.6.3

just lol

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm frankly amazed Star Citizen is still a basket of flaming poo poo.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Star Citizen streamer, BadNewsBaron on Star Citizen being his career.

Gee, it's almost as if...

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/849624963300696064

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TheAgent posted:

lol 2.6.3

just lol

Early days, wait for 2.6.9.2.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MeLKoR posted:

Early days, wait for 2.6.9.2.

04/05:

http://www.dereksmart.com/forum/index.php?topic=29.msg1341#msg1341

quote:

It's as if they rushed 2.6.2 out in time for the latest (failing) Drake ship sale. No, that couldn't possibly be it.

04/02:

http://www.dereksmart.com/forum/index.php?topic=29.msg1325#msg1325

quote:

So they rushed 2.6.2 out just so they could say they met the Mar deadline. It's broke AF. Over 150+ bugs logged so far.

Hilariously, they pushed it live 3hrs after it went to the PTU.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm a Derek Smartie till I die

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat
from the reddit thread about tomorrow's ATV:

quote:

I get the initial excitement for artwork, but after countless reworks after years? Hasn't the novelty for the 999th ship art rework worn off?
Like, oh yay, the Cutlass' silhouette and panels A-1 and C-6 have changed! So what...?

quote:

Those panels that you just talked about, those are more important than you realize.
They could be access panels to work on your engines or shield generators other components. Or it could be a secret hold where you can hide any questionable items from law enforcement. Everything you see on your ship is supposed to serve a functional purpose. The main purpose of these ship reworks is to make all the older ships from 2013-2014 Item Port 2.0 capable so that they could properly implement components into these ships and increase functionality.
Then of course, visually update with the new modeling and texturing techniques they learned over the years and apply the new damage shader

you have tot hink about what's BEHIND the jpegs, guys. Geez!

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Patch notes. With all the problems in 2.6.2, no way they don't release another patch ahead of 3.0. Bring on 2.7!!

Important Issues:
No issues to report!

All green. 2.6.3 is the MVP confirmed.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

D_Smart posted:

Patch notes.

I wonder how CIG is doing these patches. Because this has even less content than 2.6.2b, but is deserving of another number increase apparently. How do you all think they decide? Dice? A dart board? Maybe flipping a coin.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Thoatse posted:

This Is A Stage 1 Blog Alert

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Drunk Theory posted:

I wonder how CIG is doing these patches. Because this has even less content than 2.6.2b, but is deserving of another number increase apparently. How do you all think they decide? Dice? A dart board? Maybe flipping a coin.

They don't have a loving clue. Yes, this should've been 2.6.2<insert_letter_here>

I actually had a discussion about this over on FDev just days ago.

quote:

quote:

D.S It's nonsense.

Standard nomenclature is x.x.x.x e.g. 2.6.0, 2.6.1, 2.6.2.1, 2.6.2.2 etc.

Not only are they - in standard fashion - doing it backwards, but they're also setting themselves up for even more drama if they end up releasing 2.6.3 at some point. Or even do a major leap to 2.6.7 ahead of 3.0.

Note that there are new items 2.6.2c which one would argue don't qualify as being a part of the initial 2.6.2 release since it wasn't included. So 2.6.2 would be initials, 2.6.2.x would be derivatives (fixes based on what was released in 2.6.2), not new items (which should go into 2.6.3 etc). For example.

Aside from the fact that going with a, b, c, if this keeps up, they will run out of letters at some point

quote:

That's standard nomenclature for a release product, which SC definitely is not.

For pre-alpha / alpha, software is typically numbered with a leading zero like 0.2.6 or 0.3.0, etc., occasionally with an α symbol as well. The only time a 2.x.x version would be appropriate is if it is for an already released product. Example Elite: Dangerous 2.2.03 being replaced by 2.3.00, or just 2.3.
D.S That's hilariously wrong. How many software projects have you worked on exactly, that led you to believe that this is actually correct?

SC isn't using "standard nomenclature" at all; or it won't have 2.x version numbers for a pre-alpha product. You just said so yourself.

And the fact that it's using an unconventional numbering scheme - even for a pre-Alpha - makes it even more ludicrous that they're using alphabets in the numbering as well.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Drunk Theory posted:

2.6.3 is a better marketing lure than 2.6.2b and they wanted to make a ship sale...

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

D_Smart posted:

They don't have a loving clue. Yes, this should've been 2.6.2<insert_letter_here>

I actually had a discussion about this over on FDev just days ago.

If you both linking and quoting a post on another forum that is also yourself is your response to that scripted posting jab....well done.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

:sweatdrop:

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/Pmyf38c.gifv

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
whoa!!

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/gently caress-you-and-die-an-oral-history-of-something-awful

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Im just looking forward to the CIG kickstarter for bail money... get us out or SC will never be finished!!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Don't see why they'd use Reddit when they put everybody on the spectrum.

Oh that's right, the Spectrum is their official forums they recognize as being so poo poo they had to hide it from the real internet, and also don't even use it themselves for their own game.

Landing sccfl

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Raskolnikov posted:

The fourth threadpire...

All I got was this terrible deskeletonization and the worst kind of electricity that triples with every new post.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hav posted:

Dunno, you have to compare it with modern trash like this console poo poo;

I mean, loving look at the uncanny valley right there.

Or this trash from last year;

We've suffered far too long (on the PS4).

What is this filth? Is that some kind of mesh problem on their heads? What the gently caress is that thing that isn't a man in each of those pictures?

*lovingly strokes Mark Hamills jpeg and copy pastes him into a concept ship jpeg*

It's ok Mark, climb into your Bandu turtle merchant ship I bought for you. I know you love me. I know you love me.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Colostomy Bag posted:

Does this help commando? Chrome...Firefox was slightly different

Thanks man. That green was making this place un readable.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
The reddit threads about Erin and other CIG people appearing on that stream and full of some grade A sperg dreams.

That's right citizens, planets will revolve on their axis and rotate around stars.

You know, when they can work out how to put planets into the PU.

And after then figure out how to make the rings rotate around Olisar without loving up in a dozen different ways lol.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I very strongly approve of the new style sheet for this forum.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Exinos posted:

The reddit threads about Erin and other CIG people appearing on that stream and full of some grade A sperg dreams.

That's right citizens, planets will revolve on their axis and rotate around stars.

You know, when they can work out how to put planets into the PU.

And after then figure out how to make the rings rotate around Olisar without loving up in a dozen different ways lol.

Some of that comes from an ATV where someone was showing off the Cryeditor.exe map that all the demos are coming from and they grabbed the light source and moved it around to change the shadows on the moons and stuff.

Of course backers didn't immediately understand how fake the demos they paid $12,000,000 for were by being shown literally how fake they were and instead saw the unlimited potential of dreams and imagination where planets were 100% real to life simulations due to the ability to manipulate the light source so easily.

It's one of those crazy train lines of reasoning that only the truly delusional have. "If they can move the sun that easily then all things are possible!!!!!!!" and not "Oh so this is just an editor map anyone could make" like most rational people would.

I made a scale solar system with correct orbits, axis rotations and relative planet sizes in Maya one time. Anyone looking at that and thinking I could give them anything but that is a loving retard projecting their own issues onto something.

Space Crabs fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Space Crabs posted:

I made a scale solar system with correct orbits, axis rotations and relative planet sizes in Maya one time. Anyone looking at that and thinking I could give them anything but that is a loving retard projecting their own issues onto something.

Shoulda put that poo poo on a kickstarter. Maybe spergs would have given you millions of dollars. Ya missed out, brah.