Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

if you're salaried and you can't get comp time (even if unofficial) it's time to get a new fuckin' job
if we can get official comp time I don't know how, which is super lame

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Holy poo poo, this job offer for computer touching is contingent on a physical and immunizations, never mind the piss harvesting. :staredog:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Iverron posted:

Holy poo poo, this job offer for computer touching is contingent on a physical and immunizations, never mind the piss harvesting. :staredog:

name and shame

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
no weak nerds here, gotta be hale and hearty to touch these computers

if you aren't pissing hot for steroids, no offer

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

expect to see more of that as healthcare providers keep running away with things not realizing parasites aren't supposed to kill their hosts

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Iverron posted:

immunizations i could understand (esp in CA) but lol @ physical + drug testing

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
my wife works as a computer toucher for a research hospital

they make her get regular TB tests to touch computers. she's never even in the same building as patients

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Twerk from Home posted:

my wife works as a computer toucher for a research hospital

they make her get regular TB tests to touch computers. she's never even in the same building as patients

i assume thats just a blanket policy for every employee though? seems not that unreasonable when u work at a research hospital tbh.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my computer job drug tests, and one of my contractor coworkers turned down an offer from them because of it a while back

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i haven't been drug tested in 10 years

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i have never been drug tested

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
drug testing for computer touching jobs is a weird choice

basically it's like saying we're going to check your boots for particulates of poo poo before we have you roll around in poo poo all day and get paid way too much to do it

Iverron
May 13, 2012

mishaq posted:

name and shame

local gig in a flyover state

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shaggar posted:

immunizations i could understand (esp in CA) but lol @ physical + drug testing

i'm guessing it's a company that mostly does other stuff and just happens to have an IT department. place i currently work at didn't ask about immunizations but did want a physical (which basically consisted of "are you having a cardiac episode right now? no? okay cool you pass") and a piss test. we have an actual warehouse with forklifts and poo poo on site though so i wouldn't be surprised if it's as much an insurance thing as anything else. it's also understandable that they wouldn't want only some of the workforce getting tested.

i was never big on weed so given all the other ways in which they generally appear to give a poo poo about their employees, i'm not terribly perturbed by the random drug testing policy.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 6, 2017

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
i got asked for my immunization records a few times but that's because "we might have to send you to bumfuck tropicana on a moment's notice" was a legit concern

one place had me get chest x ray for tuberculosis though that was pretty wtf

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody posted:

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

3 of the 4 places I've worked drug tested. seems somewhat standard nowadays if you're working anything government or financial related

on an unrelated note, got my annual review status, which was "killin' it" for both productivity and attitude. this translates to a better title and a "2, maybe 3% raise." that's real hosed up, right?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Clockwerk posted:

3 of the 4 places I've worked drug tested. seems somewhat standard nowadays if you're working anything government or financial related

on an unrelated note, got my annual review status, which was "killin' it" for both productivity and attitude. this translates to a better title and a "2, maybe 3% raise." that's real hosed up, right?

praise is free, you do an OK job but they don't really care if they lose you

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have to get fingerprinted for the job I'm about to start which is a first for me

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Clockwerk posted:

2% is a cost of living increase, not a raise. if you're killing it then that's a joke raise and you should tell them that.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
remember kids, inflation is taking out about 2% from the value of your paycheck every year. if you're not rising by more than that, you are making less money in real terms every year.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

The Management posted:

2% is a cost of living increase, not a raise. if you're killing it then that's a joke raise and you should tell them that.

My current place did the same "exceeds" on everything, 2% pay increase, heap the praise on and promise me that I will get that promotion they've been verbally promising for months now

i have multiple interviews next week

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Bloody posted:

Clockwerk posted:

i have only worked in defense and aerospace

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

The Management posted:

2% is a cost of living increase, not a raise. if you're killing it then that's a joke raise and you should quit and find a better place

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

was submitting an application directly to Amazon's careers site silly, and should I be using a recruiter instead?

Also how do you find a non-garbage recruiter

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

qirex posted:

I have to get fingerprinted for the job I'm about to start which is a first for me

I had to get all my finger prints taken for a CAC card when I was a contractor. It's pretty neat, they do the entire thing in one sitting and have a special machine print out a card while you wait. I honestly dont know why some bigger companies haven't adopted it as employee badges, its pretty solid 2 factor authentication

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

DuckConference posted:

was submitting an application directly to Amazon's careers site silly, and should I be using a recruiter instead?

just start sending dick pics on linkedin

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

DuckConference posted:

I submitted approximately 50 direct applications to companies and heard back from exactly one

as far as finding a decent recruiter good luck, you just have to talk to a bunch of them until you find a few who aren't idiots

qirex fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 6, 2017

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

same and then that one hired me :sun:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

DuckConference posted:

for big companies it works out a lot better if you search their jobs site and apply directly to a specific position. a recruiter that's close to that group is likely to see it. now since all recruiters are terrible that doesn't guarantee anything, but it's better than nothing.

although by far your best bet is to know someone at the company and have them recommend you. so start trawling your LinkedIn contacts.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Clockwerk posted:

lol

2-3% is a cost of living adjustment, not a raise

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

mishaq posted:

lol

2-3% is a cost of living adjustment, not a raise

Lol my company had a big, year-long performance review process which was transparently an attempt to stall for time, and then gave everyone the same 2% raise at the end of the year.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
last performance review I got an exceptional review and a junk% raise, so I'm real excited to see what I get this year

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 6, 2017

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
improvement required / 8%

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
5% then complained and got +5 days/year leave

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Destroyenator posted:

5% then complained and got +5 days/year leave

hahahahaha

last job, they gave us 3.5% after like 3 years of no raises, and were all "oh but we're also giving you 3 free vacation days! what a great deal for you"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

1 exceeds and 4 meets across 5 asinine categories and 2% but they were upfront it wasn't a raise

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
your rating is meaningless. all that matters is what was decided at the compensation meeting.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
lol i got "better than average overall, killings it in some places but not great in others" and still got 6.something percent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
"I was wrondering if you'd be interested in a position locally?"
"is it at XYZ?"
"yeah..."
"they turned me down last week."
"oh... erm... would you know anyone who'd be interested?"

• Locked thread