Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Internet Explorer posted:

If I set up voice attack I'm pretty sure my wife would kill me. Or never have sex with me again. One of the two.

:love: Just make all your voice commands nice wife complements :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Shatner, make me a sandwich! No babes, I was asking Shatner to make me a sandwich!

[Edit: This video is blowing my mind right now]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDkC0GORdQ8

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Internet Explorer posted:

Shatner, make me a sandwich! No babes, I was asking Shatner to make me a sandwich!

[Edit: This video is blowing my mind right now]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDkC0GORdQ8

IMO the straight celebrity voices are weird and not right. It should be a ships computer, look up voice attack EDI stuff instead. Also that poo poo he is showing you won't work a lot. Notice how during the launch command it scrolls to the "Launch" menu item and then selects it while docked? Well there is no way for an external program to know what is selected, so if you were scrolled down when saying that command you will end up just entering hte hanger or something else.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, I saw some of the ones where he had to interact and figured there wasn't a full sync going on there. I thought it was kind of cool that he supposedly chimed up when docking to enhance shields or lower landing gear when he was going in to land.

The AI voice is kind of boring. I want to pretend I'm on the USS Enterprise or something and a co-captain is acknowledging my orders. That's hilarious.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Or just go full blown hardcore nerd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFalBGaVNxU&t=19s

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Knifegrab posted:

IMO the straight celebrity voices are weird and not right. It should be a ships computer, look up voice attack EDI stuff instead.

Agreed. And do you mean EDI from Mass Effect? Cause if so, there is no one I'd rather have running my ship

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Agreed. And do you mean EDI from Mass Effect? Cause if so, there is no one I'd rather have running my ship

I mean look at the post directly above yours.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Is there a voice like CABAL from Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun? I'd pay for a spot-on recreation of that.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Sard posted:

Is there a voice like CABAL from Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun? I'd pay for a spot-on recreation of that.

You could almost certainly get something close with inova TTS voice and EDDI.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Knifegrab posted:

IMO the straight celebrity voices are weird and not right. It should be a ships computer, look up voice attack EDI stuff instead. Also that poo poo he is showing you won't work a lot. Notice how during the launch command it scrolls to the "Launch" menu item and then selects it while docked? Well there is no way for an external program to know what is selected, so if you were scrolled down when saying that command you will end up just entering hte hanger or something else.

Well if you're going celebrity you need to go classic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vJJvn_MXwg

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

DancingShade posted:

Well if you're going celebrity you need to go classic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vJJvn_MXwg

Again just feels totally out of place imo, slap a filter to make it sound computer and sure

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Knifegrab posted:

Again just feels totally out of place imo, slap a filter to make it sound computer and sure

I'm pretty sure that if they make an AI they'll be able to afford a couple good studio monitors to plug into the audio out so it sounds realistic instead of having it talk to you through a 1980s telephone speaker.

Dromio
Oct 16, 2002
Sleeper
I have Shatner (Orion) as my copilot and it is fantastic. I don't do too much with it, but as a vive user he does handle a lot of things that would be slower to do through menus or trying to hunt on my keyboard.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Knifegrab posted:

I mean look at the post directly above yours.

Welp. I assumed that was unrelated, don't know why. Still kind of uncanny valley for my tastes, base voice is too low and rich and that produces the same "bleh this is wrong" as Kirk being your computer bitch.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Dromio posted:

I have Shatner (Orion) as my copilot and it is fantastic. I don't do too much with it, but as a vive user he does handle a lot of things that would be slower to do through menus or trying to hunt on my keyboard.

Well, I guess I need a Vive and Shatner.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Welp. I assumed that was unrelated, don't know why. Still kind of uncanny valley for my tastes, base voice is too low and rich and that produces the same "bleh this is wrong" as Kirk being your computer bitch.

You can adjust the modulation to make it sound even more computer-ey. NO clue if it'll ever be good enough.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

DancingShade posted:

I'm pretty sure that if they make an AI they'll be able to afford a couple good studio monitors to plug into the audio out so it sounds realistic instead of having it talk to you through a 1980s telephone speaker.

I think if we'd make an AI we'd make it sound unrealistic specifically so we can tell it's an AI. Like the fake engine noise for electric cars. "Hey, there's a car coming" "Hey, this isn't a biological person"

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I remember a scifi series (The Hyperion Cantos, if anyone is interested) where they had long since figured out how to make androids appear completely human, but then went 'on second thought that's kind of creepy'. Their solution was to create all androids with bright blue skin, and then code them to have a deep aversion to trying to alter their skin color. There's something deeply disturbing about something pretending to be human and being too good at it.

Yeah. Personally I like using Voice Attack, especially in VR when I don't have as easy access to my keyboard, but I haven't installed a voice pack in mine. Those voice packs sound cool in theory but it seems to me that they'd get kind of samey pretty fast, plus there's only so much that you can gently caress around with it before they 'hey so this is just a program that parrots back a certain sentence when preprogrammed conditions come up, maybe with a randomiser thrown in' starts to shine through - there's a reason those demonstration videos on the tube are usually about five minutes long.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Drake_263 posted:

I remember a scifi series (The Hyperion Cantos, if anyone is interested) where they had long since figured out how to make androids appear completely human, but then went 'on second thought that's kind of creepy'. Their solution was to create all androids with bright blue skin, and then code them to have a deep aversion to trying to alter their skin color. There's something deeply disturbing about something pretending to be human and being too good at it.

Yeah. Personally I like using Voice Attack, especially in VR when I don't have as easy access to my keyboard, but I haven't installed a voice pack in mine. Those voice packs sound cool in theory but it seems to me that they'd get kind of samey pretty fast, plus there's only so much that you can gently caress around with it before they 'hey so this is just a program that parrots back a certain sentence when preprogrammed conditions come up, maybe with a randomiser thrown in' starts to shine through - there's a reason those demonstration videos on the tube are usually about five minutes long.

I like the way they do robots on Eve No Jikan, They are required by law to have a hologram over their heads designating they are android, but in an underground cafe they turn them off so they appear human and humans and androids mix.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_of_Eve

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
There is only one true form for an AI - that of Metal Mickey.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.
I am bad at ships.

Do not do what I did. Do not spontaneously buy ships when you're tired.

First I bought myself a Python. I built it for multirole courier/opportunistic trader/fuckaround specs, stuck a smallish fuel scoop (?) and a SRV on it, and then realized the ship is a clumsy mess with horrible jump range. Outwards to engineers! Sadly I don't have Palin or Gwent unlocked yet, so I just do some crap for Farseer and get it to be OK. It's a good ship, but it just doesn't have that somthing. So now I have a Python which is relatively slow and has mediocre cargo capacity but has lots of guns, so it can do... nothing well?

But I bet I know the solution! Imperial Clipper! I bet THIS will be the "does everything but combat" ship! I bet! So I fly to LYR system and get myself one. "Maybe I should try a multirole for this too?" Well, multirole sooooort of works, but the gas mileage on a Clipper is just awful and you simply need updated FSD because otherwise you just have to look for refuelling stations everywhere - and with the ship being limited to large landing pads, this can actually be an issue. I then decide to sell the guns, so now I have a heavily shielded and unarmed short-legged Clipper with 168t of cargo space :downsgun:

I just have no idea which ship I would like to modify for which. They're both so likeable! I like trader-courier builds that can pack a punch if needed. Should I relegate Clipper to combat and Python to trade-heavy?

El Perkele fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 6, 2017

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

El Perkele posted:

I just have no idea which ship I would like to modify for which. They're both so likeable! I like trader-courier builds that can pack a punch if needed. Should I relegate Clipper to combat and Python to trade-heavy?

Here's what I use if I want to haul cargo and do trade missions but still want to be able to take out pirates rather than running when interdicted.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/python/0prtkFflfdussf5151515272700040n044f0505370403020024.Iw18eQ==.IwBj4yoo?bn=Top%20Python

It's also good for trawling RES zones by kill-stealing wanted ships and collecting materials if you replace one of the racks with collector limpets.

On another note, I'm flying babby's first 'conda in RES zones and bounty hunting, and the ability to just hold down fire and not let go from when you engage an Elite Anaconda to when it blows up is amazing. I'm making at minimum $2M/hr.

One thing that made me laugh was in a fight with another anaconda that was going full-blown glitter shitter I managed to somehow get right up close to it and start pushing down on its bow with mine, trapping it directly in front of me with the bulk of its body directly in line with my sights. Even with it chaffing constantly and my targeting reticules flailing around wildly I didn't miss a shot because of how I'd managed to somehow pin him.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Somewhat related- I'm working on engineering a combat/ "light multipurpose" Imp Courier for general missioning and whatever when I get bored of doing more hauling/exploring stuff in my larger ship.

My question is a two parter: What's the best "strategy" for dogfighting PvE for outclassed ships? Am I terrible or is it not possible to actually get behind and stay behind the AI even when they have large ships and I'm crazy maneuverable? I'm OK mechanically with maneuvering, balancing the capacitor, and aiming, but I don't have a good handle on what to do besides "turn back toward enemy ship, shoot, repeat" which kills me for any opponent that has bigger guns. They always seem to be facing me, and if I get in close to try and circle I either get melted or they sit mostly still and pivot to murder me.

The other thing is that are there any weird pitfalls for highly engineering a light combat ship? Or general advice? I've only engineered a few modules for my explorer, and I am trying to avoid going all the way through the chains of engineers (for the moment at least) so I'm mostly sticking to T3 upgrades and the first 1-2 available levels in the chain of engineers. I tried playing with some weapons I wouldn't usually like fixed Beams but fixed anything on either wing hard point seems like a losing proposition, unless there's a way to set convergence.

Also maybe I'm not using the right weapons for a super fast/maneuverable but not tanky ship? Should I be using like cannons or missiles or something instead of lasers?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Somewhat related- I'm working on engineering a combat/ "light multipurpose" Imp Courier for general missioning and whatever when I get bored of doing more hauling/exploring stuff in my larger ship.

My question is a two parter: What's the best "strategy" for dogfighting PvE for outclassed ships? Am I terrible or is it not possible to actually get behind and stay behind the AI even when they have large ships and I'm crazy maneuverable? I'm OK mechanically with maneuvering, balancing the capacitor, and aiming, but I don't have a good handle on what to do besides "turn back toward enemy ship, shoot, repeat" which kills me for any opponent that has bigger guns. They always seem to be facing me, and if I get in close to try and circle I either get melted or they sit mostly still and pivot to murder me.

The other thing is that are there any weird pitfalls for highly engineering a light combat ship? Or general advice? I've only engineered a few modules for my explorer, and I am trying to avoid going all the way through the chains of engineers (for the moment at least) so I'm mostly sticking to T3 upgrades and the first 1-2 available levels in the chain of engineers. I tried playing with some weapons I wouldn't usually like fixed Beams but fixed anything on either wing hard point seems like a losing proposition, unless there's a way to set convergence.

Also maybe I'm not using the right weapons for a super fast/maneuverable but not tanky ship? Should I be using like cannons or missiles or something instead of lasers?

I wish you luck. I never found the right balance of weight/speed/combat performance while not running nuclear hot to power it all when I engineered the hell out of the iCourier.
You can make them amazing on paper but in practice there are just too many issues. The biggest was the tiny hull was super sensitive to any weight changes so you either strip it completely or load up and tank the flight performance.

Oh and the iCourier does not handle heat well. At all. While just a quirk normally it gets much worse with extreme engineering. This is a big issue when dirty drive boosting, trying to scoop fuel (more like sipping fuel) or even sustained fire from engineered guns pushing you into the red super quickly.

Ended up going "gently caress it" and scrapped the project. A Vulture is basically what you want - can carry some token cargo, engineers like a dream and combat performance out the wazoo. Or fly a DBS for the same but more helicopter gunship like.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 6, 2017

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Blech, I was worried about that. My goal was to keep cost low so I could afford to ship it out to Colonia and mission out there, but I have no interest in actually flying it out there myself.

Switching ships ships to anything beyond this price point means not only do I have to do a bunch of engineer grinding, but also credit grinding to ship it. (I might be wrong anyway, but I heard Colonia's transfer cost was the ships total cost*150%? That would mean I could transfer it for about 30m fully kitted.)

I know there's nothing in Colonia but my counter argument is there's actually nothing anywhere and Colonia sounds cool. :colbert:

Edit: But maybe the DBS is worth looking into!

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 6, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Blech, I was worried about that. My goal was to keep cost low so I could afford to ship it out to Colonia and mission out there, but I have no interest in actually flying it out there myself.

Switching ships ships to anything beyond this price point means not only do I have to do a bunch of engineer grinding, but also credit grinding to ship it. (I might be wrong anyway, but I heard Colonia's transfer cost was the ships total cost*150%? That would mean I could transfer it for about 30m fully kitted.)

I know there's nothing in Colonia but my counter argument is there's actually nothing anywhere and Colonia sounds cool. :colbert:

Edit: But maybe the DBS is worth looking into!

I flew to Colonia in an engineered and fully loaded for combat DBS (no class D compromises, unchanged from my bubble fit) with a jump range about 32 LY. Even had a military hull.

That thing just takes anything you tack on and doesn't care.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

DancingShade posted:

I flew to Colonia in an engineered and fully loaded for combat DBS (no class D compromises, unchanged from my bubble fit) with a jump range about 32 LY. Even had a military hull.

That thing just takes anything you tack on and doesn't care.

That might not be a bad path. What about the keelback now that it has a fighter? I know it got bad a rap before, but that's the other ship in the mix I considered. I should broaden my search a bit I guess. I was super set on the courier because it's so slick and fun to pilot.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

That might not be a bad path. What about the keelback now that it has a fighter? I know it got bad a rap before, but that's the other ship in the mix I considered. I should broaden my search a bit I guess. I was super set on the courier because it's so slick and fun to pilot.

It's still kind of frrpffttt. The drat thing doesn't even have a second pilot seat so you're stuck with NPC pilots for the fighter drone.

The Keelback's problem, though, is that it's a hull marginally tougher than a T6, with the guns of a Cobra, that makes a target both bigger, slower and less maneuverable than the T6. It just can't take enough punishment to be viable in any form of halfway combative role, with the added insult to injury that the fighter bay also will take up about half of your potential cargo capacity. I want to like it, I loved flying the T6 in a zen space trucker kind of a way, but the Keelback.. naw. Good idea, poor execution.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Finally decided to hop on this before it gets nerfed by the autism brigade but I can't for the life of me find whatever it is I'm supposed to be scanning. I scanned the nav point by the star so everything's pointing to the planet, but beyond that, nothing.

edit: And of course now I see the waypoints aren't at the base but the other side of the goddamn planet.

Edit 2: Most efficient way still blowing yourself up when you're done?

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 6, 2017

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I don't see why, once you've docked at a planetary base you cannot know the geological data of the planet you're umm, sitting on without going back out and using a planetary scanner.

Surely once you've docked and read the local newspaper or got drunk with "interesting Dave" at the station boozer you'd have 1st hand local mineral knowledge.

WHERE IS THE SOCIAL REALISM, FRONTIER? WAAAAAAH!

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Hexenritter posted:

Finally decided to hop on this before it gets nerfed by the autism brigade but I can't for the life of me find whatever it is I'm supposed to be scanning. I scanned the nav point by the star so everything's pointing to the planet, but beyond that, nothing.

edit: And of course now I see the waypoints aren't at the base but the other side of the goddamn planet.

Edit 2: Most efficient way still blowing yourself up when you're done?

Turn on silent running, go up about 500m and boost straight into the base screaming "AALLLLLAAAHUUUU ACKBAR!"

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Call me crazy, but flying back takes all of 90 seconds...

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
It's not nearly as satisfying as when you manage to take out one of the skimmers, though.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Call me crazy, but flying back takes all of 90 seconds...

It's partly the inconvenience, but mainly the gaping hole in logic. I mean, there'd be like a station computer giving out local info, like "Welcome to Apropos planet, please navigate this site to discover points of interest, travel deals, history, local goods and services, planetary assets, etc."

Wouldn't there?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

apropos man posted:

It's partly the inconvenience, but mainly the gaping hole in logic. I mean, there'd be like a station computer giving out local info, like "Welcome to Apropos planet, please navigate this site to discover points of interest, travel deals, history, local goods and services, planetary assets, etc."

Wouldn't there?

Sorry, I meant flying back from Quince...I totally agree with your point about planetary bodies and their mats!

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Sorry, I meant flying back from Quince...I totally agree with your point about planetary bodies and their mats!

Ah. I wasn't quite sure if you were referring to my post or not but I thought it rude not to acknowledge just in case.

Seeing as voice control has been mentioned recently, has anyone had trouble with VoiceAttack picking up false positives? It tends to work alright at first but after anything from 20 minutes onwards (particularly around 30 minutes) the recognition queue starts getting clogged up with false positives for words like "both" and "if".

My friend told me to try updating my audio drivers, so I just installed the latest Realtek for my MSI-Z77 mobo and restarted the PC. I left VoiceAttack running while I went down the shops and returned to this:

The MSI drivers were released in Feb '17, which is surprisingly current for such an old board, and I'm using a Sennheiser PC320 headset:

http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/gaming-headset-stereo-pc-320

I seem to get the best result with Windows mic boost feature set to 0% and the actual mic volume set to 100%. When I tried it with mic boost I think it was just introducing extra interference.

I created a workaround to the problem, which was to run VoiceAttack from a batch script that I wrote. The batch script does the following loop: start VoiceAttack, wait 1800 seconds (30 mins), terminate Voice Attack, wait 1 second, start VoiceAttack.

When my script terminates VoiceAttack it causes the screen to go blank for about half-a second, which is jarring if I'm in the middle of combat and the script isn't always 100% successful at starting VoiceAttack again.

It's quite annoying. I'm thinking that it's maybe the headphones because they were on Amazon sale for £40 a few months ago. But they're Sennheiser's, so they should be good :colbert:

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
With the voice packs, are you forced to use voice commands to trigger the voice overs? Or could I do something like turn off flight assist with the keyboard shortcut and have William Shatner say "Flight Assist Off".

I don't wanna talk, okay?!

Random Encounter
Jul 19, 2007
Freeform for life
Every time my ship explodes, if I attempt to access any panel, Station services, or Launch, the client hangs or crashes. This only happens after ship destruction, and no other time. Is this a known bug, or is there a work around?

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Breetai posted:

Here's what I use if I want to haul cargo and do trade missions but still want to be able to take out pirates rather than running when interdicted.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/python/0prtkFflfdussf5151515272700040n044f0505370403020024.Iw18eQ==.IwBj4yoo?bn=Top%20Python

It's also good for trawling RES zones by kill-stealing wanted ships and collecting materials if you replace one of the racks with collector limpets.

Thank you! I modified my Python a bit to resemble this (200t of cargo). I also threw in 3x large multicannon and 2x burst laser (beam would probably be better). Pretty nice hauler. I was pleasantly surprised when I got interdicted by a FAS. 3x large MCs just ripped it to shreds. Solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Dudes please use the new coriolis at https://coriolis.edcd.io the original is no longer updated.

This is your irregular reminder to come join us in discord. Check the PGS thread for details.

• Locked thread