Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

8 of 22 top pilots alive. Slightly better than expected, but only 1 of them is in Army Aviation and he's dead, which means the only real accumulation of aces is in the navy.
Surprised total losses were actually marginally below 2:1 though.

Noumea reconfirmed for if not Guadalcanal, then at least where Japanese expansion in the Pacific slowed to a crawl.
It's a hell of an improvement on the Phillipines!

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
How much better is Grey doing in term of territory held compared to historical Japan?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Can't you sneak some battleships into Noumea at night or under cover of the KB and bombard the poo poo out of it?

edit: By "can't you" I mean "couldn't one" not "can't Grey specifically because he's Grey obviously".

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Ow, that's a lot of planes. No wya to boost production or amp up pilot training otherwise?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I have to say it's cool as hell that you can reenforce a worthless island and then kill every single reenforcement in a single shock attack.

whitewhale
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe it's time to stop doing invasions? The past few just haven't gone that well.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular

whitewhale posted:

Maybe it's time to stop doing invasions? The past few just haven't gone that well.

That's the cowardly IJN in you talking, attack is the only way to preserve glorious Nippon and the IJA know this.

whitewhale
Feb 21, 2013

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

That's the cowardly IJN in you talking, attack is the only way to preserve glorious Nippon and the IJA know this.

30,000 troops are about to bulk surrender, that isn't very glorious. I mean I'm all for sending a hundred thousand pixel men to their deaths but maybe it can be done somewhere where they have the tiniest hope of taking some Allies with them?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

whitewhale posted:

30,000 troops are about to bulk surrender, that isn't very glorious. I mean I'm all for sending a hundred thousand pixel men to their deaths but maybe it can be done somewhere where they have the tiniest hope of taking some Allies with them?

Look, we all know the IJA is incompetent and cowardly.

Shift more resource to the IJN that it may engage the allies in more decisive battles until they get the message!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

I have to say it's cool as hell that you can reenforce a worthless island and then kill every single reenforcement in a single shock attack.

That was actually a deliberate attack. A shock attack with those odds would maybe have lost the entire force.

Grey can maybe take Noumea if he bombards the place for a month from air and sea, but I don't think he can get those resources in place.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

whitewhale posted:

The hope here would've been to not attack, and starve out the massive force with superior local naval support.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

A token kill outside the gates of Hawaii.

The Rangoon airfield is hit.

At least here we can win in the air.

It seems to be a day to hit our airfields.

The Allies counter attack.

We are pretty even on the plane kills today.

Ship kills continue to go our way.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They have got a lot of vehicles there to throw at your frankly poo poo anti-tank.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Allies try and land troops at Luganville – its a shame for them I have a cruiser stationed there.

We take damage, but break up this attempted invasion.

The airplanes help.

This is almost as bad as one of my invasions.

They do get troops ashore though! You will be unsurprised to hear that it is a New Zealand force.

The battle for Noumuea continues.

I need to increase my sweeps of this area.

The invasion of Luganville is interesting.

Its going to cost them a few ships.

whitewhale
Feb 21, 2013
The Greyverse, not content with establishing truly bizarre battleship doctrine has now set the stage for all naval invasions to be seen as foolish endeavors. Building giant bridges from one island to the next and marching across will be the way wars are thought for the next 100 years.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Are paratroopers a thing in this game?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

simplefish posted:

Yes, though I don't know if the Japanese get any. You can deliver paratroopers via cargo plane. They are small units, but useful for cutting off enemy supply routes or taking undefended bases.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

pthighs posted:

Yes, though I don't know if the Japanese get any. You can deliver paratroopers via cargo plane. They are small units, but useful for cutting off enemy supply routes or taking undefended bases.

They should, as they historically had several units of paratroopers. There are at least two notable operations they performed, one at the start of the war and one near the end.

If I recall correctly, near the start of the war, the paratroopers dropped in the Philippines performed well. The late-war operation was a suicide mission, almost literally, where they landed via glider aircraft at a US air force base (I can't recall which one of the top of my head) and basically just tossed explosives everywhere in an attempt at destroying as many planes, supplies, and infrastructure as possible.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

That was on Okinawa.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Allies spend the night unloading troops at Luganville.

Both sides send in fighters today. We come out on top.

All their bombers come in today, this is their major target it seems.

The carriers are out again, and they find more targets.

The ship kills begin to mount once more.

Fighter combat seems to be back in fashion.

We are doing some good damage.

I attack at Sinyang, but will wait for troops to come up from Hankow – which, you will note, has a ship landing supplies.

That was a fun day! I'll hit the men on Luganville tomorrow – I wanted to get more ashore so I could kill more. The Kiddo Butai is heading to the region to hunt as well.

The Kido Butai is already getting stuck in!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
How many soldiers have the raiding carriers taken out in hte last couple of weeks? Enough to upt a major dent into the Allies ability to make landings?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

simplefish posted:

Yes. Their main practical use in this game is to seize undefended hexes to close encirclements if you're confident that there's not going to be a relief force.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

wedgekree posted:

How many soldiers have the raiding carriers taken out in hte last couple of weeks? Enough to upt a major dent into the Allies ability to make landings?

Let's just say this is the worst timeline in which to be a Japanese pilot or an American soldier.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
All research on the Bomb has been cancelled and instead scientists are now desperately trying to figure out how to give Marines gills

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

All research on the Bomb has been cancelled and instead scientists are now desperately trying to figure out how to give Marines gills

Ice 9 dropped into the South Pacific. Just drive Sherman tanks across Tokyo Harbor.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Nah, they're probably just doubling down on what's been successful for them. So along with more heavy bombing potential they're stealing Nazi super-weapon designs for tanks the size of houses.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
The US is gonna develop ICBMs in 1947 and mass produce them for conventional bombing of the Japanese Home Islands until surrender.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We lose a few more planes to bombers.

I'm pretty sure whoever commands the New Zealand troops also commanded in World War I.....

Those poor bloody Kiwis.....

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Allied adjusted defence: 1

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
We're not quite at Anzac day yet Grey. You need to save some for later.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I'm loving the 521 casualties out of 490 troops.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

In this timeline, the battle forms the climax of the 1997 epic war drama "Holy Spirits."

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

TheDemon posted:

I'm loving the 521 casualties out of 490 troops.

Some of those guys are going back for seconds, apparently.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Casualties don't mean dead. We shot a few guys twice.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We trade a fighter for a bomber.

The next wave has fighter support.

The carriers are on their way to the Luganville area, but everywhere else is pretty quiet.

Carrying on with the “how has life changed while doing this LP “– this thing is one today!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

It's been a full year already? Congrats.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Huh...

Must take after his mother.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Allied adjusted defence: 1

Funny thing. I've noticed that sometimes the adjusted defense is 0, and in those cases, the game gives 99:1 odds (some programmer did that to avoid a divide-by-zero error). But if you have a 1, then the adjusted odds can be higher: in this case, 156:1.

It hardly matters (you're going to lose regardless) but I find it amusing that if the defenders manage to put up some bare semblance of a fight (1), they are worse off than if they just couldn't fight at all.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Grey Junior has succeeded with a shock attack on my heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009
My headcanon is that's a rocking croctopus. There's enough of it occluded that I can still believe!