Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Kreeblah posted:

I just bought a new car, and since my old one was from 1995, this is my first car with Bluetooth in it. Problem is, my Pixel XL keeps getting "stuck" when playing audio over the Bluetooth connection. It'll act like I hit pause, but it'll still show a pause button instead of a play button, and just won't do anything else unless I cancel playback completely and restart it (pausing/unpausing does nothing). The 7.1.2 update improved things somewhat, but it's still pretty bad. I have an iPad that I tried with my car and it works great, so it seems like an issue with my phone.

Is Bluetooth just crappy on these in general, or is it my specific phone? I already went through the RMA process once when the GPS module died, and I'm not really looking forward to having to do it again.

Is this using Google Music?

I'm having the exact same problem, but not in a car, and only within the last month or so. It stops playing music, but the play/pause button shows "pause" (ie it's not paused, it thinks it's still playing?). I use Bluetooth at work and it happens with annoying frequency. I've changed nothing and have been using this Bluetooth connector for well over a year.

A quick search shows that this has been a problem in the past with Google Music. Maybe other apps too? I haven't found a solution, and it's annoying as hell.

I was able to catch it doing it with headphones in and Bluetooth off. I largely use my phone for music through Bluetooth, though, so it's hard to say if it happening mostly on Bluetooth is notable or only reflects my majority usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

ilkhan posted:

Why are you turning your phone off?

Because for whatever reason if I connect my Bluetooth headphones to my phone then my phone won't either see or connect to my off-brand fitbit, and vice versa. Tried debugging this issue but can't find what causes it, and rebooting my phone fixes it temporarily, so... :effort:

Helter Skelter posted:

I haven't messed with it, but in the sound settings on my G5+, there's a "Power up sound" setting.

E: messed with it, it does in fact disable the sound during the boot animation.

Thanks for this :)

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Mikl posted:

Because for whatever reason if I connect my Bluetooth headphones to my phone then my phone won't either see or connect to my off-brand fitbit, and vice versa. Tried debugging this issue but can't find what causes it, and rebooting my phone fixes it temporarily, so... :effort:

Thanks for this :)

Is it a mi band 2? The mi fit app is bad and I get better connectivity using the notify and fitness app

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

incogneato posted:

Is this using Google Music?

I'm having the exact same problem, but not in a car, and only within the last month or so. It stops playing music, but the play/pause button shows "pause" (ie it's not paused, it thinks it's still playing?). I use Bluetooth at work and it happens with annoying frequency. I've changed nothing and have been using this Bluetooth connector for well over a year.

A quick search shows that this has been a problem in the past with Google Music. Maybe other apps too? I haven't found a solution, and it's annoying as hell.

I was able to catch it doing it with headphones in and Bluetooth off. I largely use my phone for music through Bluetooth, though, so it's hard to say if it happening mostly on Bluetooth is notable or only reflects my majority usage.

I'm using Plex. It doesn't do it when I'm not playing through Bluetooth, though, so I'm pretty sure that's what's doing it.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Kreeblah posted:

I'm using Plex. It doesn't do it when I'm not playing through Bluetooth, though, so I'm pretty sure that's what's doing it.

Interesting. What you're describing is so similar to what I'm experiencing that I have to assume it's the same. I would love a fix, because it's incredibly annoying.

I can hit next song to get it going again, for what it's worth. That may be app specific, though.

Also, these are all downloaded songs, so it's not a data connection issue.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

incogneato posted:

Interesting. What you're describing is so similar to what I'm experiencing that I have to assume it's the same. I would love a fix, because it's incredibly annoying.

I can hit next song to get it going again, for what it's worth. That may be app specific, though.

Also, these are all downloaded songs, so it's not a data connection issue.

Yeah, I've noticed that skipping to the next track gets it going again for a bit, but it's still annoying. And this is all with stuff synced to my phone, too, because I wanted to make sure it wasn't a cell network issue.

It's interesting that it's happening with other Bluetooth things, though. I figured it was just a car thing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've had that issue on and off for years now in various android phones. It's frickin irritating.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

I've had that issue on and off for years now in various android phones. It's frickin irritating.

It almost seems like a Per App issue. I used to have that issue all the time with Groove Music so I switched to Google Play/Spotify, then Groove fixed their crap (though they still suck) and Google play/Spotify started doing it between updates.

Right now everything seems to be working ok, but I just have Spotify lying to me about watching this ad to get 30 minutes of free music, I can either not tap the "watch now" button for whatever reason, or I do, and I let it play, then it continues to do all the normal commercials anyway.

I continue to feel less and less bad streaming at home where my adblocker blocks all their ads completely.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I've had the issue with Google Play as well, but only when I play music that I haven't uploaded myself. It's not connected to a car or using Bluetooth.

I can listen to music a full day on my headphones without any issue, as long as it's my own uploads, but as soon as I start playing albums I haven't bought, I get the pauses as well.
Hitting pause and play and the track starts playing again from the position it paused at.

I actually tested it the other day, where an album I didn't own, kept pausing. Spending some rewards bux on it, and now I can listen to it without any interruptions. Checked another newly released album I didn't own, and it paused a few times.

It definitely seems to me like it's a Google server issue and not a player/app issue.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Chiming in to say it has been happening to me too. I thought it was the bluetooth issue people were having before.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Combat Pretzel posted:

This is some schizo poo poo from Google. Had a Nexus 5X sitting around here, reactivated it, it pulled some updates and eventually I got a notification of Android 7.1.2. Told it to download it, it started doing that. Then I popped in my SIM card and it aborted it and now pretends there's no 7.1.2 for my device. What the gently caress!

Funny, I'm noticing the reverse with two Nexus 6p devices. The one with my AT&T SIM in it notified me about the 7.1.2 update this morning, but the replacement without a SIM has updated all the way to 7.1.1 and march security updates but pretends 7.1.2 doesn't exist. Once I test the battery I'll swap SIMs and see if it magically appears.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Crossposting from the infosec thread:

quote:

A broad array of Android phones is vulnerable to attacks that use booby-trapped Wi-Fi signals to achieve full device takeover, a researcher has demonstrated.

The vulnerability resides in a widely used Wi-Fi chipset manufactured by Broadcom and used in both iOS and Android devices. Apple patched the vulnerability with Monday's release of iOS 10.3.1. "An attacker within range may be able to execute arbitrary code on the Wi-Fi chip," Apple's accompanying advisory warned. In a highly detailed blog post published Tuesday, the Google Project Zero researcher who discovered the flaw said it allowed the execution of malicious code on a fully updated 6P "by Wi-Fi proximity alone, requiring no user interaction."

Google is in the process of releasing an update in its April security bulletin. The fix is available only to a select number of device models, and even then it can take two weeks or more to be available as an over-the-air update to those who are eligible. Company representatives didn't respond to an e-mail seeking comment for this post.

The proof-of-concept exploit developed by Project Zero researcher Gal Beniamini uses Wi-Fi frames that contain irregular values. The values, in turn, cause the firmware running on Broadcom's wireless system-on-chip to overflow its stack. By using the frames to target timers responsible for carrying out regularly occurring events such as performing scans for adjacent networks, Beniamini managed to overwrite specific regions of device memory with arbitrary shellcode. Beniamini's code does nothing more than write a benign value to a specific memory address. Attackers could obviously exploit the same series of flaws to surreptitiously execute malicious code on vulnerable devices within range of a rogue access point.

https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/04/wide-range-of-android-phones-vulnerable-to-device-hijacks-over-wi-fi/
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1046#c1
https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.ca/2017/04/over-air-exploiting-broadcoms-wi-fi_4.html

The Project Zero blog entry is fantastic and incredibly in depth, highly recommend a read.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Very interesting. Just got the April OTA, too.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

If only we had heeded the grim warning of Watch_Dogs

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Blue Train posted:

Is it a mi band 2? The mi fit app is bad and I get better connectivity using the notify and fitness app

Holy poo poo thank you so much. That app 100% solved my connectivity issues and also has way more features than the official Mi Band app! :iia:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I'm getting a OnePlus 3 from a friend next week but its camera is busted so I'd like to replace it.
http://www.witrigs.com/oem-rear-camera-for-oneplus-3
It this fine site for replacement parts? Are the parts actually real OEM?
I also want to replace its battery but they have it sold out and others options I've found so far seemed dodgy. Any suggestions on that front?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
http://www.androidcentral.com/oneplus-doing-everything-right

lmao

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm a OnePlus buyer, and this is jackass

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
For real, just buy a g5+ for less then 300$, at 400$ I loving love my Axon 7 and it's been kept remarkably up to date. Otherwise get a pixel, they are real good

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

quote:

Android Central

Well there's the issue

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

datajosh posted:

Well there's the issue

I usually don't mind reading them, in fact this is the first thing in a while that I have gotten a kick out of from a major Android site. What's their deal?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Comcast, the worst company in the US, is about to become an MVNO on Verizon because apparently awful, customer-hating companies like to hang out together and CDMA is never going to die the death it deserves

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

But but it just works....

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

B-b-but the RAM

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

quote:

and as I sit here with a newly-released Midnight Black OnePlus 3T running Android 7.1.1 Oxygen OS Open Beta 4, if you must know

Daily driver, solid

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

It's easy to confuse improved with good. And it's easy to confuse good in some detached sense with good relative to what else is available. And it's easy to confuse your biases for the device you have with objectiveness.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I will admit that I look forward to seeing 6+Gb ram as standard in the High End.

The more ram the better. Everyone wants to say Android can multitask. No, it can't. It just eats all the memory for everything you aren't doing, and forgets what you are actually doing the second you switch 2 apps away and come back.

Imagine if you had to close and reopen every app you had running at the same time on your Windows PC when you went to check your web browser, then went back to your Word document? :stare:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

My phone has 2gb of ram and switches between awful chrome Spotify and maps just fine :shrug:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

EdEddnEddy posted:

I will admit that I look forward to seeing 6+Gb ram as standard in the High End.

The more ram the better. Everyone wants to say Android can multitask. No, it can't. It just eats all the memory for everything you aren't doing, and forgets what you are actually doing the second you switch 2 apps away and come back.

Imagine if you had to close and reopen every app you had running at the same time on your Windows PC when you went to check your web browser, then went back to your Word document? :stare:

The pixel does not do this. I don't know how much ram it has, though, because it doesn't matter past a certain point unless the software is lovely.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

You've described my work computer.

My phone doesn't do this. Maybe you bought a bad phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

You have a poo poo garbage phone if you're experiencing this. A properly made phone/OS does not need 6GB+ RAM, as the Pixel and iPhone prove. Stop buying bad phones.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well my own phones have only gotten up to 3G (LG G3 and 6P only have 3) but have always seemed to either get slow if things are left running in the background, or always reload the app/page/game you were on if you go away for either too long, or too far.

Not just talking facebook since that happens on all devices, but even on a 4G device it still does it. I will admit the Pixel and other 4G phones are better for sure, but I still feel 6G will finally give apps room to exist.

When you have X memory, but always seem to have 3/4 of it in use at all times for whatever background google service, it just seems like if 6G can't cure it, they need to stop taking their memory management from Windows Vista.

I also may have tooo many Chrome tabs cached away in my Chrome as well... However even when I haven't opened any of them outside of a single page, if I leave Chrome running in the background it always seems to memory leak the phone into slowness town after a while.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

What does the cell radio speed have to do with amount of RAM? :confused:

e: oh you mean "GB" not "G", stop using the wrong term, you're being confusing
e2: if you experienced that on the 6P, you were doing something wrong. Close some of your Chrome tabs maybe?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Very occasionally, I'll notice that stuff seems to have been kicked out of memory on my 6P, but it's barely an issue and the phone is quick enough to make it even less of an issue.

Also, the way many apps are coded it makes it seem like they got kicked out of memory, but really they're just not handling the app switching in an elegant or correct manner.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Maybe that is just my issue. Apps just don't seem to get App Switching right and pretty much every game needs a reload regardless of how long you have gone away if its > 5 seconds.

On the flipside, it would be cool if the increase in memory could allow the app switcher to have semi real time updated task switching cards. So if you are playing Spotify it will show the correct song playing, if you have youtube going and you switch out it would show the video playing in the card as you swipe it around, etc.

Extra load and needless I know, but would still make the experience a little more dynamic and consistent.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

EdEddnEddy posted:

Well my own phones have only gotten up to 3G (LG G3 and 6P only have 3) but have always seemed to either get slow if things are left running in the background, or always reload the app/page/game you were on if you go away for either too long, or too far.

Not just talking facebook since that happens on all devices, but even on a 4G device it still does it. I will admit the Pixel and other 4G phones are better for sure, but I still feel 6G will finally give apps room to exist.

When you have X memory, but always seem to have 3/4 of it in use at all times for whatever background google service, it just seems like if 6G can't cure it, they need to stop taking their memory management from Windows Vista.

I also may have tooo many Chrome tabs cached away in my Chrome as well... However even when I haven't opened any of them outside of a single page, if I leave Chrome running in the background it always seems to memory leak the phone into slowness town after a while.

Unused RAM is wasted RAM, it doesn't work the same way Windows does with memory management. It is possible a different application is leaking but Android has always been weird about app switching and reloading after a while. I experience it on my Pixel if I've been away from an app for a while, in fact I've never used a device that I simply could switch back to after it's been unused for an hour or after a few other apps.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Has anyone on Verizon got the 7.1.2 update for their Pixel? Is it being held up due to the Broadcom vulnerability?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Has anyone on Verizon got the 7.1.2 update for their Pixel? Is it being held up due to the Broadcom vulnerability?

My understanding is that it's fixed in the April security update which 7.1.2 includes.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

My understanding is that it's fixed in the April security update which 7.1.2 includes.

Well that's good to know. What's the typical rollout period for these minor versions? I thought I got updates pretty quickly in previous months.

On a different subject, how can I turn off LTE on a Galaxy S7 running Android 7.0? It's on AT&T and gets terrible reception inside my work. I can use the dialer to get to a menu that allows me to change the network type, but that's only temporary. After a while it changes itself back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It can take close to a month for the rollout to happen. They seem to be pretty quick on the small security updates, but the larger point updates are ones that Google doles out over time.

There's always the option to sideload like I did last night.