Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

posting on a dead forum in a thread about dead forum in a geek squad sub forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

AWWNAW posted:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

AWWNAW posted:

I'm all this but also worst poster in the thread

pram
Jun 10, 2001

AWWNAW posted:

:q:

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
The forums can be great again, I think, we just, uh,...
*ejects round*
Well, you see people get caught up in sides and identity politics and...
*chambers bullet*
People just can't take a joke anymore!
*bang*

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
lowtax is right about the internet

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sham bam bamina! posted:

no one ever disputed that

somehow managing to just break even with all that effort while schmucks like zuck fall into piles of money is the real trick

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

i think the rewrite could stand a chance if we had a decent jira board

once low tax sees that burn down he's bound to ask for shorter sprints

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

replace ADTRW with a link to /r/fuckanimepillow

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

AWWNAW posted:

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Sham bam bamina! posted:

that which is dead and gay may never gently caress you and die

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i wonder what job lowtax is going to get now that this internet fad has blown over

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it's hard to imagine that changing forum
software is going to increase user base

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

zen death robot posted:

a mobile site that works which is 100% necessary in 2012

some suckers already did an app for free though

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I'm posting from my phone right now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

akadajet posted:

I'm posting from my phone right now.

id wager that the mobile apps as they are now will work better than the ones available a year after the transition

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hard to say, really. the mobile apps are hacks that scrape the data and translate it into a semi-usable format. xenforo (assuming lowtax goes with that) already does responsive design, so an app isn't really necessary, but there are apps for it anyway

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

but it's p lol that there's a bunch of devs who have spent probably hundreds of hours on dead gay apps that will be completely useless in the near future

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

"near"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

but it's p lol that there's a bunch of devs who have spent probably hundreds of hours on dead gay apps that will be completely useless in the near future

i think you'll struggle to label any forum-related activity as useful even with fairly liberal definitions of what usefulness means

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
i just use the forums in safari on my iphone and it works good except for spoilers in yospos so i dont see the big deal with the app?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
tbf, most people probably aren't browsing SA in tyool 2017

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
I think any rewrite should automatically support sending all threads I subscribe to via email so I do not have to execute any nontrivial nonfree Javascript code. Maybe allow me to post that way as well. Also, somebody brought up lisp and...

Also, I hope the problem with iOS is that spoilers don't show.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Hollow Talk posted:

Also, I hope the problem with iOS is that spoilers don't show.

yeah it's that, and only with the yospos css, it works in grey forums just fine

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i've never understood the clamoring for a mobile version of sa because i cannot fathom having the desire to post when you're out in the world using your phone, let alone home near a computer anyway

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:

Stymie posted:

i've never understood the clamoring for a mobile version of sa because i cannot fathom having the desire to post when you're out in the world using your phone, let alone home near a computer anyway

sometimes you need to walk the shame off, but still remain in its grasp

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
it's... happening?? :aaa:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Stymie posted:

im often away from my place with just an ipad and a phone and i enjoy reading funy computer posts during downtime at night. or when im in a boring meeting.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Endless Mike posted:

its okay, my time is worthless

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sham bam bamina! posted:

it's... happening?? :aaa:

cool

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

hmm, they've been used by thousands of people for years but yeah what a waste of time

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Stymie posted:

toilet posting

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

syscall girl posted:

hmm, they've been used by thousands of people for years but yeah what a waste of time

at least dozens, anyway

wait are we talking about all forums or just the dead/gay variety?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

awful.app is great and ill cherish every moment i had with it over the years

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
surely it had value for the resume of the devs as making a usable app out of a vbulletin forum is unironically a feat of engineering up there with the space shuttle

poty fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 7, 2017

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
they should get the awful.app guy or gal (#feminism) working on the new forums

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

poty posted:

surely it had value for the resume of the devs as making a usable app out of a vbulletin forum is unironically a feat of engineering up there with the space shuttle
more like the forum itself is a feat of engineering up there with the space shuttle

a bad design, needlessly overcomplicated due to bullshit political reasons, difficult to control properly and that explodes at the drop of a hat

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

jony ive aces posted:

more like the forum itself is a feat of engineering up there with the space shuttle

a bad design, needlessly overcomplicated due to bullshit political reasons, difficult to control properly and that explodes at the drop of a hat

and dont forget completely out of use.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

emoji posted:

I'm Jon Hendren's 'really good' GED score and demanding job that precludes making 5 posts per day on a forum but allows 24/7 Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's almost as if the comment about his ged was an exaggeration

almost like he wasn't being serious, perhaps intentionally so... hrm hrrrrmery

• Locked thread