Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

In a world where magic exists how could you so much as have a muscle cramp without running to get a divination done to find out who's cursing the poo poo out of you and needs a toolbox to the back of the head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Huckabee Sting posted:

I have a player who used Fey Presence of the archfey warlock to charm a NPC who normally hates this player's guts. Would it be feasible that the NPC became aware of the charm effect after it wore off? I know the charm spell specifically​ calls this situation out, but the class power only states they get the charmed condition. I plan on having the NPC aware of the charming but I would like others opinions because it will change the entire direction of the next session.

You're right that the power doesn't call out their being aware of it the way the Charm spells do, so if your player is the rules lawyer type he could make a case that the fact that they explicitly don't call it for Fey Presence means it doesn't happen.

That said, from a story stand point neither does the power say it alters your memory of the event. So I think I'd make it so that people who don't have a reason to doubt it...some random shopkeeper who likes the cut of your jib and gives you a big discount say....doesn't look back at the event as anything other than you being especially charming. But someone, as in your case, who hates the PC's guts and thinks about what happened should realize there was no good reason for him to act the way he did, and (especially if the PC is known to be a Warlock) decide that magic was responsible.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
How would you guys handle a person wanting a Fighter type but envisioning a spear and shield guy? Reading through the weapon types, feats and such, given that spears are 'simple' versions you would lose out on the bonuses gained from martial/finesse weapons, and after that, the feats that expand on them as well, it seems. I certainly wouldn't want to be thought of trying to min-max my way into a broken setup, but at the same time, wouldn't want to choose things brashly that could end up as a detriment to reasonable effectiveness in a party.

The original thought was an defensive Eldritch Knight Fighter that used a bonded spear & shield (Yes I hear those buzzers on bonding a shield since it's not a 'weapon,' maybe it'd be ok'd DM since it could be thought of as a nerf in a way?) so that he'd be able to throw a spear as a lesser damaging hit and then summon it back with the bond.

I'll fully admit that as someone that's never actually played and made characters, I've probably let my imagination go far, far beyond what it should and just go with some kind of pregenerated thing to get over it :)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

DKWildz posted:

How would you guys handle a person wanting a Fighter type but envisioning a spear and shield guy? Reading through the weapon types, feats and such, given that spears are 'simple' versions you would lose out on the bonuses gained from martial/finesse weapons, and after that, the feats that expand on them as well, it seems. I certainly wouldn't want to be thought of trying to min-max my way into a broken setup, but at the same time, wouldn't want to choose things brashly that could end up as a detriment to reasonable effectiveness in a party.

The original thought was an defensive Eldritch Knight Fighter that used a bonded spear & shield (Yes I hear those buzzers on bonding a shield since it's not a 'weapon,' maybe it'd be ok'd DM since it could be thought of as a nerf in a way?) so that he'd be able to throw a spear as a lesser damaging hit and then summon it back with the bond.

I'll fully admit that as someone that's never actually played and made characters, I've probably let my imagination go far, far beyond what it should and just go with some kind of pregenerated thing to get over it :)

talk about what you want to do with your character with your DM and if he's any good he'll give you chances down the road to make it happen.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

You can always (assuming no one is a turbo jerk about it) pick a weapon you like and use its mechanics but call it something else for purely aesthetic reasons. For example, choose a long sword and shield and use all its numbers and rules but just say it's a spear?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

You can always (assuming no one is a turbo jerk about it) pick a weapon you like and use its mechanics but call it something else for purely aesthetic reasons. For example, choose a long sword and shield and use all its numbers and rules but just say it's a spear?

This is what cool guy P.d0t did for me when my character concept was a Greek Hoplite that wanted to be a Rogue for the Bonus Action Disengage and Sneak Attack, but needed the weapon to be Finesse so it couldn't literally be a Spear as defined by the equipment list.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

blastron posted:

Is there even a rule explicitly spelling out that a single damage roll applies to all creatures caught within the spell?

Yes, there is. It's in the PHB on page 196, under the Damage Rolls header.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

All these UA articles, including a bunch of useless spells, and no new weapons. I'm tired of every single Dex based player using a rapier because it's the only good finesse weapon.

Bring back the Mercurial Greatsword.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Hello Sailor posted:

Home now, looking at the PHB, and I've reached the same conclusion as you two. I think the spell text indicates the save happens before the damage roll for all the spells I've looked at.
I feel like as long as nothing specifically says you must choose before you know the outcome, you can do the rolls in pretty much any order you want.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

I got to play with someone who got super upset when I did with with a bow (saying it was a crossbow cause they are cooler). Insert DnD brain damage jokes here.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

DKWildz posted:

A Trident is the martial equivalent of the Spear in every meaningful way (only differences are 1 lb heavier and 4 gp more to buy, so nothing...) so you can just roll with that if people get sticky about rules. The Septum, Partisan and Ranseur look more spear-like, if you want to envision what that might look like instead of picturing what Poseidon and Aqua-Man swim around with.

EDIT: if you do have a cool and normal person running things who is OK with the spear, try to convince them to allow you an Atlatl for extra range. I never really understood why those count as exotic when you can basically go to any pet store and get the modern incarnation of it as the thing you use to throw you dog's ball farther than normal.

kingcom posted:

I got to play with someone who got super upset when I did with with a bow (saying it was a crossbow cause they are cooler). Insert DnD brain damage jokes here.

But there is a crossbow, so why would you have to do that?

Antifreeze Head fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 6, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

kingcom posted:

Total Party Thrill recently did a great episode on re-flavoring. Feel free to send that person a link to the episode http://www.totalpartythrillcast.com/2017/03/23/tpt-86-reflavoring-captain-america/

Antifreeze Head posted:

Bows are easily 3-5 times cooler than crossbows.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Antifreeze Head posted:

Because crossbows are garbage trap options.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

kingcom posted:

Was it spergery along the lines of "crossbows have the loading property and mechanically function differently from bows in D&D. Furthermore," because I could actually see that argument not only being made, but also being kind of correct? Like, ultimately, flavor things however, but if I was like a guy with a light crossbow and someone at the table was using a "bow that is a crossbow actually but we're using bow stats," and popping off multiple shots in a turn or something like that, I'd be a bit salty. But I'd expect the DM to just let me do the same thing, rather than whine for a nerf.

I mean, I kind of get it, in that case, because crossbows are a thing in the game that are more or less mechanically inferior in every way to regular bows, and yet they are, in fact, cooler. So if I built a character based on that and then someone came along and was like "welp my bow is actually a crossbow ayyy" I don't know that I'd get upset but I'd be kinda bummed if my crossbow guy was now mechanically inferior than a bow guy while the bow guy gets the cool points and the mechanical benefits, y'know?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Paramemetic posted:

Was it spergery along the lines of "crossbows have the loading property and mechanically function differently from bows in D&D. Furthermore," because I could actually see that argument not only being made, but also being kind of correct? Like, ultimately, flavor things however, but if I was like a guy with a light crossbow and someone at the table was using a "bow that is a crossbow actually but we're using bow stats," and popping off multiple shots in a turn or something like that, I'd be a bit salty. But I'd expect the DM to just let me do the same thing, rather than whine for a nerf.

If I were in those shoes, it'd either be "just all of you use bows and call it what you like, don't even worry about it", or "there's only one of you that's a primary ranged fighter, so it doesn't really matter what Bob calls his ranged weapons"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I had a fighter who we called his bow a pistol and his shortsword a blunderbuss. Nobody cared, the mechanics are still as intended, just referring to them in narrative differently.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
Thanks everyone. I went to the local game store at sat in and watched their 'Encounters' deal they had last night (You had to pre-register at least a day in advance to join), but it was probably a good thing that I didn't join up as they just seemed to fall in and go at it and with me being brand new I probably would have held things up immensely not even having a character or anything.

I'll keep all the re-flavoring and such and weapons/ideas in mind. I started looking at Roll20 for some possibilities of joining up with a brand new group doing the lowest level stuff, but looking at each one it reminds me of the old MMO raiding guild application pages where you're basically applying for a job, and then get an interview after that if you make the short list. Asking for DM lenience on flavoring and stuff might just be a real easy way for the DM to filter me out in favor of other people, but I suppose you never know. Worst that can happen by applying is not hearing back!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

DKWildz posted:

I'd just let spears work with Polearm Master, because it works with quarterstaves and the only difference is bludgeoning vs piercing damage, and Thrown. *Maaaaaybe* remove Thrown but a Fighter isn't going to be throwing their main weapon ever very often, even if they can recall it as a bonus action.

Stick & Board + Dueling Style + PAM, good Fighter, good to go.

I personally want to try something like this but with the Hexblade UA.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

DKWildz posted:

Thanks everyone. I went to the local game store at sat in and watched their 'Encounters' deal they had last night (You had to pre-register at least a day in advance to join), but it was probably a good thing that I didn't join up as they just seemed to fall in and go at it and with me being brand new I probably would have held things up immensely not even having a character or anything.

I'll keep all the re-flavoring and such and weapons/ideas in mind. I started looking at Roll20 for some possibilities of joining up with a brand new group doing the lowest level stuff, but looking at each one it reminds me of the old MMO raiding guild application pages where you're basically applying for a job, and then get an interview after that if you make the short list. Asking for DM lenience on flavoring and stuff might just be a real easy way for the DM to filter me out in favor of other people, but I suppose you never know. Worst that can happen by applying is not hearing back!

You can filter roll20 by games that specifically allow new players and that'll improve your chances a bit. If you find ones running Lost Mines of Phandelver or The Master's Vault, those are probably more likely to accept new players. (Master's Vault in particular is a short 1-2 session thing for new players and new DMs)

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
What would be a good module to start with for a group of players who are all new to D&D and a DM (me) who hasn't really played since mid-4th edition. Preferably something with a choice of pre-made characters, since the players are all pretty new to the game. \

Is the starter set still a good option for this, or have better modules dropped since?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Starter set is definitely good for that, I'd go for that.

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad

Dr. Platypus posted:

What would be a good module to start with for a group of players who are all new to D&D and a DM (me) who hasn't really played since mid-4th edition. Preferably something with a choice of pre-made characters, since the players are all pretty new to the game. \

Is the starter set still a good option for this, or have better modules dropped since?

Starter set.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Dr. Platypus posted:

It really is exactly what you want in your situation.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Tenser's Transformation making a comeback along with a bunch of other garbage spells. Brilliant!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Antifreeze Head posted:

It was in a Pathfinder game for context but really in all dnd a bow is mechanically better than any kind of crossbow (and this is made far worse when you consider the need for a feat chain to be taken to just have a crossbow match up with the same basic mechanics as a bow before you even think about adding strength to damage etc). So rather than just handicap myself for the sake of taking something thats cool, I just re fluffed it.

Paramemetic posted:

I mean, I kind of get it, in that case, because crossbows are a thing in the game that are more or less mechanically inferior in every way to regular bows, and yet they are, in fact, cooler. So if I built a character based on that and then someone came along and was like "welp my bow is actually a crossbow ayyy" I don't know that I'd get upset but I'd be kinda bummed if my crossbow guy was now mechanically inferior than a bow guy while the bow guy gets the cool points and the mechanical benefits, y'know?

I was the only ranged character in the part and the guy who got upset was playing a wizard lol. It literally only came up because one of the players drew some art of the party and my character had a crossbow so I had to explain 'yeah i'm just using the composite longbow stats but calling it a crossbow because i think they're cooler'. Like we can even pretend its a repeating crossbow if he wants (repeating crossbows also cooler than bows) to verisimilitude himself to sleep or whatever but yeah there is zero mechanical issues going on. They dont have any special situational mechanics where 'visually appears like a crossbow' has any impact on the game other than describing it. Its all an abstraction anyway, the reason crossbows have the penalty reload mechanics is because anyone can use them, since I have the feats needed to use a bow it already solves that crossbow issue. If designers were good and not awful they would just have a feat that removes reloading penalties from a crossbow and then they STILL would be inferior to bows without adding strength to damage (in Pathfinder) so yeah im going to just refluff them and move on.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 7, 2017

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
There are 77 new spells not in the latest UA.
Have some spells.

Ranger spell that seems awesome.

At least it passes the System Mastery seduction test.

Ohhkay

Yeah, a spell that messes with the party is a good use of an 8th level slot

vs the 3.5 version

LongDarkNight fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 7, 2017

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
blackfire might as well have "evil npc only" in the prereqs and even then it blows

5e tensor' transformation is even more useless than most versions of it because you can't practically put on armor in combat

this is bad splat filler garbage

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
i prefer my implementation of the core "tensor's transformation" concept that i created for my tokusatsu-inspired campaign

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

i prefer my implementation of the core "tensor's transformation" concept that i created for my tokusatsu-inspired campaign

Tensor's Toy Commercial

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

When you cast this spell, a disembodied voice says "Better... stronger... faster..." then the Six Million Dollar Man theme plays on a loop for the full 10 minutes it takes to don heavy armor in 5e.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Well I think you're all forgetting that any wizard who cares about this is already wearing full plate cause they took their first level in fighter anyway.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Do you make concentration checks if you take damage that gets absorbed by THP? The answer seems like it makes Transformation either really good or really sucky.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Caphi posted:

Do you make concentration checks if you take damage that gets absorbed by THP? The answer seems like it makes Transformation either really good or really sucky.

i mean, it wasn't gonna be really good either way

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I don't know if you guys already discussed this point, but I really don't like what they're going with for the Path of the Drunken Master subclass they showed in unearthed arcana.

IMO there are basically two ways they could have done a Drunken Master in DnD.

One of them is a kung fu expert who is merely imitating the movements of a drunkard. He's just putting on a performance to keep his opponents off-balance and unable to predict his attacks! This is what drunken masters in real life, on this planet earth do. That's what WotC went with, that's the basic premise the Drunken Master's abilities are based off of. It's all a mundane act.

But there's another way: as a monk, your ki in your body works different from other monks, and your true strength comes out when you drink! You know, like all the mythical heroes from the stories and legends that irl drunken masters base themselves off of! Actual drunks! The interpretation that is 10 times more suited to a fantasy world where magic and elves and ki really exist! Were they scared to give monks another resource pool to manage based off drinking or what? :mad:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Cease to Hope posted:

i mean, it wasn't gonna be really good either way

It no longer bans you from casting so one of those ways makes you immune to concentration checks. 6th level is real expensive and it depends on how fast those THP go away, but really.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Caphi posted:

It no longer bans you from casting

yes it does

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Wizards can't even cast spells while wearing armor, right? You won't be able to don that armor first then cast the spell. How wonderfully 5E.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Wizards can't even cast spells while wearing armor, right? You won't be able to don that armor first then cast the spell. How wonderfully 5E.

You can't cast while wearing armor you're not proficient in, but otherwise go whole hog. Going fighter at level 1 gets you constitution as a saving throw proficiency and allows you to wear heavy armor right off the bat, so it's a very common starting point.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I almost feel like the new Tenser's Transformation is specifically geared towards Eldritch Knights...Except they can't get any spells higher than fourth level without multiclassing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Successful Businessmanga posted:

You can't cast while wearing armor you're not proficient in, but otherwise go whole hog. Going fighter at level 1 gets you constitution as a saving throw proficiency and allows you to wear heavy armor right off the bat, so it's a very common starting point.

Taking a second level for action surge is also pretty common from what I've seen. Tanky as gently caress wizard that can blow his wad better than a sorcerer? Don't mind if I do!