Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

You read this, please tell me what it says

So either they don't know how "winning the presidency works" or they have lovely, biased polls

The model wasn't wrong though. It gave Trump a non-zero chance of winning and he won.

Model works. Spunky dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Yes the only reason people hate trump is because he is an "outsider"

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Again, that's not a poll. That's a forecast based on a bunch of things, which is why it is so hilariously wrong (98%) when national polls were, on average, +3 to Clinton.

Answer my question: can you acknowledge that Trump had less people vote for him than Killary Klinton?

Cthulu Carl posted:

The model wasn't wrong though. It gave Trump a non-zero chance of winning and he won.

Model works. Spunky dumb.
lol
Huffington Post-bot: You have less than a 2% chance!
Trump: Never tell me the odds!

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Everyone knows huffpo is loving trash anyway

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Knight posted:

Again, that's not a poll. That's a forecast based on a bunch of things, which is why it is so hilariously wrong (98%) when national polls were, on average, +3 to Clinton.

Answer my question: can you acknowledge that Trump had less people vote for him?
lol
Huffington Post-bot: You have less than a 2% chance!
Trump: Never tell me the odds!

If it helps you sleep at night, sure, Hillary won the popular vote

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Why do people think the popular vote matters in the first place?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol why didnt u dummys vote for the lizard person????

that maddow trump victory video is awesome

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

bring back old gbs posted:

lol why didnt u dummys vote for the lizard person????

that maddow trump victory video is awesome

I couldn't even watch thirty seconds she's annoying as gently caress

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blue Train posted:

I couldn't even watch thirty seconds she's annoying as gently caress

she looks like at least 5 of my grade school teachers, i think they come from a factory in canada

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Sentient Data posted:

Because its moving the goalposts back. Focusing on tactics that get you extra votes in California and New York is not a viable campaign strategy.

Their endgame is Hillary 2020, because they're hoping to run her on the "cheated out of the presidency angle" because their only other viable candidates are a bunch of old party ruling holdovers and candidates that are just non-viable on a national level - shitheads like Corey Booker and Elizabeth Warren would get melted in the first month of primaries.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

If it helps you sleep at night, sure, Hillary won the popular vote
Ok, then the polls were correct that more people would vote for Hillary than Trump, and since they were accurate should probably earn them a little trust when gauging public opinion. Say what you will about media outlets terrible models and wrong predictions, they deserve it. It seriously harmed their credibility when talking about what can/will happen in future events.

Sentient Data posted:

It's a big factor, how those votes are spread out can be more important. I don't like dismissing polling because it's generally used to attack any kind of measurement or observation of objective reality and reduces any attempt at argument to shouting.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Both candidates are bourgie scum and Hillary wouldn't have helped you either.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Knight posted:

Ok, then the polls were correct that more people would vote for Hillary than Trump, and since they were accurate should probably earn them a little trust when gauging public opinion. Say what you will about media outlets terrible models and wrong predictions, they deserve it. It seriously harmed their credibility when talking about what can/will happen in future events.
It's a big factor, how those votes are spread out can be more important. I don't like dismissing polling because it's generally used to attack any kind of measurement or observation of objective reality and reduces any attempt at argument to shouting.

http://time.com/4561625/electoral-college-predictions/

Can you stop quibbling already jesus this is a waste of energy

Time loving magazine no popular vote being mentioned here bud

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

COMRADES posted:

Both candidates are bourgie scum and Hillary wouldn't have helped you either.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

lovely Wizard posted:

Because its moving the goalposts back. Focusing on tactics that get you extra votes in California and New York is not a viable campaign strategy.

Their endgame is Hillary 2020, because they're hoping to run her on the "cheated out of the presidency angle" because their only other viable candidates are a bunch of old party ruling holdovers and candidates that are just non-viable on a national level - shitheads like Corey Booker and Elizabeth Warren would get melted in the first month of primaries.

I've seen multiple people suggest Chelsea should run smfh

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
I didn't even want to have to find and upload a picture of how wrong predictions were but Knight wouldn't shut the hell up about something he's so obviously wrong about

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Blue Train posted:

I've seen multiple people suggest Chelsea should run smfh

They'll only run her if Hillary is dead or immobilized due to health problems, even if she had to use a wheelchair and regularly undergo health exams they'd probably still try to run Hillary and get the news to compare her to FDR (at least FDR cared enough to try to hide it with crutches and strategic photo ops, they'd just plop Hillary in the chair and tell the 'journalists' to compare her to FDR).

Also people should remember that the news media had a vested interested in keeping democrats in power because of all the free access they were getting for meaningless fluff stories that tugged off the administration's collective dick while simultaneously generating tons of clicks, and when compared to doing actual journalism they'll prefer to just keep focusing on petty Trump attacks since that's the new easy gravy train.

Motherfucking Buzzfeed, a clickbait site, got regular access to the administration including Obama himself.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lovely Wizard posted:

Motherfucking Buzzfeed, a clickbait site, got regular access to the administration including Obama himself.

lol Alex Jones

Go back to /pol/ and hate on disabled people there.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

http://time.com/4561625/electoral-college-predictions/

Can you stop quibbling already jesus this is a waste of energy

Time loving magazine no popular vote being mentioned here bud

What is that supposed to show me? No popular vote is being mentioned, because those are "the projections of economic and political analysts". It's a prediction, not a poll. No matter how many times you quote a major media outlet saying "All of us Predict a Hillary Victory" and describe their bad model results won't change the fact that national polling had Hillary at +3 and were proven right when the final vote came in with 3M more votes than Trump.

Polling is real, and strong, and it's my friend.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

COMRADES posted:

lol Alex Jones

Go back to /pol/ and hate on disabled people there.

Trump shows up on any or will do any interview, that's one of the reasons he got a lot of coverage early on.

No publicity is bad publicity, even when you do interviews with the gay frogs and "GOBLINS" guy.

Go back to reddit and exchange jailbaits with your similars.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lovely Wizard posted:

Trump shows up on any or will do any interview, that's one of the reasons he got a lot of coverage early on.

No publicity is bad publicity, even when you do interviews with the gay frogs and "GOBLINS" guy.

He's literally giving preferential treatment to an internet crazy person while you're mad that the Dems gave access to clickbait websites.

They're basically the same thing but lol OBAMA right?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I don't care about Trump or Bannon or whatever. They either come through or they don't. I care about results. We're in a bad spot in this country and it's being hidden from you. We're coasting on a giant bubble. We need something to be there to fill the void once this thing goes POP, because barista jobs ain't gonna cut it

This is really interesting to me - I told people over and over that we were choosing a patsy for the next depression, so why choose the incompetent option just because it's different? I got back that people were under the impression that because Trump spoke like they felt, he would be able to solve the problem, and more of the same wouldn't fix things. But Trump even being able to run as a 0-experience wacko populist is a symptom of how much we paper over the suck in this culture. Do you really think anyone to the right of Huey Long is going to get up and tear off the lies and get results for the common man at this point, or that corpocongress would allow it without a purge? A Trump vote was like pissing into the wind to spite the clouds, now we're all a Russian hotel bed.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Knight posted:

What is that supposed to show me? No popular vote is being mentioned, because those are "the projections of economic and political analysts". It's a prediction, not a poll. No matter how many times you quote a major media outlet saying "All of us Predict a Hillary Victory" and describe their bad model results won't change the fact that national polling had Hillary at +3 and were proven right when the final vote came in with 3M more votes than Trump.

Polling is real, and strong, and it's my friend.

Lol, ok man. Polls are bullshit and people vote a bunch of times, they throw out data they don't want and fudge the numbers, and they phrase questions to get certain results. They have call lists of people they know that vote one way or another.

But you keep believing the mighty polls. It sounds like you're a real fan of poll

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

COMRADES posted:

He's literally giving preferential treatment to an internet crazy person while you're mad that the Dems gave access to clickbait websites.

They're basically the same thing but lol OBAMA right?

I'm not mad at the dems, I'm mad at the clickbait sites stupid. Well I'm mad at the dems too for a lot of reasons.

You're going to get Hillary vs Trump again for 2020, so pick your vote now.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Lol, ok man. Polls are bullshit and people vote a bunch of times, they throw out data they don't want and fudge the numbers, and they phrase questions to get certain results. They have call lists of people they know that vote one way or another.

But you keep believing the mighty polls. It sounds like you're a real fan of poll
Wow, that sounds really bad. Since polls are such bullshit how did they correctly predict that Hillary Clinton would get millions more votes than Trump? :smug:

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
You guys are morons for disagreeing with Spunky on this.

I dislike Trump but the media is a pile of lying trash that keeps us looking at dumb poo poo arguing so this country is always run horribly.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lovely Wizard posted:

I'm not mad at the dems, I'm mad at the clickbait sites stupid.

You're going to get Hillary vs Trump again for 2020, so pick your vote now.

I think the Dems are a bunch of morons but lol Hillary isn't running as the Dem candidate again no matter how hard it makes your dick to fantasize about it.

lovely Wizard posted:

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Runaktla posted:

I dislike Trump but the media is a pile of lying trash that keeps us looking at dumb poo poo arguing so this country is always run horribly.

Trump is also a dumb pile of lying trash. By choosing him as the exemplar of anti-media sentiment, America has given the media even more reason to behave that way.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Runaktla posted:

The healing cannot begin until people start admitting some obvious truths

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

COMRADES posted:

I think the Dems are a bunch of morons but lol Hillary isn't running as the Dem candidate again no matter how hard it makes your dick to fantasize about it.

She is 100% going to run again, Joe Biden is a piece of poo poo but they might be able to try to run him against her in 2020 but who knows for certain.

People can buy avatars for people here, I'm not paying $5 to replace an avatar.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I bet you Kamala Harris runs. Dunno if she'd win but she'd probably beat the others in the primary.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Runaktla posted:

The worst part of this is people just hate Trump so much they've decided to start liking the CIA, mainstream media, and status quo government.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
"Thank god Bannon's out of there, now we can get some no name entrenched government zombie career politician that has been voting yes to napalming browns for 15 years"

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Also like 50% of this thread isn't even American so I don't even know why they have an opinion

We really should have little national flags next to names so we know who to entirely ignore in American politics threads

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

lovely Wizard posted:

i will run for president and my policies will be everyone gets health care and all right wing nationalists will be rounded up and processed

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

We really should have little national flags next to names so we know who to entirely ignore in American politics threads

It's like, why are they telling me about the healthcare I pay for every month? Why are they telling me who is popular and who isn't? They have no idea what is happening here

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

COMRADES posted:

I bet you Kamala Harris runs. Dunno if she'd win but she'd probably beat the others in the primary.

If Hillary wants to be president the lane will be cleared for her so she can lose to trump again.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if anyone in the Trump administration or the Republican party is going to figure out that their/his sinking poll numbers is entirely about his slow transformation into a extra shabby regular Republican. Like if they could deliver 10% populism to 90% republican garbage, they could rule for a decade. Instead their going 100% Paul Ryan fiscal conservative corporate hand job nonsense. Guaranteeing they'll be out of power in 4 years after accomplishing nothing and probably provoking a backlash that puts them much worse then where they started.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

COMRADES posted:

All I knew is she got elected in November, but looking her up and she seems to be a standard 'presidential hopeful' liberal sort of candidate. Anti-death penalty and pro-illegal immigration guarantee a lot of republicans and conservative leaning independents will hate her though.

The democrats need someone who will be willing to throw everyone before them under the bus, Trump poo poo on Jeb for George W Bush letting 9/11 happen while Hillary refused to say anything against Obama when directly pressed on it by Trump during the debates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
anyone that runs that isn't right wing as hell will be hated by a lot of republicans and conservatives, esp a woman who isn't white.

i don't want candidates that right wingers like because they continually elect candidates who think supply side will work any day now if only we just give more money to the rich.

they can go gently caress themselves

• Locked thread