Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Zand posted:

lol this is sooo wrong

How? It isn't uncommon for me to meet someone in a tournament who is like "Hey, I played this game for like 5 hours and I saw it would be here, so I said 'gently caress it!' and signed up for it." Obviously the median of skill at a tournament will be much higher than say random matches online on average, but that doesn't prevent casual players from attending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

How? It isn't uncommon for me to meet someone in a tournament who is like "Hey, I played this game for like 5 hours and I saw it would be here, so I said 'gently caress it!' and signed up for it."

Played in the Guilty Gear tournament at the first PAX when I was like 15 and made it out of my pool with my scrubby Sol. I am a tournament player.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Trykt posted:

killer instinct more like killer fartstink am i rite

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
it's not just tournament nerves, but the whole format is difficult for many players. for players moving from playing long sets with friends, not in an arcade format, to trying to learn and outplay others in small sets, this can take a lot of adjustment. and the fact is that the pressure makes many players crack. ive seen inexperienced players literally shaking at events

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

But that's still tournament experience

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zand posted:

it's not just tournament nerves, but the whole format is difficult for many players. for players moving from playing long sets with friends, not in an arcade format, to trying to learn and outplay others in small sets, this can take a lot of adjustment. and the fact is that the pressure makes many players crack. ive seen inexperienced players literally shaking at events

You're not wrong, but I think the point was more that doing tournaments doesn't mean you're actually decent at a game. Tournament experience is important but it doesn't mean anything by itself when assessing someone else's level at a game, basically. By the way, one of the funny things about ranked play is that you kinda don't feel the switch as hard. Of course, you hang yourself by doing stupid poo poo that works online, but the "small set" pressure doesn't feel that harsh?

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Buddy, that's not just tournament experience. That's gaming experience.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

I'm terrible at tournaments and i've played hundreds of them

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

"Tournament experience" means nothing. Anyone can sign up at a tournament. I signed up for a KOF XIV tournament and my opponents kept commenting how good I was when I didn't even play the game. That doesn't mean that KOF XIV is a brainless game.

If your so confident, try and see if any goons would challenge you to a first to five.

EDIT - I also question if you are even telling the truth being that you claim KI is full of infinite combos, when it doesn't really have many (if any) infinite combos, especially sans ultras.

I wasn't even trying to insinuate anything, just that the combo system is easy to learn. Jesus you people are impossibly loving bitter and joyless

Boxman posted:

I did a search on YouTube for this and found a two hour video hosted by a guy wearing a jean jacket, jean shorts, and fingerless gloves.

I don't care if this isn't the one you said was excellent, it's the one I'm watching.

Edit: wait I think this is a two hour retrospective of just Bloody Roar 4. Holy poo poo.

That's the one, all of his videos are long as gently caress but go to extreme lengths to cover virtually everything. Bloody Roar 4 is ridiculous.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I don't think I ever played anything passed the second one. How bad did they get?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Meridian posted:

I don't think I ever played anything passed the second one. How bad did they get?

they stopped caring whether or not people turned into animals in the later games and just said they were hybrids of swords and spikes or whatever. the art style and voice actors changed in like every game after 2 and sometimes it differed depending on Japanese/English versions. Like one version of a game had anime cutscenes and another had horrid CGI, it made no sense.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Spuckuk posted:

Even if you aren't a fan of KI, you have to admit it actually exists, a point in its favour.

Gigamaidens on the other hand, doesn't exist, which is a point in its favour.

I don't know what you're talking about.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Dias posted:

You're not wrong, but I think the point was more that doing tournaments doesn't mean you're actually decent at a game. Tournament experience is important but it doesn't mean anything by itself when assessing someone else's level at a game, basically. By the way, one of the funny things about ranked play is that you kinda don't feel the switch as hard. Of course, you hang yourself by doing stupid poo poo that works online, but the "small set" pressure doesn't feel that harsh?

yeah you're right. but a person going to tournaments or even just considering themselves a competitor is a good indicator that they have the taste of blood/heart of a warrior. mindset means so much

I don't think ranked play helps acclimate to the tournament experience outside of training mindfulness within a single game.. but ranked single games teach most players to gimmick hard and go aggro rather than play well

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
SF5 having ranked runback is probably one of the only good decisions in that game bc it's a step closer to how tournaments go. I'd still never play ranked but w/e.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Skullgirls has ranked runback but everyone who isn't brand new and clueless does best of five and then quits, so in the end you end up still having to add people and bug them for long sets anyways.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
Ranked guilty gear taught me to nap since no one plays it ranked beyond the 1st day but sfv ranked also taught me to nap because theres a billion people pkaying but it takes an hour to find a match

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Just go in Goonsgarden and find player matches, you might even learn a thing or two!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

mysterious loyall X posted:

Ranked guilty gear taught me to nap since no one plays it ranked beyond the 1st day but sfv ranked also taught me to nap because theres a billion people pkaying but it takes an hour to find a match

another hour to load the match, another hour to play the match, and then one last hour loading back to the main menu (2 if you're going back to training mode)

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Brosnan posted:

Just go in Goonsgarden and find player matches, you might even learn a thing or two!

Yeah there's a good number of GG players in the discord server, pretty wide skill range. I bought Rev when it came out but am just now coming back to it, trying to learn some Sol poo poo now.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

mysterious loyall X posted:

Nobody plays ranked in guilty gear, player and lobbies are far superior

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

dhamster posted:

Nobody plays ranked in guilty gear, player and lobbies are far superior

i kno but sometimes i wish i could get that copper trophy for winning my first ranked match :sigh:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Meridian posted:

3/Primal Fury/Extreme is the best one, 4 sucks.

Bloody Roar got PC ports in Korea and for that reason it's oddly popular in mainland Asia, I remember stumbling upon a big cache of Vietnamese BR2 tournament footage once upon a time.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Valhalla Game Studios (ex-Team Ninja people) are making a 4v4 Naruto fighting game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYqP-Hhj5V0

wtf is a Boruto?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Valhalla Game Studios (ex-Team Ninja people) are making a 4v4 Naruto fighting game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYqP-Hhj5V0

wtf is a Boruto?

is it like his kid or something

or like bizzaro naruto

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Yeah Boruto is Naruto's son.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

naruto raw dogged the girl with the cataracts and then gave his first born child a really dumb name

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
my son's name is also bort

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
After Devil's Third, I'm not sure why anyone is excited.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Cool a 4v4 fighting game so I can blame my teammates for my losses doesn't have anything to do with my dropped combos.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

MinibarMatchman posted:

I wasn't even trying to insinuate anything, just that the combo system is easy to learn. Jesus you people are impossibly loving bitter and joyless

The word you're looking for here is pedantic and it's taken a long loving time for most of us to get this way so deal.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Meridian posted:

Primal Fury had a cool elephant dude that stomped on people constantly aka the greatest thing ever.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

punk rebel ecks posted:

After Devil's Third, I'm not sure why anyone is excited.

I dunno, Devil's Third was fun and could've gone somewhere. Also it was the first game in years that I felt Itagaki was being genuine, but I guess he's stuck making fighting games again.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

So I'm gonna give KI a try, I miss FGs and I don't have anyone nearby who plays something that isn't SFV, and a game with competent online features sounds nice. I don't want to spend much money on the game so I figure buying one character and sticking with them for a while is the way to go. I was gonna buy Omen cause he looks cool, but I guess I can't buy him on his own, which is dumb, so now I need a new squeeze. Is there anyone in KI who is particularly fun to play or should I just find any old character that I like?

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Dracula Factory posted:

So I'm gonna give KI a try, I miss FGs and I don't have anyone nearby who plays something that isn't SFV, and a game with competent online features sounds nice. I don't want to spend much money on the game so I figure buying one character and sticking with them for a while is the way to go. I was gonna buy Omen cause he looks cool, but I guess I can't buy him on his own, which is dumb, so now I need a new squeeze. Is there anyone in KI who is particularly fun to play or should I just find any old character that I like?

You can get Jago for free so you could play him till you find a character you like. All the characters unlock in training mode so you can play with them there.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Keegers posted:

You can get Jago for free so you could play him till you find a character you like. All the characters unlock in training mode so you can play with them there.
the characters dont unlock in trainer mode

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Zand posted:

the characters dont unlock in trainer mode

I thought they were usable in training mode so you could pick which one you wanted to buy?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Medullah posted:

I thought they were usable in training mode so you could pick which one you wanted to buy?

you can pick what character you want to buy in the microsoft store after viewing them as your opponent

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I miss the good old days, where you could unlock characters in the Marvel 2 "store" by earning points from playing the game :(

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i miss the good old days where gameplay unlocks didn't exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i miss the good old days where gameplay unlocks didn't exist

Mortal Kombat 3 ruined everyting