Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

melon cat posted:

How can I achieve this text reveal effect in After Effects? It's just a smokey reveal of a logo. I'm guessing that Trapcode Particular might be involved?

You can either use trapcode form (it's particular on steroids for some stuff) or maybe Particular's layer emitter thing and you should be good to go.

Also check out videocopilot.net - he has a tutorial on text to smoke. It's quite old by now, probably in between tutorial numbers 40-100. All I remember is that the thumbnail is green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
These two appear to have the basics in setting up that effect.
http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/green_smoke/
http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/energy_wipe/

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Does anyone here use Motion? How does it compare to After Effects?

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.

WebDog posted:

I understand it's been a feature request for a long time but has yet to get implemented for reasons.

Because Avid is really banking software from the 80's? Yet somehow is still the best editor out there?

keyframe posted:

Does anyone here use Motion? How does it compare to After Effects?

I used motion ages ago. We used to use it for end crawls (around 2005-6?), as it was one of the better tools, as you could actually render one out in less that 4 hours. Still it had it's issues (Subpixel mapping, etc...), but I loved the ease of animating keyframes in it. (Then the person I was working with at the time founded endcrawl, and solved the endcrawl problem). Again It's neat, don't know how much it's changed, but It seemed to be at the mercy of CPU/GPU as well...

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Armagnac posted:

Because Avid is really banking software from the 80's? Yet somehow is still the best editor out there?
Oh I'm not dismissing it. AVID is still head and tail above many things other NLE's are offering and it's the best for working across multiple edit stations.
Once you learn how you're meant to use it it's fine, else you sit there comparing the thing to Premiere or FCP 7 and tying your brain in knots as you try to extrapolate their methods with AVID's.

The subclip thing came up when I was speaking to older editors who straight out asked me "why do you make subclips?" In their case they'd never really done that, having mostly cut drama so you'd simply in/out takes and go from there. Locaters are the way to mark sections.

If it was something like documentary then it was usually ingested from tape into clips and edited from there.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

the_lion posted:

You can either use trapcode form (it's particular on steroids for some stuff) or maybe Particular's layer emitter thing and you should be good to go.

Also check out videocopilot.net - he has a tutorial on text to smoke. It's quite old by now, probably in between tutorial numbers 40-100. All I remember is that the thumbnail is green.
Thanks a lot for this info, guys. These should do the trick! :)

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I edited this schlock together the other day for practice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh7kBwpTU40

I enjoyed making it quite a bit but I think the one I did at Christmas was better. Less time consuming too; that one took only two days to make, versus a few weeks for MANGAIN. It's far more seasonally oriented though SO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNPs-mHtYNk

I really need to learn how to do graphics and motion things in After Effects, I've had the program for two or three years now but am afraid to dip into it. I really don't know where to get started. Any pointers on what the best 'first thing' is to make in it?

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 4, 2017

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Top dog nomination has closed and top dog subforum voting has started!

Go there and vote, then go out and vote up all the other dogs in the other forums, but make sure to only vote for the bad ones (tactical dog voting)

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

The Golden Gael posted:

I really need to learn how to do graphics and motion things in After Effects, I've had the program for two or three years now but am afraid to dip into it. I really don't know where to get started. Any pointers on what the best 'first thing' is to make in it?

Nick Campbell's AE tutorials from, like, 7 years ago, are what got me started. He has a conversational style and you get to watch him make mistakes and figure stuff out. Also, don't worry about what the 'best first thing' to make is, since that's a good way to paralyze yourself and never make anything at all.

I remember this one being good. He might go a little fast at the start, so just keep pausing the video and following along and you'll be making some cool stuff pretty quickly:
https://vimeo.com/9383806

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Thanks! I'm definitely in that paralysis mode. But this guy will be useful to break me out of this rut it seems.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
As mentioned above, good tutorials are the best. There's so much after effects can do that there's no real "first thing" to learn apart from getting a handle on how key frames work, but that'll make sense once you start. Just pick something you'd like to achieve and look up how other folks have done it (there's often multiple paths to the same result). If that turns out to be too advanced, pick something else. Youtube is still the first place I hit when I run into something new, someone else is guaranteed to have demonstrated something similar.

e: actually, maybe stay away from anything involving the rotobrush for a little while. That thing could put a beginner off for life! One of the first things I was ever asked to do was to extract an animal from non keyed (no greenscreen) footage and comp it into something else. loving madness, why did I say yes?!

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 7, 2017

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
Using a GoPro Hero3, does using Medium FOV reduce the sharpness compared to Wide?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Non-technical question: I've started up a new Youtube series around travel to various UNESCO world heritage sites, and I'm trying to figure out what style works best. Wondering what goons think?

I've done some as a Ken Burns style narration over moving slideshow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrnl7GSyHXQ

And another as a BBC style direct-to-camera travelogue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03uUrC1iBNY

Would love to heard some goon opinions on which style works best. Either way I know I need better audio gear, particularly for the direct-to-camera pieces!

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

webmeister posted:

Non-technical question: I've started up a new Youtube series around travel to various UNESCO world heritage sites, and I'm trying to figure out what style works best. Wondering what goons think?

I've done some as a Ken Burns style narration over moving slideshow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrnl7GSyHXQ

And another as a BBC style direct-to-camera travelogue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03uUrC1iBNY

Would love to heard some goon opinions on which style works best. Either way I know I need better audio gear, particularly for the direct-to-camera pieces!

I think that's a great channel concept. Personally, I think the BBC-style direct-to-camera travelogue is better. There's something about Ken Burns slideshows in general that feel so dated. I think Ken Burns works when used in moderation, but when an entire video's composed of it, it grows stale very quickly and feels like I'm reading a brochure.

My only piece of advice: I'd avoid the selfie-camera holding position. Because unless your arm is 10 feet long, your face is going to obscure nearly half of what's showing on the screen. I know that it'd be 1000x more work (and how much easier the "selfie" pose is), but I think your videos would be so much better if you set them up on a tripod, got some distance between yourself and the camera, then narrated. Just like you did here. I think this shot was great. Because this way, we see a bit of you, but we're not missing out on the amazing sights that you're treating us to!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
BBC shows usually use a mix of both styles!

Do some testing :)

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
I just got Premiere CC from work, but it came on a flash drive, and installed without needing to log in to any Adobe account. The updater will not update it past the 2015.3-version. I cannot find any reference online to being able to buy the application like this. They say it's a group licence that can be used on a bunch of computers.

Anyone know what this is? Is it pirated or something? If not, why won't it update to the 2017 version?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Yeeeeah that's very likely pirated or has the copy protection neutered.
A group licence requires a login via Creative Cloud.

Premiere needs creative cloud to update. And this got tightened in CC17 with the removal of the old application update system. Everything runs through CC now.

Updates of a major release are seperate applications as well so 2015.3 can't be updated to CC17 as that is a whole new program.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Dammit, really? I'm gonna have to ask them about this. I think the guy in charge thinks it's legit.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Any idea how to achieve this background's look in After Effects (or at least what it's called)? I'm referring to that low-polygon "glass" style background on the Overwatch HUD screen.

Greenplastic posted:

Dammit, really? I'm gonna have to ask them about this. I think the guy in charge thinks it's legit.
Yeah, I'd definitely mention it.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 5, 2024

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

melon cat posted:

I think that's a great channel concept. Personally, I think the BBC-style direct-to-camera travelogue is better. There's something about Ken Burns slideshows in general that feel so dated. I think Ken Burns works when used in moderation, but when an entire video's composed of it, it grows stale very quickly and feels like I'm reading a brochure.

My only piece of advice: I'd avoid the selfie-camera holding position. Because unless your arm is 10 feet long, your face is going to obscure nearly half of what's showing on the screen. I know that it'd be 1000x more work (and how much easier the "selfie" pose is), but I think your videos would be so much better if you set them up on a tripod, got some distance between yourself and the camera, then narrated. Just like you did here. I think this shot was great. Because this way, we see a bit of you, but we're not missing out on the amazing sights that you're treating us to!

thehustler posted:

BBC shows usually use a mix of both styles!

Do some testing :)

Thanks both! I'm going to stick with direct-to-camera for the most part, though I'll probably do some narrated slideshows for sites that I've visited in the past but don't have footage of.

I actually bought a selfie stick to use for filming, and literally the first shot I did with it my phone popped out and fell onto tiles, cracking the glass over the camera lens! But I'm probably the luckiest person in the world, because the only negative effect seems to be some off white balance when the zoom lens is facing into the sun (the 1x lens isn't affected). My human tripod (wife) did that shot you mentioned melon cat, and she's actually pretty good as a DP! But she's already a travel Instagrammer so doesn't have a lot of patience for me stuffing around with videos sadly.

Onwards and upwards though, I've visited a few more sites already this week and am feeling way more comfortable speaking to camera.

todieat20
Sep 25, 2003
Hobos Protect Children From Horses
Looking for some advice on a new monitor and wanted to see what others are using. I'm looking currently using a Dell UltraSharp U2711 but would like to upgrade. I'm interested in either going with a 4K display or 21:9.

Any advantages of one over the other?
Also does anyone recommend one brand over another (LG, Dell, BenQ, HP Dreamcolor)?

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Anyone have any recommendations for a Mac compatible encoding software to replace Telestream Episode Pro? Nothing cloud based.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
What's a good intermediate codec for SD video where the integrity of the grain is critical? Ideally one that'll eat up less space than DV does.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Prores or DNxHD.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

1. i'm using windows and 2. does DNxHD work at 480i? somehow I thought it only supported HD

e: DNxHD does not support SD video or interlaced video.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 10, 2017

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
What are you cutting in? Also is this for delivery?

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

WebDog posted:

Oh I'm not dismissing it. AVID is still head and tail above many things other NLE's are offering and it's the best for working across multiple edit stations.
Once you learn how you're meant to use it it's fine, else you sit there comparing the thing to Premiere or FCP 7 and tying your brain in knots as you try to extrapolate their methods with AVID's.

Dumb question, I know, but has Avid changed that much in, say, a decade or so? People are kinda not digging me doing edits in Resolve now that I've much-too-late ditched FCP7.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Last weekend I was asked to fine cut a little documentary that had been started in Final Cut Pro X. How bad could it be? I may as well leave it in X so I can give it back and they can make any last adjustments, right?

What the gently caress happened after 7?!

It has the option to create proxy media but you can't mix original and proxy footage in a project - non proxy media will simply appear offline in proxy mode. Ok that's dumb but sure, proxy the lot... Nope. It will determine that your machine (in this case they had a late 2012 imac) doesn't need proxies for some things and won't allow you to override this. What the gently caress is that nonsense?

Cue much yelling at a hundred other similar annoyances over the 2 days.

I'd heard stories but you really need to experience it for yourself. I'll never complain about AVID again.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Lizard Combatant posted:

What are you cutting in? Also is this for delivery?

Premiere Pro, and it's for video art, nothing professional. Source is an old Digital8 camcorder.

Looking around Premiere, it seems making a low-rate h.264 proxy might cure my seeking woes.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Have you downloaded the Avid codecs?
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/download/en423319

It might give a few more options.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Any of you fellas or ladies worrying about the seemingly-inevitable strike? I wasn't hurt too badly by the last one, but I was just getting started and working in commercials. Now I'm staring down the barrel of a work-stoppage that would complicate things.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Power Walrus posted:

Any of you fellas or ladies worrying about the seemingly-inevitable strike? I wasn't hurt too badly by the last one, but I was just getting started and working in commercials. Now I'm staring down the barrel of a work-stoppage that would complicate things.

Over here we're waiting to see if MITHC Season 3 gets delayed; we have a handful of other projects we can work on, but MITHC is our main deal so the severely reduced income would suck.

Honestly though, to me this just reinforces that the VFX industry is a drat mess because there's no union - while many of the other related industries (like the writers) can strike for better treatment, it feels like my fellow VFX artists would rather brag about unpaid overtime and no benefits than even consider forming a union.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm sorry to hear that. It's terrible to hear people wearing labor abuses like badges of honor. VFX, race to the bottom, etc.

Without doxxing yourself, what sort of work do y'all do on MITHC? I'm really enjoying the show, and the VFX work that I notice (like the matte paintings and set expansions) are really really cool.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Power Walrus posted:

I'm sorry to hear that. It's terrible to hear people wearing labor abuses like badges of honor. VFX, race to the bottom, etc.

Without doxxing yourself, what sort of work do y'all do on MITHC? I'm really enjoying the show, and the VFX work that I notice (like the matte paintings and set expansions) are really really cool.

I've doxxed myself to hell and back already, so I'm not too worried!

I work for Theory Studios, and we did most of the large CGI and set extension scenes in Season 2. Volkshalle, Germania, Tempelhof airport, the exterior through Kido's office window, and a few other bits and pieces. Barnstorm, the lead VFX vendor, did all the matte painting and compositing, and many of the set extension bits. They've got some really talented artists, so it's been a blast collaborating with them.

My official title is lead shading artist, but I ended up doing most every skill, ranging from prop, set and character modeling to lighting, scene optimization, and rendering. Lots of shots have my work (episodes 1,2,4,8,9,10), and for being my first industry gig it was pretty awesome! Wasn't expecting to end up as a lead going in, since CG was a hobby up until Theory hired me for s2, so being responsible for both a ton of work and other artists was a neat experience.

Glad you like the show, and hopefully neither of us will get wrecked too bad by the impending strike...

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Anyone given the Resolve 14 beta a shot yet?

Rusty Bodega
Feb 12, 2012

Colowful Wizuds

Lizard Combatant posted:

It's pretty good now compared to 12.5 (which was awful for editing.) For projects that require a lot of touching up color-wise, it's a solid piece of software now for all-in-one. Compare that to before where I would edit a rough in Premiere, export my XML's, color, then re-export back into Premiere.

I haven't gotten into the audio mixing portion of it but my co-worker is currently in the process of testing it out while I go through the editing aspects. I'll post back in here later on in the week when I work on a few lesser projects in it.

So far, it's much better than before, and I'm definitely going to start using it for certain projects if the release out of beta is anything like its current state.

Rusty Bodega fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 26, 2017

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Cool. I've got a real short promo to do that I was gonna use as a tester, the demo looked really promising but I was going to wait to hear if there were stability issues before jumping in. Actually really looking forward to seeing what it can do.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

So I've been doing a bunch more videos about World Heritage sites (mentioned earlier up the page). I feel like I'm getting in a fairly good groove with them, and I've got a much better idea of what I need to do and say while on location. But I'm just wondering if anyone else has advice or recommendations? This is a recent video I did which I was pretty happy with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT0QngLe5R0

Would love to hear any feedback, positive or negative!

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.

Lizard Combatant posted:

I might kick the tires next week with a commercial job. But seems like more of a Beta than usual from other forums...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

I installed the beta yesterday, and was greeted with all of my audio mixing on an existing project messed up; the volume and panning I meticulously automated by hand is all gone. I haven't figured out how to fix it without redoing everything, since they seem to have changed how doing pans and fades works.

That was enough to put a damper on my fun, I don't have the time to redo it right now. I'll be testing it more when I have some fresh projects to edit, but for now it seems like it's not worth using if you want to try it with existing projects.