Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.
poo poo pissing me off: Security team yanked my team's local administrative privileges on workstations with no notice. Not like I support database clients or have to update tnsnames files frequently or anything. Enjoy all the tickets you just caught shitlords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005
We use an ancient version of Peachtree Account (2007 I think) for basic accounting on a handful of small subsidiary LLCs. Been having some issues with it and the accountant is finally ready to give upgrading a try.

Sage has replaced Peachtree with "Sage 50". So I decided to check our their support website, just to see what, if any, are the common issues with the software. The very first and most popular KB article is how to disable UAC :bang:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Raerlynn posted:

poo poo pissing me off: Security team yanked my team's local administrative privileges on workstations with no notice. Not like I support database clients or have to update tnsnames files frequently or anything. Enjoy all the tickets you just caught shitlords.

Even if removing your access was justified, doing so with no communication should be grounds for reprimands. They will cite "process" or "policy" when they come back on why they did it without seeing the irony.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sickening posted:

Even if removing your access was justified, doing so with no communication should be grounds for reprimands. They will cite "process" or "policy" when they come back on why they did it without seeing the irony.

Should be. Since this is the sixth or seventh infrastructure change this year that wasn't communicated, I'm not holding my breath.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah you'll never win the debate because they got the "it's INSECURE!!" moral high ground. So it gets marked down as another chapter in the documentary of how working IT slowly destroyed your will to live.

Best case they get mad about the sudden flood of tickets and propose an "exemption" to allow you the access you used to have. To be reviewed annually of course. :v:

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Yeah you'll never win the debate because they got the "it's INSECURE!!" moral high ground. So it gets marked down as another chapter in the documentary of how working IT slowly destroyed your will to live.

Best case they get mad about the sudden flood of tickets and propose an "exemption" to allow you the access you used to have. To be reviewed annually of course. :v:

My solution is less subtle. I'm forwarding every ticket that requires those rights to the team in question. I suspect after getting yelled at for a day or two they'll relent.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Raerlynn posted:

Should be. Since this is the sixth or seventh infrastructure change this year that wasn't communicated, I'm not holding my breath.

Good change management is also good security, but nobody told the guys doing this kind of poo poo at my shop either

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hosted Exchange 2013 with Rackspace

We have meeting rooms setup as 'resources', eventually you get enough meeting requests and such where the paltry 100mb limit is hit.

Then, you can't book roooms because the resource is full.

Rackspace says "Log into the resource using OWA, and manually delete the calendar items"

fuuuck

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

We have meeting rooms setup as 'resources', eventually you get enough meeting requests and such where the paltry 100mb limit is hit.

Rackspace says "Log into the resource using OWA, and manually delete the calendar items"

fuuuck

What were you expecting exactly?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sickening posted:

What were you expecting exactly?

Easier way to clear the resource out or an increase on the storage limit

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
As someone who worked for a place reselling/supporting hosted Exchange, is it ever not a nightmare

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

That is more of a microsoft issue and not a rackspace one. I don't thinking increasing the limit is a long term solution.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Sickening posted:

That is more of a microsoft issue and not a rackspace one. I don't thinking increasing the limit is a long term solution.

No, but it'd let you log back on.

Edit: whoa, totally misread the issue. I'm dumb, carry on.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Sickening posted:

Considering the limit at Microsoft is 50GB, I'm pretty sure this is a Rackspace issue.

e: If you managed to fill up your Resource Mailbox with 50GB of meetings, jesus christ

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Is setting up a retention policy an option? I think that would let you clear out old items automatically, although only by age.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

nielsm posted:

Is setting up a retention policy an option? I think that would let you clear out old items automatically, although only by age.

Online chat guy refused to really help other than "Log in and delete stuff", said we had to call in for further assistance. Calling now and will ask.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Jeoh posted:

Considering the limit at Microsoft is 50GB, I'm pretty sure this is a Rackspace issue.

e: If you managed to fill up your Resource Mailbox with 50GB of meetings, jesus christ

Its exchange, and with rackspace you have as much space as you pay for.

Bob Morales posted:

Online chat guy refused to really help other than "Log in and delete stuff", said we had to call in for further assistance. Calling now and will ask.

Dealing with level 1 at rackspace is like dealing with any other.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Set a retention policy on the mailbox and clear out anything older than 12 months or whatever.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Move from hosted with Rackspace to Office365. Get new and exciting (well different) issues.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Varkk posted:

Move from hosted with Rackspace to Office365. Get new and exciting (well different) issues.

Gonna do this pretty soon. And save $2/month!

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Your sanity has been given a price and its less than that of a bacon cheeseburger

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bob Morales posted:

Gonna do this pretty soon. And save $2/month!
Per-user.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

I think my issue is that install.wim on the Server 2012 R2 VL media is bigger than the FAT32 filesize limit. I've done it now slowly through iDRAC virtual media.

Yup, that is a fun one to deal with. If you're lucky your EFI supports some other filesystem, apparently some support exFAT and/or NTFS. If not you have to split the install.wim using dism /split-image or install from a DVD/virtual DVD. I've usually gone with the latter approach as well, it's easier and I don't deploy Windows servers often so the time difference is relatively meaningless.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 6, 2017

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

fuuuck
I don't know if you can do this on Rackspace's hosted exchange or on resources (rather than mailboxes), but I have definitely run a powershell script to delete items from a particular mailbox in a particular date range:

Search-mailbox -identity "Mailbox name" -Searchquery "received:< 04/30/2016"' -deletecontent

Make sure you're running it from the Exchange Management Shell. I don't know if you could set up a good variable to do them all at once, but subbing in the names one by one is still going to be faster than logging into each box on OWA to do it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Guy said we can't - we had a few year worth of meeting room reservations in there

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I told my current boss that I wanted to do the job I was brought in for(aws architecture and solutions) and stop being Jenkins guy full time because the last one quit right before I got tired and I said I'd help out. We also had multiple people complain about staffing numbers and no junior members to train and balance workload with. I basically got the most Lumberg of responses. We have a meeting Friday to talk about all our team members learning everything else's jobs to help out. I think the point has been missed. Having people at 100% capacity cross train into other jobs doesn't fix anything? Me knowing Kafka/zookeeper, disaster recovery and testing, account management, aws deployments, Jenkins / release engineering doesn't help any of this.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Virigoth posted:

We have a meeting Friday to talk about all our team members learning everything else's jobs to help out.

Get that resume ready, your job isn't going to get any better and it looks like management is doubling down on doubling down.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Virigoth posted:

I told my current boss that I wanted to do the job I was brought in for(aws architecture and solutions) and stop being Jenkins guy full time because the last one quit right before I got tired and I said I'd help out. We also had multiple people complain about staffing numbers and no junior members to train and balance workload with. I basically got the most Lumberg of responses. We have a meeting Friday to talk about all our team members learning everything else's jobs to help out. I think the point has been missed. Having people at 100% capacity cross train into other jobs doesn't fix anything? Me knowing Kafka/zookeeper, disaster recovery and testing, account management, aws deployments, Jenkins / release engineering doesn't help any of this.
Sounds like someone's got a case of the Mondays!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Techs flat out lying to me and feigning ignorance when caught.

:downs: : the backup failed because the c: drive was full, must have happened immediately before the backup because we didn't even get an alert on it yet
:colbert: : we received backup failure alerts every day since Thursday last week with the same error
:downs: : weird I'll look into that

I've had to rewrite the orgs backup policy because of these guys, sent it to them for review last week, and they're still loving it up.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you not ditch that lovely MSP?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Right now we have zero, none, zilich for configuration management for our servers. Our software licensing would let us setup SCCM at no cost to us. I've brought up two or three times and get shot down with "is SCCM the best solution for our environment?". In the meantime we still continue on with no configuration management....

Is Ansible any good at doing configuration management for Windows servers in TYOL 2017?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Thanatosian posted:

Sounds like someone's got a case of the Mondays!

I laughed and then immediately got bitter again.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Virigoth posted:

I laughed and then immediately got bitter again.

plausible thread title, there.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Thanks Ants posted:

Can you not ditch that lovely MSP?

2 months into the 6 month process of replacing

~*@*~ government ~*@*~

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

2 months into the 6 month process of replacing

~*@*~ government ~*@*~

I'm about 99% certain I, alone, with about 3 months of real experience! could be a better MSP than them. Try not to drink TOO much.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Thanks Ants posted:

I think my issue is that install.wim on the Server 2012 R2 VL media is bigger than the FAT32 filesize limit. I've done it now slowly through iDRAC virtual media.

Just make the USB using Rufus and select the UEFI:NTFS option.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Just make the USB using Rufus and select the UEFI:NTFS option.

Most uefi bios don't support ntfs. I know that Rufus tries to do some partitioning and have it boot fat32, then have the ntfs partition accessible, but I still had a ton of problems with it when I had to deal with it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Fool posted:

Most uefi bios don't support ntfs. I know that Rufus tries to do some partitioning and have it boot fat32, then have the ntfs partition accessible, but I still had a ton of problems with it when I had to deal with it.

I am pretty sure at worst you need to update some firmware. I am constantly using boot disks larger than what fat32 can handle with uefi bios's.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

I am pretty sure at worst you need to update some firmware. I am constantly using boot disks larger than what fat32 can handle with uefi bios's.

From what I gathered in the 3 months I had to deal with it before I finished setting up mdt, only booting fat32 in uefi is a common issue on hp and dell laptops, and on surface pro's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Rufus has a EFI driver that attempts to add support for NTFS to any EFI, but it is not secure boot compatible so it won't work on systems with that enabled.

In theory you could sign it yourself and load it from the Secure Boot shim if you wanted to go down that path, but for purposes of installing Windows I'd just temporarily disable Secure Boot and then re-enable it on the first reboot when I didn't need to boot from the USB stick anymore.

edit: Ok this is cool, the author of Rufus has apparently converted GRUB's filesystem drivers to EFI so it's not just NTFS, it's basically any filesystem that matters and a lot that don't. http://efi.akeo.ie/

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 6, 2017