Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

boy are my arms tired posted:

goku would win tho

Not according to Super Battle or whatever that dumb show is called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shindragon posted:

The funny thing is and maybe I"m in the minority because I don't know the general consesus but I feel SA's Game threads are the least console warrior poo poo in random game forums I been too.

Like here? The Nintendo goons are pretty chill. Nintendo gaf? Annoying rear end smug pricks. Seriously the NPD thread was the worst because holy poo poo was it just cheerleading.

I joined SA for the LPs, and then I ventured into Games and stayed there. I end up getting some good goon steam friends along the way.

this. Goons are pretty chill and funny/clever for the most part, espcialy the games area. I joined for GBS/games and politics and partly because of the various great star wars threads. plus this place doesnt is nice mix of hosed up jokes and being relatively safe. gaf just sucks because its just a weird echochamber now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Not according to Super Battle or whatever that dumb show is called.

I believe you will find that episode was made before Dragonball Super (tm) and thus did not take into account Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Goku x10 Kaikoken and thus is no longer canonical.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My first experience with sa was in the early oughts, maybe 01 or 02, when I was a mere teenager in a MIRC channel and a dude in there who was from SA linked to goatse. That was my first "OH MY WHAT IS THAT MAN DOING TO HIS ANUS" moment, and then someone said "loving GOONS" and then a friend at school started referencing stuff from sa and I just kinda made my way here eventually. Then I made a shitpost and got my regdate changed for it and here I am now :v:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Captain Invictus posted:

My first experience with sa was in the early oughts, maybe 01 or 02, when I was a mere teenager in a MIRC channel and a dude in there who was from SA linked to goatse. That was my first "OH MY WHAT IS THAT MAN DOING TO HIS ANUS" moment, and then someone said "loving GOONS" and then a friend at school started referencing stuff from sa and I just kinda made my way here eventually. Then I made a shitpost and got my regdate changed for it and here I am now :v:

:regd05:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I began posting on SA because it has (and I still feel it has) one of the most reasonable forums to discuss games on the internet. It has its moments of descending into poo poo but compared other forums which either are 100% poo poo all the time or so extremely niche they'll only discuss a handful of subjects it hit and continues to hit the right mix of actual discussion without being awful more often than not.

I might feel differently if I wanted to talk about the X-Box One these days!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I posted on an internet forum, once.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Over a decade later and I still feel silly for paying $10 to read an internet forum

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

The Kins posted:

Too bad that wasn't the only time.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I miss mIRC, and I'm so glad that discord is a thing now, even though I barely use it, because it reminds me of IRC.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Too bad that wasn't the only time.
If this was NeoGAF, I'd be legally obligated to reply with a 10mb reaction GIF.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yep

The Kins posted:

It was terrible

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Snak posted:

I miss mIRC, and I'm so glad that discord is a thing now, even though I barely use it, because it reminds me of IRC.

IRC is still around

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Honestly, the $10 price tag of posting on SA keeps a lot of the hoards of internet idiocy at bay. Like, sure, there are plenty of idiots who make dumb posts here (I am one of them), but when someone's being really lovely, they get banned and they are out 10 bucks, and only the very rich shitposters continue to repeatedly poo poo up the more moderated communities. Compared to lots of forums where it's just nonstop garbage.

edit: ^ yeah, but it's not cool anymore. Discord is cool now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And then you have the hypercrazies like Dare who just never stop (and iirc chargeback their registration fee every time)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That said it would be nice if some megathreads like the WiiU/Switch and P5 (allegedly at least with the TL stuff) could not descend into madness all the time.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but it's still a tiny minority compared to what would be happening if it were just wide open and free.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

That said it would be nice if some megathreads like ... P5 (allegedly at least with the TL stuff) could not descend into madness all the time.
It can't be helped.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Looper posted:

link can be a girl

I'll go one better: Link should be a girl

because Linkle is really cool

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Link should be a girl, Zelda should be a dude, and the next zelda game should be set in a FF7 Midgar-esque cyberpunk(?) dystopia with link riding an Epona-brand motorcycle

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Linkle is basically Link as much as any other Link is.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Link should be a klurf.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

link is a girl and so is linkle

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

codenameFANGIO posted:

Linkle is basically Link as much as any other Link is.

She talks tho. No talking for Links, please.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i honestly cant remember how i got to sa, it was some mmo i think

iunno the games subforum was cool when i lurked, it is now significantly less cool because i am posting in it, sorry ya'll

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

She talks tho. No talking for Links, please.

At the very least don't make everyone voice act around you because that will never not be loving weird unless the character is literally a mute.

"What do you think about this, Link?"

"..."

"You're right, you're silence speaks volumes."

Like it would be less weird if you heard a series of grunts and "hiyaaah"s between dialog.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I learned about sa from Photoshop threads on fark and worth 1000, but thought this place was entirely full of assholes.

For some reason though I kept peeking at it and eventually reading stuff like pppppowerbook and I Appear to be Trapped Behind a Police Cordon convinced me that that might be true, but they were funny assholes.

So I paid 10 bux to get rid of the pay wall and learned there were a lot more subforums than I realized.

I probably lurked for a year or two before posting at all and even then it took awhile before​ I posted anything like regularly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Captain Invictus posted:

Link should be a girl, Zelda should be a dude, and the next zelda game should be set in a FF7 Midgar-esque cyberpunk(?) dystopia with link riding an Epona-brand motorcycle

I find your ideas interesting and would like to subscribe to your newsletter

boy are my arms tired posted:

i honestly cant remember how i got to sa, it was some mmo i think

One of my ex's bought me an account, back when I literally didn't know SA even had forums. In fact all I knew about SA back then was that the "Your Band Sucks" article about Avenged Sevenfold/She Wants Revenge was extremely on point and funny.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I joined this website because a friend of mine in high school showed me a GBS thread where some guy partook in some old fashioned Goon Justice on a coworker by taking a poo poo in the ventilation system of his office so everyone smelled his turds for a week.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There are a lot of things in SA/GBS history that sure sound funny when you're a lovely teenager but become kind of :stare: when you get older, like the guy who wired up a Sega Genesis I think to fry his neighbor's cable connection because he was stealing cable from him and wound up starting a fire or something and could've easily killed someone.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There were also really epic chains of stories posters. Like HumperMonkey and uh, whatever that garbage truck driver's name were. Where they started out as these really cool, real-sound accounts of real life events and, as popularity grew, became increasingly improbably to the point where it was like, okay, I used to believe you weren't just making this poo poo up, but now it's pretty obvious that you are.

edit: Bruiser, I think was the garbage truck driver.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snak posted:

There were also really epic chains of stories posters. Like HumperMonkey and uh, whatever that garbage truck driver's name were. Where they started out as these really cool, real-sound accounts of real life events and, as popularity grew, became increasingly improbably to the point where it was like, okay, I used to believe you weren't just making this poo poo up, but now it's pretty obvious that you are.

edit: Bruiser, I think was the garbage truck driver.

Who was that one guy who had the long story OPs and by the end of the story it got so WTF that you went back up to see who posted it and it was like "ah dammit, of course! Tricked again!"

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Snak posted:

edit: ^ yeah, but it's not cool anymore. Discord is cool now.

This actually makes IRC cooler.

As for me, I would occasionally lurk around the forums back in around '03-'04, or whenever half-page long avatars were still a thing, but being phased out. In 2011, I started lurking even more and got tired of the filter in the beginning of 2012, so I paid :10bux: to be an actual poster.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 6, 2017

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I read the front page for years but didn't know there was a forum until my girlfriend at the time showed me some funny stuff in GBS and I started lurking. I finally bought an account when I got into WoW because that subforum was behind the paywall and I knew it was the best place for WoW discussion on the internet, and it probably still is.

I know I'm not the only person but I thought the word filter phrases were some kind of dumb injoke

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Who was that one guy who had the long story OPs and by the end of the story it got so WTF that you went back up to see who posted it and it was like "ah dammit, of course! Tricked again!"

Oh yeah, his stories always ending in like, feces everywhere. Like he would be telling some totally normal story about something that happened at school and then it would be like "and then I started making GBS threads my pants and poo poo was running down my pantleg and I slip in it and fell down and was rolling around in poo poo" or something like that.

What was his name?

edit: The worst part of this is seeing the average reg date of other posters slowly creep past mine. I'm turning 30 this month. It will be a miracle if I don't kill myself*

*Not an actual suicide risk.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

I know I'm not the only person but I thought the word filter phrases were some kind of dumb injoke

So did I! I figured everyone had just collectively agreed that "gently caress" was funnier than "gently caress" and just went with it.

Snak posted:

edit: The worst part of this is seeing the average reg date of other posters slowly creep past mine. I'm turning 30 this month. It will be a miracle if I don't kill myself*

*Not an actual suicide risk.

I turned 30 last summer. I am now an elderly, decrepit man who can walk only with the help of a gnarled cane.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Lobok posted:

I believe this was Martin Random, who coined the amazing phrase "fecal lasagna" when referring to his alleged roommate's bathtub.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lobok posted:

bigpeeler? 50-foot ant?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jim Sterling's video about Atlus is pretty funny and on point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nate RFB posted:

I believe this was Martin Random, who coined the amazing phrase "fecal lasagna" when referring to his alleged roommate's bathtub.

I feel like this is right...? I thought his name started with H but maybe Snak's mention of HumperMonkey is influencing me.

• Locked thread