Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Hrrm, I've read the first volume of the original Sagrada Reset light novel series, but found it too flat to keep up with, so I hoped the anime would spice it up somehow. Turns out they somehow made it even less interesting.

The author actually finished this book series 5 years ago (at 7 volumes total), so it's a bit puzzling that it was picked up for an adaptation. And not just anime, there's a double live-action movie feature as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpKGEHI0Wuw

However, the author's more recent work Kaidantou is what made me interested in Sagrada in the first place, because it's excellent. Great atmosphere, story and characters, about a bunch of sad people stuck on a mystical island ruled by a witch (?). Let's hope that gets adapted. Although given people's reactions to Sagrada, it's pretty unlikely now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Sakura Quest in part feels like PA's attempt to capitalize on the success of Shirobako, but the first episode didn't sell itself nearly as well as Shirobako's excellent opener. I don't think it was bad by any means, but it didn't interest me much. I'll watch a little more to see what they do with it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nate RFB posted:

I will silently judge anyone who does not pick Rakugo, even if the excuse is they haven't seen it yet.

For me Rakugo was a series I looked forward to for the excellence of the craft rather than for the story being told. It's a sublimely told story, I just didn't care for the characters or the plot.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Paracelsus posted:

For me Rakugo was a series I looked forward to for the excellence of the craft rather than for the story being told. It's a sublimely told story, I just didn't care for the characters or the plot.

Mamoru Hatakeyama/Shinichi Omata is an immensely talented director who excels at character work.

You should check out his other works, Sankarea and Rozen Maiden 2013. Both have weaknesses in the source material: Sankarea manga basically goes to poo poo after the events of the first arc, Rozen Maiden is held back by the fact it's a sequel and has to recap a ton of material. And Mamoru Hatakeyama still knocks it out of the park with what he has to work with, and when he has good source material, and enough episodes to explore his characters, you get something like Rakugo Shinjuu.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

okay this anime seems fu - uu-

quote:

Nomura Fudou was sent to this school after being part of a huge brawl. What will he do when the only options he has after enrolling are being expelled from that school or being corrected the way the rest of the male students there were...by being forced to dress and act like a girl!

NO. BAD! BAD!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Sakura Quest got a visceral emotional reaction out of me and is relatable to my present situation so I'll be giving it a go.

Davincie posted:

the conversations are incredibly unnatural and seem like they are performed by robots being commanded to be witty while failing miserable and half the scenes just have the characters stare vacantly into space while they say their lines.

Stop doxxing me.

StrixNebulosa posted:

NO. BAD! BAD!

On the other hand the actions scenes seem like they're pretty good.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

NO. BAD! BAD!

No, good

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
spare his rod, spoil the child

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Space Flower posted:

spare his rod, spoil the child

I laughed

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Paracelsus posted:

To each his own obviously, but I can't think of a set of characters I've cared about more in recent times than Yakumo/Yotaro/Konatsu. Everything about their dynamic was riveting and engaging, and Yakumo's life story in general was a tale woven through so many highs and lows, bouts of tragedy and catharsis. Everyone was very organic and layered, in that you'd come to view them in very different lights for past events as the story plowed on. It was a family that had been through the poo poo together and how they did (or did not) come together to overcome such difficulties was beautiful.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

StrixNebulosa posted:

NO. BAD! BAD!

If it helps, Nomura Fudou is this guy (http://i.imgur.com/lSSixaG.jpg) and I don't think he's dressing as a girl any time soon.
I watched the PV and it looks like that was just a gag.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Sakura Quest in part feels like PA's attempt to capitalize on the success of Shirobako, but the first episode didn't sell itself nearly as well as Shirobako's excellent opener. I don't think it was bad by any means, but it didn't interest me much. I'll watch a little more to see what they do with it.

Sakura Quest still seems like a lot of fun. It definitely another love letter type of series, I think and it looks like it harkens back to a time in Japan (the 80s or 90s?) that might connect more with Japanese viewers. I don't think the US had as much of a thing like that since those sorts of tourist traps weren't usually tied to specific towns.

I like the OP a lot too.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Xelkelvos posted:

Sakura Quest still seems like a lot of fun. It definitely another love letter type of series, I think and it looks like it harkens back to a time in Japan (the 80s or 90s?) that might connect more with Japanese viewers. I don't think the US had as much of a thing like that since those sorts of tourist traps weren't usually tied to specific towns.

I like the OP a lot too.

A little place called Gravity Falls would like a word with you!

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Atom: The Beginning actually sounds like a really interesting idea. Is there a possibility of it being good?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

I like the OP a lot too.

Yeah, like I said it wasn't doing much for me, but it probably holds plenty of value for nostalgic japanese viewers.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

HellCopter posted:

If it helps, Nomura Fudou is this guy (http://i.imgur.com/lSSixaG.jpg) and I don't think he's dressing as a girl any time soon.
I watched the PV and it looks like that was just a gag.

Look at that pose and outfit he's definitely got some sugar in his tang lol

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Davincie posted:

the conversations are incredibly unnatural and seem like they are performed by robots being commanded to be witty while failing miserable and half the scenes just have the characters stare vacantly into space while they say their lines.

Actually Monogatari is a masterpiece of modern animation

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

DisDisDis posted:

Actually Monogatari is a masterpiece of modern animation
And nobody can take that honor away.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiCGhzxaHzc

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

A little place called Gravity Falls would like a word with you!

Well A. The town isn't dependent on the Mystery Shack like the way this tourist attraction was, and many of the types of attraction that were in their heyday in the US were during the 50s and 60s during the time of suburban expansion and the popularization of the "Road Trip." With those types in Japan, they seem more like places one would go to day trips on or something for the weekend. With the American version, they usually encountered, not as a final destination, but as an interesting pit stop on the way to something more interesting like Ol' Faithful or the Grand Canyon or Disneyland.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Episode 1 of Sakura Quest was good, looking forward to more.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Is that season 2?

:woop:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Having watched all of Osomatsu-san a month or so ago...................good.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

a kitten posted:

Is that season 2?

:woop:

it's official. might be a June show but no date/window has been published in English yet afaik

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Let's celebrate by speaking English with Karamatsu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgOlWHMbduw

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anyone have a list of what stuff Amazon picked up? I can't find anything on their lovely site.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Granblue Fantasy the Animation: April 1
Sagrada Reset: April 5
Armed Girl's Machiavellism: April 5
Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend Flat: April 5
Kabukibu!: April 7
Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul: April 7
Re:CREATORS: April 7
Eromanga Sensei: April 8
Grimoire of Zero: April 10
Anonymous Noise: April 11
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Sword Oratoria: April 14
Atom The Beginning: April 15

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

So just two things I was mildly interested in. I'll see if they get any buzz, I guess.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thanks

Huh Granblue is on CR too at least so I wonder if the others will be (apart from the NoitaminA stuff I guess).

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

For future reference, senpai.moe does a pretty good job of tracking that stuff (also airing/streaming times).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thanks again

Checking it looks like none of the shows they've licensed and have aired so far are on the UK site at all, great.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sakura Quest's debut was pretty good. I still don't entirely get all the Shirobako comps it's been getting, but it looks like I could maybe wind up liking it as much as I did Shirobako.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Sakura Quest's debut was pretty good. I still don't entirely get all the Shirobako comps it's been getting, but it looks like I could maybe wind up liking it as much as I did Shirobako.

it's a comparison that was made basically based on premise and key art of working adults, totally ignoring tone/content. definitely going to be tiresome if the shows diverge even more.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

same studio, character design, similar cast, similar humor and so on....

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Davincie posted:

same studio, character design, similar cast, similar humor and so on....

a big part of Shirobako was the inside baseball stuff and how it was educational about the industry. i don't expect Sakura Quest to delve into that angle as hard and hope it doesn't fall victim to unfavorable comparisons because of it. that's mostly why I'd discourage the comparisons/expectations that seem to be weighing it against Shirobako already.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, there's obvious similarities but I've seen a few folks calling it "Shirobako but for Country PR", which seems like an even less useful comparison than the New Game "Shirobako but Games" stuff a while back.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I for one can't unsee the Sakura Quest girl as Pink Miyamori.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
If you're going to compare Sakura Quest to another PA Works show, I think Hanasaku Iroha is a much closer match than Shirobako (ignoring main character ages of course).

They're both fish out of water stories about a city person begrudgingly moving out to the country to work a job they have no experience in, thrust in amongst a bunch of wacky people they just met, and having to make the best out of it. On the other hand it feels like Sakura Quest is going to be more lighthearted and less melodramatic than Hanasaku, though it's hard to tell for sure from one episode.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The Eccentric Family 2 is gonna be on CR but they still haven't gotten the first season back :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

hanasaku iroha, shirobako and sakura quest are all three part of the 'working' series. so described by PA works themselves. PA works wants you to compare them, because they themselves have made them part of a series 'about people and their jobs'

• Locked thread