Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

mandatory lesbian posted:

they can use all the reasons they wanted to justify it but let's be real, trade evos and exclusive pokemon were a way to get kids to bug their parents for both versions and only exist today as a legacy feature
Por que no los dos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i only speak american, hoss :that crying eagle emote:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

i only speak american, hoss :that crying eagle emote:
:911:

It's Spanish and/or meme for "why not both?"

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

PMush Perfect posted:

:911:

It's Spanish and/or meme for "why not both?"

I'm 99% sure she knows that, like all good americans

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Silver Falcon posted:

I agree that it's cute, but I thought it looked more like a manticore.

Yeah, it's like a demented mix between manticore and chimaera. Except for the snake tail, it really reminds me of the HOMM3 manticore. It's got chimaera in the name though, so I dunno :v:

RareAcumen posted:

This.

This is the game that gets you to start drawing again.

What even.

I never stop drawing. :ssh:

Naggums posted:

so many of these designs are hot messes but sometimes they're cool enough to want to draw them

That looks rad af

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

PMush Perfect posted:

Also, this missing the three black pixels on the left side of the hat still bugs me.

Gonna be honest, I have no idea where that pixel went, I nabbed the source, and it was like that, and I never noticed.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Vinylshadow posted:

Why imagine when it's a reality?

N isn't even a loving playable let alone likable character gently caress

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gridlocked posted:

N isn't even a loving playable let alone likable character gently caress
We cannot all be perfect.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
Some of these designs are simply atrocious. They're ridiculous! For example, I got really carried away thinkin' super-deep thoughts about Linkite, man:

Like, what if it's all just pokéballs substituting Dittos all the way down? :aaaaa::byobear::aaaaa:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MissEchelon posted:

I never stop drawing. :ssh:

Drawing and posting your stuff here, at least.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

they can use all the reasons they wanted to justify it but let's be real, trade evos and exclusive pokemon were a way to get kids to bug their parents for both versions and only exist today as a legacy feature

This is the most cynical explanation, but it never made sense to me considering the existence of trading and how similar different versions are. Sandshrew isn't good enough to get me to buy and play through the same game again just for a chance to use it. Plus the whole collectathon aspect doesn't scan to buying two copies -- you'll never get Every Pokemon on either game if you play both and never trade, and if you don't care about that, why aren't you just playing one version and letting that be the end of it?

I distinctly remember telling my best friend who got Blue version after I already had Red version to hold off on playing until we could use his game to farm us both up a complete set of starters, but he couldn't wait long enough to pull it off :(

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

Some of these designs are simply atrocious. They're ridiculous! For example, I got really carried away thinkin' super-deep thoughts about Linkite, man:

Like, what if it's all just pokéballs substituting Dittos all the way down? :aaaaa::byobear::aaaaa:
So what if a Ditto turns into a Linkite, and is then Copied by Uranium's Ditto clone, who is then captured by a trainer...that's at least three separate poké balls it'll have to come out of once it's called into battle and I have no idea where I was going with that

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Vinylshadow posted:

So what if a Ditto turns into a Linkite, and is then Copied by Uranium's Ditto clone, who is then captured by a trainer...that's at least three separate poké balls it'll have to come out of once it's called into battle and I have no idea where I was going with that

Um, actually, Pokemon with Transform revert back to their normal form when called back into their Poke Balls.
:goonsay:

But for real, how does Linkite work? It's been asked before, but I still want to know, does the ball it's attached to get captured with it, does it get bound to the new ball, does its previous ball somehow just convert over? If this were an official game, by the way, I could maybe see an oddball gimmick Pokemon that somehow incorporates its own Poke Ball into its design and such, but it would have different forms based on what you caught it with, and maybe wild ones would have, like, a rock or something as a stand-in. They'd do something with the idea, essentially.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

EclecticTastes posted:

Um, actually, Pokemon with Transform revert back to their normal form when called back into their Poke Balls.

But for real, how does Linkite work? It's been asked before, but I still want to know, does the ball it's attached to get captured with it, does it get bound to the new ball, does its previous ball somehow just convert over? If this were an official game, by the way, I could maybe see an oddball gimmick Pokemon that somehow incorporates its own Poke Ball into its design and such, but it would have different forms based on what you caught it with, and maybe wild ones would have, like, a rock or something as a stand-in. They'd do something with the idea, essentially.

It's parasitizing a Voltorb. Why are you thinking so much about this lovely game?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

They'd use a coloured apricorn as a pokéball stand-in. :v:

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

a non-SA-account-having buddy of mine doodled some more stuff

SpruceZeus fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 6, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
:( Dunsparce's depression took a tragic turn (it's cute, even while dead)

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

SpruceZeus posted:

a non-SA-account-having buddy of mine doodled some more stuff

I want that loving dunsparce evolution holy sheeeeeit

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It isn't dead. It's just an angel now. :colbert:

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

The unholy fusion of Dunsparce and Qwilfish is complete

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bogart posted:

It isn't dead. It's just an angel now. :colbert:

are you trying to deny the accuracy of DBZ

risky business
Oct 9, 2012

Barns?

EclecticTastes posted:

Friends and I ended up discussing this, and one of them (kaaramel on Tumblr) ended up doodling my personal idea on how to do a Pokeball-incorporated Pokemon:

Different balls give different levels of DEF and SpDEF, plus a secondary typing for the weirder balls. We can't decide if Master Ball Form has godly defenses or if it's the weakest just to mess with collectors.

Look, whatever else, it beats the ghost thing.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Aisu posted:

Friends and I ended up discussing this, and one of them (kaaramel on Tumblr) ended up doodling my personal idea on how to do a Pokeball-incorporated Pokemon:

Different balls give different levels of DEF and SpDEF, plus a secondary typing for the weirder balls. We can't decide if Master Ball Form has godly defenses or if it's the weakest just to mess with collectors.

wanna pet that crab. :3:

Also it kinda reminds me of the crab robots from Genesis era Sonic.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

It's too cute! :swoon:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aisu posted:

Master Ball should be the strongest but only if the Master Ball belongs to the person using it and otherwise it is the weakest. Any attempt at trade instantly renders it useless.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

A hermit crab that uses the ball you caught it with is a super cute idea

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
What color is this little crab chum? I need to make sure it matches whatever Poke Ball I'm slamming at it.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Aisu posted:

In this hypothetical scenario, non-inheritable balls shouldn't do anything better than the best inheritable one. That sounds like a nightmare otherwise.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The best stats will be from Dream Balls and Apricorn balls. Neither will exist in-game.

risky business
Oct 9, 2012

Barns?

YggiDee posted:

What color is this little crab chum? I need to make sure it matches whatever Poke Ball I'm slamming at it.

Nice neutral grays default, red and white shiny, maybe?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

loquacius posted:

This is the most cynical explanation, but it never made sense to me considering the existence of trading and how similar different versions are. Sandshrew isn't good enough to get me to buy and play through the same game again just for a chance to use it. Plus the whole collectathon aspect doesn't scan to buying two copies -- you'll never get Every Pokemon on either game if you play both and never trade, and if you don't care about that, why aren't you just playing one version and letting that be the end of it?

I distinctly remember telling my best friend who got Blue version after I already had Red version to hold off on playing until we could use his game to farm us both up a complete set of starters, but he couldn't wait long enough to pull it off :(

It's because that probably isn't the reason. All the trading and battling with other people and more recently spot pass stuff is designed purely with Japan in mind since handhelds sell like hotcakes there (to my understanding). There was even that thing in the JP version of Crystal that allowed for online trading/battling via mobile that was then stripped from the localization.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Aisu posted:

Nice neutral grays default, red and white shiny, maybe?

It should take on the color and styleof its ball

Great ball gives BIG ANGRY EYEBROWS

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

People always say this, and I'm not gonna pretend "this game needs to make money" isn't the ultimate driving force behind the games period, but double-dipping to fill the dex entirely by yourself requires two consoles. Convincing your parents to let you buy two games, sure, convincing them to let you buy a second game boy is a much tougher sell. As a cash grab it's cheaper today with the bank letting you get away with buying the two games for one 3DS.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Genocyber posted:

It's because that probably isn't the reason. All the trading and battling with other people and more recently spot pass stuff is designed purely with Japan in mind since handhelds sell like hotcakes there (to my understanding). There was even that thing in the JP version of Crystal that allowed for online trading/battling via mobile that was then stripped from the localization.

Look at the Streetpass system, it works great in the most densely populated Japan, but in the states, unless you live in a major city, you're lucky to get a pass a day unless you hopped over to your Local Nerd Convention.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

EclecticTastes posted:

You're thinking way too hard about this. It's a ball and chain with Pokeball colors. Many Pokemon have accessories.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dr. Dos posted:

People always say this, and I'm not gonna pretend "this game needs to make money" isn't the ultimate driving force behind the games period, but double-dipping to fill the dex entirely by yourself requires two consoles. Convincing your parents to let you buy two games, sure, convincing them to let you buy a second game boy is a much tougher sell. As a cash grab it's cheaper today with the bank letting you get away with buying the two games for one 3DS.

It's so when you have two kids you buy two copies and two systems, and I imagine this is also why there's only one save slot.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

turn off the TV posted:

It's so when you have two kids you buy two copies and two systems, and I imagine this is also why there's only one save slot.

I'm certain that was originally a technical limitation. Red and Green were held together with chewing gum and hope. When they brought Iwata in to help with G/S, he fixed so much stuff they were able to fit Kanto on the cart.

After that it's either what you said or just tradition.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Aisu posted:

Maybe balls should have the same total defenses, but the distribution is different? So Pokeball is 100/100, Great Ball could be 120/80, Ultra 80/120, so on and so forth. That way, there isn't a strongest or weakest by design, but just in practice.

You could also have secondary effects like typing be in groups of balls, like Lure, Net, and Dive Balls all make it /water. Master, Cherish, and Beast Balls being different is a situation to be avoided, I believe. There's already enough trouble with availability.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

YggiDee posted:

Maybe give it Color Change like Kecleon and change the color of the bug inside but not the shell. You want it to match the ball's color? Better make sure it knows the right moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Begemot posted:

I'm certain that was originally a technical limitation. Red and Green were held together with chewing gum and hope. When they brought Iwata in to help with G/S, he fixed so much stuff they were able to fit Kanto on the cart.

Yeah, pokemon save files were monstrously huge by gameboy standards. Gen 1 saves were probably comparable in size to the earliest and simplest GB carts.

• Locked thread