Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Marchand died for Crosby's sins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

CBJSprague24 posted:

The playoff thread title needs to be "I'm Worried About My Team Because __________".

I will correct another poster's worries to include my thoughts.

Levitate posted:

just so everyone realizes the Rangers D is tonight is something like

Staal-Girardi
:smith:-Klein
Kampfer-Clendenning

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

CBJSprague24 posted:

The playoff thread title needs to be "I'm Worried About My Team Because __________".

"I'm a Washington Capitals fan"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

"We might have to let Dennis Wideman play at some point"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

2 games for performing a vasectomy without a medical license.

shma

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Schlesische posted:

Toronto is in for sure, and the Habs are in cruise mode. They've got absolutely nothing to win for right now and can take the foot off the throttle for a few games. Hey, maybe keep Lindgren around and give him a few more games of NHL hockey.

I don't see the magical confluence of:
1) Toronto losing all 3 remaining games
2) Bolts/Isles winning all 3 of their remaining games

It could happen. Mathematically, it is a possibility, but I wouldn't be putting money on it.

It's likely we make it but I've been a fan of this team long enough to not get my hopes up until it's a sure thing. And even then...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

StubHub is showing that first round tickets for the games in Columbus are significantly more expensive than in Pittsburgh. :confused:

If I didn't have to work and had more confidence in my team, my rear end might have taken a road trip.

https://www.stubhub.com/columbus-blue-jackets-tickets/performer/6350/

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

StubHub is showing that first round tickets for the games in Columbus are significantly more expensive than in Pittsburgh. :confused:

If I didn't have to work and had more confidence in my team, my rear end might have taken a road trip.

On the plus side, second round tickets will be much, much, much cheaper in columbus :smug:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Caps are even cheaper right now: https://www.stubhub.com/washington-capitals-tickets/performer/762/

I hate doing the playoff ticket dance. Do you wait for the elimination games? Do you hold your money for later rounds and risk not going to any games? How many games do you go to? What if you're a jinx?

$50 is basically regular season prices though. I guess I should go in early.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Caps tickets are insanely cheap, even in the playoffs, and it rules.

I'm pretty sure I've told this story before but I went to the playoff game in 09 when Ovechkin and Crosby both had hat tricks. I sat in the middle bowl, center ice, for like $150. It was the best.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Schlesische posted:

Toronto is in for sure, and the Habs are in cruise mode. They've got absolutely nothing to win for right now and can take the foot off the throttle for a few games. Hey, maybe keep Lindgren around and give him a few more games of NHL hockey.

I don't see the magical confluence of:
1) Toronto losing all 3 remaining games
2) Bolts/Isles winning all 3 of their remaining games

It could happen. Mathematically, it is a possibility, but I wouldn't be putting money on it.

Hard to believe the Isles still have a shot with how many injuries they have. Not only is Tavares dead but so many forwards are out that Thomas Hickey is playing as a top 6 winger. Yes, that Thomas Hickey.

Not that it matters much because the Isles play Carolina tonight, who they can't manage to beat even when they're healthy for whatever reason.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

gently caress you guys.

https://www.stubhub.com/edmonton-oilers-playoff-tickets/grouping/109620/

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Not even going to bother with MSG ticket prices considering the Rangers can't win at home.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Yeah that sucks. I think Oilers-Caps tickets were like $20 when they were at Verizon Center this year.

The "expensive" games are when the Flyers, Penguins, Rangers, or Bruins are in town. Then it's like $50 minimum, more if it's on a weekend. Usually you can sit just about anywhere though for pretty cheap. Last year when the Leafs called up Nylander and some of those other guys towards the end of the season, I bought seats in the lower bowl (maybe 10 rows from the glass?) for $60 the day of the game.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah that sucks. I think Oilers-Caps tickets were like $20 when they were at Verizon Center this year.

The "expensive" games are when the Flyers, Penguins, Rangers, or Bruins are in town. Then it's like $50 minimum, more if it's on a weekend. Usually you can sit just about anywhere though for pretty cheap. Last year when the Leafs called up Nylander and some of those other guys towards the end of the season, I bought seats in the lower bowl (maybe 10 rows from the glass?) for $60 the day of the game.

For the finals, it would be cheaper to buy tickets from every eastern team, and fly to whoever the oilers are facing, and just hope they win the cup on the road.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

detroit tickets are relatively cheap compared to most teams and i still find them way too expensive. and the prices in recent years have skyrocketed. i think im gonna start going to toledo walleye games--cheaper and less of a crowd to fight.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is this the point where Leafs, Habs, or Chicago fans butt in and start complaining a lot about the cost of games?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

xzzy posted:

Is this the point where Leafs, Habs, or Chicago fans butt in and start complaining a lot about the cost of games?

if i lived in any one of these cities, i would literally never go to a professional hockey game.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Caps tickets are insanely cheap, even in the playoffs, and it rules.

I'm pretty sure I've told this story before but I went to the playoff game in 09 when Ovechkin and Crosby both had hat tricks. I sat in the middle bowl, center ice, for like $150. It was the best.

I got tickets to the Sens Habs playoff game (game 3 iirc) that saw pageau score 3, pageau and price lose teeth, a playoff record for PIM in a game, and a home team rout. It was bonkers.

Not the best seats, but I scalped tickets right at the start of the game for something like $70 apiece. Some fine bilingual chirping that night.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

For that much money I got a regular season package against CBJ with unlimited food, unlimited booze, and this view.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gio posted:

if i lived in any one of these cities, i would literally never go to a professional hockey game.

Only "pro" hockey I've been to since Chicago's second cup is AHL games. Much as I love seeing the blackhawks play, spending three hours driving in the garbage fire that is the Chicago highway system and $1000 for decent seats just ain't worth it.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
Is there any info on the broadcast schedule for the playoffs in Canada yet? Does Sportsnet usually air the games, or is it all CBC? I reaaaaaaally want to cancel my loving cable since hockey is the only reason I have it at this point and if CBC is airing the Oilers games I can get that over the air.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

xzzy posted:

Only "pro" hockey I've been to since Chicago's second cup is AHL games. Much as I love seeing the blackhawks play, spending three hours driving in the garbage fire that is the Chicago highway system and $1000 for decent seats just ain't worth it.

I'm going to a wolves game Saturday. Much better

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RC Cola posted:

I'm going to a wolves game Saturday. Much better

Weekday games are even better. Seats on the glass for $20 if you want, parking lot is 1/6 full.

Icehogs have a really good arena for spectating too, if you can stomach the drive.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Oh and for cord-cutters like me who were eyeballing Playstation Vue for playoff watching: it works really well. I get NBC Sports and CSN Atlantic, which I think should keep me covered for the playoffs? Quality is a big step up from lovely streams on reddit.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Chad Sexington posted:

For that much money I got a regular season package against CBJ with unlimited food, unlimited booze, and this view.

It looks like space itself is warping

Good view

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Jesus Christ what?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Chad Sexington posted:

That view probably literally stank.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

Jesus Christ what?

They have no home games left this season so I can't show examples, but 100 level seats are commonly $400+. 200 level will be $300+. Plus you gotta pay for parking.

So $1000 is actually higher than actual cost if my wife and I wanted to attend, but not by much.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/850090998017409024

https://twitter.com/bruce_arthur/status/850099981679833092

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Going out of the country for honeymoon tomorrow so going to miss the first and most of the second round of the playoffs. Don't know why I didn't think of this when I booked the trip six months ago but oh well. See all of you in either the postseason or elimination thread.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

take me you ANIMAL posted:

Going out of the country for honeymoon tomorrow so going to miss the first and most of the second round of the playoffs. Don't know why I didn't think of this when I booked the trip six months ago but oh well. See all of you in either the postseason or elimination thread.

You didn't think of it because you're a normal human being excited to get some time away with your new spouse. Go have fun and don't worry about hockey.

and congrats :toot:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Chad Sexington posted:

Caps are even cheaper right now: https://www.stubhub.com/washington-capitals-tickets/performer/762/

I hate doing the playoff ticket dance. Do you wait for the elimination games? Do you hold your money for later rounds and risk not going to any games? How many games do you go to? What if you're a jinx?

$50 is basically regular season prices though. I guess I should go in early.

My strategy in 2014 (and again this year): Get tickets to one, maybe two games in the first round on the off chance the resale market either runs out of tickets or the few tickets which are left are overpriced by people trying to capitalize on the low supply, hold out to see if prices dip for other games. Squirrel money away for later rounds depending on funding and whether or not your team has a decent shot to get to said further rounds.

In '14, I accidentally got tickets to Games 3 and 6 not realizing StubHub's definition of "Home Game 1 and 3" was different than what I thought it meant. My dad and I then snagged tickets to Game 4 for like $65 a piece three hours before the game (and thank Christ we did because that was the MAF game). I also went all-out because I didn't see the CBJ beating Pittsburgh and, sure enough.

I have tickets to Game 1/3 (depending on seeding) this year and will evaluate how the series is going/what my schedule is before I explore more. I was a lot more confident about getting out of Round 1 a couple weeks ago than I am now.

:smug:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Mods please change my name to Fairy Godfather

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Katz what the gently caress :stare:

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

To make things better, those prices are in USD. So Edmontonians actually have to pay more than that thanks to the CAD-USD exchange rate. Turns out when you don't make the playoffs for 11 years season ticket holders are gonna scalp the gently caress out of tickets.

(still gonna find a way to go to the first game though)

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

DJExile posted:

Katz what the gently caress :stare:

You're surprised a lovely rich guy did a lovely rich guy thing?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/jprutherford/status/850105860558815233

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

You're surprised a lovely rich guy did a lovely rich guy thing?

I say it more out of disgust than surprise, in my defense

• Locked thread