Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
There's a new Mac Pro (allegedly) coming in the far future that will be "expandable" and "upgradable". So maybe there will be new drivers again in 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

hey girl you up posted:

There's a new Mac Pro (allegedly) coming in the far future that will be "expandable" and "upgradable". So maybe there will be new drivers again in 2019.

Sadly they never said "expandable" or "upgradeable", they said "modular". We'll see what that means but I agree that it bodes well for new web drivers on macOS.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

They used both of those words!

Phil Schiller posted:

And for that, we’re sorry to disappoint customers who wanted that, and we’ve asked the team to go and re-architect and design something great for the future that those Mac Pro customers who want more expandability, more upgradability in the future. It’ll meet more of those needs.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Mac Pascal drivers coming later this month. Hackintosh community just collectively orgasmed
https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2017/04/06/titan-xp/

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yep, the Titan Xp (their capitalization, not mine) is shipping supposedly

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/04/06/nvidia-reveals-mac-pro-compatible-titan-xp-pci-e-gpu-macos-drivers-for-pascal-based-video-cards

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://9to5mac.com/2017/04/06/nvidia-titan-xp-beta-pascal-drivers-mac/

9to5 Mac posted:

We have reached out to Nvidia for a statement about compatibility down the line with lesser 10-series cards, and I’m happy to report that Nvidia states that all Pascal-based GPUs will be Mac-enabled via upcoming drivers. This means that you will be able to use a GTX 1080, for instance, on a Mac system via an eGPU setup, or with a Hackintosh build. Exciting times, indeed.

Rejoice, for ye shall be able to run 1070 / 1080s in your Hackintoshes / cheesegrater MP's with the same Mac web drivers!

eames
May 9, 2009

8ender posted:

Mac Pascal drivers coming later this month. Hackintosh community just collectively orgasmed
https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2017/04/06/titan-xp/

:eyepop:

Time to update and dust off that unRAID hackintosh VM with PCIe passthrough.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
:ughh: I was a fool to buy AMD.

I mean more than most people who do, but still...

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010
Still on ElCap. Can I just:
* Upgrade Clover (my version is ancient)
* Change from MacPro3,1 to iMac14,something (do I need to be careful here since I have an NV GPU?)
* Make sure all my kexts are also in Clover's 10.12 dir
* Update from the app store
and expect it to work? I would usually do a fresh install but I would really prefer to keep my full environment setup going if possible.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

That's what I did and it worked fine, would recommend a full CCC backup first though. iMac 14,2 is the standard recommendation.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Update your kexts as well for a greater chance of success, at least fakeSMC. There is a new atheros e2200 driver version out too that is much more reliable for me.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010
Upgraded, and updated some kexts too. It mostly works now except it can't shut down or reboot- the UI partially zooms out, the shutdown loading spinner appears as it's supposed to, but then it just stays like that forever. I have to hit the hardware reset button.

Rebooting from single-user mode works fine. It happens regardless of the Nvidia driver status. Any ideas?

E: It works in safe mode too.
E2: Fixed by disabling various LaunchAgents/LaunchDaemons I didn't need. Unfortunately I don't have the patience to bisect and figure out the exact culprit. It's still slow to change from "finished shutting down" to "actual ACPI shutdown/reset", but it's maybe 15-20s. Entirely tolerable.

Seven Round Things fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 15, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

Pascal drivers are already coming next week: :woop:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1002724/geforce-apple-gpus/pascal-based-graphics-card-drivers-for-macos/

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
gently caress me. I gave up and bought a used 980ti last week because I gave up on Pascal drivers. :what:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not upgrading for another 2 years from my 780ti but this is most welcome news. I expect to be upgrading to an 11/2xxti by then and I might have a 4K monitor that makes use of the added power.

Won't be changing CPU/MB as that part of the world isn't exactly setting the world on fire.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

JnnyThndrs posted:

gently caress me. I gave up and bought a used 980ti last week because I gave up on Pascal drivers. :what:

I bought a 980ti a while back because I was worried about drivers but not all is lost. Mine was able to overclock to an ungodly 1520mhz and now performs within spitting distance of a 1080.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

8ender posted:

I bought a 980ti a while back because I was worried about drivers but not all is lost. Mine was able to overclock to an ungodly 1520mhz and now performs within spitting distance of a 1080.

I didn't know you could do that. Care to give a quick rundown as the information out there is somewhat conflicting and if it involves flashing the card, I am not keen on that.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Craptacular! posted:

:ughh: I was a fool to buy AMD.

I mean more than most people who do, but still...

I'm still hoping they stick a Vega chip in the next iMac, so I can get more reliable FCP X performance. Currently I'm on a 980, and maybe this driver update from Nvidia will halt some of the kernel panics I get from certain plugins....

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
How hard would it be to hackintosh my current system when the updated drivers come out? I have a 5820k on an asus x99m ws motherboard with a 1070

Also i have an Intel pcie Wlan card, will that work?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

oohhboy posted:

I didn't know you could do that. Care to give a quick rundown as the information out there is somewhat conflicting and if it involves flashing the card, I am not keen on that.

Unfortunately it involves flashing the card. That said if you're okay with overclocking in Windows but stock speeds in OSX there's plenty of good overclocking utilities out there.

eames
May 9, 2009

So since Hackintosh GPU overclocking requires BIOS modifications and that's not possible with Pascal, there won't be a way to overclock a 1000-series GPU under macOS?

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

eames posted:

So since Hackintosh GPU overclocking requires BIOS modifications and that's not possible with Pascal, there won't be a way to overclock a 1000-series GPU under macOS?
In theory, someone could reverse engineer whichever hardware interface is used by Windows soft overclock tools and write a macOS equivalent. In practice, it's unfortunately very unlikely.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

:siren: If anyone cares, beta Mac Pascal drivers are here: :siren:

https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/378/WebDriver-378.05.05.05f01.pkg

Edit: SIERRA ONLY, El Capitan users hosed right out of the gate. Oh well.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 11, 2017

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

El Capitan users hosed right out of the gate.

Good.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I got 10.12.4 running on my Asus Z270E GAMING and GTX 1080 tonight after some fiddling to get the graphics card to work. Even using an older SSD, I am blown away at how fast this is. My Mac is a 2013 MBA and my work Mac is a 2015 MBP 15", and this thing just feels like lightning. Granted its running at 4.8GHz with DDR4 3200 and a one of the fastest GPUs you can buy, but still.

There is a reason that Mac fans are pissed at Apple for not catering to power users and professionals: nothing in the current line up can touch this kind performance.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

:black101:

Immediately feels like kind of a waste, probably time to set up dual booting with windows 10 for steam stuff

But at least it works!

I had lots of kernel panics after replacing a gtx690 with this card though, at some point I must have installed an incompatible version of HWSensors since i kept crashing with GPUSensors mentioned in the traceback.

Fortunately the recovery partition booted just fine and eventually I tracked the bad kexts down to /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ after deleting them from every other location I could think of and getting rid of /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

r u ready to WALK posted:

:black101:

Immediately feels like kind of a waste, probably time to set up dual booting with windows 10 for steam stuff

But at least it works!

I had lots of kernel panics after replacing a gtx690 with this card though, at some point I must have installed an incompatible version of HWSensors since i kept crashing with GPUSensors mentioned in the traceback.

Fortunately the recovery partition booted just fine and eventually I tracked the bad kexts down to /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ after deleting them from every other location I could think of and getting rid of /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel

There isn't currently a pascal compatible version of the GPUSensors kext. The guy that runs hwsensors.com is working on making it compatible. Check out their github issues section for more info.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I just had to check out how the new drivers ran.
It is actually possible to run OSX off an external hard drive caddy. The only headache was that for some reason the drive needed a few goes to format so an EFI partition was created.

The other headache was getting Clover's happy little boxes ticked so the graphics card loaded up but it's so nice to have proper monitors again.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Well I saw the new drivers and felt like making a Hackintosh lol. I did the boot drive on an m2 nvme ssd, which turned out to be a gigantic pain in the rear end!

red_leg
Aug 7, 2002
Do folks really like OS X that much over Debian/Ubuntu/etc?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You're asking that inside the Hackintosh thread where we jump through a bunch of hoops to use OSX.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I do. Ubuntu has the worst fuckin' default UI I've ever used, OSX has the best(although I think it's gone downhill since around ML).

Plus, I kind of enjoy tinkering around with Hacks.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

red_leg posted:

100%

Though I happily use Linux for 100% of server/infrastructure ops.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

For me, the single greatest feature is the way OS X handles multiple monitors and switching between fullscreen stuff, especially when you combine it with Parallels running a windows VM.

I have four 120hz displays hooked up to mine and it's amazingly slick and reliable, with all my work related stuff running on separate virtual machines.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

For me it's this. I haven't rebooted my Hackintosh or seen any sort of app crash probably since I built it nearly a year ago. My HTPC is Windows and it's just constant janky poo poo at all times.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

red_leg posted:

I bought a bunch of iOS things because I love OS X on my PC so much. Now I own a MacBook Pro that's old but just enough to run Sierra, and I sort of avoid using it because what I really wish was that I could still run OS X on my PC (and also because I have a bitchin' iPad that makes an old Core Duo MacBook kind of redundant, but...)

Basically I'd own a real Mac if only the Mac mid-range desktops weren't still wrapped up in that "Family Computer" motif that has been rendered obsolete by, ironically, iPads.

EDIT: And the number of "build a Hackintosh with a 1080 it's easy!!" articles I'm seeing everywhere are causing me to worry for the future of this poo poo and also wish I hadn't bought a GPU three months before the Nvidia drivers because it seems to be all about the 10x0 right now.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 29, 2017

pram
Jun 10, 2001
It is in fact easy. Everything Just Works™ (for the most part)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Just saying that the more I see tutorials etc on big Apple related sites like 9to5Mac the more it worries me that this stuff won't be easy forever. Nothing that can be done about it, but Apple didn't care when it was "go to Tonymac" or whatever but if it gets to the point that you see steps listed out on Macworld then you bet there's going to be substantial changes that will gently caress us up.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I wouldn't be surprised if one or more engineers inside Apple are secretly contributing to the hackintosh community to make sure it runs as well as it does

It must be really frustrating to spend all that effort on macOS and all its APIs only to have your employer focus entirely on iOS because that's where all the app store profits are :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

red_leg posted:

Debian/Ubutntu doesnt have iMessage, Facetime, or Call Handoff from iPhones.

That being said, since I went back to Android my Hackintosh has been shelved in favor of my other laptops running Arch.