Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah I think the fanatical purifiers requirements are fine. It's not normal run-of-the-mill xenophobia, it's the absolute genocidal extreme and your entire civilization is structured around it. That sort of thing tends to dominate a society to the exclusion of other pursuits.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I think a lot of this makes more sense if looked at as "What kind of civic values make sense for these fundamental ethics?" rather than "What do I have to do in order to be Fanatical Purifiers?"

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Yeah there's more than one way to play Fanatic Xenophobe Militarists too. They can just as easily be played as extreme isolationists because the rest of the universe is icky - in which case you don't pick fanatic purifier.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted:

The prosperity faction is pacifist. Pacifism was changed to be about internal prosperity/strength. Egalitarian faction is all about democracy and equal rights.

I think everything would work out if pops went back to being able to have multiple ethos, but only belong to a single faction which would be the most important defining thing. Then just have a bunch of cool factions that represent lots of possible blends/interpretations. Maybe your empire has a bunch of egalitarian pacifists, spiritual pacifists, egalitarian militarists, and spiritual militarists. Egalitarian faction pops up first because it's the dominant, works as normal and the faction wants pretty basic egalitarian things like personal freedoms and no purges or slavery. Pacifist is pretty popular too, but the pacifist faction that appears has more religious angle to things, focused more inner happiness and well being and less concerned with the material world and obviously being absolutely against war. The egalitarian pacifists don't really get drawn to this faction as much since they're happy in the generic egalitarian faction, but there's a small chance a few pops might join despite not being spiritualists. But what about the militarists? The egalitarian militarists are ok in the egalitarian faction but there's a good chance that a specific egalitarian militarist faction might pop up, some sort of democratic crusaders who get pissed as heck if you are making treaties or cozying up with war criminals and really want you to rival or even go to war with slavers and purgers. The spiritualist militarists join this faction because the other spiritualist faction leans pacifist and that turns them off. Finally as the empire grows a militarist spiritualist faction forms to cater to that specific ideology. These are crusaders, they want holy war and all the things you'd imagine holy warriors would demand.

So every pop could have a primary and secondary ethos, the first being the most important, the 2nd being there to pick their "flavour" of the former. Factions could also have a primary and secondary ethos that work the same way. Pops join factions that align the best with their primary and secondary ethos but are repulsed by secondary ethos that are directly counter to their own. (So a Spiritualist pacifist would join any spiritualist faction so long as it wasn't also militarist). An empire won't have a faction for every possible mix of primary and secondary ethos, just enough to cover most of the bases. So if you have a huge chunk of your population egalitarian materialist and egalitarian pacifist, one egalitarian faction would probably be all that forms. But if you have a lot of xenophobic pacifists and xenophobic militarists you're probably going to end up with two xenophobic factions, one that interprets xenophobia with a need to be inward focused and ignore the gross aliens all around, and another that wants to make your empire safe from the xeno by conquest.

So now we have way more possible factions that better represent how we probably imagine our empires to interpret our ethos. And we have the ability to suppress/support the interpretations we prefer. Maybe there's two non-mutually exclusive factions for a primary ethos in our empire and we like one way more than the other so we push that one, suppress the other to gain that faction more membership. Perhaps by making the spiritualist pacifists the supported spiritualist faction and suppressing the spiritualist militarist faction it will get more of our spiritualist pops to ethos-drift away from the militarism. Of course by doing that the spiritualist militarists are going to be a pissed off minority faction until they've been converted or marginalized enough that the faction stops being relevant.

Eh, just some rambling ideas, sorry wiz.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

Yeah there's more than one way to play Fanatic Xenophobe Militarists too. They can just as easily be played as extreme isolationists because the rest of the universe is icky - in which case you don't pick fanatic purifier.

You can't play isolationists in the game because that would mean colonising until you hit other empires and then putting the game on fast forward and not doing anything.

AI empires can be isolationist but players can't meaningfully.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

OwlFancier posted:

You can't play isolationists in the game because that would mean colonising until you hit other empires and then putting the game on fast forward and not doing anything.

AI empires can be isolationist but players can't meaningfully.

Habitats?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can now build tall yes but you can't do anything as an isolationist, the game isn't real life where just surviving is a good goal, you can entrench yourself to a great extent but you won't be achieving anything unless you are interacting with other empires either diplomatically or militarily.

And the last thing I would want is a civ 5 science victory option as it's unbelievably boring because it just rewards you for not interacting or doing anything all game while being utterly disconnected from everybody who is playing.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Gonna agree that this game probably needs way more and better diplomatic options for territorial isolationism to be a fun playstyle.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

OwlFancier posted:

You can now build tall yes but you can't do anything as an isolationist, the game isn't real life where just surviving is a good goal, you can entrench yourself to a great extent but you won't be achieving anything unless you are interacting with other empires either diplomatically or militarily.

And the last thing I would want is a civ 5 science victory option as it's unbelievably boring because it just rewards you for not interacting or doing anything all game while being utterly disconnected from everybody who is playing.

It's me, I'm the isolationist turtle. I'm not sure if I find it fun or I just hate managing wars in stellaris that much. Exploring and building up my economy is fun enough for me. I find even when I'm fully isolationist I'm always doing something. Optimizing the tiles on a planet, having like 5 planets in the terraforming pipeline so I'm constantly building up new worlds, keeping my fleet in tip top shape so no one even thinks about forcing me to micro-manage it. There tends to always be some new frontier or some new tech that changes things up enough that I'm never just sitting there on turbo speed waiting. Maybe it's a hyperlane only thing but I also find even into the end game there will be some arm or pocket of space empty and a frontier. Maybe some ancient horror was blocking a bottleneck, maybe a fallen empire. Clearing those things out also gives you something to do.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The music player is cool and good, that is all.

Maybe the music was always good and I had it turned all the way down, idk, but I like what I've heard thus far.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

It's me, I'm the isolationist turtle. I'm not sure if I find it fun or I just hate managing wars in stellaris that much. Exploring and building up my economy is fun enough for me. I find even when I'm fully isolationist I'm always doing something. Optimizing the tiles on a planet, having like 5 planets in the terraforming pipeline so I'm constantly building up new worlds, keeping my fleet in tip top shape so no one even thinks about forcing me to micro-manage it. There tends to always be some new frontier or some new tech that changes things up enough that I'm never just sitting there on turbo speed waiting. Maybe it's a hyperlane only thing but I also find even into the end game there will be some arm or pocket of space empty and a frontier. Maybe some ancient horror was blocking a bottleneck, maybe a fallen empire. Clearing those things out also gives you something to do.

I play slowly but I'm not actually an isolationist, I spent a lot more time managing and backfilling the empire, especially with Alphamod giving you a lot more development to do, but I still spend a lot of time fighting people to make subject states on my borders or to force people to let me out of my arm on hyperlanes only.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Mazz posted:

The music player is cool and good, that is all.

Maybe the music was always good and I had it turned all the way down, idk, but I like what I've heard thus far.

The new music is wonderfully epic. Massive congratulations here.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
Speaking of music, I wonder if we will be able to buy the new tracks. While I'm at work I like throw the soundtrack to block out other distractions in the office.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Aethernet posted:

The new music is wonderfully epic. Massive congratulations here.

Yeah a couple of these tracks have given me chills, it's superlative.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

So is it possible to ignore all unrest with enough defensive armies?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Sedisp posted:

So my camera appears to be moving with my mouse with no way to stop it. How do I fix this?

Is your middle mouse button pushed down somehow?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
im sure this has been posted, but im having a really hard time deciding between these two options

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Um, my first game was fine, but i decided to tweak my race a bit and restarted. Now any game i start or load i'm treated to a grey start view and i cannot go into galaxy map mode or do anything. No mods enabled and verified cache. Anyone else?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

So maybe I just got really lucky with the Infinity Machine giving me Sentient AI early on, but it seems like you can tear through the research tree now. My fanatic materialist space parrots with the Technological Ascendancy perk are at like +70% research speed. It's only 30 years in and I'm drawing tier 4 cards (antimatter power, synths, etc.)

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 6, 2017

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Doorknob Slobber posted:

im sure this has been posted, but im having a really hard time deciding between these two options

Well, as Sid Meier said, each game should be a series of interesting decisions. :v:

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
if you remove this hotkey, your empire will decline

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
So it's pretty easy to mineral starve yourself now with consumer goods if you don't pay attention. I pumped out 4 colonies and all of a sudden I was making like 11 minerals per turn. Shouldn't be hard to overcome this easily but its something you have to pay a tad more attention to now.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 6, 2017

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Pop growth on the new model is considerably slower until your food surplus is significant. This does lead to a slower early game, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

if you remove this hotkey, your empire will decline

YOU CAN'T REMOVE THIS HOTKEY! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Aethernet posted:

Pop growth on the new model is considerably slower until your food surplus is significant. This does lead to a slower early game, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Is there a tooltip anywhere showing foods effect on growth? I mouseover pops and their growth bar but it doesn't show anything like "+1 base growth, +3.2 from food, -2.1 from habitability" or what ever.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Baronjutter posted:

Is there a tooltip anywhere showing foods effect on growth? I mouseover pops and their growth bar but it doesn't show anything like "+1 base growth, +3.2 from food, -2.1 from habitability" or what ever.

this and an "x days to growth" thing would be nice, it would save the cognitive overhead of saying "okay there's 4.7 points left to growth and my growth rate is 1.8 so that's about 2.5 months left I guess"

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sad there wasn't a new portrait category for hive minds

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

From reading other places and talking to people it seems a lot of folks aren't really "getting" the new food system and still playing that any extra food beyond +0 is sub-optimal waste because the game doesn't seem to make clear what effect excess food has on growth. Gotta spell that out so people can see how worth it is.

I noticed my empire was growing super super slow (robots are so slow too) because I was sitting at +1 food. Sure my stockpile was full but how much excess food do I need? I bumped it up to +10 and things seem to be filling out faster. I only say seem because I don't see any way to measure :(

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Nothing quite as helpful that I've found so far. It should really be in the tip for the growth bar, but currently it only shows the per month value after surplus is taken into account.

Edit: Excess seems to have diminishing returns, but the value is unclear.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Comparing the growth rate with a non-full food stockpile with a full one shows that it does indeed make a notable difference, but there should definitely be a simple tooltip addition saying just how much.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Dongattack posted:

Um, my first game was fine, but i decided to tweak my race a bit and restarted. Now any game i start or load i'm treated to a grey start view and i cannot go into galaxy map mode or do anything. No mods enabled and verified cache. Anyone else?

Double check that you don't have any mods enabled. I crashed out of my first game and when I went to log back in, the game had auto-enabled a good dozen mods that I'm 100% certain I didn't have enabled the first time.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm just happy I could re-make all my MOO races and make the Klackons an actual hive mind!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Wow, they've definitely upped the effects of bombardment. These assholes blasting Foli into dust are ruining buildings and terrain left and right.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I wonder what the disadvantage is for agrarianism(Farms generate +1 Unity)? Turning your farms into mini Paradise Domes seems very useful. (Paradise Domes are +5 food, +2 Unity, +10% happiness, one per planet).

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Why would I want a higher food stockpile than minimal? Just for a rainy day/prolonged war?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't really see one to be honest, that seems like a pretty powerful tech, downside I guess being that you have to be a pacifist.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Haven't played in a while, is trading star charts still a trap?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

canepazzo posted:

Why would I want a higher food stockpile than minimal? Just for a rainy day/prolonged war?

I would suggest increasing your stockpile as your empire grows, you want it proportional to your income/expenditure so that it doesn't represent a week's stockpile rather than maybe a year or so.

Lprsti99 posted:

Haven't played in a while, is trading star charts still a trap?

I believe they changed it so the systems don't count as surveyed for the purpose of anomalies. Seem to recall that being mentioned in a stream.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Bloodly posted:

I wonder what the disadvantage is for agrarianism(Farms generate +1 Unity)? Turning your farms into mini Paradise Domes seems very useful. (Paradise Domes are +5 food, +2 Unity, +10% happiness, one per planet).

same as any other civic? you have to choose it instead of something else, and there's a lot of appealing options

the natural comparison would be beacon of liberty (+15% unity), so the question then is whether your farm count is >= 0.15*your base unity generation. I've only played a couple of hours so far, but my instinct is that it's better in the early game, at least unless you're running very robot heavy. but it looks like unity production increases over the course of the game, whereas your farms/world will eventually start going down as your food tech gets better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The imperial government for fanatical purifiers is called a Blood Court. :black101:

• Locked thread