Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Huh, so how long is Dini going to be on 'Tec?

Edit: Oh, in more serious news: I might.... like Beyond? I actually liked the reveal of the Joker having been the real mastermind, and even though I'm torn on the idea of Matt as Robin and the new suit still looks bad, the writing's fairly on point and brushes past most of the Brother Eye stuff quickly enough that you can ignore it.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Dark Days, which was teased in Detective Comics #950, got an announcement with two one-shots from Snyder and Tynion (so far.)
http://www.cbr.com/scott-snyder-jim-lee-dc-universe-event-dark-days/

It doesn't seem like King's 'Batman' will be tying in between the issues. In June it's starting a Riddler/Joker flashback storyline.

So it's Snyder doing another arc with Batman involved in another secret history thing??? Might give this a pass.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Edit: Oh, in more serious news: I might.... like Beyond?

Did Tim keep his love interest after the time skip at the end of Futures End? I thought the neatest thing they could do is keep them an item when she's, like 30 years older.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Did Tim keep his love interest after the time skip at the end of Futures End? I thought the neatest thing they could do is keep them an item when she's, like 30 years older.

No clue, the Rebirth run is back to basics, Terry, Max and Bruce in Neo-Gotham. This first arc was about Jokerztown, a part of the city the Jokerz had taken over, led by a guy who was claiming he'd found the Joker's body and was reviving him to lead them. He also kidnapped Dana, forcing Terry to, after failing to stop them as Batman, go undercover as the son of Matches Malone to rescue her. It turns out the Joker thing was a lie. and the drugged up guy in clown makeup he was using as the decoy was Bruce Wayne, who he was also using to bankroll the operation, in order to steal a secret Wayne tech McGuffin. Except the mentally challenged henchman the main baddie had had following him around as his manservant turned out to be the real Joker biding his time.

During all this, Matt (Terry's brother) has to sneak in to get the new Batsuit to Terry while he's wearing a fairly obvious red-and-green hoodie and Dana finds out that Terry is A) alive and B) Batman

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

This all sounds terrible. So very terrible

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Batman is going to be dynamite this week boyos.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

fadam posted:

Batman is going to be dynamite this week boyos.

Batman comes out this week?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Last week was Detective and they alternate right?

Edit: ah gently caress

fadam fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 27, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/848908005869486080
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/848909071596097536
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/848910571747643392
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/848911191737065472
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/848911822094815236
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/848914296167911424

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think this looks pretty tight honestly

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
This sounds dope, but Christ alive is that a clumsy title.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Jokes v Riddles

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
JvR

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
On the one hand I kind of like the idea of a battle between baddies and the Joker and Riddler seem like such over the top characters that a rivalry between them based on ego alone would be compelling, but I am also sick of the Joker and wish creators would use other Batman villains every now and again.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Madkal posted:

On the one hand I kind of like the idea of a battle between baddies and the Joker and Riddler seem like such over the top characters that a rivalry between them based on ego alone would be compelling, but I am also sick of the Joker and wish creators would use other Batman villains every now and again.

Jokers been MIA since Rebirth started. Of course due to the double shipping that feels longer than it has been, but at least it's not a solo Joker story.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
Which Joker are they using (i'm assuming the Snyder New 52 version) and is this going to explain the 3 Jokers thing or is that yet another abandoned Geoff Johns plotline?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Mr President posted:

Which Joker are they using (i'm assuming the Snyder New 52 version) and is this going to explain the 3 Jokers thing or is that yet another abandoned Geoff Johns plotline?

There's literally no answer because the book is not out yet, but I hope one or more of the Jokers is gay so it can ruin your day.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

This is set very soon after Zero Year so probably it's going to just be Tom King's Joker, and nobody really knows what Tom King's Joker is like. Tom King has been extremely good at writing the other villains he's done so far so I'm pretty on board with this.

Also I hope the Joker is never established as canon gay because that's the shittiest lazy gay panic thing to do is write the villain as sexually threatening to the hero and way too many writers are already doing that. Unless its like Lego Batman where he's kicking Batman to the curb for not reciprocating his feelings.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Kevin Smith already had Joker do terrible gay jokes and it was terrible and deserves to be forgotten like all of Smith's Batman stuff.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

purple death ray posted:

Also I hope the Joker is never established as canon gay because that's the shittiest lazy gay panic thing to do is write the villain as sexually threatening to the hero and way too many writers are already doing that. Unless its like Lego Batman where he's kicking Batman to the curb for not reciprocating his feelings.

Snyder used a lot of lover talk from J in Death of The Family, which was actually removed from trades.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think you'll find that Joker moved past his addiction to smiling long ago, and that loving hack Tom King is just walking back on all that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
With Comic Alliance gone I was thinking that DC should give Chris Simms an out of continuity Batman title and let him go crazy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Snyder used a lot of lover talk from J in Death of The Family, which was actually removed from trades.

That's... really weird. The removal part I mean.

purple death ray posted:

Jokers been MIA since Rebirth started. Of course due to the double shipping that feels longer than it has been, but at least it's not a solo Joker story.

Joker needs to be absent from all media for like 5 years before I'm not sick of him anymore. No video games, no cartoons, no movies, no nothing, discontinue his Funko Pops, pull the drat plug. Then maybe when I hear "Joker's coming back" I won't just grimace.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm pretty glad we're at the end of the "I am..." trilogy.
I liked Gotham, Suicide was okay for some of the art spreads, but Bane didn't do anything for me.

I am pumped about The Button just to change things up.

I think we're still getting a Bane Aftermath before Riddler/Joker, but with all that and the Swamp Thing issue, I'm hopeful that the rest of the year will actually makes me a fan of King's Batman.

Edit: I loved 'Rooftops'.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 5, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This week's Batman was good but pretty anti-climactic. I definitely expected Gotham Girl to gently caress Bane up or something instead of Batman just sandbagging for the whole issue then winning in one panel .

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

fadam posted:

This week's Batman was good but pretty anti-climactic. I definitely expected Gotham Girl to gently caress Bane up or something instead of Batman just sandbagging for the whole issue then winning in one panel .

It was pretty loving abrupt, wasn't it? Spent half the issue recapping the first 19 issues too.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Reminded me of the Guy/Arkillo fight, tbh.
"I'm really tough!"
"Actually... I'm tougher."
*scene turns on a dime*

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Guy/Arkillo fight was awesome though

I think this one kind of falls flat because it's based around recap, whereas there was an emotional link in the Guy/Arkillo one that we didn't just spend the entire series covering.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The build up was great, but they should have saved a few pages for a really satisfying beatdown rather than having Bane go down to a single headbutt imo. I loved Batman goading Bane with the idea that he's just another villain whose mouth keeps writing checks his rear end can't cash

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Okay I caught up on Batman today and...like...I'm sorry but I feel like this is going to end up one of those stories where everyone is in on the punchline but I just don't get it.

Why should I care about Bane? Why is he dangerous? Why is he cool? Why is he a threat to Batman? Everyone is loving browning their pants over him in this book and yet he hasn't been shown doing...anything powerful at all except punching things really hard? It'd be interesting if he's been able to come up with really jawdropping methods of taking on Batman and the entire rest of Gotham but the only thing he does is punch things! Like, what the hell? Batman can't contend with someone who punches really hard? What am I not getting here? I can't possibly conceive of three Robins losing to this aggro weirdo, much less Batman himself.

And I know that it's better for series and franchises and characters to keep to their lanes, so Batman can't just call the Justice League for every problem he has, but they seriously ramp up how big of a loving deal it is that Bane is coming for Batman...and then they show Superman taking an interest...and then just brush off like "It's not your fight" or whatever, which is so lame. Yeah, we wouldn't want literally anyone in the League showing up and completely flattening Bane now, would we? Like, forget Flash or the GLs...what's Bane gonna do against Cyborg? Punch more?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I suppose the threat is just supposed to come from your memory of Knightfall, what with his same dumb lackeys popping up.

I Am Bane stunk. David Finch ain't great.
It'd be rad if Mitch Gerads came on to replace him full-time, but I guess they've got Sheriff of Babylon 2 to make :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 6, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

David Finch is so bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bane isn't just strong, he's supposed to be as good a fighter as Batman but stronger, and his equal in the willpower department, and not too shabby of a planner either. He's basically an Anti-Batman in a lot of ways. And he was the one who kicked Batman's rear end, but it's way unclear if that still happened after all those reboots. I didn't read the story so I don't know if they just do a bad job of showing why he's a threat, but he's not supposed to just be a strong dude.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Sorry guys but I actually really dug this issue, and the whole arc in general.
I was a bit put off by the comic being a bunch of recaps but the final page made up for it. The narration and the final page were basically a testament of what Batman is, ie someone who will do anything to save people (with a tiny bit of a sidenote of a deathwish). The fight itself was brutal but when the whole comic was building up the idea that Batman purposely put himself in situations which would bring about certain death only to win in the end because others were counting on him it made sense. Yes the one punch (or headbut) was a bit anti-climatic but it made sense to the overall storyline (and everything that was mentioned in the first 15 or so pages of the comic. Batman should have died so many times, and he was in so many situations where he should have died, just as he should have died at Bane's hands in the end, but his need to save Gotham Girl overrid all of that to the point where he couldn't just let go/give in.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Yeah. The issue ruled, and I really didn't mind Finch this time around. Tom King writes a really great Batman without trying to reinvent the wheel, or go into a deep look at the thematic and cultural roots of the wheel starting from the Paleolithic age.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Quick heads-up: today's Detective Comics spoils next week's All-Star Batman #9. So be warned.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ElNarez posted:

Quick heads-up: today's Detective Comics spoils next week's All-Star Batman #9. So be warned.

For concerned parties, doing my best to reveal the reveal without revealing much, because the reveal really doesn't reveal much: The only thing it spoils is that Ra's al Ghul is in All-Star Batman #9 and it takes place in Washington. I really don't think it's anything to be too concerned about.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Batman history question: when did the interpretation of Batman as an urban Ninja with plans for everything start? Who came up with that idea?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

fadam posted:

Batman history question: when did the interpretation of Batman as an urban Ninja with plans for everything start? Who came up with that idea?

You will not be surprised to learn that it was Frank Miller's fault. Although Grant Morrison really took the idea of the ultra-prepared "Batgod" to the next level in his JLA run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He became a ninja after this encounter.

• Locked thread