Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

No dogs no masters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Namtab posted:

That wouldn't be particularly good if he's at the rear end end of the southern routes like Portsmouth.

You'd have to be a particular masochist to go to Portsmouth with Southern as they only do a slow service that goes like a hundred miles down the coast.

However I now know two people who formerly commuted on Southern (from Brighton and Crawley) who have now actually moved house just to escape their bullshit. I wonder if that's an actual trend or just an anomaly - imagine the fun the Mail could have with LOONY LEFTY STRIKERS HURT HOUSE PRICES. If they could only fit asylum seekers or cancer in there they could close the paper down knowing they'd never surpass it.

(The first guy actually attributes the breakdown of his marriage to Southern, he claims was so stressed by the commute he started going to the pub every night just to ease the pain of going to London Bridge..)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

TomViolence posted:

No dogs no masters.

The tragedy, the tragedy of the man

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You'd have to be a particular masochist to go to Portsmouth with Southern as they only do a slow service that goes like a hundred miles down the coast.

:unsmigghh:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Namtab posted:

All the alternatives like.....

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Zephro posted:

No one thinks that, this is a false dichotomy. Missing a week of school is not going to ruin your education. If people really thought it would they'd hire one-to-one tutors for intensive catch up every time a child was sick. And they wouldn't have rules requiring children to stay at home when they have colds or mild illnesses, because if their futures literally depended on it the correct thing to do would be to force them into school even when they were sick.

The whole thing is basically stupid. Headteacher discretion is literally the perfect way to manage this. There's no need to use the massively blunt instrument of the law.

My experience of school was people with money going on holiday at all. I never got to go. That was the case with quite a few of us.
It was another marker of privilege and something the rich kids used to make fun of poor kids with. Like having expensive trainers (the only non-uniform thing we could wear) was.

So it does work the other way as well.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

TomViolence posted:

No dogs no masters.

There is a dog in your avatar. Thank you for following the dog rule.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

jBrereton posted:

It's nothing like homeschooling and everything like taking a week off work. End of the day it's not like the time spent away for any reason is irreperably lost. Kids will ask what they missed, and people will tell them the 10 pages they need to read to keep up with their massive 3 hours of English lessons they missed etc.

I agree with leaving it up to headteachers, but this analogy is pretty flawed. School moves on, work doesn't. Taking a couple of weeks off school can easily result in kids missing a big chunk of important stuff that won't be revisited. And teachers don't have the time to set, mark and police catch-up work for a group of 35 kids when at least one of them is probably missing school at any given moment. They don't have time to do what they do now.

The proper solution of course is to invest in schools, reduce teacher workload and class sizes and maybe they'd be able to help kids catch up. But at the moment pretending kids who miss school will be helped through and extra material will be covered is just a fantasy.

Edit: Also Taear has a good point. The really poor kids don't holiday at all, and I distinctly remember feeling bad at school that my better off peers not only got a holiday but they got to skip school as well.

jabby fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 6, 2017

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm glad that my boycott ended the dog policy but unlike some boycott organisers I cannot take credit for this victory. The victory is yours, not mine.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Pissflaps posted:

Then pay the fare?

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you, the middle class.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

R. Guyovich posted:

There is a dog in your avatar. Thank you for following the dog rule.

poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am in favour of unilateral redistribution.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pissflaps posted:

Do you think everyone should fare dodge?

yes

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think you should fare dodge in inverse proportion to your discretionary income.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Mister Adequate posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you, the middle class.

Nice classism.

Working class people aren't all fare dodgers.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

Nice classism.

Working class people aren't all fare dodgers.

That's true enough, some of them are class traitors.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

TomViolence posted:

You think people who pay their way are class traitors?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TomViolence posted:

How do you intend for the working classes who work in the rail industry to get paid if everyone fare dodges (keeping in mind that the government redistributing all income to everyone especially train drivers and making public transport either free or with only a nominal fee as in German Democratic Republic is quite unlikely)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Communism isn't about theft

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that working class people pay their way in the work they do so they shouldn't be expected to give their meager share back to some rich oval office for the privilege of being able to go to work.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

jBrereton posted:

How do you intend for the working classes who work in the rail industry to get paid if everyone fare dodges (keeping in mind that the government redistributing all income to everyone especially train drivers and making public transport either free or with only a nominal fee as in German Democratic Republic is quite unlikely)

i bet it would be more likely if everyone fare dodged

vvvv fun fact - we had the first commercial maglev train in the world, then we dusted our hands, said "welp we're done now" and walked away from railways forever

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 6, 2017

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

British Rail's hover-train patents weren't all they were cracked up to be.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

jBrereton posted:

I was implying Pissflaps is a class traitor, not every other poor sod that pays to go on public transport. Pissflaps was advancing the idea that in order to be a proper, morally upstanding specimen you have to "pay your way" regardless of individual circumstances, which is a damaging and reactionary myth that we could all do without.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I wonder what pissflaps' opinion on poll tax dodgers is

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

TomViolence posted:

I was implying Pissflaps is a class traitor, not every other poor sod that pays to go on public transport. Pissflaps was advancing the idea that in order to be a proper, morally upstanding specimen you have to "pay your way" regardless of individual circumstances, which is a damaging and reactionary myth that we could all do without.

And you're implying that everyone that fare dodges does so because they're unable to pay their fare.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just because you can give your well earned compensation back to the rich doesn't mean you should.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Trains in the east are pretty useless too. The missus and I took a train from Norwich to Cambridge the other weekend, it had just 2 carriages and it was rammed as gently caress, hot and smelly. My partner did actually complain and got a response- they were terribly sorry for running a pathetic service, but it was either that or nothing. Actually "nothing" would have been the better option for us as we would have driven instead and wouldn't have had to spend 30 quid on train fares. (In case anyone wants to point out how expensive parking in Cambridge is, you don't actually have to park in the centre of a city to visit it)

But hey they said they'd send us some vouchers or something. Maybe useful if they're valid for tube journeys..?

I remember few years ago I tweeted something about seeing lots of people being caught out on my train without a ticket, and got retweeted by some horrendous scumbag account called "scrote catcher" which was basically dedicated to finding people who were tweeting about skipping fares and things like that, and then doxxing them and informing their employers if they could. Nearly always teenagers, shop workers. Yet, when George Osborne was found in 1st class without the right ticket, not a peep. As you can tell this typically Tory classist hypocrisy bullshit has really stuck in my mind!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

I think that working class people pay their way in the work they do so they shouldn't be expected to give their meager share back to some rich oval office for the privilege of being able to go to work.

I'm going to try this one next time I visit the petrol station.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you could nick petrol I would be fine with that also.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

To be fair there's no quick route to Portsmouth. The SWT route takes the thick end of two hours to go from Waterloo to Portsmouth Harbour.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Train companies should reinvest their obscene profits into infrastructure, or else charge less

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Taear posted:

My experience of school was people with money going on holiday at all. I never got to go. That was the case with quite a few of us.
It was another marker of privilege and something the rich kids used to make fun of poor kids with. Like having expensive trainers (the only non-uniform thing we could wear) was.

So it does work the other way as well.
It absolutely does, but forcing kids to only ever go on holiday in a few given weeks makes it even harder for poor families, because the cost of flights and accommodation can be triple (or more) in holidays what it is in term-time.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

If you could nick petrol I would be fine with that also.

1: Fill tank
2: Drive off

Pretty easy really. Actually easier than paying for it, in fact.

I mean you may want to take a few precautions, from modifying your plates so as to make them unreadable by CCTV to buying one of these - a hefty up-front cost, to be sure, but it'll pay for itself after like ten tanks.

(Note that I don't think you should steal petrol, I'm pointing out the silliness of posts like this)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well I mean obviously you can nick petrol but it seems ill advised to try it with regularity on your route to work and given that you're on camera doing it, and the station will notice very quickly that you did it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
The correct way to nick petrol is to siphon it out of a car that's posher than yours

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Or you can buy a diesel and use red diesel that has been filtered through cat litter (may not work with new red diesel).

Or waste vegetable oil that has been filtered through a filter, which has the bonus of being legal (may not work with fancy new diesels).

goddamnedtwisto posted:

British Rail's hover-train patents weren't all they were cracked up to be.
Norries are like the Ayn Rand Railroad system, except when they're on a collision course they stop and everyone helps disassemble the least laden one rather than the richest bastard buying a full train and murdering all the other uses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvwwp2941yE

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Seaside Loafer posted:

I am an idiot and haven't really understood all the Ken Livingstone stuff.

My understanding is this:

a) He said that prior to murdering almost all of the German Jews Hitler had a plan to deport them all to an Island. I thought that was in fact true.
b) He got bollocked for being insensitive which is understandable.
c) He said it again because it is in fact true and has been fired.

Does that sum it up?

Btw I agree that the stupid fucker should just shut up but as far as I know he is actually right.

e: this was the island thing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madagascar_Plan and looking at it its a bit impractical and they wanted to run it as big fuckoff police state and slave labour thing so ... i dunno someone explain it all to me if you have the time because im lost

quoting a post from ages ago, but no-one replied directly.
the mistake you've made is taking the one factual point (relating to Haavara agreement) out of Livingstone's mess and seen that it's correct, then generalised that into everything he said "is in fact true". Not your fault, he's been deliberately encouraging that by repeatedly coming out with the "all I said was…" line.
but that's not all he said. he spun a lot of conclusions out of that point, which you'd have a hard time finding any twentieth century historian to agree with.

david baddiel explains this a lot better https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/06/ken-livingstone-hitler-zionism-jews

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Seaside Loafer posted:

You should watch out for those, whenever I see that going down I just dont get a ticket at all and am well happy with having done Southern out of a few quid.

The Thameslink, Southern and Great Northern franchise is run as a management contract, where the company are paid a fee to provide the service and DfT collect the fare revenue, unlike other national rail franchises where the train operating company take fare revenue and return a franchise payment to DfT.
So ticket dodging has absolutely zero effect on Southern.

you have been owned by Govia

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
This is a bloody crying shame if ever there was one: https://www.ft.com/content/adb040ce-1959-11e7-a53d-df09f373be87

quote:

Landlords are selling parts of their buy-to-let portfolios to pay down mortgage debts as the imminent loss of a valuable tax relief makes highly leveraged properties less viable, property experts said.
As the new tax year dawns on Thursday, the government will begin its phased withdrawal of higher-rate tax relief on mortgage interest for buy-to-let, one of a series of measures designed to curb the growth of the amateur landlord market.
The restriction will be brought in over the four years to April 2020, after which landlords will no longer be able to deduct their mortgage interest costs when working out their taxable profits. Instead, they will have to pay tax on their total income including all rent, before claiming a “tax reduction” of 20 per cent.
Stephen Johnson, managing director of commercial lending at Shawbrook Bank, said there was growing evidence of borrowers selling properties to reduce their mortgage debts.
“Quite a popular route is to sell down some of the portfolio to pay down debt elsewhere, and potentially sell some of the lower yielding properties. That means areas like London and the south-east and certain types of properties, such as family homes rather than apartments or flats,” he said.
Research published on Thursday found 10 per cent of landlords were planning to reduce their portfolios, while 21 per cent would sell all of their rental properties. In the survey of 382 landlords by Axa, 40 per cent of owners said they would be worse off after the changes.
Landlords’ ability to boost profits by increasing rents had proved constrained in a transparent and competitive rental market. “There are only so many levers you can pull as a landlord and there’s only so much you can move rents,” Mr Johnson said.
A major selloff could push house prices down quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

quote:

In the survey of 382 landlords by Axa, 40 per cent of owners said they would be worse off after the changes.

Hmm it's not quite a hanging but I'll take it

• Locked thread