Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Real life adult priorities took over and she's busy with other, more important stuff than recording videogames for internet strangers. It happens, nothing mysterious about it.

Thank you for responding to a concern I didn't have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

Did she do any of the sequels?

She also played through DS2 but I remember not enjoying it as much as the DS1 playthrough. It might've just been that I was tired of everyone talking poo poo about DS2 all the time ("B-TEAM :byodood:") but I got the feeling that she complained a lot and didn't enjoy herself nearly as much as when playing DS1. Her DS3 playthrough started absolutely fantastically, she actually noticed a certain place way in the distance amidst the clouds as soon as she got the binoculars, but unfortunately adult stuff and real life priorities got in the way the playthrough getting off the ground.

She also did a Zelda 1 playthrough that I enjoyed, drawing her own map on paper and everything :3:

Uncle w Benefits posted:

This video was made just for you https://youtu.be/yRQ0VxMVnGU

I was thinking more https://youtu.be/0la5DBtOVNI

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Gologle posted:

I've assumed for the longest time that the gods and humans actually aren't primordially different from each other, and the only thing separating them is that humans collectively hold the dark soul and Gwyn, holding the light soul, shared it with all the people he liked, creating the gods.

Yeah that's the impression I got from DS1. In IRL feudalism a king makes a knight by granting him a title, in Dark Souls Gwyn makes knights by granting them a little bit of his Lord Soul.

I was thinking about this. The fantasy genre grows out of mythology and religion, so here in the west, the fantasy macrocosm is usually a heaven for the forces of good and a hell for the forces of evil. You see that in Narnia and LOTR all the way up to Diablo and Elder Scrolls. Japan is more like ancient greece in how they imagine these things-- heaven is ONLY for the gods, hell is like a detention period for humans between death and reincarnation.

So you might naturally identify more with hell and think, well, at least it's for us. (Pure Land kind of fucks up the oversimplified point i'm making here but even that might take you a thousand lifetimes to get to, it's not an either/or thing like Christian heaven/hell) That's what I think of when I think of the Abyss. It looks kind of lovely compared to being alive, but it makes sense that Gwyn would be scared by it because puny humans can handle it but his big badass knights turn septic and die just from setting foot there.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
How does nito fit into that?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SHISHKABOB posted:

He's the best at skeletons :skeltal:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

quote:

Then, from the Dark, They came
And found the Souls of Lords within the flame.

Nito, the first of the dead
The Witch of Izalith, and her daughters of chaos
Gwyn, the Lord of Sunlight, and his faithful knights
And the furtive pygmy, so easily forgotten

The intro cinematic does seem to suggest that they all came from the same place, the Dark.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SHISHKABOB posted:

Nito's a cool dude who just wanted to relax but he wasn't very good at setting up his covenant, some loser stole his stuff, then you murdered him. Jerk.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Nito's a cool dude who just wanted to relax but he wasn't very good at setting up his covenant, some loser stole his stuff, then you murdered him. Jerk.

Well what I meant was most of the Gods are kind of human looking from the start, but Nito is a big pile of skeletons.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Maybe he was just a regular-looking dude who died (first) and got skeletonized. And then he liked his new skeleton self so much that he started gathering other skeletons and adorning himself with them, eventually ending up looking like we're used to seeing him :skeltal:

Maybe the skeletons are the "second of the dead" and "third of the dead" and so forth and they all hang (:haw:) out together and tell each other skeleton puns. Don't mock my headcanon!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There should have been a really old skeleton undead npc.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Y'know that is one thing I've never understood about the lore. Why are some undead rad skeletons instead of lovely zombies?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Internet Kraken posted:

Y'know that is one thing I've never understood about the lore. Why are some undead rad skeletons instead of lovely zombies?

Not everyone who dies gets the undead curse. Presumably the majority of people on whatever Dark Souls' world is called just die normally. Skeletons that have been raised from the dead et al probably don't have THE undead curse, but A curse that keeps bringing them back.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah they're not undead (i.e. resurrected through the undead curse) they're just... dead. Like Nito was called the First of the Dead whatever that means.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Maybe the skeletons are the "second of the dead" and "third of the dead" and so forth and they all hang (:haw:) out together and tell each other skeleton puns. Don't mock my headcanon!

Maybe they use "of the dead" in the way the people of the Souls world use "of <homeland>" and his name was "First" until he became Nito? :v:

Just wait till they meet Shaun.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

I think there's a difference between undead and Undead. Skeletons are just reanimated with ~necromantic magic~ while all us zombies are capital U Undead and never get to experience the joy of becoming a skeleman.

The slave knight set says "They grew decrepit, their skin charred black and their bones twisted." and it sounds like Undead (aka. hollows) just get more and more hosed up instead of decomposing.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Why did the people who died in New Londo turn into spooky ghosts instead of rotting undead or cool skeletons?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wonder what Dark Souls' world is actually called. We hear tell of so many different places we've never seen or heard anything about past some flavor text, and yet the world itself doesn't have a name. Maybe it's too scattered for people to agree on one.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

Why did the people who died in New Londo turn into spooky ghosts instead of rotting undead or cool skeletons?

:iiam:

e: as for a serious reply, presumably the same reason ghosts appear in other mythologies. Resentment, anger, betrayal, not being able to "let go". You can still see the piles of bodies from the massacre that occurred, and I guess the people weren't happy that their Kings sold them out.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 6, 2017

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

SHISHKABOB posted:

Well what I meant was most of the Gods are kind of human looking from the start, but Nito is a big pile of skeletons.

I guess he was the first guy to ever die, after the Age of Fire started at least? I like to think they brought him back to life by giving him a lord soul and just decided not to mention that he was skeletonized already

swamp waste posted:

The fantasy genre grows out of mythology and religion,

This is not related to the point I was making but you can really see this in Don Quixote, during the scene where the priest and the barber are deciding which of his chivalry books to burn. All the titles are cloaked in Christian imagery but it's obvious that the learned men consider them all silly fantasy. It's like parents throwing away their kids' xbox games or something

quote:

The first that Master Nicholas put into his hand was "Las Almas Oscuras." "This seems a mysterious thing," said the curate, "for, as I have heard say, this was the first Souls game printed in Spain, and from this all the others derive their birth and origin; so it seems to me that we ought inexorably to condemn it to the flames as the founder of so vile a sect."

"Nay, sir," said the barber, "I too, have heard say that this is the best of all the games of this kind that have been coded, and so, as something singular in its line, it ought to be pardoned."

"True," said the curate; "and for that reason let its life be spared for the present. Let us see that other which is next to it."

"It is," said the barber, "the 'Almas Oscuras II,' the lawful son of the first."

"Then verily," said the curate, "the merit of the father must not be put down to the account of the son, for Soul Memory has proved the undoing of many an excellent knight. Take it, mistress housekeeper; open the window and fling it into the yard and lay the foundation of the pile for the bonfire we are to make."

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jordbo posted:

The only streamers I watch are Peeve Peeverson and Lobos Jr, mostly because they seem like genuine nice people and seem to be having a fun time playing! Peeve does mostly PvP, but goes for fun "roleplaying" builds and never gets frustrated or angry, which is kinda unique for a PvP streamer really

I've tried watching other streamers, but it's mostly grumpy young men getting angry at video games, calling other player sluts and bitches for doing bad in the super serious PvP experience Dark Souls

edit: but yeah, Lobos does scream obscenities and doesn't really seem to care about appearing inappropriate at all - and I guess he doesn't have to since he's getting rich playing video games

If you're looking for a similar PVP streamer to watch I'd recommend checking out Juutas1988. He has the same sort of chill attitude as Peeve albeit with a bit more posturing/poo poo-talking.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Augus posted:

Undead and skeletons are a result of either the curse or necromancy - an outside hand is involved in their re-animation. The New Londo ghosts, like any ghost, are more of just "we died in a hosed up way and now can't pass on and/or are pissed off and want vengeance."

E: New Londo probably got flooded before the Curse of the Undead showed up, as well.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 6, 2017

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

There should have been a really old skeleton undead npc.

There's the smith in the catacombs, but he doesn't say much.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

E: New Londo probably got flooded before the Curse of the Undead showed up, as well.

I thought they flooded New Londo in order to stop the Abyss from advancing, which would mean that the light was dying out and the undead curse had already kicked in right? Or does the curse only show up once Gwynn decides to link the fire using the firekeepers?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Basebf555 posted:

I thought they flooded New Londo in order to stop the Abyss from advancing, which would mean that the light was dying out and the undead curse had already kicked in right? Or does the curse only show up once Gwynn decides to link the fire using the firekeepers?

I think both. The Abyss is the bastardized Age of Dark that's still trying to make itself happen but 'unnaturally'. Also it came to New Londo so the Gods nuked the site from orbit as best they could. Only way to be sure.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 6, 2017

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

I think the darkwraiths and kaathe are like what bombadililioio said. I don't think that the undead curse was caused by the abyss or vice versa.

I'm gonna bet that the primordial serpents were around from the beginning, like the dragons and the trees.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 6, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

SHISHKABOB posted:

I think the darkwraiths and kaathe are like what bombadililioio said. I don't think that the undead curse was caused by the abyss or vice versa.

I'm gonna bet that the primordial serpents were around from the beginning, like the dragons and the trees.

Even so, I think by the time the Abyss had overtaken New Londo the undead curse had already kicked in. I thought the curse started showing up basically right away as soon as the age of fire began to fade.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Uncle w Benefits posted:

This video was made just for you https://youtu.be/yRQ0VxMVnGU

Thank you Unc w Benefits

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I just assumed the abyss has always sorta been around, it's not expressly linked to the fading of the fire - Oolacile seems like an example of this, and also what would have happened if they didn't flood New Londo... also, apparently the New Londo abyss lines up with the chasm of the abyss, based on how Darkroot and Oolacile line up.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Pyros that are using Demon's Scar - are you mainhanding it and putting a shield or some other item offhand? Or just replacing your offhand pyromancer flame and mainhanding another weapon?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mainhanding with shield

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
All humans are capital-U Undead in their true form. The interference of the Age of Fire is what allows humans to truly die. There's probably some unforseen consequence of this that the series never fully explains involving their residual Humanity, the Abyss, and the like, but I dunno what that is. The "curse of the undead" crops up whenever the flames grow weak, and is more of a symptom of Fire being too weak to let people die "normally."

This comes up a lot in Dark 1 where people like the Firekeeper at Firelink believe that linking the fire will "end the undead curse" and allow them to die. By Dark 2 most hollows know there is no hope to die and everyone will just lose their minds, and Vendrick has figured out that hollowing is the natural state of humanity. In Dark 3 it seems like people rarely die normally anymore as the Londor Pilgrims like Yoel seem desperate to die and be released from undeath and almost everyone else is a hollow; the fact that Yoel can die by assisting a Champion of Ash is curious, as are the Angels/Pilgrim Butterflies that Pilgrims can ascend into.

It seems like the First Flame can allow a human to experience the false gift of life so completely that they get to die permanently too, but there's probably some nefarious bullshit going on there like your soul/Humanity fueling the Fire to keep it going. By Dark 3 dying seems to be harder than not dying, which certainly explains how the world is falling to ruin since you have conflicts like the civil war in Lothric that would probably never end if everyone were undead.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Some of the freakin minibosses in this game are harder to beat than some of the regular bosses. LIke the irithyll guy guarding the entrance to the road of sacrifices. Oh my god, gently caress that guy. And gently caress the stupid rat monster dog thing at the entrance to irithyll on that bridge. The knight seems to be able to swing his loving sword five million times in a row without stopping.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SHISHKABOB posted:

Some of the freakin minibosses in this game are harder to beat than some of the regular bosses. LIke the irithyll guy guarding the entrance to the road of sacrifices. Oh my god, gently caress that guy. And gently caress the stupid rat monster dog thing at the entrance to irithyll on that bridge. The knight seems to be able to swing his loving sword five million times in a row without stopping.

:agreed:

Although (like everything) they were a total joke on my UGS run. Both the "totally-not-ripped-from-Berserk" pontiff beasts and the freaky catspiders, two things I've struggled with in basically all of my runs (especially those drat pontiff beasts, probably the most BS enemies in the series) were super easy with the UGS; one or two hits to the head to stagger them, visceral attack to finish them off.

Big heavy weapons are the new God tier. :getin:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I was thinking about this the other night and the irythill knight chillin' by the road of sacrifices is the perfect example of how DS3 is tedious rather than challenging

As a veteran DS1 and DS2 player, I literally had to get killed by that guy multiple times before I got his timings down, and when I pulled it off I didn't feel good about it. I was just like "yep that sure was some trial and error gameplay right there"

I usually like trial and error gameplay mind you

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

RatHat posted:

So Crucifix of the Mad King might be kinda good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jla4o4XIDPQ

I'm really surprised that it's buffable. Makes it a lot more viable that otherwise would be.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

:agreed:

Although (like everything) they were a total joke on my UGS run. Both the "totally-not-ripped-from-Berserk" pontiff beasts and the freaky catspiders, two things I've struggled with in basically all of my runs (especially those drat pontiff beasts, probably the most BS enemies in the series) were super easy with the UGS; one or two hits to the head to stagger them, visceral attack to finish them off.

Big heavy weapons are the new God tier. :getin:

The catspiders are actually the one I can deal with. Though they are also the most terrifying.

KingSlime posted:

I was thinking about this the other night and the irythill knight chillin' by the road of sacrifices is the perfect example of how DS3 is tedious rather than challenging

As a veteran DS1 and DS2 player, I literally had to get killed by that guy multiple times before I got his timings down, and when I pulled it off I didn't feel good about it. I was just like "yep that sure was some trial and error gameplay right there"

I usually like trial and error gameplay mind you

Yeah it's a real chore to run over there too.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

It sounds like when someone dies their souls are released, but that's just like your ki or some poo poo. The energy everyone has. But humanity persists. Humans never truly die but are reincanated (so the gods can never really be rid of them.) So they are instead contained with the dark sign, the ring of fire. But the linking of the flame messes with the fire of the dark signs. Humanity doesn't leave the corpse and just stand back up when they develop enough souls to. This unnatural event causes something to go wrong with the humanity. Based on mechanics I would guess some leaks out? And it's replaced by the other unnaturally occurring humanity laying around. This incestuous slurry of conciousness causes the long term hollowing as the self is lost in some vague collective consciousness.
Perhaps the abyss is where the humanity was traped when the dark sign worked correctly, preventing reincarnation. This connection to the abyss causes the muddling of humanity in the undead

Also did I already say the humanity puzzle implies the gunk in that area is human dregs?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

SHISHKABOB posted:

Now that you mention it, I remember running past the guy first and locking myself into the opening door animation just in time, right before he struck me with his cool ice sword. I then lit the bonfire outside and went back in to deal with him.

If this is the intended "solution," then that's lovely because I didn't feel clever, rather it felt that I cheesed the poo poo out of that encounter because I didn't want to bother running back after my inevitable death to a new enemy type. I didn't even know there was a bonfire so close, I was just going to book it to the nearest one I could find

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

How significant are the wonky infusions at the moment? I was intending to try some sort of faith build with lightning infusions, but I'm getting some cold feet now that the patch kinda messed with 'em. Alternatively, is it ever even worth going through NG with a primarily caster-stat based build? My general impression is that spells mostly shine as something you get after settling on your physical damage attributes, as a latter-half of game thing and NG+ and beyond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SHISHKABOB posted:

That outrider knight is one of the monsters I have no problem running past, even though I'm a "must kill every enemy" type player. The door and the bonfire is right there, and you're invincible while opening the door so I just run past him, open the door, sit at the bonfire and then fight him if I feel like it.

I agree that he's one of the worst DS3 enemies though, but still not as bad as the pus of man enemies in terms of "literally just flailing and hitboxes everywhere".