Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
Right on the money:
Head - Watering can
Mouth - Sand Castle Pail
Shoulders - Sand Castle Mold
Body either:
1. Industrial Square Bellowed Toilet Plunger
2. 80s 6v flashlight
3. 3d printed madness

I have a picture of him off with a buddy who collects flashlights, but I think I am going to go the toilet plunger for the first round. I got lucky with my Gypsy eye/Servo Shoulder light at a fleamarket a few years ago, but there are only so many of these things out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

PostNouveau posted:

Oh looks like they had a new bot at the beginning of it. "Waverly"

https://www.facebook.com/mysterysciencetheater3000/videos/1271219182925473/

Crow does sound similar enough that it should be nearly seamless. I'm going to have an adjustment period with Servo, though, for sure. Kevin's voice is just magical, and even though the new guy sounds alright I'm still going to miss him. But it sounds like he's got the singing chops, so that'll help.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I feel bad for Baron Vaughn. He's a much stronger comedian than the guy doing Crow's voice and fans just keep making GBS threads on him more than any other aspect of the reboot just because he wasn't born with deeper vocal chords.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
I thought they were rather funny, and am looking forward to the new season. The giggling really sold it for me, too. :)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Racket Girls is one of my favorite episodes because the movie is so goofy and pretty much every riff is hilarious. Then you have the added treat of a great short and the rare time the host segments are about the short instead of the movie.

"When Ed Wood saw this movie, it was like when Truffaut saw Citizen Kane"

Also, Peaches is a genuine delight.

Franchescanado posted:

I feel bad for Baron Vaughn. He's a much stronger comedian than the guy doing Crow's voice and fans just keep making GBS threads on him more than any other aspect of the reboot just because he wasn't born with deeper vocal chords.

Fans are the worst.

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 6, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Or because his puppet got more flexible arms

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
tbh I think Baron was the perfect choice from that video. He has the nebbish intellectual tone of Servo down perfectly.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

'Puppet wranglers'? There were no puppets in this movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

Seriously, who the gently caress cares? Why are people bitching about more articulate puppets? No one's upset that Crow's arms move now.

It's weird that fans seem to only complain about the puppet who's puppeteer is the show's first black person, and I don't want to think they're related...

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

It's weird that fans seem to only complain about the puppet who's puppeteer is the show's first black person, and I don't want to think they're related...

I get this and I'm sure there's some truth to it but to play Devil's Advocate (more like Angel's Advocate) I think it partially has to do with Tom being the most consistent character in MST3k. Kevin has been Tom from season 2(?) and all through when MST3k was on cable. And I think Kevin has a harder voice to copy and he was known for his voice and singing. So I can understand that there might be more scrutiny of Tom. Though I'm sure on some level it's the puppet who's puppeteer is the show's first black person...

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Ape of Naples posted:

I get this and I'm sure there's some truth to it but to play Devil's Advocate (more like Angel's Advocate) I think it partially has to do with Tom being the most consistent character in MST3k. Kevin has been Tom from season 2(?) and all through when MST3k was on cable. And I think Kevin has a harder voice to copy and he was known for his voice and singing. So I can understand that there might be more scrutiny of Tom. Though I'm sure on some level it's the puppet who's puppeteer is the show's first black person...

I agree, it's mainly the Kevin legacy defining the character, and then the fact that original fans of the show are so set in their opinions that they were always going to be critical, but the spoiler'd stuff is still a lingering afterthought that's concerning and hard for me to ignore, since no one seems to be bitching about the Crow changes or Gypsy changes.

I try to think the best of people, though, even if they're being sperg-lords over plastic robot puppets. It's just annoying since Baron is arguably the 2nd best part of the reboot for me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

Seriously, who the gently caress cares? Why are people bitching about more articulate puppets? No one's upset that Crow's arms move now.

As an aside, the voice actors aren't doing the puppeteering. I can't find the article I read that talked about it, but they're using some technique where they kinda follow along with the puppeteers' movements from offscreen.

EDIT: Oh here it is, I was a bit off. They do control the mouths, but overall puppeteering is now a team effort:

http://nerdist.com/mystery-science-theater-3000-jonah-ray-baron-vaughn-hampton-yount-mst3k/

quote:

Following the recording of the actual riffs, Jonah and the puppeteers headed into the silhouette stage for a week of acting out visual gags and movements along with the already-synced audio jokes. That’s another way to speed up the process, they said; the robots now have two separate puppeteers, one working the physical body of the puppet and Yount and Vaughn with an RC car remote moving the mouth so they only have to worry about the vocal performance.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 6, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

As an aside, the voice actors aren't doing the puppeteering. I can't find the article I read that talked about it, but they're using some technique where they kinda follow along with the puppeteers' movements from offscreen.

EDIT: Oh here it is, I was a bit off. They do control the mouths, but overall puppeteering is now a team effort:

http://nerdist.com/mystery-science-theater-3000-jonah-ray-baron-vaughn-hampton-yount-mst3k/

That's fantastic. I've always been fascinated with the actual process of filming the show.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
That press conference was the funniest thing, gently caress.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Kind of like Crow, Baron's Tom strikes me as somewhere between Kevin and Josh. (Though oddly while I'm used to Josh's voice now from Cinematic Titanic, it still feels weird whenever I happen to hear it come out of Tom.)

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Tom and Crow's voices are sounding pretty good! I was hesitant about Tom at first because the cadence wasn't quite there when they introduced Vaughn, but the press conference has relieved me of my doubt.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think what will help with the voices is that everything will be different. Each voice won't feel as unfamiliar in the new setting as oppose to, say, Bill as Crow.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Finally getting to the video now. These guys have it down. Baron Vaughn nails Servo's sort of affable pretentiousness (and he channels Kevin just enough with the way he really relishes his filled pauses and over-pronounces some of his consonants). Even when he sings, which he seems to love doing, he sounds just a tad Murphy-y. Hampton Yount has Crow's manic excitement. I'm surprised people think he's in between - he seems way more Trace both in terms of personality and voice to me.

They feel younger, which makes sense (they are!) and they're a lot more chatty, but that's clearly because this was improvised. I'm not really judging the material because the set up for this thing was sort of weird, but you can tell they have good chemistry together and have a sense of what makes the show so charming.

And yeah, Baron seems like an amazing improviser.

I can't believe my almost 20 year off-the-air show is coming back and that they may have found a way to update it enough to keep it alive while keeping its weird, undefinable charm.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Totally fine with the voices. Puppet movement tho... having their arms (kind of) work is neat, but I worry it's at the expense of Crow's independent eye movement. Servo also seemed to turn his entire body as opposed to just his head.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

tbh I think Baron was the perfect choice from that video. He has the nebbish intellectual tone of Servo down perfectly.

Yeah, they both have a really good handle on the characters, and played well off of each other. That's like 90% of the job right there.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Just started watching the press conference.

I'm converted. Tom Servo sounds great.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
I LIKE TOM SERVOS NEW VOICE

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
I have mixed feelings

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ballz posted:

Totally fine with the voices. Puppet movement tho... having their arms (kind of) work is neat, but I worry it's at the expense of Crow's independent eye movement. Servo also seemed to turn his entire body as opposed to just his head.

That may just be because it was Facebook, so they didn't have the same ability to hide the puppeteers as they do when shooting the real show.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Ballz posted:

Crows eye movement is internal, so if they lost that it is because of the radio controlled mouth instead of the arm movement. He is operated similar to a rod/hand puppet (aka Muppet), with one arm moving the body and eyes, the other handling the hands. At the bottom of his main control rod there is a small paddle (looks like a Popsicle stick) which is attached to an inner rod, that goes through his entire body that controls the eyes.

Servo had to be glued together for his head to not move, it is literally on a lazy susan bearing. Even with the Radio controlled mouth it would not make sense to stop his head from moving, since it is 1inch PVC going up to the gumball machine.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
So that Facebook conference was completely improvised? I'm really impressed by how well they have the characters' personalities down, and they have great chemistry.

Baron did seem a little subdued compared to the previous Servos, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, and I know from seeing his standup that he'll be able to pull off the theatrical/hammy side of Servo when it counts. Plus the guy's natural speaking voice just isn't as "big" as Kevin's or Josh's, and it's hard to fault him for that.

Hampton is instantly and completely recognizable as Crow, though. Wow.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I'm so happy this is coming back. For some reason, though I have always very much enjoyed Rifftrax, the added layer of the the riffers being a put upon kidnappee and some makeshift robots trapped in space makes the whole deal just that much more enjoyable. I need my movies to be made fun of in character dammit.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I am more psyched than I was for ep VII.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Just watched the fb vid. Yup, Hampton is definitely got crow nailed while doing his own thing subtly. I do like Tom Servos new voice though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mace Bacon posted:

I LIKE TOM SERVOS NEW VOICE

Also his new personality. People are going to take a minute or two to warm up to him, but I bet that by the second sketch, he's the new favorite.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

They're gonna love Southern Belle Servo, I just know it.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Joel posted:

Our exclusive BACKER PREVIEW SCREENING of EXPERIMENT 1101 is this Sunday, April 9!
See backer updates for details.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

ringu0 posted:

See backer updates for details.

The key details: episode unlocks for streaming for backers at midnight pacific time on the 9th, official simulwatch is at 2 PM pacific (5 PM eastern, 9 PM GMT), followed by live Q&A at 3:45.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Horrors of Spider Island is great. I love the opening skit, Crow's really funny in it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Watching Daddy-O. This is a slog. :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

The Horrors of Spider Island is great. I love the opening skit, Crow's really funny in it.

The bit where Mike is recreating the opening is pretty fun. Especially how they use perspective to make it look like his legs are twenty feet long.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

Watching Daddy-O. This is a slog. :(

Imagine it as the Fast and the Furious 1950's and it is better.

Also I watched the press conference and it was great. I like Tom Servo and Crow. Although if you read the rolling chat at the bottom of the video one guy keeps saying "I HATE THE NEW VOICES" "THEY ARE KILLING MST3K" every now and then. It's kinda funny actually.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Franchescanado posted:

I didn't know anything at all about him including his name; the only ones I have even heard of before are Felicia and Patton. Even now after reading the thread I can't come up with the name of Crow's voice off the top of my head.

I just really liked Kevin! But I'm sure I will adjust, it'll just take a bit.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

CommaToes posted:

Imagine it as the Fast and the Furious 1950's and it is better.

Also I watched the press conference and it was great. I like Tom Servo and Crow. Although if you read the rolling chat at the bottom of the video one guy keeps saying "I HATE THE NEW VOICES" "THEY ARE KILLING MST3K" every now and then. It's kinda funny actually.

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/850117426461130753

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So Bridget and Mary Jo are still trucking along doing their own riff stuff and this week they released their own version of Angel's Revenge.