Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I read Desperation as my first King book around that age and loved it.

Eyes of the Dragon is fun too.

I second these. I'd also throw in From A Buick 8, just for the character interactions, which is really King's specialty and what that book is made of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

This drat thread got me re-reading The (pre-revision) Gunslinger last night. drat what a weird, enchanting little book.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Tommyknockers was my first King book (at around 12 maybe?) and I heartily recommend it.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

ConfusedUs posted:

I spent probably an hour talking about King's novels with my 13-year old yesterday. He saw my collection and was asking me all kinds of questions.

It's obvious he wants to read some of them.

What are your suggestions for the best King novel to start with for a 13-year-old boy?

i started with 'salem's lot when i was 12 or 13. the answer is 'salems lot

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the shining

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
but for real skeleton crew.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
It really depends on the 13-year old. I'd say Misery is a good place to start because it's a fairly simple story, there isn't a ton of subtext that's vital to appreciating it. (Not implying your 13 year old is dumb, but when I was 13 I definitely wouldn't have been as drawn to books like The Shining)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Misery is great, I loved it at 16, but I also skipped all the romance sections, which is exactly what I would do if I were 13.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Franchescanado posted:

Misery is great, I loved it at 16, but I also skipped all the romance sections, which is exactly what I would do if I were 13.

What romance sections?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

What romance sections?

Those involving Misery.

Unless that's the joke and I'm being thick.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
So we've effectively recommended every Stephen King book.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Well not Rage or Lisey's Story or Cell, but that's for good reasons.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Ruin your son's life and get him to read The Dark Tower book 7 first.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Ruin your son's life and get him to read The Dark Tower book 7 first.

Nah if I wanted to ruin his life I'd start with Dreamcatcher.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ConfusedUs posted:

Nah if I wanted to ruin his life I'd start with Dreamcatcher.

Look, man, we don't want to have to call CPS, so don't even joke about that.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I read IT at 13 back in 1999, and it didn't gently caress me up too much.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ornamented Death posted:

Look, man, we don't want to have to call CPS, so don't even joke about that.

Nah if I wanted CPS involved I'd give him Song of Susannah

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ConfusedUs posted:

Nah if I wanted CPS involved I'd give him Song of Susannah

Nothing in Song is as stupid as a man dying solely because he just had to pick a toothpick up off of the bathroom floor while a shitweasel was trying to bust out of the toilet to eat him.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Try Gerald's Game for CPS involvement.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Salem's Lot, Skeleton Crew, Christine, Misery

E: Long Walk

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 7, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ConfusedUs posted:

Nah if I wanted CPS involved I'd give him

Rage. Can't believe nobody's mentioned Rage.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I did. 9 posts ago. On this exact page

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Franchescanado posted:

Why do you think that?

Probably mostly nostalgia but I was about 13 when I read it for the first time and I think it's a good length where it doesn't wear itself out like lots of his longer works and gets to the story quick but still does a good job of fleshing out the characters. It's a strange premise and interesting enough to hold a young readers attention especially the time travel aspect as they start to figure it all out. Also the concept of a monster that eats the world to get rid of the past was the coolest thing to me.

As I said lots of this is my own experience as a teen reading it and it should not be taken as gospel.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
No, that's cool, it was just a really unique choice among the others, like if someone said "Oh, he should read Joyland".

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
You know, King does villains really well. And I think some of his best are the opportunistic ones. I've just got done with THE MIST and Carmody is so utterly insipid, despite the fact King doesn't do all that much with her. He doesn't actually have to. It's sort of fascinating. She doesn't change as a character; in the pre-mist life she seems pretty much the same in the glimpse you get from her, but she only gains power when the people around her get to be more desperate. She mentions sacrificing someone almost immediately (And as David says, even knowing what he knows now he tries to pretend she didn't mean a person, though its clear that's exactly what she had in mind) and is dismissed for it - that guy slaps her across the face - but it's only by the second day that she turns people around to her thinking.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

DrVenkman posted:

You know, King does villains really well. And I think some of his best are the opportunistic ones. I've just got done with THE MIST and Carmody is so utterly insipid, despite the fact King doesn't do all that much with her. He doesn't actually have to. It's sort of fascinating. She doesn't change as a character; in the pre-mist life she seems pretty much the same in the glimpse you get from her, but she only gains power when the people around her get to be more desperate. She mentions sacrificing someone almost immediately (And as David says, even knowing what he knows now he tries to pretend she didn't mean a person, though its clear that's exactly what she had in mind) and is dismissed for it - that guy slaps her across the face - but it's only by the second day that she turns people around to her thinking.

Yeah she scared me more than the awesome monsters in that story. Ugh.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Oh, Carmody gets me physically angry, but I've met that type of person several times throughout my life and they are terrible.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i dont remember how it is in the novella but in the movie she's right about absolutely everything

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah. Agreed. Mrs Carmody in the film is just shown as a normal woman who is turned by circumstances into a bad woman. Wrong interpretation. King wrote Mrs Carmody as a malignant person with evil in her heart for years. Once the mist came, she relished being able to use a situation to justify her beliefs, exact revenge and to exert control over people. Sometimes it is important to have a nuanced, complex character, sometimes a story needs a monster who just happens to be a human being. And that latter is Mrs Carmody as she is in the novel and it's perfect for the story.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DrVenkman posted:

It's kind of similar to Storm of the Century that way. The dad just kind of has this feeling he knows who the sacrifice is supposed to be and will not tolerate that kind of "reasoning" in the face of unstoppable evil.

The movie version ends a little twisty w/r/t interpretation. Not so the story.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i dont remember how it is in the novella but in the movie she's right about absolutely everything

No she's not.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

504 posted:

No she's not.

shes not right but her predictions were all accurate

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I'll also go with Night Shift and Firestarter for the 13 year old Stephen King Starter Kit. If you can read Night Shift and not love at least half or two thirds of the stories in there, King is just not the writer for you.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

We're going with IT. I wonder if he'll talk about the gangbang lol

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

We're going with IT. I wonder if he'll talk about the gangbang lol

And then show him this thread.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

scary ghost dog posted:

Well one was, by blind luck though.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

scary ghost dog posted:

which makes her right

she's the hero of the story, and she's martyred for it

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 9, 2017

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
She's not right just because she claims something will cause something else to happen and then that thing happens.

"I think God will punish us as a people if we don't exterminate the gays, see 9/11 happened"

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
every one of her prophecies comes true, up to and including the sacrifice of the child.

the movie anticipates that you're going to come to it from a secular/atheist, liberal worldview, and works subtly to undermine that. we're given two competing explanations for the phenomenon of the mist: 'an experiment went wrong' and 'god wills it as retribution'. rooted in the aforementioned worldview, you seize upon the former despite the fact that it's just as vague as the latter (and nearly as unsubstantiated: all we have to support it is the testimony of a terrified kid being threatened by a mob. that's the kind of 'evidence' on which witch trials were based).

ditto carmody's prophecies. you dismiss all of them as the rantings of a lunatic, because the liberal worldview holds the christian evangelical up as its boogyman, its exact antithesis: shrill rather than calm, regressive rather than progressive, restrictive rather than permissive, and so on. you cheer her death as you would that of a villain, and after the movie ends exactly the way she said it would you continue to dismiss everything she said - because, of course, we know the mist is because of a government experiment, we know it's just a coincidence that all of her prophecies (every one of them) came true, we know it's just luck that we're explicitly shown her being spared by the bug-monsters (the only one who is), etc.

you know all of that because of your external (to the film) worldview, but there is absolutely nothing in the film which supports those beliefs, and quite a bit which undermines them.

thats the scariest part of the mist. it's not the monsters, it's that the boogeyman of liberals is right, and everyone else is wrong.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I haven't seen the movie but that sounds bad