Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I can't believe this meta loving gimmick has become a genuine face turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Buenos Dias, I can't believe it!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

:lol:

This is hilarious

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I can't believe how over El Vagabundo was, that's amazing.

His exit isn't exactly as good as Bo's, but it was still a fun segment.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Losing a Loser Leaves Town match and sneaking back in under a masked gimmick is the best wrestling trope

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Benne posted:

Losing a Loser Leaves Town match and sneaking back in under a masked gimmick is the best wrestling trope

If only he'd had his head shaved and shown up in a wig as well :allears:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If he somehow pulled off a shirt to reveal another shirt underneath, it would truly be the best thing.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Jerusalem posted:

If only he'd had his head shaved and shown up in a wig as well :allears:

it's hosed up that nxt hasn't had a hair match since enzo vs sylvester lefort

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I love how he was wearing a Dragon Lee mask

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

it's hosed up that nxt hasn't had a hair match since enzo vs sylvester lefort

Is it bad that I'm genuinely sad they never followed through on the Phantom of Full Sail gimmick with Marcus Louis? :shobon:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Jerusalem posted:

Is it bad that I'm genuinely sad they never followed through on the Phantom of Full Sail gimmick with Marcus Louis? :shobon:

history has shown that it was almost certainly the right move to cut those guys but I really appreciated them when I first started watching NXT

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Heavy Machinery's new finisher owns.

Jerusalem posted:

This was before I started watching NXT so... what?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No Irish Need Imply posted:

This was before I started watching NXT so... what?

Marcus Louis was a French wrestler who got shaved bald when his partner lost a hair vs hair match and ran away, leaving Louis to take the punishment instead. Louis snapped and had a crazyman angle going for awhile. On one episode during a match (I think it was Tyler Breeze in the ring?) in the distant background you could see a deranged Louis staring through the curtains on an upper level. They specifically referenced it on the show, showed a replay and highlighted Louis. It looked like they were going to do an obsessed crazyman gimmick with him ala The Phantom of the Opera, but then it basically didn't go anywhere and he was eventually fired.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

As a workrate/hard-hitting wrestleguy kind of person I feel like I should love Oney Lorcan but for some reason dude just doesn't do it for me. His stuff in-ring isn't so amazing that it overcomes his total lack of any kind of personality or angle.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Tbf the guy just started showing up regularly

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Marcus Louis was a French wrestler who got shaved bald when his partner lost a hair vs hair match and ran away, leaving Louis to take the punishment instead. Louis snapped and had a crazyman angle going for awhile. On one episode during a match (I think it was Tyler Breeze in the ring?) in the distant background you could see a deranged Louis staring through the curtains on an upper level. They specifically referenced it on the show, showed a replay and highlighted Louis. It looked like they were going to do an obsessed crazyman gimmick with him ala The Phantom of the Opera, but then it basically didn't go anywhere and he was eventually fired.

Also worth noting bald Marcus Louis would beat up jobbers while just repeatedly screaming YOU DID THIS TO ME like he always saw LeFort (his partner) instead. He sounded/looked crazy enough that it was honestly kinda creepy.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I quite enjoyed greasy French Macho Man impersonator manager Sebastian Lefort and his legionnaires, which included baby Rusev at one time.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Marcus Louis didn't come into the picture for a little while, Lefort's random rear end sublime stable was Rusev and Scott Dawson. Rusev got called up and Dawson got injured before coming back with Wilder as The Mechanics

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Meltzer's Takeover Orlando star ratings

Sanity vs Tye Dillinger & Roderick Strong & Kassius Ohno & Ruby Riot ***1/4
Aleister Black vs Andrade Cien Almas ***1/4
Authors of Pain vs Revival vs DIY ****½
Asuka vs Ember Moon ****1/4
Bobby Roode vs Shinsuke Nakamura ****½

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 7, 2017

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

achillesforever6 posted:

I love how he was wearing a Dragon Lee mask

volador jr

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Meltzer's Takeover Orlando star ratings

Sanity vs Tye Dillinger & Roderick Strong & Kassius Ohno & Ruby Riot ***1/4
Aleister Black vs Andrade Cien Almas ***1/4
Authors of Pain vs Revival vs RIY ****½
Asuka vs Ember Moon ****1/4
Bobby Roode vs Shinsuke Nakamura ****½

Meltzer always seems to think the tag matches are on the same level as the main events, when I've been thinking The Revival have been blowing away the main event since Takeover Dallas.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Meltzer likes slow, plodding Roode matches much more than anyone here, it seems.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Roode vs Nakamura was really good.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Go RV! posted:

Meltzer likes slow, plodding Roode matches much more than anyone here, it seems.

I enjoyed that match a lot. Also, it had a lot of psychology and a Japanese person, so he was going to love it.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Nakamura Roode was way less plodding than Seth vs HHH and they didn't even need to add any gimmicks.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I don't think I've disliked any match Roode has had in NXT that I've seen.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

The_Rob posted:

Roode vs Nakamura was really good.
Yeah

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Junpei Hyde posted:

I don't think I've disliked any match Roode has had in NXT that I've seen.

Yeah I'm the same way. He's been good in every match and is pretty much perfect as the heel champ right now.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I liked both Roode/Nakamura matches, I just feel the tag match has been the match of the night in every Takeover for the past year and Meltzer has always put them below main events that I thought were a step below, not just the Roode/Nakamura matches but the Joe/Nakamura and Joe/Balor matches too.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Was that the overly keen security guard from Wrestlemania ARMBAR at the end there?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Maybe I need to go back and watch it again, cause I just thought it was just Fine.

Though I might have had different expectations or been tired out considering how good everything else was, especially the tag.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Baron Corbyn posted:

I liked both Roode/Nakamura matches, I just feel the tag match has been the match of the night in every Takeover for the past year and Meltzer has always put them below main events that I thought were a step below, not just the Roode/Nakamura matches but the Joe/Nakamura and Joe/Balor matches too.

Dave just seems to really like old school NWA style matches, and the Roode/Nakamura matches have had a lot of that kind of psychology

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Junpei Hyde posted:

Dave just seems to really like old school NWA style matches, and the Roode/Nakamura matches have had a lot of that kind of psychology

Yeah and I think that's the mindset you have to go into Roode matches with. You're never going to see big spot fests with him, but you will see a good smart match with a lot of good psychology.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Got my Takeover ticket, can't wait!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

The next Takeover is announced as May 20th, shorter turnaround time than normal, especially with the mens belt needing a new challenger. Womens belt is justified for a rematch in story, but I don't know what they do about tag belts if Ciampa needs surgery. Heavy Machinery vs. AoP? Can the ring handle it?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I saw that front row Takeover tickets went on sale for $1,000. That seems mighty expensive for NXT, even for a Takeover

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

If Ciampas out Gargano should go for the belt

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Junpei Hyde posted:

I also think that a main event singles match with a serious presentation will always have the most potential for a high score from him because that is the very core of wrestling. It's why I think the whole "5* in Japan" thing happens. Japanese promotions are better at presenting a match as a serious contest so they get that extra bump in ratings. It has nothing to do with geography and everything to do with presentation style.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I'm calling shenanigans on this episode of NXT. The commentators are talking as though Takeover had already happened, but these matches were filmed on Saturday night BEFORE Takeover!

This whole business is all smoke and mirrors!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

The_Rob posted:

Yeah and I think that's the mindset you have to go into Roode matches with. You're never going to see big spot fests with him, but you will see a good smart match with a lot of good psychology.
It's both good and why HHH loves him.

• Locked thread