Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Oh, right, it's the very first thing in that post :doh:

Anyway, I don't think you can just leave the HQ chilling behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

I still don't understand a shitload of rules so I can't say otherwise. can't break out the ruler right now but I'd hope you could just keep them stationary with orders that send the troops <8" away (?) and then have them return. maybe others will clarify - and it's not my call anyway I'm just talking

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

oystertoadfish posted:

I still don't understand a shitload of rules so I can't say otherwise. can't break out the ruler right now but I'd hope you could just keep them stationary with orders that send the troops <8" away (?) and then have them return. maybe others will clarify - and it's not my call anyway I'm just talking

Nope, everybody has to move. You could potentially move them 1" along a trench, but if chits get further than 8" from them you've got a problem.

Keep in mind command chits are low priority so they're usually only vulnerable if most your other chits have died.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Added Space posted:

Yeah, that's it, thank you. This will hopefully take advantage of the "suppressed units are automatically killed" rule.

Suppressed companies are only automatically killed in close combat; any other kind of attack needs to roll well enough for a second suppression in order to kill it.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Added Space posted:

Nope, everybody has to move. You could potentially move them 1" along a trench, but if chits get further than 8" from them you've got a problem.

Keep in mind command chits are low priority so they're usually only vulnerable if most your other chits have died.

I'd be more worried about them getting hit in the head by indirect artillery then targeted for rifle fire. but I suppose they could move up in the trench line. anyway I'll just shut up and learn about it

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

:siren: Orders :siren:

Ikasuhito
Sorry, it's just hold again.

Added Space
Please adopt a tight west-facing defensive position centered on where the bulk of your brigade is right now. Push out a rifle chit towards the crossroads to your south as an observation post in case they try to sneak by.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Orders : Keep on walking.

Fathis Munk posted:

1. Get your poo poo together you wimps.

2. Time to go for a walk. Follow the road until Chemin Creux then leave the road and head towards Taillis Nord. Cross the woods and climb the hill to see if anything is hiding up there. Proceed to the ferme chatte and check if the cowardly English are hidden there

3. If you have not found anything, get into marching formation and get onto the road, follow it until Stethoscope then head north and west to get back towards the Foret d'Effyadiers.

Standing Orders
When sighting an enemy in attack stance, Turn and move directly towards enemy.
When attacking the enemy, Launch a bayonet charge
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, Pursue
Break off automatically at 3/4 casualties

Battle Formation

Attempt to maintain Battle Formation :

I'll be around on phone during the day tomorrow so I can amend stuff if needed.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Hey sniper, concentrate your fire even more and march it along the trenches rather than just 2x everywhere twice. Especially with the hostile arty positions. 3hits x4 spaces x2 rounds is pretty much going to kill all the chits under it way better than 2 hits x6 spaces x2 rounds as units recover suppression between rounds.

Alternatively do the 2x like you have but then drop another fire chit in the middle so it hits both spaces, 2x hits is not enough to guarantee a kill and we really really want kills.

Finally if you are going for suppression rather than kills instead of all in on the central trenches try also suppress the guys in the two small ones as we advance, we can't see poo poo but we think those small ones are from 4-6 chits digging in.

Saros fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 6, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Internet in my area is extremely slow this morning so I can't check in much.

aphid_licker posted:

:siren: Orders :siren:

Ikasuhito
Sorry, it's just hold again.

Added Space
Please adopt a tight west-facing defensive position centered on where the bulk of your brigade is right now. Push out a rifle chit towards the crossroads to your south as an observation post in case they try to sneak by.

If a brigade comes down the road towards Added space, will Ikasuhito's brigade fire on it?

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Jaguars! posted:

Internet in my area is extremely slow this morning so I can't check in much.

If a brigade comes down the road towards Added space, will Ikasuhito's brigade fire on it?

If they come down the road my guys to the south should all be able to see them but I think only my MG will be able to shoot.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Oh and PLEASE someone scout our old River bridge​ position in the south, I'm pretty sure that due to timing the guys we chased off by CC were there and now those positions should be empty with the trench I built earlier ready for occupation.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Saros posted:

Oh and PLEASE someone scout our old River bridge​ position in the south, I'm pretty sure that due to timing the guys we chased off by CC were there and now those positions should be empty with the trench I built earlier ready for occupation.

Good idea. How about it added? :v:

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Ikasuhito posted:

Good idea. How about it added? :v:

Yeah, that was my plan. I was going to dig some trenches, then sweep forward if nothing attacks me to try to secure the southern bridge.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

We should use half the new division to sweep towards the river in the south and then dig in our saddest brigade remnants in sight range of the crossings while the new division moves on to cross the river in the north to expand the bridgehead there. Between the two brigades we've wiped with favorable exchange rates we should have an advantage that we can exploit once we have a few troops to play around with that are not essential to keep eyes on what we already have. Please don't gamble with the only thing we have covering the south.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Digging takes longer than a whole update though.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Saros posted:

Digging takes longer than a whole update though.

Some of us can plan for more than one update. :colbert:

quote:

We should use half the new division to sweep towards the river in the south and then dig in our saddest brigade remnants in sight range of the crossings while the new division moves on to cross the river in the north to expand the bridgehead there. Between the two brigades we've wiped with favorable exchange rates we should have an advantage that we can exploit once we have a few troops to play around with that are not essential to keep eyes on what we already have. Please don't gamble with the only thing we have covering the south.

I think we should push in the south. The northern brigades are fatigued and not good for much more than defense. They've also had time to rim the forest with trenches and wire.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 6, 2017

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Edit: playing around with new plots

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Whichever route our new div is going to push we want to start digging jump off points and arty pits now.

P.s. someone has to do engineers for me.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Saros posted:

Whichever route our new div is going to push we want to start digging jump off points and arty pits now.

P.s. someone has to do engineers for me.

I'll do it since you covered for me last round.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I work on a very simple principle. I won't attack unless I have 2:1 odds. If possible, I'll stack them even more. The basic unit of opposition is a brigade, so you need two at near full strength. Eventually we might advance in the south but this turn in particular, anything diluting the artillery support is something that won't happen. You have some support fire available for emergencies but that's it.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Not sure if that was directed at me but scouting the likely empty south trenches is not some suicide mission especially since you can just put one company ahead 6'' or so with orders to retreat the bde if they take fire.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Added Space posted:

I'll do it since you covered for me last round.

A few have current missions so check those before giving new orders.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Saros posted:

Not sure if that was directed at me but scouting the likely empty south trenches is not some suicide mission especially since you can just put one company ahead 6'' or so with orders to retreat the bde if they take fire.

Well, if
A) it doesn't compromise the stated goal of the 4th division and
B) Orders are written well enough to work as promised

then it's none of my business since it's a division level task and therefore Aphid_licker's decision.

In my personal opinion, it could be arranged for next turn when you're more likely to have the undivided support of a full arty battery.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Jaguars! posted:

I work on a very simple principle. I won't attack unless I have 2:1 odds. If possible, I'll stack them even more. The basic unit of opposition is a brigade, so you need two at near full strength. Eventually we might advance in the south but this turn in particular, anything diluting the artillery support is something that won't happen. You have some support fire available for emergencies but that's it.

I might love you

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

One thing further, and this is important. I'm thinking that Saros' and Steinrokkan could break contact on turn 30 instead of turn 31. This has a few advantages:

-It gives an extra turn for the brigades to extricate themselves if things go wrong.
-Friendly suppressed units get an extra turn to recover and rejoin their brigades.
-An extra turn of movement makes it harder to pinpoint where we're disappearing to, especially for Steinrokkan's brigade.

The only real con is that you'll cause less enemy casualties with one less round of shooting.

I'm going to delegate (or pass the buck, if you like) this decision to you two, weigh up the pros and cons, just as long as both have the same orders, I'm easy with either way.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 7, 2017

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

I think the issue of making it hard to see where we've gone after we fall back is an important one. the more ambiguity in their artillery guy's head next update the better. leaving one turn early is probably as granular as we can get in trying to effect that, unless somebody with a better brain than me has a better idea

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Should I also write orders for Saros's brigade? If I understand the Corps intent it should do a flash raid on the central trenches.

Reorganize in this formation and dig in. Fill in any reinforcements along the sunken road.

Defend
Do not pursue
Use rifles
Fight to the last man

Southern cav: Finish trench digging and ride for the southeast corner of Stethoscope. Follow the southeast road across the bridge, inspecting the phone wires and repairing any damage. Return to Stethoscope after inspecting the bridge or if enemy forces are within 16".

Northern Cav: Finish the top gunpits, move to assist the infantry in completing the bottom gunpits, and if time allows and no enemies are within 12" go add more barb wire to the south forest.

Northern inf: Continue with previous orders, clearing the barb wire and digging gunpits.

Southern inf: Continue digging a new trench line.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 7, 2017

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
So flash poll of the commanders involved, which would be more conducive to your assault.

Plan A

Current Plan - 2 Turns

Plan B

1 Turn

1 Turn

More along the lines of what Saros suggested. I've got no objections to the latter, just want to be sure I'm firing in the most efficient manner.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i suppose a disadvantage of plan b is that it leaves half the enemy relatively free to fire during the initial charge. i think i'd take the advantages over that, though - it should kill more chits.

the enemy can be assumed to be on orders to stand and not pursue, right? unless, of course, we happen to rout the enemy between the attack and the initial barrage - but that's not something we should plan around

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

oystertoadfish posted:

i suppose a disadvantage of plan b is that it leaves half the enemy relatively free to fire during the initial charge. i think i'd take the advantages over that, though - it should kill more chits.

the enemy can be assumed to be on orders to stand and not pursue, right? unless, of course, we happen to rout the enemy between the attack and the initial barrage - but that's not something we should plan around

That trade off is why Plan A was my Plan A, considering my initial orders.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

hmm, my gut feel is plan B, less people to fight overall is better but I don't know anything about artillery mechanics. We are allowed to multi-stack the fire, right?

Do you have control over where the heavies are firing? would be good to focus them to guarantee kills in the most important places.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
e: orders superceded

Added Space fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 7, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Steinrokkan's troops are going to be coming down where your left hand troops are. The left hand trenches are his responsibility, you are massing as much firepower as possible near the right hand ones. You also need to set standing orders.

Edit: per roll20, a.s is done for the night but Saros or others can tweak as appropriate.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 7, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Added Space posted:

Hold until turn 26.

On turn 27 adopt the following formation and fire on enemy trenches.

On turn 30 return to initial positions.

Maintain movement
Use Rifles
Do not pursue
Retreat at half casualties

Push them further south but more than 8'' from BdB so you can see into more of the target trenches. Those small trenches to the west also have BEF in them. If the fighting is successful you could also leave infantry pickets in the taken trenches for spotting.

Also your orders for the north cab have them moving into sight of all the BEF in those small trench in central so they will be shot. Finally let south cav finish digging as well, we are going to need those trenches for guards div arty.

Saros fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 7, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Will leaving pickets violate the 'all companies have to move at once' rule?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Just a small question before I start drawing things - IIRC the sighting range out of forests has been extended to go a bit deeper than the outermost layer. What about firing range? Can a unit an inch or two away from the edge fire unrestricted? Been trying to find confirmation, but this may be faster and more certain.

E: Per this image it appears that yes, companies can fire from inside forest, as two MGs were eligible to fire.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 7, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Chits within 1" of the edge of the woods can see out. Chits are 50mm wide, I think. Edit: I think units can generally fire at anything they spot that's in range

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Apr 7, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Just a small question before I start drawing things - IIRC the sighting range out of forests has been extended to go a bit deeper than the outermost layer. What about firing range? Can a unit an inch or two away from the edge fire unrestricted? Been trying to find confirmation, but this may be faster and more certain.

E: Per this image it appears that yes, companies can fire from inside forest, as two MGs were eligible to fire.

Oh god I had suppressed the memory of that happening

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hold the fort.
Standing orders
When attacking the enemy,Rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, Do not pursue
Break off automatically at 2/3 casualties - we want to keep a HQ to reinforce, right?

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Since it looks like my orders are still "sit tight" I shall continue to...

Sit tight

• Locked thread