Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Are they doing that to keep their K/D ratio?

Games really should punish that poo poo. If you alt-f4 at less than 10% health it should count as a loss and you get the "whiny piss baby" tag added to your name for 30 days as a warning to others.

Just checked a few screenshots of the game and, wow, it really is. And may I just say, about damned time!

Dungeon Keeper was so much fun.

I remember once, in DK2, a massive hero invasion had just penetrated my outer walls and I was completely unable to stop it because Diso Inferno had just started playing and every single one of my minions was disco daning their evil little hearts out.

It's even got the same narrator voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

Are they doing that to keep their K/D ratio?

Games really should punish that poo poo. If you alt-f4 at less than 10% health it should count as a loss and you get the "whiny piss baby" tag added to your name for 30 days as a warning to others.

Planetside 2 they do something like this, if you get hit and disconnect from the game in any way it considers it a kill. Also if you try to use the /suicide command or kill yourself in other ways it'll give your attacker the kill. Not only would people alt f4 when they were about to die but people, pilots especially, would intentionally kill themselves to deny the kill.

Its hilarious we live in a time where people will intentionally slam their plane into the edge of a cliff just to deny you the kill cause players are just that petty.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Leal posted:

Planetside 2 they do something like this, if you get hit and disconnect from the game in any way it considers it a kill. Also if you try to use the /suicide command or kill yourself in other ways it'll give your attacker the kill. Not only would people alt f4 when they were about to die but people, pilots especially, would intentionally kill themselves to deny the kill.

Its hilarious we live in a time where people will intentionally slam their plane into the edge of a cliff just to deny you the kill cause players are just that petty.
Did they ever curb Chariots or did they just keep giving into them and the TR faction?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Croccers posted:

Did they ever curb Chariots or did they just keep giving into them and the TR faction?

You know how pilots had to choose if they wanted total stealth or the ability to auto repair after not taking damage?

Well now if they fly as an engineer they automatically repair their vehicle after not taking damage for a few seconds. And last I played this didn't happen with other vehicles, just the air vehicles.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The Grumpy Caretaker in Persona 5 is a major heterosexual too. Don't you forget it.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Leal posted:

You know how pilots had to choose if they wanted total stealth or the ability to auto repair after not taking damage?
loving cripes no.
I think I jumped ship (:v:) around the time they released the first round of faction specific launchers and did a few 'balance' passes. Where you needed a least half a dozen of the dedicated Anti-Air turret option for your light-tank that left it extremely vulnerable to everything (even still including air craft) to even scratch and scare away career pilot, and most of them would just casually fly away to repair if you managed to do any damage to them anyway.
The rockets btw:
NC got a short-ranged fly-by-wire, easily shot down one.
Vanu got a piss-weak but near-instant hit cool looking laser beam. You needed about 3-5 people with them to actually be a threat to a tank/air.
TR got a swarm lock-on launcher.

But what put me off most about the game was the lack of transferable characters. The AU server pretty much died but if I wanted to play on US I had to start all over again grinding from the bottom up.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
My favorite little thing in Planetside 2 is The Lancer. It is the faction specific anti vehicle weapon for the Vanu Sovereignty, a max range, laser accurate, near instant hit particle accelerator cannon. Individually, the low DPS makes it nearly useless, anyone you hit with it will have plenty of time to get to cover, or simply hop out of their vehicle and repair it until you run out of ammo.

The fun starts when you get 5 or 6 people with Lancers coordinating their fire and insta gibbing tanks from the edge of render range. Whenever we saw an enemy faction try to push a mass of tanks through a choke point, the Vanu Goon squad would drop two dozen Lancers on top of a mountain and melt them into slag.

Hearing goons on one of the rival factions complaining about being "Vaporized by particle accelerators the moment you stick your nose out" always gave me a warm feeling inside.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I've been playing Watch_Dogs 2 lately, myself, and it's been quite enjoyable. I disabled the online because I just want to go about the city at my own pace, and so I've been going and collecting research points and cash and whatnot. The puzzle of figuring out how to get to those goals has felt a little more entertaining than in the first, and I like that the circuit-completion element now requires more interaction with the real in-game world at times - I had to move a couple cars, for instance, to access some junctions that were otherwise preventing me from progressing.

And of course the personalities of the main crew make it feel a lot warmer than the overall gloom of the previous game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
That's reminded me of something on a possibly-similar note: I've been loving how fun just moving is in Breath of the Wild, how there really is a lot of interaction with even just the open world at all. I've described it all to friends as 'getting lost in extremely enjoyable ways', because I have no idea where I'm going or what I'm doing, but it's so much fun just trying.

I spent like half an hour at one point trying to scale a mountain that at that point I wasn't actually aware was the outer wall of Zora's Domain, only to end up in a field on the other end that was a full half a region from anywhere I actually knew. If I did that in Skyrim (and I'm actually pretty sure I did at one point), that would be at best a prelude to actual enjoyment, the introduction I'd tell before an actual story. But BotW's climbing and gliding mechanics are so strong that just that travel was engaging and fun.

EDIT: Also, tons of the landmarks are references to older Zelda games that they're very happy to get obscure with, which also adds to it. Just surrounding Zora's Domain alone are lakes referencing characters from Majora's Mask, and geographic features with names borrowed from Link's Awakening and Oracle of Seasons. Nobody references Oracle of Seasons, except for these fuckin' guys.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 11:22 on Apr 6, 2017

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

2house2fly posted:

I'm not buying a Switch because I don't plan to play it in handheld mode but if you keep it docked all the time it warps so eventually my console would just curl up on itself like something out of of Uzumaki

Actually the things usually come curled from being in the box. It's not from the dock, It's a manufacturing defect.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mokinokaro posted:

Actually the things usually come curled from being in the box. It's not from the dock, It's a manufacturing defect.

What's this about the Switch curling?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Curly Switch is my gay cage fighter alter ego

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What's this about the Switch curling?

Some switchs are getting warped because the heat warps the plastic. Or as LL puts it, could be a manufacturing defect.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Even after over a decade has passed since it was released, I still play Star Wars: Jedi Outcast/Academy because of the lightsaber combat and dueling multiple opponents

Leaping around cutting enemies to ribbons and throwing stormtroopers off cliffs is also quite fun and even to this day I still sometimes get bested by the AI

It also helps that the games are so easy to modify, so you can make it as hard or easy as you please by swapping a few numbers around in the files

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Vinylshadow posted:

Even after over a decade has passed since it was released, I still play Star Wars: Jedi Outcast/Academy because of the lightsaber combat and dueling multiple opponents

Leaping around cutting enemies to ribbons and throwing stormtroopers off cliffs is also quite fun and even to this day I still sometimes get bested by the AI

It also helps that the games are so easy to modify, so you can make it as hard or easy as you please by swapping a few numbers around in the files

These were such great games online and of course there was a serious rp community who only dueled ~with honour. Force choking people and throwing them across the level was hilarious.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016
It's a travesty that we haven't seen another Jedi Knight game.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Len posted:

It's even got the same narrator voice

And a whole new and seemingly wider array of random comedy messages, delivered more enthusiastically this time. The narrator went for more bombast this time around. I don't think I've heard more than a couple of them more than once this time around.

"Your mother called to thank you for the flowers. You're welcome, Underlord."

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

This isn't quite little, as it's the main crux of the game, but the story in Horizon: Zero Dawn is fantastic. It has quite possibly the most depressing, oppressive apocalypse story I've ever seen, and yet at the same time it also manages to be extremely hopeful. They really did a fantastic job with the world building pun intended

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Some switchs are getting warped because the heat warps the plastic. Or as LL puts it, could be a manufacturing defect.

I mean however it happens it's definitely a manufacturing defect

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Croccers posted:

Winning/Losing really doesn't matter as much as it somehow did in WD1. Winning just gets you some extra EXP/$$$.

You still have to deal with people knowing all the perfect hiding spots though.

Do you also still have to deal with people cheating onto inaccessible rooftops? :v:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Neddy Seagoon posted:

In Persona 5 you take your talking cat with you everywhere. Even classes at school are spent with him tucked away on the shelf under your desk, because why not? :allears:.

He climbs up to look over your shoulder when you're talking to someone, shuffles around in your bag when you've got your menu open, and sticks his head out at all other times. More games need a little bag cat :3:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Morpheus posted:

He climbs up to look over your shoulder when you're talking to someone, shuffles around in your bag when you've got your menu open, and sticks his head out at all other times. More games need a little bag cat :3:

My favourite bit with Morgana so far is the little kid on the train coming over after spotting him in your bag and lying about him being a toy that meows when you push on its head. "Time to button-mash..."

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

John Murdoch posted:

Do you also still have to deal with people cheating onto inaccessible rooftops? :v:

Not that I've seen, but most people jump in their cars and shoot off 3000m away and then yank their cable. :v:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My favourite bit with Morgana so far is the little kid on the train coming over after spotting him in your bag and lying about him being a toy that meows when you push on its head. "Time to button-mash..."

I loved that part. Gentle, Hard, or....button mash.

patpatpatpatpatpatpatpatpatpatpatpatpatpat

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Kruller posted:

This isn't quite little, as it's the main crux of the game, but the story in Horizon: Zero Dawn is fantastic. It has quite possibly the most depressing, oppressive apocalypse story I've ever seen, and yet at the same time it also manages to be extremely hopeful. They really did a fantastic job with the world building pun intended

HZD has very quickly become a favourite game of mine. I think it's kind of a shame it's been overshadowed a little. Everything about it is just very satisfying for me. The combat is tight, the story is wonderful. I wasn't expecting such a lovely little bit of sci fi.

One of the collectibles is ancient coffee mugs. The guy you trade them in for a reward is convinced the ancients used them for ceremonial shaving. Little touches like that.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

2house2fly posted:

I mean however it happens it's definitely a manufacturing defect

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll fix it with the SwitchPlus SP XL in two years.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Drawn to Death is very much "Me at 16 years old" since the entire game revolves around stupid edgy characters a poo poo kid like me would have drawn while not paying attention in class. The entire aesthetic of the game is "Things that would make a punk-obsessed teenager laugh his rear end off" and it works so well. The announcer is this generic gravel-voiced dude that screams obscenities at you the entire time, and the game has more your-mom jokes than is probably healthy for the year 2017.

What I wanted to write about is the achievement list, the names have zero to do with what you actually do in-game and read like the inner monologue of me at that age:

I hate my stupid stepdad.
Oh @&!%, did I brush my teeth today?!?
I'm getting hungry.
Or maybe I'm just bored. I think that's it - I'm bored.
But I mean, why wouldn't I be? This class sucks so bad.
Maybe I'll say I need to go to the bathroom.
Then I'll just hide in a stall and watch videos till class ends.
Amy keeps looking at me and smiling. That's weird. I mean it's cool. But it's weird.
I wonder if she likes me. How amazing would THAT be?
Maybe she just feels sorry for me. Or maybe she's smiling at someone behind me?
Nope - there's a poster of Abraham Lincoln behind me. She could be smiling at the poster, I guess? That'd be so weird.
Actually, that would make me like her more. And to be clear, what I mean is, if she IS a little weird, I'd like that.
I wasn't saying I'd like her more if she wanted to get with Abe Lincoln. That'd be super gross cuz he's dead. And very tall.
Hooper's talking about college. Again. "So what are your plans for college, kids?" It's like everyday with this guy.
Why's he think we all want to go to college? Decades of student loan debt plus four more years in a classroom? No thanks.
I MIGHT. I mean, I may want to go. But maybe not. Who says that's the ONLY way to get where you're going?!
Not that I have ANY idea where I'm going. Alan says I need to come work at Magic Mouse this summer. Uhm, HELL no.
Maybe I'll go work at Viking Burger just to annoy him. But I really don't want to wear one of those Viking Horn Hats.
I wonder if I could get a job making art. Like after high school. I'd so love to make art for video games!
That's totally stupid and not happening. No one wants a game that looks like my art.
drat, I need to get some more songs on my phone. So tired of 'FEVER DREAMING'. I like it, but man I'm sick of it.
Not that I have any money to get new music, though. Hell, maybe I COULD wear that stupid Viking hat.
Okay, I just slammed into Amy in the hall and it's official: I need to man the hell up!
I was stammering and sweating and stuttering and just standing there. I have GOT to stop being such a dork around her.
When we collided she did get some of her homework mixed in with mind. So, I DO have a valid reason to text her now.
Wait, text?!? Ok so I'm 100% sure I've lost my drat testicles. I need to just TALK to her! I need to be @&!%ing brave.
Like those guys from the band on Mark's punk rock bootlegs. They have NO fear! I need to be like them!

And the Platinum:
I talked to Amy. For like an hour. Today was a good day. :)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

betamax hipster posted:

It's a travesty that we haven't seen another Jedi Knight game.
Good thing we got the Force Unleashed games where you're basically playing a guy with a colored baseball bat that can perform combos against enemies. With a Lightsaber.

gently caress Force Unleashed.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Away all Goats posted:

Good thing we got the Force Unleashed games where you're basically playing a guy with a colored baseball bat that can perform combos against enemies. With a Lightsaber.

gently caress Force Unleashed.

I have some vague memories of enjoying both of those, just having fun with throwing storm troopers around.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
the village tune in Nier: Automata is bangin'

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Black Velvetopia looks really really awesome in Psychonauts, the music is excellent and thematic, and the wrestler minibosses are awesome. Eagle is the best one.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

QuietLion posted:

Black Velvetopia looks really really awesome in Psychonauts, the music is excellent and thematic, and the wrestler minibosses are awesome. Eagle is the best one.

Normally doing the same boss battle four times in a row in rapid succession with only minor variations would be tedious, but Raz's stupid little victory dance made me look forward to each one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdOyBG-VK1c

Keigel
Oct 19, 2008

I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm made out of gum.
After much dilly-dallying, I finally unlocked the real estate mechanics in Yakuza 0. Cue story progress grinding to a halt as I obsessively buy up shops that earn me money, spend that money filling up little bars so that i earn even MORE money, then spending those profits buying new shops to fill the little bars of. Its scratching an itch i forget I have, and doing it very well.

But thats not even my favorite part:

When buying a business, Kiryu stands in front of it with a briefcase full of bills, shouting something like "I'll buy it...IN CASH!!!" and opening it dramatically to reveal his wealth.

He doesn't go inside. He doesn't talk to the owners or another agent. He is making this offer to the building itself. I don't think thats how real estate works; but then, Kiryu owns many buildings, and i own none. What do I know?

Kiryu Kazuma: Champion Realtor

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Action Tortoise posted:

the village tune in Nier: Automata is bangin'

The entire OST is amazing and I bought it because it is that good.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nuebot posted:

The entire OST is amazing and I bought it because it is that good.

BECOME AS GODS
BECOME AS GODS

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

haveblue posted:

BECOME AS GODS
BECOME AS GODS

:negative: the musical track for that's on the OST but not the vocals. The OST also only has Emil's Theme in Japanese. Five versions of Weight of the World though.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

haveblue posted:

BECOME AS GODS
BECOME AS GODS

One of those times where I just had to lower the voice and effect volumes to rock the music better. Good god that song was incredibly catchy. Although it really was just another song with a voice clip added to the beat but boy did it work

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
I prefer the THIS CANNOT CONTINUE version from earlier in the game myself, but to each their own.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Guy Mann posted:

Normally doing the same boss battle four times in a row in rapid succession with only minor variations would be tedious, but Raz's stupid little victory dance made me look forward to each one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdOyBG-VK1c
My favorite little part about that little part is that he steals the dance off of Bobby Zilch (the camp bully) in the first place. Early-ish in the first level, Bobby sucker punches him off a ledge and starts doing the dance. At the end of the level when Raz is riding the rails, Bobby'll try to knock you off, but if you punch him out of the way instead of dodging, Raz will start doing the dance as he rides to rail the rest of the way to the goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Somfin posted:

I prefer the THIS CANNOT CONTINUE version from earlier in the game myself, but to each their own.

you were right comparing n:a to megaman legends. it really feels like that if that game cast off its saturday morning anime tweeness, especially how all the machines have the same face just like the Reaverbots.