Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mkay0 posted:

On the other hand, factoring in the magnitude of it, Roman/Taker was arguably the worst match of all time. Wow.

I'm interested in hearing your argument. The first part of the match was really fun. The middle wasn't anything special but wasn't really that bad to me. The end (and that reversal botch) was bad but that hardly makes it the worst thing ever. Hell it wasn't even the worst match on the card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Another Person posted:

MOTYC - Randy Orton vs. Bray Wyatt Wrestlemania 33

Randy Orton travelled down Snake Way and then he fell into the Maggot Dimension. It loving owned.

2nd.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm interested in hearing your argument. The first part of the match was really fun. The middle wasn't anything special but wasn't really that bad to me. The end (and that reversal botch) was bad but that hardly makes it the worst thing ever. Hell it wasn't even the worst match on the card.

I notice you didn't factor the tude whatsoever. what the gently caress.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

IcePhoenix posted:

The guy who retired Undertaker should have been over. Roman wasn't. The entire thing felt flat. There were several botches, not just the tombstone, including the finish.

If the post-match happened after a four star match, then it would have been the greatest wrestling segment ever. Instead it was flat for me.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

even if it was a three star match it would've come off better. the fact that it was just a pretty bad match made the whole thing kinda depressing rather than bittersweet. i don't want to put too much on either guy because undertaker was clearly in a lot of pain and very limited in what he could do and roman was in over his head but it just wasn't very good. i think calling it one of the worst matches of the year is a bit much but i can understand people being upset in the context of it being the main event and undertaker's retirement match.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 3, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mkay0 posted:

The guy who retired Undertaker should have been over. Roman wasn't. The entire thing felt flat. There were several botches, not just the tombstone, including the finish.

If the post-match happened after a four star match, then it would have been the greatest wrestling segment ever. Instead it was flat for me.

Kinda flat = worst match ever, got it thanks

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
HM: Team Ospreay (Will Ospreay, Lio Rush, Drew Galloway, Ryan Smile, & Marty Scurll) vs Team Ricochet (Richocet, Jason Cade, Sami Callihan, AR Fox & Desmond Xavier) Wrestlecon 2017 3/31/17

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
A flat, lame, botchy match as literally the main event of Wrestlemania is pretty egregious, imo. It's like how that HHH/Orton match at 25 with the rushed finish and a tacked on DQ stip in a grudge feud was a bad match made way worse by being positioned last after HBK/Taker & Cena/Show/Edge.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cardboard Box posted:

even if it was a three star match it would've come off better. the fact that it was just a pretty bad match made the whole thing kinda depressing rather than bittersweet. i don't want to put too much on either guy because undertaker was clearly in a lot of pain and very limited in what he could do and roman was in over his head but it just wasn't very good. i think calling it one of the worst matches of the year is a bit much but i can understand people being upset in the context of it being the main event and undertaker's retirement match.

Context is a big consideration.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

MOTYC: Roman Reigns vs. Orlando's Crowd 4/3/17 Monday Night Raw*

By golly, it was a slobber knocker.

*credit to Sanguinia.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

MOTYC: Roman Reigns vs. Orlando's Crowd 4/3/17 Monday Night Raw*

By golly, it was a slobber knocker.

*credit to Sanguinia.

2nd

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Honorable Mentions
1. callihan/strickland vs. south pacific power trip - progress orlando
2. ricochet vs. keith lee - evolve 80
3. keith lee vs. donovan dijak - evolve 81
4. darby allin vs. ethan page - evolve 81
5. chris dickinson/jaka vs. south pacific power trip - wwn progress vs evolve
6. goldberg vs. brock lesnar - wrestlemania 33
7. joey janela vs. marty jannetty - gcw joey janela's spring break
8. dan severn vs. matt riddle - gcw joey janela's spring break
9. ach vs pete dunne - wwn progress vs evolve
10. allie bomb/braxton sutter vs. andy williams/penelope ford- gcw spring break
11. spring break clusterfuck - gcw spring break
12. nicole matthews vs. shotzi blackheart - shimmer orlando

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

MOTYC Bucks vs Hardys ladder mtach, ROH show before Wrestlemania

best match of the weekend tbh

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

MOTYC Bucks vs Hardys ladder mtach, ROH show before Wrestlemania

best match of the weekend tbh

yeah i just saw this last night and it was incredible, blew away the wrestlemania one

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Bucks ladder matches always deliver as far as I can remember

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm gonna third this or atleast its a shoe in for Promo of the year. It was absolutely perfect.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Nevermind

Senerio fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 3, 2017

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i finished watching nxt and roh and here are my things:

NXT Takeover
MOTYC: DIY vs The Revival vs Authors of Pain
HM: Shinsuke Nakamura vs Bobby Roode
HM: Asuka vs Ember Moon

ROH Supercard of Honor
MOTYC: The Young Bucks vs The Hardys
HM: Marty Scurll vs Adam Cole
HM: Jay Lethal vs Cody Rhodes
HM: Volador Jr & Will Ospreay vs Dragon Lee & Jay White

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
MOTYC: Io Shirai vs Christopher Daniels, Rowdy Ringsports Champ of the Month, 4/1/17-4/7/17

This is a close match that I'm buying every nearfall, and whichever of them wins, it will be a deserved win. (Still hoping for a tie).

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Senerio posted:

MOTYC: Io Shirai vs Christopher Daniels, Rowdy Ringsports Champ of the Month, 4/1/17-4/7/17

This is a close match that I'm buying every nearfall, and whichever of them wins, it will be a deserved win. (Still hoping for a tie).

Best match of mania weekend, and it's still going! 2nd

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

WMOTYC: Knockouts #1 Contender Gauntlet, Impact 04/07/17

The whole thing isn't online yet but the two minutes of it they put online are by far the best two minutes of the match
https://youtu.be/fuGiL-471ls

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
MOTYC

Reyes Del Aire, CMLL 4/7/17

Was the no doubt MOTY until the last minute. Sad!

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

MOTYC

2nd!!! It was really cool

Why did you not like the last minute? I really dont follow CMLL that carefully outside of the Anniversario show and their occasional appearances in NJPW / ROH stuff. I was sort of rooting for Volador because he was the only dude I really know well, does the guy who won suck?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

MOTYC

Nth

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

2nd!!! It was really cool

Why did you not like the last minute? I really dont follow CMLL that carefully outside of the Anniversario show and their occasional appearances in NJPW / ROH stuff. I was sort of rooting for Volador because he was the only dude I really know well, does the guy who won suck?

Angel Del Oro was like the 10th coolest guy in that match but mainly the end of the match felt really awkward. Not necessarily anti-climatic since I could feel the finish coming, but a few things felt clumsy.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

HM: Tomohiro Ishii and Toru Yano vs. Kenny Omega and Bad Luck Fale, NJPW Sakura Genesis, 4/9

gdi I know that was a filler tag but it had absolutely everything.

-Toru Yano being funny as heck
-Kenny showing that he's a great comedy wrestler as well as a great serious wrestler
-Fale doing his threatening enforcer thing really well
-Ishii being Ishii

idk I just really liked that match.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

goto vs zsj from sakura genesis owned

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hiromu vs kushida was also awesome

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yknow what match was good was okada vs. shibata

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HM: Kazuchika Okada (C) vs Katsuyori Shibata for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship - Sakura Genesis

For a moment, one beautiful moment, I believed.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Kazuchika Okada (C) vs Katsuyori Shibata for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship - Sakura Genesis

For a moment, one beautiful moment, I believed.

seconded

e: vvv Eh, I disagree. Okada/Suzuki felt like it had a lot more weight to it tbh. Still a great match tho.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 9, 2017

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
MOTYC: Okada vs Shibata - Sakura Genesis

Better than an HM in my eyes, a match hasn't felt this "big" to me since Wrestle Kingdom.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

HM: Okada/Shibata

Archbishop Karaoke
May 10, 2006

ThePariah posted:

Better than an HM in my eyes, a match hasn't felt this "big" to me since Wrestle Kingdom.

loving goddamn yeah.

ALSO FROM SAKURA GENESIS
HM: Hirooki Goto vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
HM: Hiromu Takahashi vs. KUSHIDA

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

ThePariah posted:

Nth, the right man won

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
4th Okada/Shibata for MOTY and anyone who doesn't think Okada is the best is silly.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

MassRafTer posted:

4th Okada/Shibata for MOTY and anyone who doesn't think Okada is the best is silly.

The only debate I'll entertain is whether he's the prettiest.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

he shares a locker room with sanada be serious

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

MassRafTer posted:

4/10/2016 Tetsuya Naito ****1/4
5/3/2016 SANADA ****
6/19/2016 Tetsuya Naito ****1/2
7/18/2016 Naomichi Marufuji ****1/2
8/3/2016 Togi Makabe ****1/4
8/6/2016 Tomohiro Ishii *****
8/12/2016 Hiroshi Tanahashi ****3/4
10/10/2016 Naomichi Marufuji ****3/4
1/4/2017 Kenny Omega ******
2/5/2017 Minoru Suzuki ****3/4
3/6/2017 Tiger Mask W ****1/2
4/9/2017 Katsuyori Shibata: TBA

Greatest year run for match quality for a main eventer, ever.

E: Also, Nth.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sigmachiev posted:

4/10/2016 Tetsuya Naito ****1/4
5/3/2016 SANADA ****
6/19/2016 Tetsuya Naito ****1/2
7/18/2016 Naomichi Marufuji ****1/2
8/3/2016 Togi Makabe ****1/4
8/6/2016 Tomohiro Ishii *****
8/12/2016 Hiroshi Tanahashi ****3/4
10/10/2016 Naomichi Marufuji ****3/4
1/4/2017 Kenny Omega ******
2/5/2017 Minoru Suzuki ****3/4
3/6/2017 Tiger Mask W ****1/2
4/9/2017 Katsuyori Shibata: TBA

Greatest year run for match quality for a main eventer, ever.

E: Also, Nth.

Kawada had four ***** star matches in 1995 (plus probably a bunch of **** matches, too). But hey, the year is young.

• Locked thread