Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
What happens to a President that has started a war, like what Trump just did, without congressional approval?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

imagine bein the syrians there and the russians know everything and you dont know poo poo

"oh hey, why are boris and vlad running away from the base so fast?"

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

man I can't believe Trump was so smart that he trolled Obama 4 years beforehand about not launching attacks against Syria

so that he could launch missiles against Syria and surprise the poo poo out of everyone once he was president

amazing how he compromised himself with the piss tape so he could gain the trust of Putin, to turn on him and reveal he doesn't care if the piss tape is released

2,069th dimensional chess

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/850184834177748992

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
boris why is it always boris

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

a real chump posted:

war war war war war war war war war war war war war war

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Yinlock posted:

https://twitter.com/TrumpNewsOrg/status/850182759658258432

qed

since trump needs congressional approval to commit an act of war, this clearly wasn't one since he didn't get it :smug:

japan never committed an act of war against the us, we just post-emptively attacked them.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

It's like when Michael Scott declares bankruptcy. You have to literally burst into a room and DECLARE BANKRUPTCY. Otherwise it's not real.

That's how it works for war.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

steve schmidt here to try to poo poo all over trump for this

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Philthy posted:

What happens to a President that has started a war, like what Trump just did, without congressional approval?

congress is the only authority in the land that can impeach him, sooooo

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Yinlock posted:

https://twitter.com/TrumpNewsOrg/status/850182759658258432

qed

since trump needs congressional approval to commit an act of war, this clearly wasn't one since he didn't get it :smug:

This is dumb. Pretty much any/every president can gently caress about for 60 days while congress mucks about deciding if they'd like to declare war.

We haven't declared a war since WWII. And it hasn't had a new "authorization" for military force since 2003 IIRC. Maybe Libya.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Lastgirl posted:

I mean, hasn't the US been conducting Airstrikes for a while?

its just not pretending anymore now, thats the difference~

yes, under the auspices of Bush's 2001 AUMF,

(a) IN GENERAL- That the President is authorized to use all necessary and appropriate force against those nations, organizations, or persons he determines planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in order to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United States by such nations, organizations or persons.

which is pretty vague and wide reaching, but i dont think it would cover syrian airfields.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Not sure if its just the folks I follow but there doesn't seem to be the same erection on twitter that the news and DC seems to have.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Admiral Ray posted:

congress is the only authority in the land that can impeach him, sooooo

ain't gettin' impeached unless piss tape

please if he killed any russian soldier let their sacrifice not be in vain and putin showers upon us the piss tape like those russian prostitues showered upon obamas bed

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Dammit I was supposed to get work done tonight

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Philthy posted:

roaring applause?

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

congress abdicated its war making authority long ago, try to keep up

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Haha fareed Zakira just pointed out on CNN that we are acting as Isis's Air Force lmao

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Samurai Sanders posted:

But seriously though is it that

A) cruise missiles are way weaker than I think
B) the air base is like a giant city
C) they blew the entire base into dirt and then blew up the dirt a few times over?

A + B

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I can't believe anyone actually believed Trump had a coherent anything. Did they not hear him speak?
Then again Glenn Greenwald is a noted idiot.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

(a) IN GENERAL- That the President is authorized to use all necessary and appropriate force against those nations, organizations, or persons he determines planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in order to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United States by such nations, organizations or persons.

which is pretty vague and wide reaching, but i dont think it would cover syrian airfields.

if you believe Adam Curtis, al-Assad's dad had a large role popularizing suicide bombing

so there ya go, justification

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ramadu posted:

Haha fareed Zakira just pointed out on CNN that we are acting as Isis's Air Force lmao

Navy in this case

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

ah yes, the constitutional scholar angle. that'll play well

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

thanks for the answer :beerpal:

well he did the whole spiel about how Assad did a terror so the airfield is near where the civs got gassed right?~

I mean in between the mock panic and real panic posts, i just wanted this clarification :ocelot:

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Squizzle posted:

crazy cloud are we gonna bomb pet island

look i'm not gonna tell you what we do before we do it, okay, i'm like, that's called, i'm a smart guy

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

wrist now slapped

- after warning that a slap would occur

- and where the slap would be

weak

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/coslive/status/850184630896480256

Okay you loving idiot, 8 days. All I ask is you not get us killed for 8 loving days

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

comingafteryouall posted:

man I can't believe Trump was so smart that he trolled Obama 4 years beforehand about not launching attacks against Syria

so that he could launch missiles against Syria and surprise the poo poo out of everyone once he was president

amazing how he compromised himself with the piss tape so he could gain the trust of Putin, to turn on him and reveal he doesn't care if the piss tape is released

2,069th dimensional chess

Googolplex dimensional chess

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

financially racist posted:

ain't gettin' impeached unless piss tape

please if he killed any russian soldier let their sacrifice not be in vain and putin showers upon us the piss tape like those russian prostitues showered upon obamas bed

Dying for trumps piss tape

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Ein Sexmonster posted:

I can't believe anyone actually believed Trump had a coherent anything. Did they not hear him speak?
Then again Glenn Greenwald is a noted idiot.

Greenwald, like a lot of people, was blinded by his megahatred of Shillary Killaton, and by his assumption that Trump could never win.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/leithfadel/status/850185222406774784

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcW_Ygs6hm0

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Hey

Hey

Hey

What the gently caress

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
what a surprise, everyone's hot takes about how trump was actually not insane were wrong

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lol we didnt even take out the runways

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

dunno bout you but it does seem like this was a hilitary strike tho

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Another abridged thing heard on MSNBC: Seeing the dead kids on TV had a huge effect on Trump's decision according to white house aids. So things aren't real until he sees them on TV.

Also, we didn't hit the runways at the airport, just structures and facilities there.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Lmao that's all? 150 mil for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

wait lol 15 aircraft?

• Locked thread