Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
That episode where Matthew shows them they can hook the computer up to the TV made me warm and fuzzy, but I also can't remember how that worked even though we did that once too.

vvv Ah. That explains it.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Longbaugh01 posted:

That episode where Matthew shows them they can hook the computer up to the TV made me warm and fuzzy, but I also can't remember how that worked even though we did that once too.

Many early home computers had RF or composite video out built‐in.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
If The Americans scratches an espionage itch for you, I'm confident you'll like Patriot.

It's The Americans meets the Coen Brothers

I want Philip to crack and become this guy

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Accretionist posted:

It's The Americans meets the Coen Brothers

That is basically the essence of what I've heard...

...though it's funny because Burn After Reading.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

howe_sam posted:

That was probably a fun day for the props department.

Not as much fun as they did last episode!

Dan Fisher posted:

I am the prop master for Americans Season Five. Yes, that was a period-correct package of Lifestyles condones for Pastor Tim. Not literally vintage, but created through the magic of Photoshop.
For reference:

http://blog.tepapa.govt.nz/2015/09/16/condoms-in-the-trolley/

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

mobby_6kl posted:

Not as much fun as they did last episode!

For reference:

http://blog.tepapa.govt.nz/2015/09/16/condoms-in-the-trolley/

That's awesome. Also I feel dumb because when watching I noticed Paige found something that made her twitch, but I couldn't tell what it had been.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That was a very satisfying payoff episode. The resolution to the Henry mystery was worth the wait.

Oh and schadenfreude about their guilt over murdering that dude for nothing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I feel like it's going to turn out that Henry is hacking his grades. And then The Center is gonna be like "We would be very interested in putting those skills to good use :russia: "

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

precision posted:

I feel like it's going to turn out that Henry is hacking his grades. And then The Center is gonna be like "We would be very interested in putting those skills to good use :russia: "

Well he's not doing it from home because I don't think they have any sort of modem (even an acoustic coupler), and I think the Jennings only have one phone line and Liz and Phil would get mad if it got tied up like that because they wouldn't get their super secret spy calls...

...Though now I'm wondering about that since apparently Henry ties up the phone line talking to "Doug" (girls).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
He's doing it from Stan's house!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

TheCenturion posted:

The original Worlds of Wonder Lazer Tag...

I could see a Beemans vs. Jennings match of this giving Stan a :what: moment if Phil and/or Liz inadvertently start showing off expert tactics.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

A Hank-on-the-shitter moment.

And that would be hilarious and amazing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Where'd you learn to combat roll like that, Elizabeth?"

"Uhm...cheerleading. Yeah...cheerleading." :stare:

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Henry wants to join the FBI and Stan told him to do good in school.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Naylenas posted:

Henry wants to join the FBI and Stan told him to do good in school.

That's not a bad bet. It'd also make for some good tension about "do we tell him?" Because the Center specifically wanted second-generation spies who could clear US Government background checks.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

precision posted:

"Changing your grades with a computer" is the laziest writing trope of the last 30 years that was already trite 20 years ago.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

"Changing your grades with a computer" is the laziest writing trope of the last 30 years that was already trite 20 years ago.

I was about to blame Hackers for this but then realized we have WarGames to thank for it. Also, since it came out in 1980, that would be more like almost 40 years.

(Also also, if it came out in 1980 and we go by in-universe The Americans time, then it's still mostly a fresh idea! :v:)

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Muppets On PCP posted:

with the pace they've set there's no real way they could do it but it'd be interesting to see what becomes of philip and elizabeth's idealism as russia becomes a hypercapitalist kleptocracy in the 90s

i could see elizabeth digging her heels in, seeing her country become even worse after the ussr collapses.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Longbaugh01 posted:

I was about to blame Hackers for this but then realized we have WarGames to thank for it. Also, since it came out in 1980, that would be more like almost 40 years.

(Also also, if it came out in 1980 and we go by in-universe The Americans time, then it's still mostly a fresh idea! :v:)

Ferris Bueller hacked his school computer to change how many days he's been absent.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

those chairs posted:

i could see elizabeth digging her heels in, seeing her country become even worse after the ussr collapses.

Yup, could absolutely go this way. "Communism would have worked, if not for those drat bourgeois capitalist imperialists and reactionaries. Their corruption and rot is so pervasive, it was even able to bring down the work of Marx and Lennin!"

On the other hand, Elizabeth also has a very idealized, foreign view of the USSR. She hasn't been there for, what, almost twenty years? She's not really a Soviet, anymore. They're in an odd, nebulous place. They're getting an earful from the defector family, but they can dismiss that as being self-serving exaggeration to impress the American government. But if Mischa shows up and starts dropping truth bombs about the USSR still being a shithole unless you're part of the nomenklatura (we're an egalitarian society but there's still special stores, special highway lanes, dachas in the forest with imported German appliances, and so on, for the more-equal-than-others) who knows? On one hand, true believers tend to double down. On the other hand, she's not an idiot, and has been carefully trained to use reason, logic, analysis, and so on.

I also find it interesting that her and Philip are starting to actively miss each other, and want to be together. It's been a while since I watched S1, but didn't the pilot involve them having been estranged for years, her pulling a kitchen knife on him when he tried to touch her, and what not? They've always been able to separate their work-related sexual liaisons from their personal relationship, but that seems to be starting to fall by the wayside.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Someone watches Arrow. :v:
Oh yeah, that's where it's from. I stopped watching after last season. I knew that phrase was from some recent TV show, but had forgotten which one.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 7, 2017

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

TheCenturion posted:

I also find it interesting that her and Philip are starting to actively miss each other, and want to be together. It's been a while since I watched S1, but didn't the pilot involve them having been estranged for years, her pulling a kitchen knife on him when he tried to touch her, and what not? They've always been able to separate their work-related sexual liaisons from their personal relationship, but that seems to be starting to fall by the wayside.

This is what I remember as well, but I get the feeling the vast improvement in their relationship is just set up for the showrunners to pull the rug out from under us.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

"Well Mr and Mrs Jennings Henry pulls a C on every math test but by gosh this box here, that doesnt align with my grade book at all, says hes getting an A so im moving him up to advanced whatever!"

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

I don't think we're done with Mischa. He didn't fly all the way to the US just to meet an old man who's telling him to shut up and go home. I don't think he's going to go home quiet and willingly, and Gabriel can't exactly kill him+fold him up into a suitcase and send him home that way.
I expect Mischa is going to start literally going to every single travel agency he can find, until he finds Phil. He was the capstone of S4, and I am expecting his story to be kind of central to the outcome of this season.

From there either (a) he finds Phil, or (b) someone calls the feds because "Hey, a Russian kid is going around to travel agencies looking for his dad!"

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

There's no way Gabriel let Mischa leave.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

OMGVBFLOL posted:

There's no way Gabriel let Mischa leave.

Yeah, if they didn't cattle prod or stun gun that kid the second they could shove him into a deserted alley, I really have to question Gabriel's competence.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Gabriel just said, not here, very carefully and a couple of times. I wouldn't be shocked to see Phil take a trip to East Germany like Liz did for her mom.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Propaganda Machine posted:

Gabriel just said, not here, very carefully and a couple of times. I wouldn't be shocked to see Phil take a trip to East Germany like Liz did for her mom.

I don't see why Mischa would voluntarily go back into Soviet territory after all he went through to get out and also his criticisms of the USSR and Afghanistan, no matter what Gabriel says.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Gabriel wouldn't have gone to that meeting alone, ideally without at least two other people if they were available. The only way Mischa doesn't go with them is if he fights his way out and is able to go to ground ... in a country whose language he barely speaks, with a dwindling supply of money, when he's already exhausted and emotionally devastated.

Which, I mean... hes clearly shown resourcefulness and resolve up until now. He's a soldier, after all. I guess the episode didn't fully resolve it, though I got no impression that Mischa was going anywhere Gabriel didn't lead him.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Longbaugh01 posted:

I don't see why Mischa would voluntarily go back into Soviet territory after all he went through to get out and also his criticisms of the USSR and Afghanistan, no matter what Gabriel says.

From my remembrance of that scene, it was implied that Gabriel wasn't alone. In fact, I was kind of :ohdear:ing at Gabriel holding an umbrella.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Guys, I said voluntarily and further qualified with "no matter what Gabriel says."

Yes, he could be forced to with varying degrees of violence or the threat of it. Even then though, I think he'd try his hardest to not get taken all the way back to the place he escaped from, and I also don't think they'd look too kindly on someone who sneaked out and I'm sure Mischa knows that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mischa seems destined to get shot by Claudia, and with the way that Gabriel and Claudia have been mirroring Philip and Liz for the past few seasons...

What I'm saying is that Liz will kill Mischa in the finale.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Never mind thought poster above meant series finale.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

precision posted:

Mischa seems destined to get shot by Claudia, and with the way that Gabriel and Claudia have been mirroring Philip and Liz for the past few seasons...

What I'm saying is that Liz will kill Mischa in the finale.

Claudia will offer him some Vodka "from home." The poison'll already be in the glass.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Longbaugh01 posted:

Well he's not doing it from home because I don't think they have any sort of modem (even an acoustic coupler), and I think the Jennings only have one phone line and Liz and Phil would get mad if it got tied up like that because they wouldn't get their super secret spy calls...

...Though now I'm wondering about that since apparently Henry ties up the phone line talking to "Doug" (girls).

pfft, like henry hasn't figured out blue boxes already

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Claudia will offer him some Vodka "from home." The poison'll already be in the glass.

:laffo:

and after they're caught and on the run, when elizabeth asks phil why he didn't kill stan, he'll just say "we dug coal together"

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 8, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Mischa’s bougie appetite will be the end of him.

The poison is in the stevia.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

pfft, like henry hasn't figured out blue boxes already

Have we seen him eating any Captain Crunch cereal? :v:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I got the reference.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

and after they're caught and on the run, when elizabeth asks phil why he didn't kill stan, he'll just say "we dug coal played racketball together"

Let's make that a little more show appropriate

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
After Phil is tragically killed in an explosive confrontation, Elizabeth and Stan embrace as she pulls them both over a cliff into the roiling Atlantic below.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Whoever brought up the vintage McDonald's boxes was spot on about their attention to detail before.

But then they go and somehow get an (apparently real) IL-18? I mean, most people reading this probably won't know that was a Soviet airliner, but wow, other shows would've tried to pass off a 737 in Aeroflot colors. Not this one. :stare:

e- I could watch an entire series based around :ussr: goods enforcer Oleg.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 12, 2017

• Locked thread