Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Warp Speed Mass Drivers make my dick hard.

"Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest son of a bitch in space!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLpgxry542M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I wonder what the whales told the cylinder probe

the whales probably didn't realize there were only two of them left and that even in the future japanese people were still going to turn them into burgers

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

frogge posted:

Just got to the magnificent ferengi in this run through of the show. I still can't believe I didn't realize it was Iggy Pop until someone in this thread pointed it out awhile back.

I saw it for the first time last night. I was thinking "Oh poo poo, this is the like best Vorta next to Weyoun!" and it's because Iggy Pop. I suppose it helped having the juxtaposition of Yelgrun and Keevan as Keevan sucked so loving much, which I'm sure was the point.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Any unmanned probes Starfleet sends out would probably just get ganked by Ferengi and sold for parts, or stolen by Pakleds, or used for target practice by bored Klingons.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Holy poo poo, the shameless plugging before the start of Generations on VHS is real bad. :staredog:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

"A Rick Berman Production"

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

The Guinan angle could have been so good.

Imagine if this movie was made but it was good?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

The Enterprise: a ship that it makes sense to have shitload of kids on.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain
Look I tried to read all the posts before I started and the closest I ever got was 1000 away. I really want to participate. I watched DS9 and Voyager all the way through original and rewatched most of DS9 with my (loving girlfriend) last year.

Lets make snarky comments about chakotay, A-weema-weh, a-weema-weh, a-weema-weh, a-weema-weh.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Flutieflakes017 posted:

Look I tried to read all the posts before I started and the closest I ever got was 1000 away. I really want to participate. I watched DS9 and Voyager all the way through original and rewatched most of DS9 with my (loving girlfriend) last year.

Lets make snarky comments about chakotay, A-weema-weh, a-weema-weh, a-weema-weh, a-weema-weh.

Then you only have one final test to pass before you can join in. Please assign one of TOS, Animated Series, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT & STD to the following canned pastas.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

shadow puppet of a posted:

Then you only have one final test to pass before you can join in. Please assign one of TOS, Animated Series, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT & STD to the following canned pastas.

Italian Sausage is DS9
and Spaghetti and meatballs is Enterprise because it's the worst.
Something is the original series movies because I like those too.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Enterprise is chicken alfredo because it's bland, mostly white, and most people in the mainstream probably don't even know it exists.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I find it hard to respect a franchise that went as far as Star Trek did to avoid a decent makeup budget for aliens. So much so, that they invented a storyline reason for everyone looking mostly human.

Give me Jim Henson's Farscape Muppets, Babylon 5's animatronic and full face makeup, and Lost in Space's rubber suits any day.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Flutieflakes017 posted:

Italian Sausage is DS9
and Spaghetti and meatballs is Enterprise because it's the worst.
Something is the original series movies because I like those too.

TOS is Beefaroni: the signature variety that's firmly in the popular lexicon
TNG is Big Beefaroni: bigger, tastier version of the original
TAS is Lasagna: hits a spot but it's kind of weird that it exists
DS9 is the somewhat less widely-regarded flavor explosion Overstuffed Italian Sausage
VOY is chicken ravioli, the weaksauce follow-up that's like, "Okay, we're running out of ideas. Let's retread one of our successful old products but with more milktoast ingredients."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mister Facetious posted:

I find it hard to respect a franchise that went as far as Star Trek did to avoid a decent makeup budget for aliens. So much so, that they invented a storyline reason for everyone looking mostly human.

Give me Jim Henson's Farscape Muppets, Babylon 5's animatronic and full face makeup, and Lost in Space's rubber suits any day.

B5 ditched the animatronics pretty early on.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Kosh has always been here. :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Giant Mantis Guy was around for most of the first season iirc.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They generally keep him around for the occasional League of Non-Aligned Worlds scenes. Female VA, as I recall.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
TNG is beef flavored ramen, VOY is roast chicken, DS9 is oriental.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Then it got murdered by Buffy.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
Londo had animatronic genitalia throughout the entire series :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

And were dextrous enough to be used for cheating at poker.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

Welcome to....Jurasik Park!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Lifeline;

Pathfinder's managed to create a way to talk to Voyager once every month using the peak of a pulsar's cycle to boost the Midas Array's signal. And somehow receive a response from Voyager, even though they had to create an artificial wormhole last time and this is just a broadcast.

The Doctor's gotten a letter from Reg Barclay personally about Lewis Zimmerman, his creator, who is DYING! He begs Captain Jane to have his program sent to the Alpha Quadrant with a possible treatment plan based on Delta Quadrant research and experience, against common sense arguments like "We have no loving clue if we can actually send something back". The crux of a time issue is that they only have a 17-hour window to reply back in each month, and somehow this is argued into only have one possible shot at a reply instead of 17 solid hours of two-way transmission because...:pseudo:

Seven and the Doctor actually have a pretty nice little scene going through what gets excised from his program to fit the data stream. No singing. No athletic abilities. No sexual abilties. Yes, Seven actually mentioned that.

Robert Picardo has some amazing fun acting against himself, being his own worst patient, for the entire run of the episode. The combined shots of him against himself are generally pretty well-shot and acted, and it's almost a good episode. The interactions between himself are fantastic, but the conclusion of the plot is a hackneyed guilt trip to make Zimmerman care about the Doctor because, oh no, his program's suddenly failing and only he can fix it. And Reg sabotaged the Doctor to cause it on-purpose.

I wouldn't call it good, but it's definitely a fun watch for the 80-90% of it that is just Robert Picardo arguing with himself, and they actually managed to make a one-off "guest" character far more interesting than any of Voyager's main cast in terms of background scenery. Lewis Zimmerman is a lonely half-broken man who spends almost all of his time in a lab, with a holographic iguana that occasionally parrots back words in english Jerks, a fly he developed for Starfleet Covert Ops surveillance, and a holographic woman who is pretty much the closest thing he has to a daughter, and the only person he gives two shits about. Zimmerman's lab looks lived-in, and he traipses around it in unkempt casual clothes instead of a Starfleet uniform because he just doesn't care anymore.

The B-Plot is a single scene between Janeway and Chakotay earning a paycheck getting a message from an admiral inquiring about their past effort in the Delta Quadrant, and "an update on The Maquis". It's kinda nice having the two treat it as something to be blown off, but it just underscores how wasted a storyline that whole concept was.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I'm curious as to why they bothered with the Maquis as a concept in the first place, especially if it was introduced solely for Voyager's benefit, when Voyager abandons it as soon as it could.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I'm curious as to why they bothered with the Maquis as a concept in the first place, especially if it was introduced solely for Voyager's benefit, when Voyager abandons it as soon as it could.

It did give us a few cool episodes (assassin Suder, one with Tuvok's holodeck program) but yeah such potential.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Tyson Tomko posted:

It did give us a few cool episodes (assassin Suder, one with Tuvok's holodeck program) but yeah such potential.

Weirdly most of the Maquis plots are multiple seasons into the show - the missile Torres reprogrammed was season 3 or 4 (I think?), the Maquis hypnosis that causes them to murder was 6 or 7 at the earliest. It would have made a lot more sense as a running thread for season 1 or 2 than all the Alpha Quadrant stuff they kept finding. Having the Maquis slowly integrate could have let to a lot of good stories.

That said the holodeck one did benefit from being after everyone forgot it was ever a problem. Tuvok making a training simulation and abandoning it when it was no longer relevant kind of made sense.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Because it was used to much better affect in DS9.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

As someone that was ~12 when the maquis were introduced, it was especially confusing at the time. Like Star Trek is cool when the non-federation "other" civilizations are cool, and I'm obsessing over grainy photos of the crazy TOS aliens I've never seen (because having access to all of TOS wasn't really common), and I'm supposed to give a poo poo about Bajorans? Ugh jeez at least it's just one group that sucks. Wait, maquis? Just another bunch of whiny white people yammering about rights and borders? gently caress this, it's finally time to watch those "Star Wars" movies people keep talking about. *stops watching DS9 right before it got good*

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Meiers Goldbrick posted:

Because it was used to much better affect in DS9.

Was a great way for Berman to make Sisko a war criminal, along with being an alien traitor from another dimension who betrayed everything the Federation stands for, and, quite frankly, doesn't deserve to wear that uniform.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brofessor Slayton posted:

Weirdly most of the Maquis plots are multiple seasons into the show - the missile Torres reprogrammed was season 3 or 4 (I think?), the Maquis hypnosis that causes them to murder was 6 or 7 at the earliest. It would have made a lot more sense as a running thread for season 1 or 2 than all the Alpha Quadrant stuff they kept finding. Having the Maquis slowly integrate could have let to a lot of good stories.

That said the holodeck one did benefit from being after everyone forgot it was ever a problem. Tuvok making a training simulation and abandoning it when it was no longer relevant kind of made sense.

The holodeck episode is actually pretty good, but it really didn't need the "Seska hacked it before leaving Voyager" twist. A better show could've just hung a "what-if" story on the basic premise and it nearly gets there anyway.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

So I've been watching SG1 for the first time ever and I just happened across the best holodeck episode ever: S02E04

Highlights: Reginald Barclay traps Daniel Jackson on a holodeck and forces him to watch his parents get crushed to death by big styrofoam blocks over and over again while gleefully exclaiming what fun it all is.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mondian posted:

So I've been watching SG1 for the first time ever and I just happened across the best holodeck episode ever: S02E04

Highlights: Reginald Barclay traps Daniel Jackson on a holodeck and forces him to watch his parents get crushed to death by big styrofoam blocks over and over again while gleefully exclaiming what fun it all is.

Early SG-1 is very Star Trek Away Mission. It eventually becomes its own thing about mid-season 2, I think?

Also you are in for a real treat if you've never seen SG-1 before :allears:.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Wormhole X or whatever was great. I just finally watched SG1 a year or two back, was really pleasantly surprised by how good it was

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Wormhole X or whatever was great. I just finally watched SG1 a year or two back, was really pleasantly surprised by how good it was

Wormhole Xtreme is great fun watching them riff on their own show. Especially in 200 with the interviews with the "cast" at the end.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Mister Facetious posted:

Was a great way for Berman to make Sisko a war criminal, along with being an alien traitor from another dimension who betrayed everything the Federation stands for, and, quite frankly, doesn't deserve to wear that uniform.

Or giving Sisko a white whale, since Picard has the borg.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wormhole Xtreme is great fun watching them riff on their own show. Especially in 200 with the interviews with the "cast" at the end.

Yeah, that had me rolling "I'm Christian Bocher. I'm portraying the character of Raymond Gunn, who portrays the character of Dr. Levant, which is based on the character Daniel Jackson, portrayed by the actor Michael Shanks. Originally portrayed by the actor James Spader, in the feature film."

I do appreciate that they're fine poking fun at themselves. There was a great line in one ep where RDA was explaining the goauld to some people with something along the lines of "You know: glowing eyes, constant cliches, cartoonishly evil?"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Meiers Goldbrick posted:

Or giving Sisko a white whale, since Picard has the borg.

Except the Maquis didn't personally wound him, and after being talked down twice (I, Borg and First Contact), he still tried talking when given the chance.

Sisko is an alien omni-race from another dimension that doesn't even understand what "time" is.
He killed a planet biosphere as a dick waving measure.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Mister Facetious posted:

Except the Maquis didn't personally wound him, and after being talked down twice (I, Borg and First Contact), he still tried talking when given the chance.

Sisko is an alien omni-race from another dimension that doesn't even understand what "time" is.
He killed a planet biosphere as a dick waving measure.

I agree, Sisko is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Mondian posted:

Yeah, that had me rolling "I'm Christian Bocher. I'm portraying the character of Raymond Gunn, who portrays the character of Dr. Levant, which is based on the character Daniel Jackson, portrayed by the actor Michael Shanks. Originally portrayed by the actor James Spader, in the feature film."

I do appreciate that they're fine poking fun at themselves. There was a great line in one ep where RDA was explaining the goauld to some people with something along the lines of "You know: glowing eyes, constant cliches, cartoonishly evil?"

After awhile I think SG-1 crawled up it's own "well we're just joking about all the tropes this genre typically takes seriously, which excuses increasingly lame stories/characters/etc." hole, it probably should have ended around season 5