Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

E Depois do Adeus posted:

In the buildup to WWI things went from peace to war in about a month following the catalyzing assassination of Franz Ferdinand. I'm not saying this is similar, but in the age of Twitter and modern military technology, would there be the same kind of preparatory period before war broke out? Apologies to SS-18 Satan but if I don't want to go out with the Eastern Seaboard would I have time to flee or would we learn of war via ICBM?

We're fighting wars against dirt, those tend to be us stomping on poor people.

WAR takes about 30 minutes of bated breath followed by either one side winning overwhelmingly or civilization ending. The buildup to that could be months, It could have been the past 16 years. It could just be a fictional dream of true believers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

E Depois do Adeus posted:

In the buildup to WWI things went from peace to war in about a month following the catalyzing assassination of Franz Ferdinand. I'm not saying this is similar, but in the age of Twitter and modern military technology, would there be the same kind of preparatory period before war broke out? Apologies to SS-18 Satan but if I don't want to go out with the Eastern Seaboard would I have time to flee or would we learn of war via ICBM?

Very different.

And the circumstances/zeitgeist leading up to the war was different too. All the nations had expected a conflict to erupt at some point. They didn't know when or what the trigger would be but most of the nations involved had plans for The Day.

Now that said, it was a world with international trade and there was also a side that thought war unthinkable. So who knows.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

This morning, my unit was advised to determine how long we could operate 24/7 with our current manning, and how many additional personnel we would need to sustain 24 hour ops indefinitely. Welp. Now I know why.

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Think Nola is important enough to glass? I mean probably not in the first salvo right?

Aw, don't worry. The jet stream runs from North-West to South-East LA, so even if Nola is spared, you'll still get the fallout from Barksdale Air Force Base. Just might have a little time to put your affairs in order.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Not to get away from your post-apocalyptic fapping but:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/06/us/politics/jared-kushner-russians-security-clearance.html?referer=

:catstare:

quote:

When Jared Kushner, President Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser, sought the top-secret security clearance that would give him access to some of the nation’s most closely guarded secrets, he was required to disclose all of his encounters with foreign government officials over the last seven years.

But Mr. Kushner omitted any mention of dozens of contacts he has had with foreign leaders or officials in recent months. They include a December meeting with the Russian ambassador, Sergey I. Kislyak, and another with the head of a Russian state-owned bank, Vnesheconombank, which was arranged at the behest of Mr. Kislyak.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Godholio posted:

I'm about 200 posts behind still, but I gotta ask...Shim, what powerball numbers should I pick this weekend?

14 88 42 0 69 Powerball 5

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

At this point, I'm pretty sure I've met with Sergey Kislyak

An agent of tg
Apr 7, 2017
https://twitter.com/LaloDagach/status/850181454172753920

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Duzzy Funlop posted:

At this point, I'm pretty sure I've met with Sergey Kislyak

the mazeltov-duzzyfunloptrop act

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013
Noooooo I'm still in the IRR and literally just landed in the tantalizing target of NYC. They won't need 19As, right?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

People keep posting things like that, is if every candidate or pre-President doesn't say similar things about consultation (though perhaps not on Twitter or shittly) and then does just the opposite with regards to war powers.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
This weekend in my battalion's demobilization ceremony.

Would be an ideal time to get everyone mobbed again.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I promise you no us president so blatantly did it on social media as trump while also pushing a birther agenda

like you're not wrong but trump is just so IN YOUR loving FACE wrong and hypocritical its loving hilarious

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I promise you no us president so blatantly did it on social media as trump while also pushing a birther agenda

like you're not wrong but trump is just so IN YOUR loving FACE wrong and hypocritical its loving hilarious

Yeah, I get what your saying and you're right, but it's just the idea that everyone seems to forget Candidate/Senator vs President Obama on Congressional consultation is kind of humorous/annoying.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

TheAlphaChaser posted:

Noooooo I'm still in the IRR and literally just landed in the tantalizing target of NYC. They won't need 19As, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpGHd9yyjDQ&t=212s

:getin:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Yeah, I get what your saying and you're right, but it's just the idea that everyone seems to forget Candidate/Senator vs President Obama on Congressional consultation is kind of humorous/annoying.

i dont think people noticed as much with obama because he wasn't so blatantly retarded and corrupt

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

how hard you think trump tried to drop a nuke instead of tomahawks

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

What I want to know is how badly the enlisted navy dudes wanted to add ten more missiles to the 59 launched.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

facialimpediment posted:

What I want to know is how badly the enlisted navy dudes wanted to add ten more missiles to the 59 launched.

"Whoops, my finger slipped "

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

facialimpediment posted:

Apparently we launched 70, of which 59 hit. They can content themselves with being one off :colbert:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

TheAlphaChaser posted:

Same. I'm like, "Great, my preserved food, water, emergency bag and literally every other thing is on the other side of the country."

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Do you guys really think your emergency supplies will actually help you? I mean I own guns and stuff but I don't stockpile food and ammo for some post apocalyptic fantasy. Seems a bit insane to me unless you live in a rural area where natural disasters are an actual threat.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/PeterAlexander/status/850059818165559296

:doh:

An agent of tg
Apr 7, 2017
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8xk_AFWsAAxiuj.jpg

Now this is funny

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

DoktorLoken posted:

Do you guys really think your emergency supplies will actually help you? I mean I own guns and stuff but I don't stockpile food and ammo for some post apocalyptic fantasy. Seems a bit insane to me unless you live in a rural area where natural disasters are an actual threat.

the survivalist poo poo cracks me up like lol I'll probably just On the Beach style suicide because what's the point if we're living in some loving mad max poo poo. like if the apocalypse happens then gently caress it i'm going to peace out on my own rather than hoping for the opportunity to kill people and eat them or whatever people are banking on with that poo poo

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Hasn't US policy always been "gently caress Russia, but don't gently caress with Russia"? This seems to go against that.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

DoktorLoken posted:

I wasn't serious, but I do have that stuff because I live in California, where having your house collapse in an earthquake or burn down in the summer is not unheard-of. This year we added "Impending Dam Collapse" to the reasons you might have to leave quick and take care of yourself for a bit.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 7, 2017

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

A Bad Poster posted:

Hasn't US policy always been "gently caress Russia, but don't gently caress with Russia"? This seems to go against that.

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/850200153617088514

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Go to Jiujitsu around 5:00 come back after practice, chill out, grab a crown and coke, fire up the internets, check facebook, light a doobie, every ones still boring, fire up something awful

CE THREAD 200 posts..

"AWWWWWWWWFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK Peepee tape exists or trump just declared war on something"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Mattis told him to go play outside for a while.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses the number of new posts ITT as a measure of the global situation.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Trump's approval ratings will rise with the missile strike. Watch it become a thing-- 60 Tomahawks for 10 percentage points

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/255784560904773633?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

LOL

:perfect:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If only it mattered what the President said in the past. Because it doesn't matter. He's going to get a slight poll bump for TLAM'ing Syria, and no one is going to give a gently caress about 4-5 year old tweets because we live in the strangest of times.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses the number of new posts ITT as a measure of the global situation.
I always assume that when the number of posts in the CE thread explodes, something else has, as well.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Naked Bear posted:

I always assume that when the number of posts in the CE thread explodes, something else has, as well.

There's a curve with a sharp drop off at the end in regards to explosions to number of posts if you made a nice graph of it. Like, a really sharp drop off.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

http://abcnews.go.com/amp/International/eyewitness-syrian-military-anticipated-us-raid/story?id=46641107

The Syrians had foreknowledge of the attack and removed all their equipment and personnel from the base before the attack.

LOL we just blew $90 million dollars to crater an abandoned base.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Naked Bear posted:

100+ posts means a figurative bomb has dropped, 300+ for literal ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

• Locked thread