Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Our nationalism is the good one - not like the nationalism of those fuckers down the road.

Edit: healthy wholesome nationalism

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Mar 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

Our nationalism is the good one - not like the nationalism of those fuckers down the road.

Edit: healthy wholesome nationalism

That saltire is remarkably clean for something that's just had someone born onto it

Coohoolin posted:

Yeah plus a bunch of material comparing the English to rats and cockroaches.

I was under the impression that we'd all accepted as a thread that the national is complete poo poo, no?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Niric posted:

That saltire is remarkably clean for something that's just had someone born onto it

I was under the impression that we'd all accepted as a thread that the national is complete poo poo, no?

Slight difference between complete poo poo and "literally Der Sturmer" though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

Slight difference between complete poo poo and "literally Der Sturmer" though.

Yeah, Der Sturmer occasionally had a good article about architecture.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
fit a time to be alive

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I'm watching news articles of current events and thinking it would be fitting to have a montage of them with Bob Dylan's "the times they are a changin" over it, like in Watchmen

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
if any criticism of westminster and/or the general state of the british political system isn't coded hatred for the English, why do I keep on insisting it is?

and on a different tack, i'll have you all know the national occasionally says a nice thing about the greens, thus meaning it is not at all biased at all

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

I mean, it's not like the "SDL" isn't mostly EDL people up for a wee day trip.

Aye, but if they are physically in Scotland and feel at heart that they are Scottish, who are we to say them nay however despicable their politics?

For some substance on this dreich day of declared Freedom from the clutches of Europe, have a link to an interesting read about the presentation of Freedom as a concept in (mostly Medieval) Scotland.
Freedom as Fetish: Fraught Love of Liberty from Arbroath to Golagros
A timely reminder that 'Freedom' often means not the securing of individual personal freedom but the freedom to remain subservient to the ruling classes even (or especially?) in documents subsequently claimed as standing equally for all.

You'll find some other good reads in the sidebar there, the Whisky one was an eye-opener to me at any rate.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
So someone did a poll about Scottish Independence. In Germany.

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/847383688954339328

:iiam:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/30/scots-back-sturgeon-brexit-polls

Prof Curtice thinks that although support for the EU is broad in Scotland, it's also quite shallow. So Scots want the same outcome from Brexit as the rest of the UK. Doesn't bode well for Sturgeon's chances.

Based on this survey http://www.natcen.ac.uk/news-media/...or-brexit-deal/

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Lord of the Llamas posted:

So someone did a poll about Scottish Independence. In Germany.

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/847383688954339328

:iiam:

An independent Scotland in the EU is Frischfleisch to them.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

EmptyVessel posted:

Aye, but if they are physically in Scotland and feel at heart that they are Scottish, who are we to say them nay however despicable their politics?

For some substance on this dreich day of declared Freedom from the clutches of Europe, have a link to an interesting read about the presentation of Freedom as a concept in (mostly Medieval) Scotland.
Freedom as Fetish: Fraught Love of Liberty from Arbroath to Golagros
A timely reminder that 'Freedom' often means not the securing of individual personal freedom but the freedom to remain subservient to the ruling classes even (or especially?) in documents subsequently claimed as standing equally for all.

You'll find some other good reads in the sidebar there, the Whisky one was an eye-opener to me at any rate.

Found this very interesting tyvm.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
So now that Sturgeon has formally asked for a referendum and, formally been told no, will she hold attempt to hold one anyway, engineer a Scottish general election or declare UDI?

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

So now that Sturgeon has formally asked for a referendum and, formally been told no, will she hold attempt to hold one anyway, engineer a Scottish general election or declare UDI?

Probably just wait until after Brexit when everything starts to suck, no?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Has she been formally told no yet? She only just sent the letter out and I can't find anything about a response as of yet

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Fiction posted:

Probably just wait until after Brexit when everything starts to suck, no?

Wait and ask again?

I'm not sure her Party will accept that. The strategy now is to capitalise in the Brexit shock - when all the dust has settled things won't feel particularly different to how they are now, and the case for independence will see the SNP arguing that Scotland should be outside of the UK, starting the process of joining.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Edit: sorry this post edit went all wrong.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 31, 2017

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Wait and ask again?

I'm not sure her Party will accept that. The strategy now is to capitalise in the Brexit shock - when all the dust has settled things won't feel particularly different to how they are now, and the case for independence will see the SNP arguing that Scotland should be outside of the UK, starting the process of joining.

I'm not sure you have a good grasp of internal SNP politics if you think there will be any sort of widespread discontent against the leadership in the foreseeable future.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

I'm not sure you have a good grasp of internal SNP politics if you think there will be any sort of widespread discontent against the leadership in the foreseeable future.

I don't have much of a grasp of it at all but surely doing nothing for two years won't sit well with the nationalists?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Here we go

https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/847783238127038464

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Please do not poo poo up my thread with multiple same posts

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pissflaps posted:

i think she knew all along that May's government would almost certainly say no. it's posturing to rile up the base over another Westminster snub to Scotland.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I don't have much of a grasp of it at all but surely doing nothing for two years won't sit well with the nationalists?

But they are the Scottish government, they won't be doing nothing. They'll be governing. They are less than 2 years removed from an unprecedented and incredible performance at the general election, and solid performance in

It riles up the base, gets some more "look at how Westminster don't want to let Scottish people have their say" stories in the press, all the while letting Brexit play out. There will be minimal calls for UDI from a few fringe types, but the vast majority of members of the SNP have full faith in the leadership. Can't see that changing very much in the near future.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

But they are the Scottish government, they won't be doing nothing. They'll be governing. They are less than 2 years removed from an unprecedented and incredible performance at the general election, and solid performance in

If you're right, it'll be interesting to see how they tread the line between resisting Brexit and getting on with the apparently enormous legislative task Brexit represents for Holyrood.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Spanish foreign minister has explicitly confirmed that Spain wouldn't veto Scottish EU application.

quote:

Madrid is keen not to fuel Catalonia’s desire for independence. “We don’t want it [Scottish independence] to happen,” he said. “But if it happens legally and constitutionally, we would not block it. We don’t encourage the breakup of any member states, because we think the future goes in a different direction.”
Which is in content exactly the same as they've said every single time, but as a political talking point will play well for the Yes campaign.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Hoops posted:

Spanish foreign minister has explicitly confirmed that Spain wouldn't veto Scottish EU application.
Not this week, anyway.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hoops posted:

Which is in content exactly the same as they've said every single time, but as a political talking point will play well for the Yes campaign.

It plays well for them too, considering May just said no to a second referendum.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The question has never been 'could an independent Scotland join the eu' - the answer to that has always been yes.

Back in 2014 the question was 'could Scotland 'remain' a member state and maintain the UK's opt outs and rebate' - the answer to which was no.

The question now is 'should an independent Scotland join the eu' - the answer to which, economically at least, is also no. Unless the UK and EU hammer out a trade deal as good as what the UK has now as a member state.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/ScotNational/status/849656497084739585

Do Rab's heartfelt words resonate with any of us who attended schools in Scotland?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Do Rab's heartfelt words resonate with any of us who attended schools in Scotland?

I got Wallace in Secondary, not Primary, but didn't even get Black Douglas, and I think I have a familial connection to him.

There's gently caress all Scottish history other than Wallace, and Bannockburn covered in schools.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Pissflaps posted:

They must read this forum and are just doing it to wind you up now.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I went to primary school in Scotland and I don't know the Black Douglas is. Seems kinda racist civic nationalist to me?

Hoops fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 5, 2017

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Hoops posted:

I went to primary school in Scotland and I don't know the Black Douglas is. Seems kinda racist civic nationalist to me?

Apparently The Corries, writers of atrocious song Flower of Scotland, wrote a song about him. I don't remember him coming up in school at all, in Primary School we focused more on local Scottish history, so there was a bit on the '45, a bit on the Highland Clearances, because hey, I grew up near Culloden Moor & Fort George so there's lots of sites related to that period in the vicinity that you can go take Primary 7 kids to. Do know he had something to do with Robert I but other than that, pass. Presumably he was called Black Douglas by someone or other he did wrong by.

I'd certainly agree with Oor Rab that we didn't do much Scottish history in secondary school, but then I dropped history after 2nd year to do geography instead (no loving idea why) so I'm not sure what the Standard Grade & Higher curriculums are like. Quick glance of the BBC Bitesize website, you can see what they have there. Some stuff on the World Wars & the run up to them both, Germany 1918-45, Russia 1914-41, some American stuff, and then a couple "Changing Scotland & Britain" covering 2 different time periods. Which all seems fair enough to me, especially as it's a bit silly to separate entirely Scottish history from British period after the Act of Union.

Had a friend who did Higher History & he definitely covered the Wars of Independence, & i want to say he did the Scottish Reformation too. But this is in the 2000-2002 period and so presumably ages after Rab was in secondary school. Ultimately not too sure auld Rab's experiences many decades ago are all that important to anyone but Rab. Though from speaking to my parents I also don't think he's making it up, there was no place for Scots literature in school, and kids who did speak Scots were liable to get the belt. No idea about the 1960s History curriculum & it's contents though.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
How old is this Rab?
Can't remember much primary history but in my (Lowlands, mid to late 70s) state High School we did a bunch about the Improvers which was mostly Scottish. We also read Neil Gunn so Scottish literature wasn't banned, though that might be because we had a really good head of English.

I knew about the Black Douglas (named so by the English for a rather brutal bit of slaughter) because I read Nigel Tranter's dubious books. He (Douglas) fought with Robert the Bruce and was the guy who took Bruce's heart to the Holy Land.
I have never heard the Corries song about him and am happy to keep it that way.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...
The only Scottish History I remember in Primary was a school trip to Bannockburn and the Wallace monument (complete with Mel Gibson statue). Most of the substantive stuff I learned was in College naturally.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Leggsy posted:

The only Scottish History I remember in Primary was a school trip to Bannockburn and the Wallace monument (complete with Mel Gibson statue). Most of the substantive stuff I learned was in College naturally.

This was pretty much all I got, plus a little bit about the Clearances at some point.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

We learned about Wallace, Bruce, Scotland in the late 19th/early 20th centuries (leading to WW1) and for some reason the Scottish Reformation. That wasn't too shabby tbh.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Go away.

https://twitter.com/JamieRoss7/status/850256307240042496

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Will you be taking part in the protest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I like Obama, I hope he has a good time in Edinburgh.