Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Uncle w Benefits posted:

It's good, just a snorefest? I can deal with that.

Well its the build speedrunners used at some point and probably still do. You can kind of turn it into a low faith/str build too. If you need build help here goes my try:
Cleric start (probably the only time its a good idea to use)
Vigor 40
Attunment 14. 18 if you want to use blessed weapon and denial at the same time, not really nececary but you have the points to waste so whatever.
Endurance 30 (or 40 if you feel like it, straight swords dont really need 40 but it never hurts to have more with shields.)
Vit Whatever you want it at. Anything you dont put in endurance, STR and attunment goes here.
STR at enough to use whatever shield you want. I recomend around 40 STR for some of the greatshields since they make the game even easier. Raising STR doesent hurt much since anris sword scales with STR slightly too. Can also be left at 16 or so STR for just black knight shield.
Dex 10
int 7
faith 16. You mostly care about all the support stuff from faith. Blessed weapon, denial, force, and whatever else that doesent scale with faith stat.
luck 40

At this point the build is done already and youre probably at around LVL 115 or 119. If your limit is 125 then the rest in vit is probably ideal. I think i left it at 17 at the end.
Rings: cholathry ring, favor ring, havel ring and whatever for 4th slot. Life ring i guess? These are really just recomendations, your ring picks dont really matter that much.
Greatshields:
Dragonslayer Greatshield against lightning damage
Lothric Knight Greatshield against magic damage
If you have a friend to give Wolf Knight's Greatshield then that for physical damage. Othervise black knight shield.
Armor: you dont care about poise so wear whatever you want as long as youre under 70%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's funny that on my second play through I have been hacking through the normal bosses with ease but the gimmick bosses are giving me a ton of trouble. I think I must have just gotten lucky the first time I played because I got him on my second try but Woliner is some absolutely piss poor game design. I keep dying over and over to his stupid loving mist.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Invaded someone who was stuck and didn't know how to progress in the Shared Graves. I decided to politely show them the way...then use my giant door to shove them into the pit
"And a fine dark souls to you"

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Your Computer posted:

I probably died more to Ledo than to all the DLC bosses combined so I owe it to him to do a gimmick run in his honor.

That sounds incredibly bizarre to me, since I've haven't died to Ledo on either of my runs through the DLC, but died more to Midir than the entire rest of the DLC combined.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Paracelsus posted:

That sounds incredibly bizarre to me, since I've haven't died to Ledo on either of my runs through the DLC, but died more to Midir than the entire rest of the DLC combined.

What sort of weapon were you using?

In the blind runs I've seen, people have had the same problems as I did; he superarmors through everything (can't stagger him, often can't even get in one hit without trading), he's practically immune to backstabs and parries, if he hits you once it staggers enough that he's guaranteed a second hit (true combo) which is certain death unless embered and high VIG, his weapon art is ridiculous at catching dodges and helps constantly chip down health, and... probably more I'm forgetting.

Bosses on the other hand are simple; they have a strict moveset that you learn and then you dodge those moves and hit them until they're dead. I only beat the Spear on my first attempt (which was basically a free win) but even Gael only took a few attempts before I had his patterns down. Ledo doesn't have patterns. Ledo doesn't care about your boss-killing skills :negative:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I just poked ledo with charged r2s from the fume and knocked him down. he was super easy on ng+ and didn't do any damage to me. he kept trying to jump attack

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
If you guys are having trouble with a heavy weapon wielding phantom, keep a crossbow in your off hand. Stay just out of attack range and plink him to death. Works great for players too if you can get them to attack twice in a row.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

I just poked ledo with charged r2s from the fume and knocked him down. he was super easy on ng+ and didn't do any damage to me. he kept trying to jump attack

Which R2 does the FUGS have again? I did notice on a different run that the Cathedral Knight Greatsword was 100% guaranteed cheese on any NPC invader; charged R2 "poke" to knock them down, immediately start charging it again and you can stunlock them for however much HP they have. If it's the same attack, it's hilarious if it works against Ledo too :v:

Ledo and Zoey both seem beefed up as far as NPC AI go though. They straight up read button inputs and do stuff that no player is capable of, which both sucks and is weird since no other NPC (including the others of the DLC) seem to act like this.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

So, I was invaded while fighting Twin Princes yesterday. I sent them away with the black crystal, but the more I think about it, the more certain I am that this is what was responsible for ruining my Spear of the Church fight. I wouldn't have seen them come in, and it makes more sense than Unbreakable Patches being a latent dark sorcerer.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

basalt posted:

So, I was invaded while fighting Twin Princes yesterday. I sent them away with the black crystal, but the more I think about it, the more certain I am that this is what was responsible for ruining my Spear of the Church fight. I wouldn't have seen them come in, and it makes more sense than Unbreakable Patches being a latent dark sorcerer.

Were you or the Spear using the Crucifix of the Mad King? One of the outcomes of the weapon art is an orb that follows you and explodes after a few seconds.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've revived Judicator Argo 10 times now trying to get fun Spear fights and all of them have sucked. Its either some idiot with a crappy PvE build or some tryhard with the ultimate meta stomper that treats it like an arena match.

I finally got one good fight and I found out afterwards it was the loving NPC boss :cripes:

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Sapozhnik posted:

If people are looking for another Kay Plays style run of DS1 then check out laurentheflute on youtube

Yeah this is good because she's a lot more literate than your average reddit lore poster, but the backseating is out of control holy poo poo.

The guy who monitored DSCM until he saw her steam tag so he could always appear in her connections, open shortcut doors as an invader and appear in her videos as a bonfire ghost :stare:

hampig fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 7, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I have done the research, compared notes, run algorithms, and tested every variable, and I can confirm that the Giant Door Shield is the most fun weapon to use invading as a mad phantom

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

RatHat posted:

Were you using the Crucifix of the Mad King?
No, but I just looked into this, and it seems as if my opponent was using it; the explosions are identical to the ones I saw. They killed themselves with their own weapon. :eng99:

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

I've revived Judicator Argo 10 times now trying to get fun Spear fights and all of them have sucked. Its either some idiot with a crappy PvE build or some tryhard with the ultimate meta stomper that treats it like an arena match.

I finally got one good fight and I found out afterwards it was the loving NPC boss :cripes:
I'm tempted to resurrect him and try the fight offline.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Honestly I'm pretty sure the offline fight is harder. Most of the time the person you get isn't exceptionally skilled anyways. The offline NPC acts more like a boss but has way more health and does WAY more damage. Or maybe only does that much damage cause I'm on NG+2 and they scale with it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Internet Kraken posted:

My favorite spear tactic is to run once my painting guardian spawns in and then jump the host once he goes after the painting guardian. Sometimes literally, jumping attacks will never not be fun. I haven't been summoned into a 2-4v1 fight as the spear yet somehow.

Internet Kraken posted:

Honestly I'm pretty sure the offline fight is harder. Most of the time the person you get isn't exceptionally skilled anyways. The offline NPC acts more like a boss but has way more health and does WAY more damage. Or maybe only does that much damage cause I'm on NG+2 and they scale with it.

The NPC is also aggressive and uses the spear item a lot while actively attacking you. Every single fight I've been in whether it's one on one or four one one, the spear always does the same poo poo. They get hit once then spend the rest of the match running around, poking the host once, then run away and it just takes forever but since they almost never attack no one's ever really in danger of losing either. As a phantom I've been killed by the guardians way more than I've been killed by the spears because sometimes those guys will just combo your rear end into oblivion if they hit you.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
whoo boy howdy gently caress you if you don't have >800HP at all times in phase two to tank Dancer's lightning fast stunlock combo that she'll use at least three times in the fight or enough armor poise to break out of it :jerkbag:

Just loving do 800 damage with a single attack, don't flip me off in the process by hitting me with multiple attacks that I have no ability to break out of.

(yeah yeah I'm just being pissy. It's a shame too because that fight is really cool otherwise but that one combo can just loving go to hell)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Nuebot posted:

The NPC is also aggressive and uses the spear item a lot while actively attacking you. Every single fight I've been in whether it's one on one or four one one, the spear always does the same poo poo. They get hit once then spend the rest of the match running around, poking the host once, then run away and it just takes forever but since they almost never attack no one's ever really in danger of losing either. As a phantom I've been killed by the guardians way more than I've been killed by the spears because sometimes those guys will just combo your rear end into oblivion if they hit you.

Yeah you'd think the biggest determiner of difficulty in the Spears fight would be who you get as a boss but its actually how good the Paintaing Guardian's AI decides to be. Sometimes they just let me stun them for ages and kill them without issue. Other times they are extremely obnoxious and prolong the second phase of the fight for ages. Almost every Spear acts the exact same way in Phase 2, running away hoping for a heal from the guardian. Whether or not the guardian actually helps properly or acts like an idiot has more to do with whether or not the fight gives me trouble.

The fact that I've done like 25 of these matches now and only lost 4 of them makes it all the more hilarious that people ran away into offline mode.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

The fact that I've done like 25 of these matches now and only lost 4 of them makes it all the more hilarious that people ran away into offline mode.

I find the hardest ones are the fights where the spear just goes full on offensive. I've been killed as a phantom because I wear the ring that makes me look like the host and they just gun right for me and if everyone else is off loving around with a painting guardian a really aggressive spear can be a tough match.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Your Computer posted:

What sort of weapon were you using?

First time was probably sellsword twinblades with old wolf curved sword on my back. Second was Vordt's Great Hammer.

Ledo's Hammer is really powerful, but so heavy it's a bit impractical compared to Vordt's.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Spear fights have been a lot more fun since I respecced to use Friede's Scythe. It's also just a load of fun to go spinning! Using them I got Ledo first try. Also, icing people leads to such good pun potential.

Oxyclean posted:

Really? That guy gave me trouble, and I'm not going to defend him much, but how is he and his run anymore tedious then the road of capra demons/field of Tauros demons from DS1 that looks literally like something you made in an a starcraft map editor when you were 12? Like, almost every single DS1 boss run can be described as "tedious rather then challenging" - Seethe, Bed of Chaos, Gwyn, Four Kings, and pretty much the entirety of Tomb of the Giants.

The Gwyn run is amazing - running through this bizarre ashen world, populated by ghosts of his knights and a few actual knights in your way of getting to him. You can run past them or practice your parrying, but either way it feels right.

KingSlime posted:

To be fair, the last stretch of DS1 is known to be terrible

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

^^

lost izalith is pretty terrible, and the best way to describe duke's archives & tomb o/t giants is "uneven". And don't even get started on the goddamn crystal caves.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

double nine posted:

^^

lost izalith is pretty terrible, and the best way to describe duke's archives & tomb o/t giants is "uneven". And don't even get started on the goddamn crystal caves.

Lost Izalith is the only bit that isn't great, but even that only ever reaches "fine". Just run through a bit of lava onto the rocks, then run forward. Once you open the shortcut, avoiding the Titanite Demon is just a sprint and roll.

Dukes, New Londo and Tomb are all really good, actually.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The last third of Dark Souls 1 is the worst part of it and I'm ok with admitting that. :shrug:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
you have to have some grand kind of delusion to call lost izalith fine. its so poo poo i cant even complete a playthrough of the game anymore. no other souls game has managed to kill my drive to play it so badly as lost izalith. i hate it so much that i even refuse to accept it as a subjective opinion.
edit: me irl thinking about lost izalith https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoATWN68IZA

Iretep fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 7, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cavelcade posted:

Lost Izalith is the only bit that isn't great, but even that only ever reaches "fine". Just run through a bit of lava onto the rocks, then run forward. Once you open the shortcut, avoiding the Titanite Demon is just a sprint and roll.

Dukes, New Londo and Tomb are all really good, actually.

New londo is a lovely boring level. The first half is just a bunch of dark blue linear platforms covered in screaming ghosts you can only hit with a specific buff applied. The second half is like three dark rooms filled with blobs and dark wraiths. The only thing that keeps it from being complete poo poo is the fact that it's probably the shortest stage in the whole game.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Actually there's no level that's not worth playing and exploring to its fullest on the first blind playthrough and incredibly short and trivial to run through on subsequent ones.

even the frozen outskirts would be fine if they had a bonfire in front of the boss (and also a much better boss)

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

CJacobs posted:

The last third of Dark Souls 1 is the worst part of it and I'm ok with admitting that. :shrug:

Yeah it is the worst part of it but the worst part of it is still really good is what I'm getting at here.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Count me with the Duke's Archives defenders. It's a good area with a ton of fun hidden stuff and a good flow to it, though the scripted death is very much not in line with the design philosophy of the rest of the game. Crystal Caves is just bad, however.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nakar posted:

Admittedly it's unclear what the mechanical interaction is between souls, Humanity, and Fire. Even in Dark 1 you were feeding souls to the bonfires to level up but then Humanity made them burn brighter and refresh more Estus, and Firekeepers attract Humanity in great quantities. The whole thing just seems like a cycle Gwyn set up to power the Age of Fire with a cycle of souls and Humanity and as long as everything worked right nobody would catch on, but the souls would inevitably stop cycling (in part due to the greed of the Lord Soul owners in holding on to their powerful souls). The degrading integrity of Humanity from the sprites of 1 to the Effigies of 2 to the Soul Dregs of 3 also suggest the process is not quite the perfect cycle the gods may have intended and being cursed to be part of this cycle is inherently damaging to mankind.

I'm assuming that as ages go on hollows and other beings of great power begin accumulating souls and that absence starves the fire and it needs to be kickstarted by a champion gathering the strongest concentrated souls and feeding them back into the Kiln (or equivalent). You do this in every iteration of the cycle, it's just less and less effective each time and by Dark 3 it might barely do anything but cause the world to limp on a little longer. Compare Link the Fire in Dark 1 to the same thing in Dark 3, in the first instance you basically immolate in an enormous blaze as all those souls are released and the First Flame reignites and in Dark 3 you just... kind of shove the flame into your chest and begin slowly burning barely any brighter than when you're Embered. There aren't even really any promises in Dark 3 to suggest that your linking is going to do anything; Ludleth and Andre basically just say you should do it because it's your duty, there's none of the hope that some NPCs in 1 and 2 have that linking the fire will help anyone or alleviate the curse.
holy poo poo it's all one big metaphor for the unsustainable nature of capitalism

powerful creatures hoarding souls over time promising that there's enough to go around is trickle-down economics

linking the fire is bailing out the banks, a short-term solution to an endless and ever-worsening cycle

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
crying about the archives forced death is like crying a gm cheated in a rpg session.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cavelcade posted:

Yeah it is the worst part of it but the worst part of it is still really good is what I'm getting at here.

Well, yes, even the worst Dark Souls game is still one of the best games ever. But flaws are still flaws man.

Iretep posted:

crying about the archives forced death is like crying a gm cheated in a rpg session.

It just sucks because if you talk to the NPCs (Logan mentions it, and the Anor Londo firekeeper) you can find out that Seath is invincible before you actually go there. But you have to try and fight him anyway to proceed even if you know you can't win- they let you walk back out of the fight through the fog wall, so surely at some point they intended for you to be able to get around it.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
I hadn't noticed Anris sword and scabbard are blue in hue. Elite knight set is blue, crest shields are blue, this kit is among the best looking.

Does anyone have any PS4 save scummed stacks of champion souls they could drop? Or perhaps mule for me? I'd ask Genocyber but I don't want to overwork him :3

CJacobs posted:

Well, yes, even the worst Dark Souls game is still one of the best games ever. But flaws are still flaws man.

It just sucks because if you talk to the NPCs (Logan mentions it, and the Anor Londo firekeeper) you can find out that Seath is invincible before you actually go there. But you have to try and fight him anyway to proceed even if you know you can't win- they let you walk back out of the fight through the fog wall, so surely at some point they intended for you to be able to get around it.

I think I'm going to re-play as much of DS II as I can this weekend since I'm broke.

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 7, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

How is the cycle even defied in DS2 when you/Vendrick walk away? Isn't that just "not linking the fire and waiting for someone else for someone else fo do it," which is effectively the DS1 dark ending? Now before the sequels existed that would make you the "dark lord" I guess, but wouldn't the "actual dark lord" ending of DS3 be the actual way to break the cycle, since there is no more primal bonfire, there's only you, super emberman king of the city of lucid hollows?

They defied it by removing themselves from it. They didn't do anything to the cycle, except flip it the bird and peace out.
The painting does not add more wax to the candle of the world, but it starts a new flame. The cycle still plays out as it was going to, but the player is able to create their own hope with the added ending/whatever

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

CJacobs posted:

I have no problem admitting Lost Izalith is not as good as the rest of Dark Souls. I personally really enjoy the Duke's Archives and think it is about as good as most of DS1, and feel similarly about New Londo and Tomb of the Giants but totally get why people wouldn't like them as much because of the design decisions involved. Lost Izalith is incomplete and it shows, but I found the paths intuitive, most of the fights fun (I enjoy killing what used to be bosses as just chumps now) and Siegmeyer's story segment there cool and rewarding.

I don't get people who decry it as the worst thing ever and I'm comfortable defending it as still Good and Fun, despite also being flawed.

CJacobs posted:

It would have been cool if they had been able to flesh out those parts as much as they seemed to want to. Even if they went back to try and do so now, I don't think it'd turn out feeling right.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Iretep posted:

Usually the ideal endurance is 30-40. 30 if you mostly use light weapons and maybe going toward 40 if you use big heavy weapons that take up stamina each swing.

I have literally never taken Endurance in DS3 above 15, and I don't think I ever really felt like I needed too. Right now I'm using the Sellsword Twinblades, and with Endurance 12 I can use 4LB attacks in a row without stopping, if I had endurance 30 I could do it 6 times in a row instead, which doesn't seem like much of a return for 20 levels of investment.

I do always use the Chloranthy ring, so I guess that makes a difference?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The archives mandatory death is funny in retrospect. I like to think seathe knew you were essentially an immortal undead, who will keep coming back from the nearest bonfire. So he set up a trap to have you respawn at a bonfire inside a jail cell.

His only flaw was hiring lazy serpent people.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
My understanding is how much endurance you need depends on how many swings you can make. I think at least some people consider it an ideal that you can make 3 swings with a weapon before you have to stop. Which is why you need to some times go to 40 endurance with larger weapons, they need more of it per swing. Favor ring at least means you need less endurance. Chloranthy ring doesent really help with this but its still useful. This is the logic in PVP at least. In PVE do whatever really. Though in PVE having more endurance helps with blocking too so theres that to consider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I'd actually forgotten about shields, I don't normally use them. I think in the end I'm just so used to the rhythm of "Dodge, Dodge, strike, rest, dodge, strike, strike, rest" duing boss fights that extra Stamina doesn't really help since I keep stopping to recharge anyways.