Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

You've inspired me, ConfusedUs.

HWK-290: · Jan Ors (25)
Trick Shot (0)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
· Nien Nunb (1)

A-Wing: Green Squadron Pilot (19)
Snap Shot (2)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)
Opportunist (4)

Snap Shot (2)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)
Opportunist (4)

Snap Shot (2)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)
Opportunist (4)
-- TOTAL ------- 100p. --

Two Snaps at 3 dice, one at 4 dice. Then Jan Ions someone for next turn, and the A-wings fire again, one of them getting an extra dice and maybe all three from Opportunist.

Your best bet is your opponent being very confused on what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Icon Of Sin posted:

I completely missed that Mauler would throw an extra dice with Snapshot :getin:

Every single ship in that list has an interesting interaction with Snap Shot.

Both Scourge and Mauler can throw an extra die.

Rhymer can do it out to Range 2 (and stress with tactician at r2)

Turr can boost or barrel roll off the Snap Shot (and then do the other for his actual shot, if he's not yet done it this round)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

You've inspired me, ConfusedUs.

HWK-290: · Jan Ors (25)
Trick Shot (0)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
· Nien Nunb (1)

Snap Shot (2)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)
Opportunist (4)

Snap Shot (2)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)
Opportunist (4)

Snap Shot (2)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)
Opportunist (4)

Two Snaps at 3 dice, one at 4 dice. Then Jan Ions someone for next turn, and the A-wings fire again, one of them getting an extra dice and maybe all three from Opportunist.

Your best bet is your opponent being very confused on what to do.

You can potentially use Jan twice in the same round with that list, if you dial in greens and start unstressed. Once if something lower PS than her gets into snap shot range during the activation phase. Then she'll move, clear her stress, and can trigger again during the combat phase.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
How is Snap Shot utilized? It seems kind of anemic at just two dice at range 1, unless I'm missing something.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

IronSaber posted:

How is Snap Shot utilized? It seems kind of anemic at just two dice at range 1, unless I'm missing something.

That's pretty much it. However, it happens in the activation phase before people have actions (usually), so if you do roll hits, you're pretty likely to get through.

But for it to be effective, you pretty much need to build around it somehow.

My absolute favorite Snap Shot carrier is Nien Numb (T-70 X-Wing) with R3-A2. You can trigger the stressbot on the snapshot, and then Nien doesn't take a stress because he discards stress if there's an enemy at range 1 in his arc (which is the same requirement as snap shot)

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

You can potentially use Jan twice in the same round with that list, if you dial in greens and start unstressed. Once if something lower PS than her gets into snap shot range during the activation phase. Then she'll move, clear her stress, and can trigger again during the combat phase.

Yup.

ARC-170: · Braylen Stramm (25)
· R3-A2 (2)
Tactician (2)
Alliance Overhaul (0)

T-70 X-Wing: · "Snap" Wexley (28)
Push The Limit (3)
Targeting Astromech (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)
Pattern Analyzer (2)

T-70 X-Wing: · Nien Nunb (29)
Push The Limit (3)
· R4-D6 (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)
· Black One (1)
Pattern Analyzer (2)

This list completely demolished me at League. I managed to kill Snap but with all the stress being dumped on me, Snap doing K-turns, boost/TL/Focus every god damned turn with Nien doing basically the same, I couldn't get much else through. He flew super aggressive right into my face and then had all day to reposition while I either couldn't turn around or couldn't get him in arc. Super frustrating.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Yup.

ARC-170: · Braylen Stramm (25)
· R3-A2 (2)
Tactician (2)
Alliance Overhaul (0)

T-70 X-Wing: · "Snap" Wexley (28)
Push The Limit (3)
Targeting Astromech (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)
Pattern Analyzer (2)

T-70 X-Wing: · Nien Nunb (29)
Push The Limit (3)
· R4-D6 (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)
· Black One (1)
Pattern Analyzer (2)

This list completely demolished me at League. I managed to kill Snap but with all the stress being dumped on me, Snap doing K-turns, boost/TL/Focus every god damned turn with Nien doing basically the same, I couldn't get much else through. He flew super aggressive right into my face and then had all day to reposition while I either couldn't turn around or couldn't get him in arc. Super frustrating.

That looks like a fun list. I probably would have put Stay on Target + targeting astromech on Nien though.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I have some questions about TLTs, possibly awfully pedantic.

1: Does TLT remove stealth device? It's an attack, but the attack doesn't actually do damage, it just deals a damage, you know?

2: If you're in front of something with TLT, say Miranda, so in their primary firing arc, but they attack with TLT, does autothrusters kick in?

3: If Miranda (I think it's Miranda) makes a TLT attack, and chooses to remove one attack die to regain a shield, but TLT has two dice rolls per 'attack,' does Miranda roll one less die on both TLT rolls, or just the first one?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

TheCenturion posted:

I have some questions about TLTs, possibly awfully pedantic.

1: Does TLT remove stealth device? It's an attack, but the attack doesn't actually do damage, it just deals a damage, you know?

2: If you're in front of something with TLT, say Miranda, so in their primary firing arc, but they attack with TLT, does autothrusters kick in?

3: If Miranda (I think it's Miranda) makes a TLT attack, and chooses to remove one attack die to regain a shield, but TLT has two dice rolls per 'attack,' does Miranda roll one less die on both TLT rolls, or just the first one?

No worries!

1. Yes, since it's damage that resulted from an attack.

2. Autothrusters don't kick in so long as you're within Range 2 and the target is inside your firing arc, turret or no turret.

3. Miranda only removes the die from one of the attacks, so you would get one 2 die attack and one 3 die attack.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Got to play in a fun Team Furball match at my FLGS! It was 3 v 3, each person getting 33 points to spend on one ship, and each person gets two ships to play. One ship is the primary for the person, the second is if/when your ship blows up you can 'respawn' on the battlefield with it.

I did not come prepared, as I only had a prinout of a few ships to use that were anywhere near 33 points. So I ended up flying The Inquisitor with Push the Limit, Twin Ion Engine mk. II, and TIE/v1 title.

I was the only one to survive without losing a ship on my team. :downs: I was attacked by Fenn Rau from behind though, slinging 4 dice. Rolled 2 hits and 2 crits. I had just target locked a T-70, giving me an evade token. Ended up rolling ALL EVADES. No damage taken. Everyone was floored, including me.

We ended up losing when time was called. But I had a ton of fun, so I feel good about it.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

1. Yes, since it's damage that resulted from an attack.

To be more accurate, you lose stealth device when you're Hit by an attack. i.e. Your opponent had more hits and crits than you had evades at the compare results step.

The TLT deals one damage when it Hits. This Hit also cancels stealth device.

Taking damage has nothing to do with losing stealth device. You can lose your stealth device if you're hit by a tractor beam attack for example. And you don't lose it from some types of damage dealt during an attack such as Ruthlessness, Darth Vader, feedback array, painbot, etc.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

hoiyes posted:

To be more accurate, you lose stealth device when you're Hit by an attack. i.e. Your opponent had more hits and crits than you had evades at the compare results step.

The TLT deals one damage when it Hits. This Hit also cancels stealth device.

Taking damage has nothing to do with losing stealth device. You can lose your stealth device if you're hit by a tractor beam attack for example. And you don't lose it from some types of damage dealt during an attack such as Ruthlessness, Darth Vader, feedback array, painbot, etc.

Yeah, you're right. TLT is labelled an attack, it throws red dice, you throw green dice. More red than green = SD lost. What happens after that is immaterial.
...or is the attack resolved, then TLT says 'cancel all die results,' which means there weren't more red than green, meaning SD isn't lost?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
"Each time the attack hits deal one damage. Then cancel all dice."

If cancelling the dice retroactively cancelled the hit then the TLT would do nothing.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nothing feels better than Tractor Beaming something with Stealth Device and focus/evade and getting one hit through.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Nothing feels better than Tractor Beaming something with Stealth Device and focus/evade and getting one hit through.

Except them subsequently rolling a crit on the debris, maybe.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

hoiyes posted:

"Each time the attack hits deal one damage. Then cancel all dice."

If cancelling the dice retroactively cancelled the hit then the TLT would do nothing.

I guess that's what I'm getting at. Is it a 'hit,' or is it a non-hit damage effect that happens to use dice to determine if you happen to take a damage?

Or, put another way, why include the 'cancel all dice' verbage?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
It's an on hit damage effect, cancel all dice is there to prevent damage also being applied normally as per attack rules.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Yeah, that's about what I figured.

Ok, good to know. Going to a local tournament on Sunday flying Soontir/Carnor/Turr. Pray for TheCenturion, for he knows not what he does.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

"Hit" specifically means a condition in which there exist more red hit/critical results than exist evade results. You need to cancel the results or else there could be more than one result going through.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, local tournament in my scene is having these restrictions

quote:

X-Wing Combat Air Patrol
What is X-Wing CAP? Its a new format of tournament that I want to run, that steals blatantly from Warmachine. The idea is simple, each faction will have a list of 4 pilots that will be part of their CAP.
As I want this to be open to anyone, you are free to fly whichever ships you want. Using pilots that are part of the faction CAP just have added incentive to use them. For each pilot from that list that you add to your squadron, you gain free upgrade points.
Bonus Upgrade Points (these are cumulative):
If you include 1 CAP pilot = 1 free point
If you include 2 CAP pilots = 3 free points
If you include 3 CAP pilots = 5 free points
If you include 4 CAP pilots = 7 free points
The CAP lists are:
REBEL CAP
Gemmer Sojan
"Dutch" Vander
Jek Porkins
Nera Dantels
IMPERIAL CAP
Turr Phennir
"Chaser"
Major Rhymer
Juno Eclipse
SCUM CAP
4-LOM
Graz the Hunter
Dace Bonearm
Laetin A'Shera

So, CU, your snap 7s list gives me two cap pilots right there.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Anyone else going to Stele Open?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
My go-to, "here is the difference between being Hit and doing Damage" example and reference point is always Lt Blount's pilot ability:

Lt Blount's pilot ability posted:

When attacking, the defender is hit by your attack, even if he/she does not suffer any damage.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I have more ideas for repaints than I have talent to execute them.
I'd like a Spanish matador theme on an X Wing for Biggs, seeing as how he's the guy who draws aggro.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Can someone please recommend a good youtube channel for watching X-Wing? I have been using vids for my workout time, but have run out of Team Covenant stuff.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Helion posted:

Can someone please recommend a good youtube channel for watching X-Wing? I have been using vids for my workout time, but have run out of Team Covenant stuff.

Trinity Squad Gaming is easily on par with TC and may even be better.

They also put out a LOT more content, at least one video a week. Usually two.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, local tournament in my scene is having these restrictions

So, CU, your snap 7s list gives me two cap pilots right there.

Does this mean to build a 100 point list and, if you use the specified points, you get extra points on top of the base 100?

So if you did snap 7s you'd get to build the list at 103 points?

If so, drop Scourge for Zeta Leader with Snap Shot. Scourge's ability is the most difficult to trigger of all the pilots in the list. ZL lets you take a stress to boost an attack by 1, if you're not stressed.

So as long as you dialed in a green you could Snap Shot and start the round unstressed, take a stress to make it 3 dice, do the green to clear stress, then use his ability again that round to boost your primary attack.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Helion posted:

Miniwargaming.

Only if your definition of good is "How are they this hilariously bad at the game?"

Also it's possible they stopped making X-wing videos.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Helion posted:

I like Fly casuals stuff too.

And CU, good call on ZL. I don't have the Gozanti anyways.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Trinity and Fly Casual, got it. And maybe miniwargaming for the lols. Thanks all!

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Playing in a tourney in a couple hours and have decided to run 2 Scouts and Fenn with plasma torps and mindlink. Sitting at 99 and wondering if I should put 4Lom on one of the scouts to make it a nice round 100?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

Playing in a tourney in a couple hours and have decided to run 2 Scouts and Fenn with plasma torps and mindlink. Sitting at 99 and wondering if I should put 4Lom on one of the scouts to make it a nice round 100?

It really depends on if you think you need the bid or not.

I prefer 4-LOM myself. If I'm going for the alpha strike, I'm going all in.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

For one point, 4-LOM is certainly worth it. You'll be kicking yourself when they roll 3 eyeballs on your torp strike if you don't.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Two wins tonight with snap sevens, it's amazingly fun (and seems to actually be somewhat competitive, too).

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

canyoneer posted:

I have more ideas for repaints than I have talent to execute them.
I'd like a Spanish matador theme on an X Wing for Biggs, seeing as how he's the guy who draws aggro.

I want to do up an E-Wing in orange, blue, silver and white with a "33" on each wing, but my painting queue is far too deep to waste time executing an X-Wing dad joke.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I want to do up an E-Wing in orange, blue, silver and white with a "33" on each wing, but my painting queue is far too deep to waste time executing an X-Wing dad joke.

Idgi

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Patrick Ewing.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Patrick Ewing.

Boo this man

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

I thought it was funny. :shrug:

Admiral Joeslop