Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rynder posted:

For the aftermath split cards, since they're considered instant/sorceries, can i say, counter the cast of the instant part of it with warping wail?

https://twitter.com/TabakRules/status/850133022015758336

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

xanthan posted:

Am I missing something? Yahenni gets a bonus when something your opponent controls dies and saccing gets it indescribable.

i misread the card but anything thats "sac this, this gets +1/x" can go in that spot.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Jabor posted:

You're being attacked by a toolcraft exemplar, a nerd ape, and this guy. You have a 3/3. Are you just going to take 7 and not block anything ever?

"this card is really good if you have a ton of action and your opponent doesn't" isn't exactly a strong selling point

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

little munchkin posted:

Just saying if the format is full of creatures and your gameplan is "play a bunch of removal spells that don't actually kill those creatures, plus this 1/2 dude" your gameplan sucks rear end

I believe its your point that sucks rear end.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

its me glenda posted:

i misread the card but anything thats "sac this, this gets +1/x" can go in that spot.

add zulaport cut throat to the combo earlier posted.

forget fling ZCT just wins the game outright.

bw aristocats.

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 7, 2017

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

little munchkin posted:

"this card is really good if you have a ton of action and your opponent doesn't" isn't exactly a strong selling point

It's a 1/2 with prowess for one red mana it would probably see play in Standard if it had no other abilities, the fact that it can allow you to push through a Heart or Kalitas is just gravy.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

its me glenda posted:

add zulaport cut throat to the combo earlier posted.

mardu aristocats

So 3 different ways to turn kind of weak creaures into a win out of nowhere... Amazing. Any other combos with the cat? Can we somehow make a deck full of nothing but cat combos?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

so yahenni can still be here since the goal is to kill with ZCT...

so yeah as long as zulaport and either yahenni or salvager (preferably yahenni since he can protect himself with indestructible) and lili are on board, dropping the cat is a win. obviously longer and more obtuse to set up than just regular copycat, but it'd be not as expected for sure.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

I'm not sure what the incentive is in building a 4 card combo deck that needs to play out multiple 4+ drops most of which aren't individually powerful in a standard format with a 2 card combo with a 3 drop and a 4 drop that also gets to run reasonable cards giving it a good backup plan.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

xanthan posted:

So 3 different ways to turn kind of weak creaures into a win out of nowhere... Amazing. Any other combos with the cat? Can we somehow make a deck full of nothing but cat combos?

5 color cat combo with marvel.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
So I played another Standard Throwback league. Got Suicide Black. Faced off against three different White Weenie opponents. gently caress off WotC.

e: welp just after posting this I got Forbiddian so all is forgiven.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Hellsau posted:

So I played another Standard Throwback league. Got Suicide Black. Faced off against three different White Weenie opponents. gently caress off WotC.

whymodostillsucks.txt

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hellsau posted:

White Weenie seems really good. I haven't lost so far with it.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-cont...27-09_10_47.png

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh curses are back, neat.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Is that a control deck win-con, or just too expensive?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

BizarroAzrael posted:

It's a 7 mana permanent that lets your opponents choose what they're sacrificing. It's way too slow, unless there's some kind of cute Curse synergy.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

BizarroAzrael posted:

It's pretty close to just being a difficult-to-remove 5/5. I don't think we've ever had a 7-drop finisher ever be good enough just on the back of being difficult to remove. Pearl Lake Ancient is the closest I can think of, but it was a faster clock, couldn't be countered, and had flash.

I think this card is probably bad.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It seems okay if you can gum up the board bad enough, and BG can ramp into it.

But on the other hand it still won't win you the game until turn eight or something so might as well just play a big dude instead.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Or your opponent just plays a Gideon and +0's every turn. Seems kinda bad, probably unbeatable if you land it in limited though.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I'm glad there's a watermarked story card for the moment the white main character is righteously offended by the black natives' practices, judging them by his own standards.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

To be fair they weren't the native's practices until Bolas brainwashed them all. I will presume Bolas is not white though he is an imperialist.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Sorcery
If Approach of the Second Sun was cast from your hand and you already cast another spell named Approach of the Second Sun in this game, you win the game. If not, put Approach of the Second Sun in its owner's library seven cards from the top and you gain 7 life.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Walked posted:

Sorcery
If Approach of the Second Sun was cast from your hand and you already cast another spell named Approach of the Second Sun in this game, you win the game. If not, put Approach of the Second Sun in its owner's library seven cards from the top and you gain 7 life.

That's going to be obnoxious in limited.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Walked posted:

Sorcery

Interesting I'll give it that. I want to see the face of someone who casts it, then seven turns later doesn't know what happened because they cracked an evolving wilds in the interim.

Weak card displaying interesting design, might be stupid in EDH.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is the translation off, or does it get around countermagic? It only talks about being cast, it doesn't sound like it needs to resolve to actually do anything. You get the "put back in library" on casting.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

C-Euro posted:

Is the translation off, or does it get around countermagic? It only talks about being cast, it doesn't sound like it needs to resolve to actually do anything. You get the "put back in library" on casting.

What makes you think that? It's part of the resolution of the spell just like everything else.

Now, the check for whether you cast one earlier in the game, that won't care whether or not the prior one(s) was countered. But the one that wins you the game definitely needs to get through in order to, well, win you the game.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

C-Euro posted:

It doesn't say "when you cast ~" so it's on resolution. The "win the game" condition doesn't care if the previous cast resolved though

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

BJPaskoff posted:

That's going to be obnoxious in limited.
If by obnoxious you mean unplayable outside of joke decks, yea.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Ein Sexmonster posted:

If by obnoxious you mean unplayable outside of joke decks, yea.

yea 7 mana is usually a deal-breaker for strong cards that affect the board, let alone a card that takes 7 more turns to have an impact

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

little munchkin posted:

yea 7 mana is usually a deal-breaker for strong cards that affect the board, let alone a card that takes 7 more turns to have an impact

Yeah. Especially in Limited, "wins the game in 7 turns if left unanswered" is not an uncommon resume for a 4 or 5 mana card to have, let alone 7. The one thing about this card is that the potential answers to it are much narrower (can't block it or remove it) but it also doesn't affect the board so that's probably still not a net positive

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Walked posted:

Sorcery

Activate Marvel, cast this, put it 7 from the top, pass, next turn, untap, draw, now 6 from the top, activate Marvel, look at the top 6, cast this, win. I'm sure that won't be a common thing at all.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This is... good?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ThePeavstenator posted:

Activate Marvel, cast this, put it 7 from the top, pass, next turn, untap, draw, now 6 from the top, activate Marvel, look at the top 6, cast this, win. I'm sure that won't be a common thing at all.

If you're casting it off Marvel, you're not casting it from your hand.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Jabor posted:

If you're casting it off Marvel, you're not casting it from your hand.

didn't see that :downs:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Can't you Marvel, on upkeep marvel to remove 6 then draw it then cast again?

E: I mean I know it's 7 Mana, but just checking that's how it would work, be shuffled to point 7, marvel lets you look at top 6 then put on bottom, thus it's next card

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 7, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mcmagic posted:

This is... good?

A solid 2-for-1 even if your opponent has answers, and an even bigger house if they don't. Just getting to eat tokens is pretty amazing too. (If you're playing the mirror, you'll want to be the second one to embalm their copy...)

The statline is a bit undersized. There's a notable 4/4 flyer with useful abilities for 3WW running around the format still...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Jabor posted:

A solid 2-for-1 even if your opponent has answers, and an even bigger house if they don't. Just getting to eat tokens is pretty amazing too. (If you're playing the mirror, you'll want to be the second one to embalm their copy...)

The statline is a bit undersized. There's a notable 4/4 flyer with useful abilities for 3WW running around the format still...

I want to self mill the poo poo out of this... (And then cheat it back in with Liliana)

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 7, 2017

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I want to self mill the poo poo out of this...
The Junk Delirium dream lives on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mcmagic posted:

I want to self mill the poo poo out of this...

A dev article said there will not be efficient self mill spells like Grapple or Commune with the Gods in this set, just FYI.

• Locked thread