Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
That's a big if, there's about 50 of them total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Built the mission last night but I need to tweak it. I should keep a gag reel of hilarious failures. A few of note.

• An SA-9 Battery in mid Myanmar decides to fire upon a neutral 747. This sets every neutral to hostile and Myanmar goes on an ocean wide / sky wide killing spree.
  • Our jets got stuck in a pocket next to a no-fly zone and all crashed.
  • One jet drove suddenly south for Australia and crashed.
  • A bombing run had nothing but malfunctions on the GBU's.
  • I mis-clicked and added a battalion of cutting edge SAM's instead of the proper ones. Hilarity ensues as everything dies.

Mostly it's been timing the flights so everyone arrives where they need to go at the same time. That and getting the Quick Turn Around working right. I'm going to polish it up a bit, make sure everything fires right, and if people are interested stick it up on the Steam Workshop.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
I wonder who would be first to bomb the poo poo out of the Burmese for going all MH17 on every single plane in Asia, China, India, or the US?

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Yooper posted:

Built the mission last night but I need to tweak it. I should keep a gag reel of hilarious failures. A few of note.

• An SA-9 Battery in mid Myanmar decides to fire upon a neutral 747. This sets every neutral to hostile and Myanmar goes on an ocean wide / sky wide killing spree

:psyduck: That 747 probably had it coming, to go low and slow enough to get picked off by an SA-9

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Yooper posted:

• One jet drove suddenly south for Australia and crashed.

Australia had it coming. They know what they did :colbert:

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

We should work on getting the software in our gripens upgraded so they can carry the SDB, aka the best mud-hut-blower-uper ever.

There are some other potential (as in potential in the real world) gripen upgrades that aren't in the database currently, does anyone know how I could rectify that?

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Dong Quixote posted:

:psyduck: That 747 probably had it coming, to go low and slow enough to get picked off by an SA-9

I think just the act of getting fired upon is probably what triggered the faction freak out.

Although, then again, how would the 747 or anyone else know that an SA-9 fired on it if it didn't get hit?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

CBJamo posted:

We should work on getting the software in our gripens upgraded so they can carry the SDB, aka the best mud-hut-blower-uper ever.

There are some other potential (as in potential in the real world) gripen upgrades that aren't in the database currently, does anyone know how I could rectify that?

CBJamo hit me up on this and I don't see why not. It's in the database, is not a major rework, and doesn't add anything ridiculous. We'll work it into the story somehow. Speaking of that, we haven't heard much from Jack, Our Man in Washington, lately...

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Jack is probably in a drunk tank in Utica after realising that Lockheed left in '95

Thinking about the SEAD mission again, we could also go for the Polish Su-22s should they ever become available.

Quinntan fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 7, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Can you record the scenario tests and share them afterwards because I really want to see Myanmar take on all comers.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Quinntan posted:

That's a big if, there's about 50 of them total.

There aren't really many dedicated SEAD platforms full stop. I think all tornados can hang HAARMs though.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Federal Prosecutors executed a search warrant on the Hired Goons HQ looking for financial records involving Jack's stock trades. Fortunately for us that's just a PO Box inside a Hoboken UPS Store. We tried to contact Jack, all I received was a cryptic text about getting out of the country.

For whatever reason he stopped in Long Island, got shitfaced drunk, picked a fight inside an Arby's with a handicapped man, then this :

He called me from a liquor store in Maine. His contacts, three Canadians, are going to get him across the border. At that point he's confident he can hop a cargo flight in Gander and eventually make it to Zurich. We'll see, but he's down and out for now and will be hiding in a trailer park in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

say hi to Ricky, Julian and Bubbles for us!

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There aren't really many dedicated SEAD platforms full stop. I think all tornados can hang HAARMs though.

I think the missile they use is the ALARM, and it depends a lot on the operator. The Brita used the interceptor version as its SEAD bird for some unknown reason. Honestly this would have been a lot easier if we'd done the boring thing and bought F-16s.

Edit: Goddamnit Jack

Quinntan fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 7, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Looking forward to nihilist Arby's tweets about the inevitable grinding destruction of the soul at the end of a lobbying career.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Little note, but those Verba SAMs that are suspected to be on board the freighters are cutting edge Russian MANPADS using multiple spectrums to filter out false contacts and decoys. Same principle as the modern US Stingers.

A guy with those on the freighter deck would be able to make a pretty damning GoPro video of us losing all our Sk60s, had we sent them there. So good thing we didn't!

Please make sure Jack pays his respects to Philadelphia Collins at the park. He was a true hero.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Quinntan posted:

I think the missile they use is the ALARM, and it depends a lot on the operator. The Brita used the interceptor version as its SEAD bird for some unknown reason. Honestly this would have been a lot easier if we'd done the boring thing and bought F-16s.

I'm working on getting the brazilian MAR-1 (which they plan to integrate with the gripen soon-ish) into the database so that Yooper doesn't have to gently caress around with manually handling it. I'm also looking into the Gripen-F growler variant and getting that into the db. Information about that is very scarce at the moment though, so it might not happen.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Jack's professional lobbying activities really make me wonder just what the gently caress would be going on if the votes had been for Jimmy instead.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
I think the Gripen variant they're planning to put the MAR-1 onto is the Gripen NG that Brazil is buying/building, not the Cs that we operate. The Gripen F is the Gripen NG two-seater.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Jack's professional lobbying activities really make me wonder just what the gently caress would be going on if the votes had been for Jimmy instead.

We should've been able to get all three. :v:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

After a convoluted series of improbable events, our lobbyist becomes President of the United States.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Quinntan posted:

I think the Gripen variant they're planning to put the MAR-1 onto is the Gripen NG that Brazil is buying/building, not the Cs that we operate. The Gripen F is the Gripen NG two-seater.

This is all correct. I'm hoping that we'll eventually have the cash to upgrade our fleet to Es and get some Fs. This is not a short term solution to our SEAD problem.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

As play goes on, will we get the opportunity to replace Jack with someone more professional? Or is this part of the fun? I don't recall drunkards being part of the squadron in Strike Commander...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

What do you mean, more professional? Looks professional to me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Quinntan posted:

Germans use HARMs as do the Italians.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Davin Valkri posted:

As play goes on, will we get the opportunity to replace Jack with someone more professional? Or is this part of the fun? I don't recall drunkards being part of the squadron in Strike Commander...

Yes. I figured one "flavor" per theater of operations.

You may still have the opportunity to hire Jimmy the Juggalo, Zack the Animal, or whatever other character stumbles into our path.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Davin Valkri posted:

Jack is a professional Evil Lobbyist, and he is complying to the Evil Lobbyist Code of Conduct to the letter.

If you wanted someone less evil, you should have voted for that murderous juggalo.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

All the GBUs hitting that 15% failure or whatever is bad luck but please let stuff like that slide in future. I don't mind failing hard if we have enough left to try building ourselves back up from the ashes

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

simplefish posted:

All the GBUs hitting that 15% failure or whatever is bad luck but please let stuff like that slide in future. I don't mind failing hard if we have enough left to try building ourselves back up from the ashes

If it was during the actual mission and not while I was building the scenario I would have absolutely let it slide.

poo poo like that is hilarious.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
But but think about our KDR :ohdear:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

simplefish posted:

It's always fun when you're trying to figure out whether you botched something that's your fault or whether the RNG hates you or those idiot players who came up with this drat fool plan screwed something up.

It's a bit less fun when it's a strike that's going to have a big impact on the course of a campaign and the players have laid down significant cost and effort to make it happen.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Bad luck happens. I hope that if we end up with a bunch of duds during the mission and everything goes to poo poo, well, tough luck. If we are assured protection from bad rolls so that we succeed, why even bother to play?

Hopefully we live long enough to be able to buy reliable equipment, but right now we're stuck with what we've got. That said, there's a reason I said we should keep our liquidity up rather than piss away all our money on F4s, which incidentally have an even higher failure rate than those bombs.

Good times.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

If there's one thing I learned from being a massive RPG nerd it's that when major parts of the plan aren't subject to a dice roll, the GM isn't doing his job :colbert:

Losing is fun.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Crazycryodude posted:

If there's one thing I learned from being a massive RPG nerd it's that when major parts of the plan aren't subject to a dice roll, the GM isn't doing his job :colbert:

Losing is fun.

Lol just you wait until the Ground Element Phoenix Command

In a test game a guy got shot and landed on a mine and wiped the whole team

in fact a piece of shrapnel bounced off a guy's bone, exited, and struck another guy in the foot

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 7, 2017

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Phi230 posted:

Lol just you wait until the Ground Element Phoenix Command

In a test game a guy got shot and landed on a mine and wiped the whole team

This might seem like a strange time to make this request given the increasingly grim outlook for the prospects of the ground team's survival but could my pilot, Guns Guns Guns, join the ground team as a riflemerc until a flight position opens up? If he dies to a strange mine misadventure or planning negligence or ancillary effects from evil lobbying I will understand.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Crazycryodude posted:

Losing is fun.

Making up for small scale setbacks is pretty rad.

Zaodai posted:

Bad luck happens. I hope that if we end up with a bunch of duds during the mission and everything goes to poo poo, well, tough luck. If we are assured protection from bad rolls so that we succeed, why even bother to play?

Hopefully we live long enough to be able to buy reliable equipment, but right now we're stuck with what we've got. That said, there's a reason I said we should keep our liquidity up rather than piss away all our money on F4s, which incidentally have an even higher failure rate than those bombs.

Good times.

Ahh, but the phantoms break before take off, so they can be more effectively dealt with by just having more. Meanwhile the frogfeet remain slow missile bait.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I might be the the outlyer here, but I'd advise against hiring hatchet murderer clowns

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cathode Raymond posted:

This might seem like a strange time to make this request given the increasingly grim outlook for the prospects of the ground team's survival but could my pilot, Guns Guns Guns, join the ground team as a riflemerc until a flight position opens up? If he dies to a strange mine misadventure or planning negligence or ancillary effects from evil lobbying I will understand.

I'm making the LP thread tonight as to not clutter this thread. Just got a little more business in this thread to do voting wise before I get started.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

We could have also just not bought garbage and had money for when good equipment becomes available, but why plan for tomorrow when you could leave your money broken down on the tarmac today!

[EDIT]
Also what the hell are we using to simulate ground combat that has bone deflection for shrapnel. That sounds awesome (and Dwarf Fortressy in complexity).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Cathode Raymond posted:

Sure! Or it can be your brother, Guns Guns Guns Guns, and you can keep your slot. The two LP's will be run separately. Phi's gonna have his baby, I'll run this, there'll be some overlap. But for the most part if his people die a horrible and fantastic death it won't light all our jets on fire or anything.