Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747
08:or, if you don't want to let this put a damper on your day, head over to Rinkeby and join the street parties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.
I don't see anyone celebrating right now Karpaw. Except you.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

I don't see anyone celebrating right now Karpaw. Except you.

Indeed. A perverse irony of life, that nazis and islamists are probably in competition over whose dicks are more hard right now.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
drat, this is terrible. I hope the wounded make it and that the families of the deceased get the help they need.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I've heard absolutely nothing about Fridhemsplan except "unconfirmed gunshooting" so dunno what to make of that. Thinking it might be unrelated, or nothing at all.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Police has. Confirmed shots at Fridhemsplan. T centralen being evacuated

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

https://polisen.se/Stockholms_lan/Aktuellt/Handelser/Stockholms-lan/2017-04-07-1453-Kontroll-personfordon-Stockholm/

Polisen får samtal via SOS Alarm om att någon person i fordon har skadat andra personer på Drottninggatan i närheten av Klarabergsgatan.

Uppdatering 15.25
En lastbil har kört på personer på Drottninggatan i närheten av Klarabergsgatan.

Det har förekommit uppgifter om skottlossning men det är inte bekräftat i nuläget. Detta ska ha skett i närheten av/vid Åhlens centralt.

Det finns skadade personer men vi har inga vidare detaljer om skadeläget och antalet skadade.

Denna sida uppdateras när vi vet mera.

Mediasamtal: 010 56 90216, 010 - 56 405 55 och 010 - 56 373 59.

Uppdatering 15.40
Polisen uppmanar att man ska undvika city-kärnan runt Sergels torg och de centrala delarna där omkring.

Information som lämnas om pågående händelser är preliminär och kan komma att ändras.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

Preventing people from going on religiously motivated killing sprees is also an option. (not saying its garantueed to be the case here mind you)
You're the one putting religion on it before anyone knows.

This kind of terrorism is essentially unpreventable from societal cost/benefit standpoint. It's just too easy to steal a HGV and run people over or just go somewhere popular and start stabbing randomly.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Time to put anti-vehicular attack blocks on large streets.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

Hard to do without making things a nightmare for the stores taking in deliveries.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
They apparently caught him alive, which is good because that means he's going to rot, instead of being a martyr (yeah, we don't know about the motivation but a) I mean that's their MO and b) they all think they are martyrs for one dumb thing or other anyway).

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Biggest thing is to just continue normally. I hope Omnipollos Hatt is open tomorrow. I looked at their beer list for the weekend and it looks awesome.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

The kind of bike infrastructure planning I can get behind. To be real safe let's just put tank traps on all surface streets

BigglesSWE posted:

Hard to do without making things a nightmare for the stores taking in deliveries.
Cargo bikes errrrywhere. If you need something too voluminous to carry that way, an itinerary permit is just a background check away!

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 7, 2017

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

gently caress it, let's go the Zermatt way. All traffic in town (except emergency vehicles) are tiny electric golfcarts, basically.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BigglesSWE posted:

There are barriers that can be set up/lowered, right?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

DarkCrawler posted:

Oh for sure, I know for a fact that there are some of those at Drottninggatan right outside Riksdagen. But I think those would have to be lowered by security personell. I'm just imagining the logistical nightmare to have to lower and rise those anytime a delivery truck arrives to 7/11.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
unironically ban cars inside cities

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747

BigglesSWE posted:

Indeed. A perverse irony of life, that nazis and islamists are probably in competition over whose dicks are more hard right now.

You mention islamists despite nothing being known about the perps yet.

Are you perhaps assuming that the attack had something to do with islam? :smug:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

BigglesSWE posted:

Oh for sure, I know for a fact that there are some of those at Drottninggatan right outside Riksdagen. But I think those would have to be lowered by security personell. I'm just imagining the logistical nightmare to have to lower and rise those anytime a delivery truck arrives to 7/11.

Not that this too couldn't be somehow controlled for, but the car used in this attack was (reportedly) a beer delivery truck.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Malmö war boys shouldn't be allowed north of Skåne.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Karpaw posted:

You mention islamists despite nothing being known about the perps yet.

Are you perhaps assuming that the attack had something to do with islam? :smug:

I also mentioned nazis which you seem to have glossed over. A bit of a defence reflex from your part I suppose.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Kurtofan posted:

I would have to get rid of my own car, then. I'm still for it, gently caress it. So long as I have an alternative for delivery/moving poo poo that's not ruinously expensive, my car can go gently caress it's carbon emitting self.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

The kind of bike infrastructure planning I can get behind. To be real safe let's just put tank traps on all surface streets

Even in a car free, mostly truck free biking and public transport utopia one can still hijack a bus or something and just drive that recklessly enough to kill passengers and bystanders. Some determined fucker can even drive-by-knife people from his bike if he wants to, if not simply jogging up to them by foot. It's just a waste of resources to try and prevent these things with anything else than preemptive actions such as surveillance and other general and targeted actions aimed to prevent radicalization.

Heinz Hynkel
Nov 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

BigglesSWE posted:

I also mentioned nazis which you seem to have glossed over. A bit of a defence reflex from your part I suppose.

why would Nazis do this? However, its too early to say who did it. I remember when Breivik did his terror action. After I heard about the bomb in Oslo, I was sure it was Islamic. But it was not.
If I have to guess I would say it may be an ethnic Swede. A convert. They are the most insane of all.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Dirk Pitt posted:

Biggest thing is to just continue normally. I hope Omnipollos Hatt is open tomorrow. I looked at their beer list for the weekend and it looks awesome.

Might be a shorter queue tomorrow than it was today.

Heinz Hynkel
Nov 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Nice piece of fish posted:

I would have to get rid of my own car, then. I'm still for it, gently caress it. So long as I have an alternative for delivery/moving poo poo that's not ruinously expensive, my car can go gently caress it's carbon emitting self.

Would you ban city-busses too? Those are huge, can get taken and also gives the bonus of being filled with more victims.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Heinz Hynkel posted:

Would you ban city-busses too? Those are huge, can get taken and also gives the bonus of being filled with more victims.

Really? I can see a lot of ways to prevent city buses from being taken over. It's also filled with people who can potentially stop a terrorist, and any kind of Speed scenario is just too loving stupid to even fathom.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Heinz Hynkel posted:

why would Nazis do this? However, its too early to say who did it. I remember when Breivik did his terror action. After I heard about the bomb in Oslo, I was sure it was Islamic. But it was not.
If I have to guess I would say it may be an ethnic Swede. A convert. They are the most insane of all.

To me there's no logical "why" to justify these kind of things. But for transparancy I feel it prudent to note how the man who attacked a school in southern Sweden some time ago was initially thought to be a jihadist, and turned out to be a nazi instead.

This looks more like an islamic attack, in that it used a heavy vehicle in much the same way as previously used in London, Berlin, Nice. This does not PROVE that it is of a islamic nature, mind you, but the similarity is noticeable.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nice piece of fish posted:

Really? I can see a lot of ways to prevent city buses from being taken over. It's also filled with people who can potentially stop a terrorist, and any kind of Speed scenario is just too loving stupid to even fathom.

Yeah, don't Swedish city buses have a separate driver's compartment or what?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yeah, don't Swedish city buses have a separate driver's compartment or what?

Not really no. It's the usual door-thingy in between the entry door and the driver, but no glass or anything of the kind.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

evil_bunnY posted:

You're the one putting religion on it before anyone knows.

I was speaking in general terms based on other truck attacks of similar character last year.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
And though some newer models are much more enclosed they are still not impossible to enter from the outside, just more difficult. Which is good for the safety of the driver during accidents in most normal cases.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
State security services and the police are holding a press conference now. 17:41

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Motherfuckers. Hope all of you are safe. :(

Nazis like Nye Borgerlige are already jerking themselves off over how Sweden deserved it for letting in refugees.

Heinz Hynkel posted:

why would Nazis do this? However, its too early to say who did it. I remember when Breivik did his terror action.

Well, he wrote a 1,500-page manifesto as to why and he's a nazi. But given the MO, it's likely to be Daesh-inspired.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Yep that sure is the issue, not that we give ISIS-soldiers privileges for being away fighting and appointing utterly incompetent people who aren't qualified to run a gas station to run our efforts against terrorism and as chief of police.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

So the police wants everyone to stay home tonight because sthlm is "dangerous" now. The gently caress? Knowing them they won't take a 'haha, no' answer, but waaat
Has that been the reaction in any other city after an attack?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randarkman posted:

If it's an Islamic terrorist then I would wager it's a fair chance he doesn't even know what a salafist is and is some kind of self-radicalized fuckwit who wants to "do something that matters" and strike out at the west (which turns up being Sweden cause that's where he is) and swear allegiance to ISIS or something in the process and dedicate the attack to them.

We'll see what this ends up being.

If lol

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DarkCrawler posted:

If they can be lowered for goods delivery, then the guys current MO still works: steal HGV with remote/transponder, mow down peds.

Basically:

Kurtofan posted:

It wouldn't solve the terrorism part, but it would make life so much better the rest of the time

Heinz Hynkel posted:

You're just adorable

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

So the police wants everyone to stay home tonight because sthlm is "dangerous" now. The gently caress? Knowing them they won't take a 'haha, no' answer, but waaat
Has that been the reaction in any other city after an attack?

It's a Friday and a Friday night would normally mean that the innercity is crammed full with party-goers, and a lot of traffic in the subway. How is it NOT advisable to go out with this kind of warning after an attack?

My general (NOT directly witnessed mind you, I sit in my flat in Örebro) impression is that the Swedish police is handling this very, VERY seriously, and basically takes it all "säkra före det osäkra". Better safe than sorry.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heinz Hynkel
Nov 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

evil_bunnY posted:

You're just adorable

What do you mean with that?