Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Lordshmee posted:

Just downloaded what appears to be a 1.2MB patch. Wonder what it did.

i hope it fixed the misplaced weapons on that fungoid bb artillery bow section!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
it's pretty neat that the precursor chains are actually doable now. RIP cybrex

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Lordshmee posted:

Just downloaded what appears to be a 1.2MB patch. Wonder what it did.

Jamor @ Paradox posted:

Hi all.

We've spent the day processing your feedbank on the Banks release and have pushed an optional beta patch, 1.5.1, to address high priority issues. If it is found to be stable over the weekend, we will push it to 100% live early next week.

The beta version of the 1.5.1 (Banks) patch is now available on Steam.
Right-click on Stellaris and choose "Properties"
Click on "Betas" tab
Select "1.5.1_beta" (if you can't see it, restart Steam)
Download update
Version should be 1.5.1

##############################################################
######################## HOTFIX 1.5.1 ########################
##############################################################

###################
# Bugfix
###################
* Ironman now saves when exiting to main menu
* Ironman games now properly show an icon to mark them as ironman
* Fixed a bug where a hotjoining player without the Utopia DLC could not pick countries that used Utopia features
* Fixed a bug that was causing nerve stapled pops to never be enslaved
* Fixed Philosopher King civic not applying to your starting ruler
* Fixed AI weights for Megastructures
* Fixed: Tooltip for sectors were in wrong order
* Megastructures can no longer be built around planets/stars with Anomalies
* Fixed improper reference to game mechanic (pops) in event texts
* Fixed an issue with movement arrows acting strange when lots of orders had been queued
* Hive Mind will now stop processing pops of other species when they're gene-modded to gain the Hive Mind trait
* Fixed randomized species sometimes being generated with the Uplifted trait
* Players can no longer reform governments to have invalid civics
* Pop faction promotion/suppression modifiers are now removed when the faction is destroyed
* Fixed out-of-sync where killed ships had their movement updated
* Infested planets no longer destroyed
* Fixed missing text for the news feed in the launcher

###################
# Interface
###################
* Fixed overflow bug causing ethic attraction to show wrong values
* Fixed faction demand displaying wrong tooltip
* Fixed missing species class-related descriptors for Robots
* Adjusted AI Citizen Rights tooltip

###################
# AI
###################
* Fixed bug where AI cancelled fleet order to attack hostiles within borders

###################
# Modding
###################
* on_modification_complete is executed after changing the species of all affected pops and after updating the empire's founder species (if applicable). Fix FROM (species) scope of that event not working.
* Fixed an issue where a set_citizenship_type effect missing the country reference
* Fixed an issue where you were not able to override specific defines in the common/defines files

###################
# Performance
###################
* Fixed a memory leak with potential pop factions[/SPOILER]

We're happy to receive all feedback and we hope you have a fun weekend playing!

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Wow, this expansion looks substantial! Did they add a new way for happy, peaceful xenophiles to win? I always feel guilty when I play bad guys in video games.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
You can WIN Stellaris?!

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
the win conditions in the game are the same (not particularly interesting) ones as before afaik

but pacifist seems much more appealing than it was, it gives big boosts to unity and gives you extra core systems, both of which are very strong (although I haven't played with them yet)

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I'm so bad at this game.

Please stop invading me. :negative:

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

TsarZiedonis posted:

Wow, this expansion looks substantial! Did they add a new way for happy, peaceful xenophiles to win? I always feel guilty when I play bad guys in video games.

Ignore the win conditions, play until you're personally satisfied with the outcome.

But yes, I've been having fun with my pacifists. Haven't tried xenophile yet, but pacifist and especially pacifist/xenophobe is really nice now.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
Depending on how the game plays out, I've been able to "win" through the federation victory condition a few times, but I usually play on medium or smaller maps.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

quick noob question:

for the Expansion tradition, the "Reach for the Stars" branch says: "for the purposes of colonizing and building Frontier Outposts, systems count as being half the regular distance away"

can someone explain what this means? does it affect my borders or something?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

AndrewP posted:

quick noob question:

for the Expansion tradition, the "Reach for the Stars" branch says: "for the purposes of colonizing and building Frontier Outposts, systems count as being half the regular distance away"

can someone explain what this means? does it affect my borders or something?

Colonizing and Frontier Outposts normally have a cost in influence that depends on distance from your borders. Reach for the Stars reduces the "distance" for this calculation in half. It could possibly have been more clearly worded.

Jamor @ Paradox posted:

Fixed an issue where you were not able to override specific defines in the common/defines files

But I thought that was a deliberate middle finger to the mod community!

(sweet I can play with 4 ethos points again. It's the little things in life.)

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 7, 2017

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

Colonizing and Frontier Outposts normally have a cost in influence that depends on distance from your borders.

huh, I did not realize this. thanks!

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
After I posted my 25 Tile Homeworlds mod last night, someone in the comments requested one that did the same thing for orbital habitats.

I doubt you guys will get much use out of this one, but I figure I might as well post it here anyway: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=900168923

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

the win conditions in the game are the same (not particularly interesting) ones as before afaik

but pacifist seems much more appealing than it was, it gives big boosts to unity and gives you extra core systems, both of which are very strong (although I haven't played with them yet)

going pacifist at the start to get a strong substantial base of well-built planets+unity trees completed and then transitioning over to something else seems like a hell of a move, i'm probably gonna do that with my current fanatic pacifist/authoritarian game once i've got three trees down and i get itching to start some wars

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ducky ar lá.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
drat, I didn't realise from the dev diaries just how closely the Traditions feature apes Civ V civics. I'm not complaining mind you, it's a neat system.

The new faction system seems really cool too. So far I have three factions; One is pushing for better xeno relations, one is all for scientific advancement and the last one just wants me to make more money. Makes sense as I'm playing xenophile materialists. Gonna be interesting to try keep things balanced to not piss them off.

Also it's nice to see that a democracy with a mining station mandate leader is still good way to be swimming in influence.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I almost sort of like it. Previously my homeworld would be nearly maxed out of pops and buildings by the time I was hitting my 3rd of 4th colony. With slower pop growth and the people migrating much more often (my people are even sedentary) it seems like my homeworld and is never quite full. I don't know how the new system works though, my homeworld has empty buildings and 100% hab and happiness but people migrate away to poo poo holes that were just colonized.

Also I haven't really sperged out and run a full test but sectors seem to be doing ok.

I do like it but I think for the long term there needs to be a reasonable limit and/or some way to lock certain tiles so it will always contain a pop by moving them around if the former pop moves out. That way you can prioritize so that your incoming or food doesn't take a massive nosedive that you're scrambling to figure out why just because you've had 5 pops move out from a major planet and they all came off tiles you really needed worked.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Loving the new expansion, but another question: I have some pre-sentient roaches on a tomb world that I built a frontier outpost on that I'd love to Uplift. Unfortunately, the button stays frayed out! I researched the uplift tech, but it says there aren't any of them in my territory!

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

OwlFancier posted:

Ducky ar lá.

I enjoyed this.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

TsarZiedonis posted:

Loving the new expansion, but another question: I have some pre-sentient roaches on a tomb world that I built a frontier outpost on that I'd love to Uplift. Unfortunately, the button stays frayed out! I researched the uplift tech, but it says there aren't any of them in my territory!

You have to actually colonize the world. I don't have any idea why. If you have robots, build a colony ship and send a robot to the planet.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

TsarZiedonis posted:

No matter how many patches the game gets, the incomprehensible decision to require players to colonize planets in order to uplift pre-sentients remains.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Ohh... but it's a tomb world. I need to colonize the tomb world to uplift the people who can colonize tomb worlds?

I'll guess I'll invent robots.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

TsarZiedonis posted:

Ohh... but it's a tomb world. I need to colonize the tomb world to uplift the people who can colonize tomb worlds?

I'll guess I'll invent robots.

Welcome to pre-sentients. :v:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Jesus Christ this game is the most opaque bullshit ever to mod.

I got it working, changed to test something, changed back, and it's stopped working. I'm using the beta patch, too.

Edit: why does it have be this dumb text format bullshit and not Lua like normal games?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Speaking of evil birds...

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Does the response to first contact change anything, or is it just ethos-controlled flavour?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh, the new game menu now saves the last settings.

GOTY2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Can I eat people yet?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

OwlFancier posted:

GOTY2017

I thought I spotted that but I wasn't sure :allears:

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

OwlFancier posted:

GOTY2017

Thank loving christ. I tend to restart the same game until I get a spawn that I like. It was so tedious manually re-selecting the galaxy generation settings every single time.

(Whenever I start from Earth, I also like to make sure that Sol is about halfway between the core and the rim like it is in reality)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Okay, so I can override parts of defines\00_defines.txt but if I want to change another text file, say, strategic_resource\00_strategic_resources.txt I have to include the whole file.

What the gently caress is this retarded poo poo? Why are the static defines not all in Lua? Whose loving idea was this nonsense?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I could've sworn you used to be able to uplift presentients if the planet was in your borders. Hoping this is a bug, otherwise they're useless.

Migration is now interesting - if you colonise too quickly your core worlds will empty out asap. I suspect they've messed up the weights slightly - as it is, Sedentary is now a no-regrets pick as it'll give you the old rate of migration.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Aethernet posted:

I could've sworn you used to be able to uplift presentients if the planet was in your borders. Hoping this is a bug, otherwise they're useless.

Migration is now interesting - if you colonise too quickly your core worlds will empty out asap. I suspect they've messed up the weights slightly - as it is, Sedentary is now a no-regrets pick as it'll give you the old rate of migration.

I know for a fact you could because I used to love invading and forcing them into my slave caste.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Okay folks, so:

Goon Race Mod News

Obviously the races we had before are now somewhat lacking! What does this mean for you?

It means I'm going to effectively completely wipe every goon race from the mod by switching over to a new race mod pack called Awful Utopia. Oh no!

It also means Submissions are now open!

Feel free to make brand new races, or tweak and resubmit old races. As always, aesthetic mod dependencies are fine, so if you want to use the Goonbots or something feel free, just make sure to link me to it in the post where you submit the race that uses it!

One race per post, start the post by saying SPECIES SUBMISSION, and then include the data chunk in a code block.

An image of your Empire summary is recommended but not required.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

GotLag posted:

Okay, so I can override parts of defines\00_defines.txt but if I want to change another text file, say, strategic_resource\00_strategic_resources.txt I have to include the whole file.

Here's what really irks me: For events, you can define a namspace. This allows other files using that namespace to override specific entities in the original file. So if an event file has a namespace = foo and events with id = foo.1 and foo.2 and foo.3 etc, then in a new file I can use the same namespace and override just foo.1 and none of the rest.

As far as I can tell, only event files work this way though. :iiam:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

GlyphGryph posted:

One race per post, start the post by saying SPECIES SUBMISSION, and then include the data chunk in a code block.

Or they could use pastebin and not poo poo up the thread (that's my job)

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

GotLag posted:

Or they could use pastebin and not poo poo up the thread (that's my job)

:agreed:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah people did that last time and it means if I screw something up or want to look it up later then it's not searchable. But whatever, so long as you got SPECIES SUBMISSION in the post body it will probably get in.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Got back into this because of expansion, trying a pacifist build. Got trounced by another empire with 10k fleet strength compared to my 1k. Is there any way for a peaceful empire to defend against this that i'm missing? I tried federation but didn't get enough members in time.

edit: vvvv pretty much what i ran into

Barent fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Holy poo poo ! How does this fucker with 7 planets have a 9000 fleet. i can only muster 3000 at the most and we are the same technologically speaking!

• Locked thread