Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I can imagine it was probably totally warranted for someone to take someone like Gerry T down a peg in a room full of experienced Magic designers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Boxman posted:

And for funsies, here is a list of creatures with CMC >=6 from BFZ block - the stuff that R&D were "surprised" would be in standard with Champion of Rhonas.

I'm not seeing anything obviously gross other than Ulamog. Drowner and World Breaker are good, obviously. Gladehart Calvary might do something adorable with -1/-1 counters.

they're not being cast so they dont get that trigger.

Count Bleck posted:

I didn't mean "there are bad Jace cards", I meant it in the context of hey, there are multiple cards that say "Planeswalker - Jace".

I'm not really a wrestling guy but go on.

overly pushed as a card on its own (roman reigns is a wrestler who is pushed more than he's received), kinda shoved in magic players faces with how many gideons are running around in standard right now (wwe tries to make sure roman reigns is always focused down on), theres a bit of a physical resemblance, etc

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Maybe the Gerry T thing was in here: https://soundcloud.com/cedtalks/cedtalks-5114

WHO KNOWS i aint listening to it

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Yay Soul-Scar Mage! Can't be assed to figure out how to post images, but 1/2, R, Prowess, non-combat damage to control as wither. :woop:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tubgoat posted:

Yay Soul-Scar Mage! Can't be assed to figure out how to post images, but 1/2, R, Prowess, non-combat damage to control as wither. :woop:

We spent more than a page talking about it already.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

I can imagine it was probably totally warranted for someone to take someone like Gerry T down a peg in a room full of experienced Magic designers.

The cards that even experienced Magic players and armchair designers come up with are universally terrible. It takes a lot of work for R&D to not completely gently caress the game up. As bad as the mistakes they've made in the past and recent history are, they're nothing compared to what could happen to Magic, so I could totally see someone having to tell a Magic pro that their ideas "need some work" so to speak.

Update on the Varolz rule - that rule looks like it really was written just to keep someone from putting infinite +1/+1 counters on a creature with a Memnite in the yard and a Varolz on the battlefield.

quote:

Varolz, the Scar-Striped gives creature cards scavenge and define their scavenge cost. But wait, isn't exiling the card a cost to activate a scavenge ability? Varolz doesn't give it that cost. So if you've got a Memnite in your 'yard… No, just no. This rule defines "scavenge cost" to be only the variable mana component, and the keyword itself provides the cost of exiling the card.

There were no other cards this rule was relevant to except Varolz until now. In my eyes, writing a new game rule is more preferable to giving a printed card errata, but it's funny either way.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

What's the over/under on people trying to put a haste creature in off of this and immediately attack with it?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Sickening posted:

We spent more than a page talking about it already.

:saddowns: Skimmed thread, looking for image 'cause there was an image for everything else and didn't see it. Where did everyone land on Red aggro being a thing again?

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

What's the over/under on people trying to put a haste creature in off of this and immediately attack with it?

Whatever is it I'm taking the over, I 100% expect to see that happen at a pre-release.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tubgoat posted:

:saddowns: Skimmed thread, looking for image 'cause there was an image for everything else and didn't see it. Where did everyone land on Red aggro being a thing again?

It needs more creatures and more burn. A lot of set to spoil, but the odds are pretty low.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Maro does say that starting with Hour of Devastation they're going to cut back on the number of Gatewatch PW cards.

It's stunning how WOTC managed to cargo cult all the wrong reasons from the success of the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

its me glenda posted:

Oh, oops. That makes World Breaker worthless, obviously. Ulamog is probably still worth cheating out though. Drowner actually is an ETB effect; guess they figure it wouldn't be too broken if people flickered it or cheated it in (which, to be fair, is probably right.)

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

dragon enthusiast posted:

It's stunning how WOTC managed to cargo cult all the wrong reasons from the success of the Marvel Cinematic Universe

This is what makes me saddest about the direction of Magic in the last... 5 years? The introduction of planeswalkers was great, I'm always in favor of having another dimension to gameplay, but :wtc: I am disgusted with the game becoming a vehicle for their bland high-fantasy IP, instead of a cute backdrop for the greatest game ever invented.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Card is nuts.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Boxman posted:

Oh, oops. That makes World Breaker worthless, obviously. Ulamog is probably still worth cheating out though. Drowner actually is an ETB effect; guess they figure it wouldn't be too broken if people flickered it or cheated it in (which, to be fair, is probably right.)

the funniest one is void winnower

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

Card is nuts.

It's Elvish Piper that has to attack.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Angry Grimace posted:

It's Elvish Piper that has to attack.

Yeah, exactly, and you can't even use it every turn. The only upside is that it doesn't die to shock.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

That wouldn't work anyway, would it? Attackers would've already been declared by the time it enters the battlefield.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

dragon enthusiast posted:

But enough about DC.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Attorney at Funk posted:

I'll always remember that story GerryT told about his R&D internship where he was kind of depressed and Tom LaPille took him aside to give him a pep talk like, "you need to understand you're not the smartest guy in the room anymore. get over it"

Here's a more full summary from that CED talks I posted:

GerryT: "About a month in i feel like im doing work i can be proud of. I have this meeting with Tom and I don't remember how it got on this, but I'm saying something like 'okay things are going great, but things I don't like and don't enjoy are XYZ' and Tom was like "'look you're not the smartest person in the room anymore, get over it.' It was awesome. I was like okay, that makes a lot of sense, and had a much clearer understanding of what was going on. Tom was the person I felt most comfortable bouncing ideas off of, and part of that was that he was direct and to the point with me."

So more or less it sounds like he appreciated the feedback rather than was offended by it.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

InterrupterJones posted:

That wouldn't work anyway, would it? Attackers would've already been declared by the time it enters the battlefield.

I think that's the joke? Trying to do something you can't.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

InterrupterJones posted:

It wouldn't work, but it sounds enough like something that would work that I expect people to think it does.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Boxman posted:

Drowner actually is an ETB effect; guess they figure it wouldn't be too broken if people flickered it or cheated it in (which, to be fair, is probably right.)

the words of a person who has never played against eldrazi displacer/drowner of hope

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Elyv posted:

the words of a person who has never played against eldrazi displacer/drowner of hope

Are you saying that's unfair in the format where people play 1 mana 10/10s, or the format with a turn four infinite combo?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

uninverted posted:

Are you saying that's unfair in the format where people play 1 mana 10/10s, or the format with a turn four infinite combo?

Mostly it's a joke but surprisingly it's better in the former.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

It wouldn't work, but it sounds enough like something that would work that I expect people to think it does.

I played a sealed Aether Revolt league against a player who had vehicles on the field. I stopped her on the entering combat step (I am aware of the ruckus this caused a few weeks ago), and asked her if she was going to do anything as the active player. She declined, so I played my instant that tapped a creature. I asked again if she wanted to do anything, and she declined. She moves to declaring attackers and crews a vehicle to swing it. I kind of just mentally facepalm and let it happen as I was going to lose the match anyway. After the match I explained the phases of combat, and how she had to crew her vehicle in the beginning of combat phase if she wanted to attack with it.

My point being: there are absolutely people who are going to try and swing the creatures they cheat in. Magic is one of the few traditional games (I don't role play or Warhammer) where most people who play don't understand the fundamental structure of the game. Obviously there are things that I don't know along with convoluted interactions, but things like the stack, costs, and turn order are kind of necessary to understand if you are going to play the game.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

CompeAnansi posted:

Yeah, exactly, and you can't even use it every turn. The only upside is that it doesn't die to shock.

If it just exerts once and you get to put in something for free it's great.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mcmagic posted:

If it just exerts once and you get to put in something for free it's great.

But you're putting a hill giant, that dies without value, into a contemporary Standard deck.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The card seems pretty bad.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rinkles posted:

But you're putting a hill giant, that dies without value, into a contemporary Standard deck.

Yeah, it just has to attack, which is no problem when there's no removal. Doesn't even matter if it gets wasted by Heart of Kiran afterwards.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The problem with the card is the creatures you want to be cheating into play are better off being a Marvel deck where the combo piece doesn't die to Grasp.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

here is a halfassed standard brewed RDW thoughts

4x Soul Scar Mage
4x Insolent Neonate
2x Bedlam Reveler
2x Glorybringer

4x Chandra, Torch of Defiance
4x Tormented Voice
4x Fiery Temper
4x Shock
2x Hungry Flames
4x Harnessed Lightning
4x Incendiary Flow
4x Magma Spray
2x Insult // Injury

14x Mountain
4x Smoldering Marsh

//sideboard//
3x Unlicensed Disintegration
4x Flame Lash
3x Chandra, Flamecaller
unknown

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

DangerDongs posted:

The card seems pretty bad.

Solid in limited, great in EDH, complete garbage everywhere else.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

its me glenda posted:

here is a halfassed standard brewed RDW thoughts

4x Soul Scar Mage
4x Insolent Neonate
2x Bedlam Reveler
2x Glorybringer

4x Chandra, Torch of Defiance
4x Tormented Voice
4x Fiery Temper
4x Shock
2x Hungry Flames
4x Harnessed Lightning
4x Incendiary Flow
4x Magma Spray
2x Insult // Injury

14x Mountain
4x Smoldering Marsh

//sideboard//
3x Unlicensed Disintegration
4x Flame Lash
3x Chandra, Flamecaller
unknown

1. Glorybringer and 18 lands is bad.
2. This is less of a RDW and more of a straight up burn deck in which case it makes more sense to me to splash black since you would have more burn that can go to the face.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

goth smoking cloves posted:

1. Glorybringer and 18 lands is bad.
2. This is less of a RDW and more of a straight up burn deck in which case it makes more sense to me to splash black since you would have more burn that can go to the face.

yeah as i started thinking good cards it turned into burn and black def gives access to good spells that hit face. i was thinking of maybe a few co brutalities in there but im not sure i wanna go too deep into black, unless you think theres better fits for rakdos burn in addition to those?

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

its me glenda posted:

I feel dumb, what is the difference between "put a creature card from you hand onto the battlefield" & "When X enters the battlefield, Support x"

if a creature is put into the battlefield, that creature did not enter it? :confused:

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

No Luck Needed posted:

I feel dumb, what is the difference between "put a creature card from you hand onto the battlefield" & "When X enters the battlefield, Support x"

if a creature is put into the battlefield, that creature did not enter it? :confused:

There's a difference between CASTING and something entering the battlefield. Casting is paying the mana costs then playing it from your hand. A creature can enter the battlefield without being cast through certain other effects. Some cards like Worldbreaker trigger when cast, not when they enter the battlefield.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

No Luck Needed posted:

The Eldrazi tend to have on-cast triggers rather than ETB effects, which makes it so you get the effect even if the spell is countered, but also makes them worse to cheat into play.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It's simple!: one is putting it into play, the other is playing it.

(a joke)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

its me glenda posted:

yeah as i started thinking good cards it turned into burn and black def gives access to good spells that hit face. i was thinking of maybe a few co brutalities in there but im not sure i wanna go too deep into black, unless you think theres better fits for rakdos burn in addition to those?

Cut // Ribbons could be an okay choice but, I wouldn't run a whole set. You could add Scrapheap and Bomat or Key (If you want to be cute.) And run Disintegration. Maybe Goblin Dark-Dwellers as your 5 drop instead of glory bringer?

• Locked thread