Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

duz posted:

Yes, he's still on irc when he's got free time.

There's an IRC channel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

pixaal posted:

There's an IRC channel?

#sysadmn on synirc. Or #bofh I don't remember which is which or why there are multiple channels for arguably the same thing. probably the same reason we have 3 AA support working in IT threads.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Because people in one don't like people in the other and so on.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GreenNight posted:

Because people in one don't like people in the other and so on.

No, its even dumber than that. People argue the thread more too fast so having 3 threads of the same things make it easier for them to catch up or some non-sense. And we are suppose to be the logical ones.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I meant multiple irc channels.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sickening posted:

No, its even dumber than that. People argue the thread more too fast so having 3 threads of the same things make it easier for them to catch up or some non-sense. And we are suppose to be the logical ones.

we can have three simultaneous conversations without some crazy quote-matrix

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

we can have three simultaneous conversations without some crazy quote-matrix

I mean we can, because we are, but the justification is just nonsense.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Crowley posted:

I would buy that for my dad. He's a retired journalist who never really got past old-school manual typewriters. He's basically hyper-speed two-finger pecking away when he writes, and he destroys on average three keyboards per year that way.

I'd put an IBM Model M up against his hunt and peck fingers.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

They got much less traffic when the 4 IT threads were the same, everyone always forgets about the small shop thread! It turned into quoting from 4 pages back but the discussion had moved on and a bunch of E/N.

They are divided kind of silly, something with more focused threads might work with a single general discussion / bitching thread but the current system works fine after you lurk and learn what each thread is actually for.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

GreenNight posted:

I meant multiple irc channels.

Well when one of them is run by a redditor who doesn't like SA...

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

mewse posted:

Grip strength is really important for a lot of sports - boxing, muay thai, rock climbing, etc

Can we get Muay Thai Helpdesking? "Hello, this is Helpdesk, <inarticulate Bruce Lee screech>." Reboot servers by leaping into the air in slow motion, piledriving both feet down into the case, and slo-mo *twisting* one foot back and forth with the accompanying grinding and crunching noises...

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
we reset 3,000 passwords today, all at the same time

I am one third of our helpdesk and one of our other helpdesk people called out today. :suicide:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
powershell makes that super trivial. write it once, set your search base, watch the other 2999 complete without a single touch.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

powershell makes that super trivial. write it once, set your search base, watch the other 2999 complete without a single touch.

I think its more of 3k people now have their password reset and probably more than half them are going to call and ask dumb questions.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

^^^^ fuuuuuuccckkk youuuuuuuuuuuu

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I think he means that all 3000 users are calling in complaining the Internet is broken.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Mirthless posted:

we reset 3,000 passwords today, all at the same time

On purpose?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Have you not heard the good word of Read Only Friday?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Sickening posted:

I think its more of 3k people now have their password reset and probably more than half them are going to call and ask dumb questions.

Super Soaker Party! posted:

^^^^ fuuuuuuccckkk youuuuuuuuuuuu

I think he means that all 3000 users are calling in complaining the Internet is broken.

yep

half the people called in because they changed their passwords yesterday when we sent out the company wide email saying "We are changing every password tomorrow at noon" and the other half called in wanting to know why my password isn't working, wait a minute, I didn't hear anything about a password change!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Love it when people ignore IT emails which is always.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

devmd01 posted:

jesus christ I didn't even notice it was Friday today

Last night my coworker ran some upgrades on our VNXe but it crapped out and a bunch of our lovely Linux VMs went into read-only mode and had to be restarted and manually fscked which is far less exciting than it sounds. On the plus side my boss is convinced I'm some kind of sysadmin superman and says he wants to get me a raise as soon as possible.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 7, 2017

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Mirthless posted:

yep

half the people called in because they changed their passwords yesterday when we sent out the company wide email saying "We are changing every password tomorrow at noon" and the other half called in wanting to know why my password isn't working, wait a minute, I didn't hear anything about a password change!

Every month this happens at our other site (sub domain) they change their password then go to use resources on the main domain and they get an error. Site contact doesn't let me know about the problem for a few hours and by that time it's resolved itself since the domains sync every 15 minutes.

I keep telling the site contact to tell the users that if they change their password they need to wait 15 minutes and that is the issue. He has never translated this for me to provide to the users and my attempts at communication appear to be failing. I don't mind since it's an email that when I see I just say all set and I look like a hero that solved an issue in 2 minutes (if someone reads timestamps, if not my all set gets to the users a few hours later and I don't see them active on any services until they get that).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

devmd01 posted:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

anthonypants posted:

jesus christ I didn't even notice it was Friday today

Last night my coworker ran some upgrades on our VNXe but it crapped out and a bunch of our lovely Linux VMs went into read-only mode and had to be restarted and manually fscked which is far less exciting than it sounds. On the plus side my boss is convinced I'm some kind of sysadmin superman and says he wants to get me a raise as soon as possible.

Just smile humbly and don't ruin the moment. Congrats, BTW.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Happy Friday from the microbrewery right around the corner from work!

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

No this time I actually have been offered a job as a QA and shook on it/accepted the offer from the manager of development and my boss has started interviewing people to backfill my position. Dev wants me to start next week but I cant if HR doesnt do its thing :v:

Your new boss needs a spine. When I went from high level helpdesk to systems administration in the same company they kept refusing to backfill, finally my new manager came up to my desk and said "8AM monday, report to the sysadmin office" "But they haven't backfi..." "Not your problem, not my problem."

And this is how the night shift at my webhosting company lost it's only T3 support guy/manager and they had to scramble to replace me. Turns out I was so valued by my previous department they were trying to wait out the sysadmins until they had to hire. But not valued enough to give me a raise in that position.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

devmd01 posted:

No ring

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Sickening posted:

We had people losing their loving minds about a "How to use skype for business teleconference" e-mail we sent out. People completely ignored the skype for business part in the subject and saw "Important teleconference" below and assumed a round of layoffs were coming and started literally climbing up the walls.

I poo poo you not, most office workers are barely evolved beyond chimpanzee intelligence, and rank within the company only further devolves them.

This goes double for our company president who had the verve to argue with me about an e-mail she sent that got blocked by a customers spam filter which explicitely stated "Part of the reason this was weighted so heavily in the spam system is the e-mail was sent with no subject, if the e-mail you sent was legitimate, please add a subject line and re-send."

:downs: "Ugh I've sent blank subjects before and it was fine."
:sci101: "Whatever. Just do what I said and it will work."

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Rhymenoserous posted:

This goes double for our company president who had the verve to argue with me about an e-mail she sent that got blocked by a customers spam filter which explicitely stated "Part of the reason this was weighted so heavily in the spam system is the e-mail was sent with no subject, if the e-mail you sent was legitimate, please add a subject line and re-send."

:downs: "Ugh I've sent blank subjects before and it was fine."
:sci101: "Whatever. Just do what I said and it will work."

A company we do business with has their spam filter setup to allow any message through the filter that has 'XYZ Corp is great" in the body.

So all of their emails have that embedded in them with no font color so it's "invisible"

:eng101:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

devmd01 posted:

A microbrewery that serves in plastic cups, a shameful microbrewery.

I wish I was salary so I could duck out at 5 instead of staying until 6 to make up time. I might just say screw the 1 hour's pay, my boss wouldn't care as long as the report I'm working on is presentable by Tuesday morning.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

A microbrewery that serves in plastic cups, a shameful microbrewery.
It sounds like he got it as take-out

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

devmd01 posted:

I did some spring cleaning today. I found a box I apparently never opened in the two years I've been here that is full of obsolete cables. why do I need a few dozen parallel cables?

Going to keep 1-2 of each type just to have on hand since I know if I throw the entire box out suddenly something is going to turn up and I'll have to source one. This thing isn't a small box either. I also found a box labeled NEW PHONE SYSTEM DO NOT THROW AWAY that was full of nothing but broken down cardboard for every phone neatly piled into one box. (My predecessor was big on saving original boxes).

It just looks so much better. Still more stuff in boxes next to shelving that management wont let me throw away. I have an entire wall taken up by the previous computers that are "backups", like a core 2 duo would be able to run anything we do.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The BBC used to take the approach of clearing out entire room fulls of stuff that wasn't being used right at that moment and scrapping it all, then in a few weeks time if a project required a certain thing they'd just buy a new one. The justification was that it wasn't worth the time to inventory, test and maintain a bunch of stuff that wasn't actively being used, and there's no point storing it if you aren't 100% sure that it's working, but presumably a healthy amount of "lol not my money" was involved as well.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

pixaal posted:

I also found a box labeled NEW PHONE SYSTEM DO NOT THROW AWAY that was full of nothing but broken down cardboard for every phone neatly piled into one box. (My predecessor was big on saving original boxes).

At my old job, all the empty cubicles had boxes from network switches in the overhead compartments

"what if we need to send one back"

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

A company we do business with has their spam filter setup to allow any message through the filter that has 'XYZ Corp is great" in the body.

So all of their emails have that embedded in them with no font color so it's "invisible"

:eng101:

Thats so dumb... I mean it's hilarious but dumb.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

"I'm having trouble printing my bosses emails. We print them out and mail them to him"

:fuckoff:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Please tell me that you responded to that by saying that them accessing his email was a security violation.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Please tell me that you responded to that by saying that them accessing his email was a security violation.

Pff if we did that everything around here would come to an utter halt.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
I saw this and I thought of you guys

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

mikemelbrooks posted:

I saw this and I thought of you guys

Sign me up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000