Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

I'm dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

The Muppets On PCP posted:

Not a problem if you use it in the studio or if you don't move around too much when you play.

Fair dos, the type of schmucks who buy this wont be moving around... they'll probably even be sitting on a chair. And have their head buried in the sheet music.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Can you imagine how tedious it must be to come up with topics for a guitar nerd podcast that has had zillions of hours of episodes?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
lol at the idea of breaking a cable in

sout
Apr 24, 2014

lol at the idea of breaking a cable in

90% of my practice time is spent whipping the cable across the floor

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

In fairness to that facebook group, they savaged that guy.

edit: Also, in case one of you didn't absorb the juicy, tender LOL: they're called "evidence" audio.

Please post the savagery.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I bought all the cables I own/and will ever need at a Sam Goody twelve years ago

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

s.i.r.e. posted:

Please post the savagery.

Excuse me, savagery implies a modicum of wit. The more appropriate, but less interesting, description would've been pile-on. "You're dumb that isn't how poo poo works" x1000000

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Excuse me, savagery implies a modicum of wit. The more appropriate, but less interesting, description would've been pile-on. "You're dumb that isn't how poo poo works" x1000000

Even better. :colbert:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

s.i.r.e. posted:

Even better. :colbert:

Well well well... it turned into a poo poo show and the whole thing was deleted and a stern warning issued to the group and wow these are all adults.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Feh, I need that 4K Tone.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I kinda love and hate this all at the same time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OKZQSAIiyc

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

His shirt needs more wolves.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Spanish Manlove posted:

Nothing to hate here man, this is pretty sweet.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Does youtube suck tone? I have heard that it does but it sounds OK on my lovely desktop speakers.

No disrespect to Mister Paisley. That guy is obviously way up there on the guitar nerd scale.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

never heard of a G-bender but B-benders rule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KJBMyPvWOM

this is old but gave me a lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM0SnRlUByQ

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 6, 2017

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Not stupid, but guaranteed to provoke arguments aplenty about tone so I'm for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck0fmku1orA

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

stillvisions posted:

Not stupid, but guaranteed to provoke arguments aplenty about tone so I'm for it:

That's kind of a novel idea but it won't be adopted by anybody who knows what they're doing because while yes the body shape of a guitar tells you what it is and is one of the main aspects of the guitar that makes it look cool, it's pretty far down the list of what makes a guitar what it is to the person playing it.

Neck thickness, tremolo/bridge type, fretboard radius, scale length, what the pickups sound like, how the electronics work, all that stuff is way more important than body shape. Basically what I'm saying is that if anything, the gimmick needs to be exactly opposite of this. You should get one body and a bunch of different necks/pickup/bridge combos. Of course that would be a lot more expensive and at that point you might as well have different fully complete guitars anyway.

I'd imagine its best use would be to just add some variety to the looks of a live show. But even then, how clumsy would it look to have to break between songs and take 30-40 seconds if you're good to swap the body, strap, and cable?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 6, 2017

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

GreatGreen posted:

That's kind of a novel idea but it won't be adopted by anybody who knows what they're doing because while yes the body shape of a guitar tells you what it is and is one of the main aspects of the guitar that makes it look cool, it's pretty far down the list of what makes a guitar what it is to the person playing it.

Neck thickness, tremolo/bridge type, fretboard radius, scale length, what the pickups sound like, how the electronics work, all that stuff is way more important than body shape. Basically what I'm saying is that if anything, the gimmick needs to be exactly opposite of this. You should get one body and a bunch of different necks/pickup/bridge combos. Of course that would be a lot more expensive and at that point you might as well have different fully complete guitars anyway.

I'd imagine its best use would be to just add some variety to the looks of a live show. But even then, how clumsy would it look to have to break between songs and take 30-40 seconds if you're good to swap the body, strap, and cable?

I think the primary market would be for the guy in his basement who likes to fart around on guitars and for a few bucks can pretend he's got an assortment of axes for a relatively cheap price. Unfortunately that market is also where those seeking exquisite tonewood also tend to reside, so I imagine this will be a failure.

I was just grabbing my popcorn in anticipation of people decrying the body for denying them their precious tone.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
like 99% of guitar related "innovations" it's pointless and doesn't address any actual need but hey it makes dumb people angry so what the hell

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I don't want to swap out bodies, I want a solidbody guitar that's designed so pickups go in on something like a drive sled and connect to the harness via something like a sata plug. Slot all this in from the side so you can replace the pickups without having to take everything apart. I've seen a couple guitars that were sorta frankenstein'd into something like this for testing gear, and when I replaced the harness in my Ibanez archtop I used molex connectors, but I think replacing pickups ought to be something that just takes a couple seconds on a solidbody electric. Like by default.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

SubG posted:

I don't want to swap out bodies, I want a solidbody guitar that's designed so pickups go in on something like a drive sled and connect to the harness via something like a sata plug. Slot all this in from the side so you can replace the pickups without having to take everything apart. I've seen a couple guitars that were sorta frankenstein'd into something like this for testing gear, and when I replaced the harness in my Ibanez archtop I used molex connectors, but I think replacing pickups ought to be something that just takes a couple seconds on a solidbody electric. Like by default.

Yeah me too. EMG uses a standardized system like this where every EMG pickup comes connected to a little female connector that looks like what you'd find at the end of the wires on a CPU fan, and they will plug instantly into any guitar setup for EMG pickups.

Most other pickup companies just seem to send out pickups with bare leads for soldering and that's it. On the other hand, if you know how to solder and know about wiring in general, you could probably just wire all your own pickups like this yourself and just swap them out when you need to.

What the industry really needs is a way to somehow wire pickup changes to MIDI so you don't have to use your hands to swap pickup configurations if you don't want.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

SubG posted:

This has been a thing since the seventies, but never caught on because after all why would guitarists not need an excuse to buy a new guitar?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I feel like the body swap guitar is an idea where even if people really wanted it it would just get copied right away.

Sweaty IT Nerd fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 7, 2017

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

stillvisions posted:

Not stupid, but guaranteed to provoke arguments aplenty about tone so I'm for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck0fmku1orA

This is the most pointless boring guitar "innovation" I've seen in a good while

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

darkwasthenight posted:

This has been a thing since the seventies, but never caught on because after all why would guitarists not need an excuse to buy a new guitar?

So what you're saying is Guitarists are stupid.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

What the industry really needs is a way to somehow wire pickup changes to MIDI so you don't have to use your hands to swap pickup configurations if you don't want.

or a pickup emulator device with a settings switch located on the guitar

SubG posted:

fender tried something like that a couple years ago with removable cards in the back of the body, but they were for different wiring configurations than changing pickups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7QcyxZvwvo

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Were solid state amplifiers (and I guess computer modeling) really the only actual guitar innovation that's not been kooky poo poo for dorklords?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Modeling is probably the most recent thing I'd call an innovation, yeah.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spanish Manlove posted:

Were solid state amplifiers (and I guess computer modeling) really the only actual guitar innovation that's not been kooky poo poo for dorklords?

There just so happens to be a company on the forefront of guitar innovation:

I hate this as much as I hate the guy who runs a guitar pedal component business called bitcheslovemyswitches.com.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I hate this as much as I hate the guy who runs a guitar pedal component business called bitcheslovemyswitches.com.

to be fair that guy is super nice, sells quality stuff and prices competitively

but yeah

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

engineered wood products and non-wood materials

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

engineered wood products and non-wood materials

while not a big flashy innovation, it's still an awesome one

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Concatenation posted:

to be fair that guy is super nice, sells quality stuff and prices competitively

but yeah

yea he cool and good :(

but cmon bro.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

s.i.r.e. posted:

So what you're saying is Guitarists are stupid.

If they weren't stupid they wouldn't be guitarists. They'd be pianists or saxophonists or accountants or something you can actually make money doing in 2017.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Saxophone is an easy ticket to money? What a hosed up world.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Snowy posted:

Saxophone is an easy ticket to money? What a hosed up world.

Turns out its just so embarrassing to play in public that you need to pay people to do it.

Seriously though, the biggest culture shock for me when I moved from my lovely rock bands into the extremely loose fringe of the jazz circles is that everyone involved automatically expected to be paid.

I've got a few mates who make decent money going out to club nights and playing live improv sax or percussion over a DJ, and you can make bank just doing wedding receptions and soloing over a backing track once you've got the contacts.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Old but it made me lol:

http://blogs.wsj.com/bankruptcy/2015/01/15/your-bankruptcy-is-a-wonderland-john-mayer-may-get-stiffed-on-amp-sale/

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Would you mind copying and pasting the article for those of us who don't really want to sign into the Wall Street Journal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah me too. EMG uses a standardized system like this where every EMG pickup comes connected to a little female connector that looks like what you'd find at the end of the wires on a CPU fan, and they will plug instantly into any guitar setup for EMG pickups.

Most other pickup companies just seem to send out pickups with bare leads for soldering and that's it. On the other hand, if you know how to solder and know about wiring in general, you could probably just wire all your own pickups like this yourself and just swap them out when you need to.
Yeah. The problem is that even when companies standardise they all create their own standards. If I buy a HD, I have a reasonable expectation that I can just open up whatever I'm putting it in and it'll just work. Like sure there are a couple flavours of SATA and before SATA there was IDE and so on, and there are 2.5" drives and 3.5" drives and whatever the gently caress. But replacing a drive is something that you can do on a modern computer (or whatever) in a couple minutes with just a screwdriver (and sometimes with no tools at all). There's no practical reason why twiddling the electronics on an electric guitar shouldn't work the same way, just the massive inertia of an industry that's never had to worry about poo poo like that.

• Locked thread