Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah poo poo was pretty buggy at launch, quests bugged out A LOT, although often times log out/log in fixed, it still was a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I could fire off a GIGANTIC list of broken poo poo pre-1.6, but I'm not going to. I'll just say that being a vampire DK or Sorc is and will probably remain the most broken poo poo ever in terms of gameplay.

Anyway, Double Bank Space is confirmed as a new ESO+ Feature coming in June with the release of Morrowind

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Why not? I love hearing about weird and broken things in MMOs.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Mizuti posted:

Just off the top of my head:

The client had a lot of patching/updating problems that would result in people having to uninstall/reinstall the whole thing. Some of us had to do it 5+ times in the few weeks after launch.

Extreme loading times that got worse with every patch.

The majority of the players got blocked by one of the last mainstory quests for days if not weeks. They rolled out multiple fixes but none of them took. This was back when you had to finish the quest to progress. It resulted in hundreds of players standing around this NPC trying to make him work. The handful of players that got through the quest were able to finish the story, start veteran content and got significantly ahead of much of the playerbase.

Speaking of veteran content, the endgame was a giant loving grindfest. Once you hit 50 it was basically another two times leveling through to 50 to get VR 10 (You needed to do all of the quests in all three factions unless you really wanted to grind a bunch). But it wasn't as easy as 50 the first time; No, the mobs did huge amounts of damage to many specs and doing the content without a group was slow and tedious.

Major item dupe bugs. Bugs that were so basic and simple that it's surprising they were never caught/fixed.

As Scy said, Vampire/Sorc or Vamp/DK was a disgusting level of op in that you could kill a group of people and just slip away. Everyone in PvP had to take fighter's guild abilities to have a chance to counter you. Vamp/Sorc/Emp was nearly unkillable.

The key to early PvP (and PvE) was animation cancelling with shield bash to do ridiculous amounts of damage in a few seconds.

Abilities/Spells had so many bugs at launch. I had a running list for a while on the forum that is still visible: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/82639/comprehensive-list-of-bugged-broken-unbalanced-skills?new=1

Some highlights:

quote:

Weapon Power/Spell Power and Crit: In general, most weapon skills scale with weapon power, stamina, and weapon crit. In general, most class abilities scale with spell power, magicka, and spell crit. However, several melee class abilities scale with magicka and spell power but use weapon crit. Is this intended? On the flip side, some weapon abilities (I'm looking at you puncture) scale with magicka and spell power. This needs to be uniform, there needs to be an indicator for what an ability scales with. Also some of the magicka scaling melee abilities are resisted by armor and some by spell resistance. WHAT? That's awful design that keeps the player clueless.

Characters will somtimes break and be unable to execute any abilities. Pressing ESC several times often fixes the problem. Occasionally, the problem is only fixed through relogging.

Heals will often hit companion pets or npcs instead of players. If you don't have a player perfectly targetted, the heal often won't hit them.

Bolstering often reduces armor and other stats if you are not yet 50 especially bonus stats granted from abilities.

Skill EXP bugs Skill lines sometimes become bugged and unable to gain any skill line experience.

Respecs Upon a respec, a skill may not be refunded. If this happens, the skill point is still invested in the skill but the skill becomes unusable and no points may be put into the skill. This means that the skill may not be used, advanced, or morphed.

Breath of Life: The smart heal component isn't so smart. It often heals full hp targets, companion pets, or npcs in the area over players. It shouldn't ever hit npcs or companion pets over low health players.

Repentence: Beams of light similar to those when will frequently randomly hit the player from miles away even when the ability isn't activated. They don't seem to restore anything.

Cleansing Ritual (and all morphs): Only the first tick of the healing area actually works. The other ticks do not activate unless you run out of the aoe and run back in.

Vampire Ult cost reduction from stages doesn't seem to last through zoning and various other situations.

Dark Stalker: Passive removed by death. Must trigger a loading screen or relog to fix.

Pounce: If a target dies while you are pouncing it, you can become stuck in the pounce animation and unable to do anything until you shift out.

I could go on and on. Nightblade was so bad that they were close to unplayable in a lot of situations (basically everything related to their invis didn't work right).

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Mizuti posted:

Vampires had an Ultimate that was a pulsing AoE life drain.

This ultimate also generated ultimate charges.

So Vamps could run into a zerg spam a pulsing AoE life drain and be unkillable.

And if they were DKs they could spam out pre-nerf flame banners that would perma root people in the fire and life drain.

You can probably still find the 50v1 videos on youtube.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I assume that whole forest area in Coldharbor used to actually be dark, right? The quest dialogue really doesn't make sense as it is now.

Also there's a supply depot in the Hollow City that isn't used at all. Was this where you turned in max level writs before they added Craglorn, or what?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Rollersnake posted:

I assume that whole forest area in Coldharbor used to actually be dark, right? The quest dialogue really doesn't make sense as it is now.

Also there's a supply depot in the Hollow City that isn't used at all. Was this where you turned in max level writs before they added Craglorn, or what?

You turn in stuff there, it's just low level, I've had a char leveling tradeskills that ended up turning stuff in there at some point.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mizuti posted:

My favorite really early bug was a side-quest where you had to fight a boss that had a really hard-hitting attack. The attack could be avoided, and there were NPCs around the battle area that would tell you how to avoid the attack - but when the game released the NPCs voices for that part of the quest were in German instead of English.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Overemotional Robot posted:

So, which one is the best now, mag or Stam sorc?

Also, how do I level undaunted and fighters guild? Do I just do dungeons and fight daedra, or do those lines also level from having skills on your bar?

Undaunted!

Undaunted!

Undaunted!

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

g0del posted:

My favorite really early bug was a side-quest where you had to fight a boss that had a really hard-hitting attack. The attack could be avoided, and there were NPCs around the battle area that would tell you how to avoid the attack - but when the game released the NPCs voices for that part of the quest were in German instead of English.

That was great, because they were dryads or something that were telling you how to avoid the attack. And why would the Breton Nightblade or whatever know a god drat thing about their language? I never knew or cared that it was a bug, because it was fun.

Also it was a pretty straightforward mechanic that you could figure out by watching your screen so it's not like everyone was hosed or something.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

g0del posted:

That is amazing and hilarious and should have been kept in.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Also, double posting but whatever, but I wanna thank Dori and Nahis(sp?) for helping me out massively. Dori for crafting my gear, and Narhis (sorry I'm really bad with names!) for hooking me up with wisdom jewelry and food and combat advice. I've been able to clear 4man dungeons solo with maybe 1 or 2 deaths on the final boss while I'm figuring it out, and it's pretty awesome. Thanks you guys :)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

g0del posted:

This was the best bug, but the fact that the game showed what they said in english text did keep it from being a mystery unless you don't read.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Are there any new weapons for the Morrowind expansion? I would like Spear to be a weapon again tyvm.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Mizuti posted:

Everyone knows that this game didn't have a great launch, but I wasn't there. Anyone want to share their janky experiences with the early game?

Mirroring some others about the German dialog - The quest chain was in Daggerfall and everything was normal up until you conjured these elemental spirits. My friend and I died laughing at the inexplicable German.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Morrowind PTS will be a closed beta, complete with NDA

WTB invite

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

5 Stormproof characters. Time to work on the second Flawless (1st one was my stamsorc, stupid low score)

Edit: Posting build because this was all crafted + Willpower (5x Julianos 2x Torugs 1x Molag Kena 3x Willpower)

Bars were: (Ultimates in bold)
Bar 1: Funnel Health, Harness Magicka, Impale, Merciless Resolve, Inner Light, Soul Harvest
Bar 2: Crippling Grasp, Refreshing Path, Elemental Blockade, Sap Essence, Siphoning Attacks, Elemental Rage

Basically, you front bar Soul Harvest to build ulti since that's the main bar you'll be landing killing blows from. Ultimate builds super fast like that, and whenever you're in a hot spot or on a mini/final boss, you have Elemental Rage at the ready.

Edit 2:
Read here if you want a stage-by-stage guide to Veteran Maelstrom Arena

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 6, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So is this game for typical MMO addicts, or more for people who love TES world exploration, or whatever else? I'm looking 'round for something new to play while FFXIV doesn't appeal, and the Steam thread was talking this game up a bit. I bounced off of Oblivion and Skyrim after about ten hours each, however, and it's been a very long time since I've tried either.

(ed) Also the second post mentions magicka builds being weak, is that still a thing? I like to burn/electrify/freeze things in my games with elaborate over the top explosions and poo poo, given the option :v:

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

So is this game for typical MMO addicts, or more for people who love TES world exploration, or whatever else? I'm looking 'round for something new to play while FFXIV doesn't appeal, and the Steam thread was talking this game up a bit. I bounced off of Oblivion and Skyrim after about ten hours each, however, and it's been a very long time since I've tried either.

(ed) Also the second post mentions magicka builds being weak, is that still a thing? I like to burn/electrify/freeze things in my games with elaborate over the top explosions and poo poo, given the option :v:

To me it's very much like your typical TES game, but with less jank and physics interaction, sprinkled with some traditional MMO trappings that you can pretty much completely ignore if you want to just run around exploring, doing quests and killing stuff.

As far as Magicka builds being weak I'm a magicka nightblade and while I had some issues at first, it's fun and playable and I can destroy poo poo with lightening and fire without any problems really. I only do PVE though, so I can't speak to how it holds up in PVP.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 7, 2017

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Magicka builds are dominating right now

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Ciaphas posted:

So is this game for typical MMO addicts, or more for people who love TES world exploration, or whatever else? I'm looking 'round for something new to play while FFXIV doesn't appeal, and the Steam thread was talking this game up a bit.

I mean, FF14 is the quintessential example of an MMO addict game. ESO is still an MMO but the fact that you can go to any zone at level 1 makes the exploration aspect pretty awesome. I'd say of the big MMOs this feels the least MMO-y, but make no mistake, its still very much an MMO. It helps that the combat is a lot better than Skyrim's.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I never played other tes games but this one is very fun, glad I didn't touch it before one tamriel though because playing it while levels mattered must've been miserable. It's definitely not for MMO addicts because I still spend way more time playing XIV but it's a nice change of pace, with a lot of freedom, different controls and combat and very interesting questing.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

Anyone who showed interest in the Progression Crew stuff, please find me ingame or whisper me on the goon Discord server as soon as you possibly can (preferably tonight). Something came up that is of interest to us, and might be of interest to you as well.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
Are there any good new player guides/videos? I made a guy and got him to level 15 and I'm still not sure what I'm doing. I know that I can PvP now, but how does that work with skills and stuff? Can I get exp in there, is it worth it if I am having a difficult time leveling? Wish there was a tutorial or something.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Second post has some build guides but to be honest the whole Cyrodill thing is confusing as gently caress and the game does a poor job of explaining it. All I hear is follow the Zerg.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
Noting that magicka builds are dominate right now, what's the lesser of two evils, doing a stamsorc or doing a magicka sorc on a stamina race?

I mean optimally I'd just do a magicka build on a magicka race, but I don't think I have the attention span to redo all the necessary quests again.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Scyantific posted:

Anyone who showed interest in the Progression Crew stuff, please find me ingame or whisper me on the goon Discord server as soon as you possibly can (preferably tonight). Something came up that is of interest to us, and might be of interest to you as well.

I smell a beta participant.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Conskill posted:

Noting that magicka builds are dominate right now, what's the lesser of two evils, doing a stamsorc or doing a magicka sorc on a stamina race?

I mean optimally I'd just do a magicka build on a magicka race, but I don't think I have the attention span to redo all the necessary quests again.

Well, all the magicka races are dumb (except Argonians) and all the stamina races are loving sweet (except Wood Elves). Personally I would base my choice around that.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

Conskill posted:

So, there really is not an optimal race for switching back and forth between stam and magicka. That said, you can probably get away with it by being a Dunmer (They get bonuses to max stam and magicka)

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

RFC2324 posted:

This was the best bug, but the fact that the game showed what they said in english text did keep it from being a mystery unless you don't read.

up until I think 1.4 or something like that, all NPC with the nereid model only spoke German.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

I smell a beta participant.

Nah, found a raiding guild that needs people. Far better than having to manage all of that poo poo myself. I want my trial titles.

Bustycops
Mar 3, 2010

Sup Lads

Scyantific posted:

Nah, found a raiding guild that needs people. Far better than having to manage all of that poo poo myself. I want my trial titles.

Now if only they would give out trial mounts as well.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Seht is giving out a fabricant for cleaning up his storage bins then. Would make a great incentive to even try with the entry bar of trials. Hoping Vvardenfell also gives "hero" sets so I don't have to hide helmet all the time then.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
do you need username or character name to get a goon invite? I just rolled EP and need a guild

here's both: username @morag_rask character name Tuph Bigshield

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 8, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I mean, FF14 is the quintessential example of an MMO addict game. ESO is still an MMO but the fact that you can go to any zone at level 1 makes the exploration aspect pretty awesome. I'd say of the big MMOs this feels the least MMO-y, but make no mistake, its still very much an MMO. It helps that the combat is a lot better than Skyrim's.

I imagine, then, that if I generally don't like exploration-based games (I bounced hard off of Breath of the Wild, for example) there's not much point buying in to this, is there?

Still thinking about it. What's the difference between the two versions on Steam (or should I avoid steam for some reason)?

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I imagine, then, that if I generally don't like exploration-based games (I bounced hard off of Breath of the Wild, for example) there's not much point buying in to this, is there?

maybe this will help? it's a really big MMO world with a lot to do not sure what else to say tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWTmLx79-9A

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Ciaphas posted:

Still thinking about it. What's the difference between the two versions on Steam (or should I avoid steam for some reason)?

It's hard to say. If you need strict structure to your games, which it sounds like you do, then I would guess that ESO wouldn't be your cup of tea. Or maybe it has JUST ENOUGH structure that you can find enjoyment in the exploration aspect. Too bad there's not a trial.

As far as the steam version goes, I say avoid, because you will be forced to do all of your future purchases through steam forever. Any non steam sales will be lost to you (as far as I know)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It's hard to say. If you need strict structure to your games, which it sounds like you do, then I would guess that ESO wouldn't be your cup of tea. Or maybe it has JUST ENOUGH structure that you can find enjoyment in the exploration aspect. Too bad there's not a trial.

As far as the steam version goes, I say avoid, because you will be forced to do all of your future purchases through steam forever. Any non steam sales will be lost to you (as far as I know)

Yeah, it's tough to say what I'll like. I had to run screaming from Breath of the Wild, as I said, but I usually love Metroid-likes (Environmental Station Alpha GOTY all years), so it's not just exploration that gets to me. Shrug!

Thanks for the info. 'nother question, does this game have much in the way of complicated boss combats, be they solo or group? My favorite parts of FFXIV was always seeing new bosses and dungeons with unique (or at least refreshed) mechanics, especially the eight player Trials which were just a single lengthy boss fight.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Group bosses are interesting to fight and some of them get pretty complicated—like, the final boss of Maw of Lorkhaj requires players to periodically run to another room to kill hidden cultists in order to prevent the boss from performing an instakill attack, while other players have to stay and fend off the boss, and neither group can see what the other is doing. Most solo/delve bosses either don't do anything interesting or are dead before they ever get a chance to. The major exception to that would be the arenas, which I haven't tried yet.

As for the different versions, Gold comes with all the content DLC except for Shadows of the Hist, but if you subscribe, you have access to all the content DLC regardless.

You can easily play through the whole game without subscribing, but the limited inventory space will present a problem if you want to do a lot of crafting, and especially if you want to make furniture.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i wish this loving game had console pc crossplay, because i only have a ps4