Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Is that ascending or descending order because I have some bad news for you if it's ascending.

Ascending, and what exactly is your bad news? If it's that the Kings, Lakers and Nets don't own those picks then yeah that's the entire point of my post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Yeah that's a perfect scenario right there.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus, PHI would have 1,5,6(prob - their own)at that point. Cleveland had 1 and 4 w Kyrie and TT. What other teams have had 2 lottos picks? 3?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paul Zuvella posted:

Ascending, and what exactly is your bad news? If it's that the Kings, Lakers and Nets don't own those picks then yeah that's the entire point of my post.

Isn't the Lakers pick protected top three though?

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IcePhoenix posted:

Isn't the Lakers pick protected top three though?

Yeah, i think in that scenario he's saying its at #5.

Utah also had 2 lotto pick in the Kyrie year, Burks/Kanter.
PHX last year although one was traded. And PHI before but trade Payton.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ButtWolf posted:

Yeah, i think in that scenario he's saying its at #5.

Oooh, yeah that makes sense. When I see "ascending" when referring to stuff like draft picks or seeding I always count down while going "up"

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

IcePhoenix posted:

Oooh, yeah that makes sense. When I see "ascending" when referring to stuff like draft picks or seeding I always count down while going "up"

Uh

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

ButtWolf posted:

Jesus, PHI would have 1,5,6(prob - their own)at that point. Cleveland had 1 and 4 w Kyrie and TT. What other teams have had 2 lottos picks? 3?

They'd only have 1 and 5 in this scenario. The SAC pick would convey as a swap.

Would still be amazing.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

5-4-3-2-1 = Ascending, because the first pick/seed is the highest.

So when he said his list was ascending I thought he had the Lakers with the first pick.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ascending. The numbers get higher. 2 is higher than 1, 3 is higher than 2. That's how numbers ascend.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
Here are the 4 top scoring NBA players ever.
A list of top scorers ascending goes Jordan, Bryant, Malone, Abdul-Jabbar, because for the purposes of "who is the best scorer" 1st place is greater than 2nd is greater than 3rd is greater than 4th. Same for the draft.
code:
Rank	Player	Total points
1	Kareem Abdul-Jabbar*	38,387
2	Karl Malone*	36,928
3	Kobe Bryant†	33,643
4	Michael Jordan*	32,292

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paul Zuvella posted:

Ascending. The numbers get higher. 2 is higher than 1, 3 is higher than 2. That's how numbers ascend.

as·cend·ing
əˈsendiNG/Submit
adjective
increasing in size or importance.

unless you think the second pick is worth more than the first I guess :shrug:

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

aBagorn posted:

They'd only have 1 and 5 in this scenario. The SAC pick would convey as a swap.

Would still be amazing.

Yeah my bad. Even still that woud mean Fultz and maybe Monk or something which would be ridiculous.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

ButtWolf posted:

Yeah my bad. Even still that woud mean Fultz and maybe Monk or something which would be ridiculous.

I still wouldn't take Monk

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I think Malik Monk would be perfect for Philly mostly because it would leave a PG on the board for the Kings

I think Markkanen would be perfect for Minnesota because it would leave a SF/PF on the board for the Kings

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the Knicks at best can end up slotted at 4, if Orlando and Philly both win out and the Knicks lose out. Orlando has the Nets, Indiana, Chicago, and Detroit left. Philly has Chicago, Milwaukee, Indiana, and the Knicks remaining. The Knicks have Washington, Memphis, Toronto, and the Sixers.

I think the odds are good that the Knicks end up locked in at 5, because three of the final four are good teams. It depends on Chicago managing to be good enough to win a couple of games too.

The Knicks definitely need a guard over anything else, and Fultz, Ball and Monk might all be gone at the point. So I'm hoping the Knicks take a high upside guy like Ntilikana, or a Dennis Smith. DeAaron Fox looks really good on defense, but man, he can't shoot at all, and we all know that doesn't play these days

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I don't normally like microwave scoring guys like Monk who offer shooting and not much else but considering how good of a shooter he is and how perfectly he'd fit with the current Sixers core I'd love to leave the draft pick with him.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

IcePhoenix posted:

as·cend·ing
əˈsendiNG/Submit
adjective
increasing in size or importance.

unless you think the second pick is worth more than the first I guess :shrug:

Jesus christ

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

Jesus christ

I think it's a symptom of using BBReference a ton. "Ascending" becomes an extra box you can click meaning "reverse order"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cool Buff Man posted:

Jesus christ

That's a different use of ascending, actually

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Ty1990 posted:

I don't normally like microwave scoring guys like Monk who offer shooting and not much else but considering how good of a shooter he is and how perfectly he'd fit with the current Sixers core I'd love to leave the draft pick with him.

I truly believe that Monk is more than that, he just didn't get a chance to show it much because of Fox/Briscoe. He's extremely athletic and there were a bunch of times where it looked like he could run an offense. I don't see why he can't be a Kyrie type of player.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Lonzo Ball declared today, not that it's any surprise

Presumably it'll result in his dad picking another fight with somebody anyways

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

mikeraskol posted:

I truly believe that Monk is more than that, he just didn't get a chance to show it much because of Fox/Briscoe. He's extremely athletic and there were a bunch of times where it looked like he could run an offense. I don't see why he can't be a Kyrie type of player.

That's an interesting comp IMO, cause on a team without the best player in the world who is also a top 10 passer and playmaker, I think Kyrie is something like Gilbert Arenas. He's already extremely similar. That's fine and even cool, but I think not a player who can lead a contender.

for real look at this poo poo they are almost indistinguishable.

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 6, 2017

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Lonzo Ball declared today, not that it's any surprise

Presumably it'll result in his dad picking another fight with somebody anyways

Everyone not named Magic Johnson, probably.

Honestly I'd love to see the Lakers get the #1 pick (if they can), tell LaVar that they'd take his boy, and then take Fultz or someone else, just for the reaction.

Then tell him if he really wants Lonzo to only be a Laker they'll take him in the 2nd Round :getin:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

DeimosRising posted:

That's an interesting comp IMO, cause on a team without the best player in the world who is also a top 10 passer and playmaker, I think Kyrie is something like Gilbert Arenas. He's already extremely similar. That's fine and even cool, but I think not a player who can lead a contender.

for real look at this poo poo they are almost indistinguishable.

That is amazing. lol

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Kibner posted:

That is amazing. lol

I'd always thought they were similar on the court but never looked at the numbers. Probably the most unreal correspondence I've ever seen, same height, same weight, virtually every stat the same. Kyrie is slightly more accurate on a slightly worse shot selection, and the mirror is so perfect it results in the same TS%. Gil was healthier and played more minutes, but his teammates shot worse so he had a lower ast%. Same guy otherwise.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

IcePhoenix posted:

That's a different use of ascending, actually

Haha ok I liked that one

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

mikeraskol posted:

Kyrie already demonstrated at least some enjoyment in passing in college, like there's a reason that Monk gets the Lou Williams comp. Yeah sometimes he can run an offense, heck sometimes he can even run it well, but in reality he just really seems like he wants to call his own number, and, heck sometimes that's great too, but in the end he's 6'2" and probably won't be able to defend SGs which is really the only place he's probably safe being played at with that mentality so you can only get so much out of him.

Like that's a knock but a guy who probably is gonna be a good 6thman is a perfectly acceptable pick at 5 (or higher if you're the Sixers and have multiple picks).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Kyrie already demonstrated at least some enjoyment in passing in college, like there's a reason that Monk gets the Lou Williams comp. Yeah sometimes he can run an offense, heck sometimes he can even run it well, but in reality he just really seems like he wants to call his own number, and, heck sometimes that's great too, but in the end he's 6'2" and probably won't be able to defend SGs which is really the only place he's probably safe being played at with that mentality so you can only get so much out of him.

Like that's a knock but a guy who probably is gonna be a good 6thman is a perfectly acceptable pick at 5 (or higher if you're the Sixers and have multiple picks).

Yeah I like Monk a lot but the only reason anyone has ever called him a point guard is because he's short.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
eh, Monk is only 19, in his one season at Kentucky playing off-ball he averaged 2.3 apg.
Eric Bledsoe in his one Kentucky season playing off-ball averaged 2.9 apg and has been a fine NBA PG.

If you are just rating players on their Kentucky careers, Anthony Davis can't play offense, and Karl Anthony-Towns can't play outside the post

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Rick posted:

Kyrie already demonstrated at least some enjoyment in passing in college, like there's a reason that Monk gets the Lou Williams comp.

I've watched almost every Kentucky game this season and saying he didn't get enjoyment out of passing in college is demonstrably false, especially as it got later in the season.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

mikeraskol posted:

I've watched almost every Kentucky game this season and saying he didn't get enjoyment out of passing in college is demonstrably false, especially as it got later in the season.

Well, if it's demonstrable, then point me to these demonstrations. Because it just doesn't jive with what I've seen, and while it's certainly not every game it's still several over the course of the season.

ragle posted:

eh, Monk is only 19, in his one season at Kentucky playing off-ball he averaged 2.3 apg.
Eric Bledsoe in his one Kentucky season playing off-ball averaged 2.9 apg and has been a fine NBA PG.

If you are just rating players on their Kentucky careers, Anthony Davis can't play offense, and Karl Anthony-Towns can't play outside the post

One of the main knocks on Bledsoe throughout his career has been that he dials his own number a lot, and he's arguably been most effective as an off-the-bench instant offense energy guy which is how every coach that's had another option at point has used him. So this really isn't a great counterexample.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
"Old dumbs inaccurately criticize Eric Bledsoe's play therefore" yeah.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Ah I responded to Ragle, my bad.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
Eric Bledsoe averaging 21.1/6.3 this season on 56.3% TS and you criticize his passing and say he's better off the bench as a 6th man hunting his own shot

D'Angelo Russell had 4.8 apg this season and you just made a post in the NBA N/V thread saying people who question his ability to run an offense are "hardcore Russell haters" and "even if you believe that Russell can't run an offense (even though the numbers and watching the team regularly suggest otherwise), "

If you look at assists per game, there are a handful of elite distributors at the top like LeBron and CP3, then there a bunch mixed together including Bledsoe who is 16th in the league for assists per game. If his passing is disqualifying for playing PG then Steph, Conley, Schroeder , IT2 and Dragic are also disqualified for having similar numbers.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Assists != running an offense.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rick posted:

That's why the Sixers should draft him because their PG will be 7' Simmons and they will conveniently leave Smith or Fox on the board for the Kings.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Does anyone have an opinion of Zach Collins?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I have a mini opinion of him, although I've only seen like his tournament games and one other game because Gonzaga games just weren't on a ton. But basically in what I saw he has a fairly nice jumper, at least a few finesse post moves, and like a general idea of what to do on defense, but it seems a lot of times he still makes major mistakes anyway (on both sides of the ball). That could be just being young maybe.

A weird thing that I noticed is like he's a good sport. Like if he runs into someone he apologizes to them, that sort of thing, and he does it a lot. That's neither here nor there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Rick posted:

A weird thing that I noticed is like he's a good sport. Like if he runs into someone he apologizes to them, that sort of thing, and he does it a lot. That's neither here nor there.
I don't think that's a weird thing to notice. That's probably not a bad trait for an NBA prospect to have. On the flip side, if a team were to take Grayson Allen the NBA would loving eat him alive because every single opponent would find exactly what button to push to set him off at a moment's notice and do something real stupid to hurt himself and his team.

• Locked thread