Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Longbaugh01 posted:

Nah man. They were all chill and just wanted to share their space pizza and be space bros.

All like "Hey fellas you followed the clues we left, good job welcome to the pizza party"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
It was an underappreciated moment from episode 10, but I just want to say how much I loved the future hobo camp with all of its smart technology. Smart hobo pots, smart hobo still, smart hobo tent. Just an illustration of how life on Earth loving sucks if you slipped through the cracks, and yet in some ways you still have it better than the unwanted of the Belt, where you almost can't slip through the cracks, because the cracks lead to space where you die.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
You can also slip into a recycler and become next week's kibble.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

unlawfulsoup posted:

It was really rich for him to be telling that to a marine who was injured and whose squad was wiped out. Oh hey, you don't really know sacrifice, I had to hide under a desk once. :smug:

He also claims to be a chaplain (I say claims because what kind of chaplain is going to be involved in something like the Caliban project?), so he's a non-combatant. Which makes the entitlement even more rich.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
"Chaplain" seems to pretty much be code for something like a political officer, considering how he's been behaving with Bobbie.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

He lied to her to gain her trust. It's not that complicated.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I get the feeling Holden's gonna murder that other guy when they find his daughter hiding in a crater somewhere. He's gone pretty far, but can Holden murder a child (with the same look of resigned disappointment on his face as when he drops a plate with birthday cake on it)?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Quick question: what's going on with the Martians on Earth and the horizon? Martens curses it before leaving the shuttle and Bobbie gets that special help from the doctor.

Differences in gravity or apparent brightness of the sun make sense, but isn't there still a horizon on Mars?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The horizon is probably lower on Mars due to its smaller size so their equilibrium is off when they look at the Earth horizon.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Solkanar512 posted:

Quick question: what's going on with the Martians on Earth and the horizon? Martens curses it before leaving the shuttle and Bobbie gets that special help from the doctor.

Differences in gravity or apparent brightness of the sun make sense, but isn't there still a horizon on Mars?

Martians live in caves, basically.

There are four billion Martians and few of them have opportunity to gaze at the horizon.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I liked the gravity assist scenes and I was also OK with how the coffin was vaporized because it is a science fiction TV show and sometimes science fictiony things happen.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
I like that we never get a clear shot of the proto-monsters and I'm not looking forward to this inevitably ending at some point.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Fister Roboto posted:

He lied to her to gain her trust. It's not that complicated.

He would have had to lie to the whole crew then, because he was the ship chaplain talking about knowing her dad before she ever went to Ganymede.

Being a chaplain is obviously just a cover for him being some sort of secret political officer but it still adds to the irony that the guy bitching about her generation being soft is, on paper at least, a non-combatant.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ApathyGifted posted:

He would have had to lie to the whole crew then, because he was the ship chaplain talking about knowing her dad before she ever went to Ganymede.

Being a chaplain is obviously just a cover for him being some sort of secret political officer but it still adds to the irony that the guy bitching about her generation being soft is, on paper at least, a non-combatant.

Did you not hear how when he as a kid they made him do drills where he had to bravely hide under his desk? Can you even imagine asking someone to do that in the name of their country, to sit under a table? Entitled kids today don't even know to stop drop and roll. My grandpa still has PTSD from his stop drop and roll drills back when he was a kid, but he gave up his childhood for mars, for the cause.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Phanatic posted:

What? No, it doesn't consider only that.

The difficulty of stealth in space is predicated on the fact that when things warm up, they radiate, and being able to scan the whole sky for that radiation is a fairly modest task, well within the capability of any entity that can actually engage in advanced interplanetary travel. It doesn't mean you can instantly spot every object in the sky, no, but it does mean you can scan the entire sky at a sufficiently-rapid rate to detect this radiation with sufficient rapidity to render most means of avoid detection pretty much impossible. Even inert objects like dead rocks radiate in the IR well brighter than the background. Fire a high-thrust engine, you'll be seen. Cold-gas thrusters, okay, perhaps not, but the maneuvering capability with those is insignificant. Things like ion engines require a power source, which will also generate heat. If you're carrying people on board, those people need a warm environment to survive in. Imperfect stealth would be things like sequestering your heat in some insulated region of the ship, which will only work for a while because everything tends towards equilibrium. Or into a mass of coolant that you can dump overboard when able. Or trying to hide yourself against a brighter background, like the sun, which can only work in certain limited situations. These are all mentioned there, so yeah, it definitely covers the grey area in between.

Sir this is a Wendy's drive-thru.

Really liked that episode but I'm no space nerd looking for imperfections in my fictional space show. Nothing to really complain about except I found it odd the Protodude at the end didn't bumrush Alex when it was looking at them.

Doctor Butts posted:

I liked the gravity assist scenes and I was also OK with how the coffin was vaporized because it is a science fiction TV show and sometimes science fictiony things happen.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Baronjutter posted:

Did you not hear how when he as a kid they made him do drills where he had to bravely hide under his desk? Can you even imagine asking someone to do that in the name of their country, to sit under a table? Entitled kids today don't even know to stop drop and roll. My grandpa still has PTSD from his stop drop and roll drills back when he was a kid, but he gave up his childhood for mars, for the cause.
Everyone gets a terraforming participation trophy these days.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I feel like the closer a piece of sci-fi media is to realistic, the more it invites conversation about realism. It's a bit counterintuitive that way.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

It's frustrating because so far the series has been really good at depicting the space stuff accurately - aside from the stuff that is supposed to break the laws of physics, of course. Saying it's "science fictiony" doesn't really excuse it because it just doesn't make sense in a series where things usually make sense. It would be like showing a dude walking across the US in a day and saying "well it's just a fictional story so who cares".

Longbaugh01 posted:

I feel like the closer a piece of sci-fi media is to realistic, the more it invites conversation about realism. It's a bit counterintuitive that way.

The Uncanny Valley of hard scifi.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I thought it was really heavily implied that the protomolecule monster that escaped was Mei. I know that it's possible that it's just a fake out, but I kind of hope they don't pull that punch. As awful as it would be.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Strickland’s butterfly monologue was the creepiest thing.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 8, 2017

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Phy posted:

All like "Hey fellas you followed the clues we left, good job welcome to the pizza party"

it was a failed attempt to roll a bluff check

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Do you guys figure the proto monster still has a fully functioning human reproductive system?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Do you guys figure the proto monster still has a fully functioning human reproductive system?

:stare:

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

JossiRossi posted:

I thought it was really heavily implied that the protomolecule monster that escaped was Mei. I know that it's possible that it's just a fake out, but I kind of hope they don't pull that punch. As awful as it would be.

There were more kids than monsters in that Mei flashback. One burned, one test, one escaped. The rest with Strickland, wherever he is?

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Experiment for science.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

JossiRossi posted:

I thought it was really heavily implied that the protomolecule monster that escaped was Mei.

:aatrek:

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

:yikes:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Whoever told me I'd end up liking Bobbie was right. :3:

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

It was everyone who had read the books.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

You guys I'm loving furious about the Mei situation!

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Guys what if trying to burn the protomolecule like that caused it to vaporize itself in self defense with low budget special effects.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Venus probe sequence was a nice nod to the Russians IRL.

edit: IMO

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Strickland’s butterfly monologue was the creepiest thing.

I was trying to think of where I heard it before and now it just came to me. John Locke has almost the same speech on Lost.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ego-bot posted:

I was trying to think of where I heard it before and now it just came to me. John Locke has almost the same speech on Lost.

bingo

JohnCrichton
Mar 6, 2007
Welcome to the Federation Starship SS Buttcrack.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Yea, she sure is something! http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/912/269/the-rock-and-miley_display_image.jpg?1304445476

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Per the Churn podcast, during that bit in the last episode where Bobbie beats up Martens, they never got to swap out for a prop broken screen, because Frankie Adams threw Peter Outerbridge into the real one hard enough to break it. That throat punch was also really a fairly hard punch to the sternum.

Also, some disappointing maybe-spoiler information: for time/budget reasons, we won't see Bobbie's team getting wrecked, at least this season.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

idgi :shrug:

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Friend on FB: "If a cigarette could talk it would sound like Crisjen Avasarala"

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Subyng posted:

Yes but that doesn't mean you can instantly spot every object in the sky. One thing that really bugs me about Atomic Rocket's analysis of space stealth is that he only considers either perfect stealth or no stealth at all, with no grey area in between.

Was this a post you could link or a youtube video?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

unlawfulsoup posted:

Was this a post you could link or a youtube video?

It’s a website.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Apr 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That grenade scene was fantastic.

• Locked thread